Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On Holland America in the Queens lounge, there's a small section for wheelchairs. Behind the wheelchair is a padded bench where I sit. If I sit behind the wc I wouldn't be able to see so I have to move over. So I invite Wex to lay on the bench behind the chair. Worked out perfect! No one could really see him.

Also we have been taking a bus from the airport to the cruise terminal. Luckily there has always been 2 empty seats together, again invite him up. The aisle is too small for him to fit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I've been meaning to reply, Roz. Yes, there definitely are times you "do what you gotta do!" We were on a tour in Homer, Alaska where there are no tour buses, so they use school buses made for small people. Raylene and I got on, and there was no way she had a space to fit on the floor beneath the little vinyl-covered bench seat. So she jumped up on curled up next to me. Not ideal, but no real alternative that day.

Same thing happened this summer in Glacier National Park when we rode a "jammer" bus built in the 1920s. No floor space to settle, and in fact our back row was over the wheels, so even less leg room for people - forget about 70-lb dogs. It was very tight even boarding via curving small steps. She tried to ride standing squeezed in front of me, but eventually I gave her an "up" command and she curled in the corner of the back seat for the tour.

(That was the tour where the driver looked worried when we were boarding and asked if the dog liked children. On another shuttle van this summer in New Orleans, the driver said the dog could come but first they would have to ask all the other passengers if it was OK with them.)

As you said, "do what we got to do!"

"OK with them"????? Ask me how I feel about sitting with them????? I know we need not be rude.....but, don't you just want to kick somebody!

On Holland America in the Queens lounge, there's a small section for wheelchairs. Behind the wheelchair is a padded bench where I sit. If I sit behind the wc I wouldn't be able to see so I have to move over. So I invite Wex to lay on the bench behind the chair. Worked out perfect! No one could really see him.

Also we have been taking a bus from the airport to the cruise terminal. Luckily there has always been 2 empty seats together, again invite him up. The aisle is too small for him to fit.

I don't use a wheelchair but am remanded to the wheelchair section on many Princess ships because in the Princess Theatre's it's theatre seating and no benches, which makes it very difficult for Horton to lay down without being stepped on. If I get in the middle of an aisle usually we're safe but not always.

It can be very tricky to place Horton. I ALWAYS have to get to the theatre early to guarantee Horton and me a seat.

On our Panama Canal cruise the CD reserved seats for us in a really good spot and I didn't have to worry about getting there early.

People can be so weird about getting a seat and they don't give a guinea pigs butt about you and your dog!!!!!!

I don't use a wheelchair but am remanded to the wheelchair section on many

People can be so weird about getting a seat and they don't give a guinea pigs butt about you and your dog!!!!!!

LOL - that was a different visual you just gave me...

Mentioning the HAL Queens Lounge reminded me of the Zuiderdam last year. We often skip the shows, but discovered great "dog seats" on that ship. Not good for a wheelchair and a long walk, unfortunately. They were in a section of the upper level where the balcony curved all the way around at the end to partly overlook the stage below. There were a couple of short rows with a few seats and a dead end half-wall on one side, so I could settle Raylene there tucked into her own little corner on my left without worrying about people trying to step over us or on her tail in the dark. You couldn't see the entire stage due to the angle, so other people chose better rows, which left them open for us.

Mentioning the HAL Queens Lounge reminded me of the Zuiderdam last year. We often skip the shows, but discovered great "dog seats" on that ship. Not good for a wheelchair and a long walk, unfortunately. They were in a section of the upper level where the balcony curved all the way around at the end to partly overlook the stage below. There were a couple of short rows with a few seats and a dead end half-wall on one side, so I could settle Raylene there tucked into her own little corner on my left without worrying about people trying to step over us or on her tail in the dark. You couldn't see the entire stage due to the angle, so other people chose better rows, which left them open for us.

Very interesting.....On Princess ships, on the second level of the theatre is a set-up for the sound and lighting people and if you walk towards them there is a wall that separates them from the audience and is a safe place for Horton to lay down [against the wall] and not be stepped on, he will lay in front of the seat so folks will think the seat is empty and ask to sit there, where I have to tell them that there is a dog laying on the floor. I can get the most disgusted looks. Where do they think I keep Horton when I go to the theatre, in my purse? :confused:

Does anyone know if airbnb rentals are required to allow service dogs?

Linda and Halo.

Airbnb's are privately owned, they do invite the public to rent from them, within the USA, it does seem they would fall under the ADA guidelines and should rent to folks who have Service Dogs. They've only been around since 2008 and I have not read or heard any negative experiences from folks who have SD's and have used an airbnb. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been turned away who has an SD.

Houses of worship, although they do invite the public, are privately owned and can ask you to leave. It would be bad form on their part and they'd get some bad press if they refused us in. My SD's and I have been in many churches, temples and synagogues and have NEVER been asked to leave. Of course, their behavior is ALWAYS exemplary.

Airbnb's are privately owned, they do invite the public to rent from them, within the USA, it does seem they would fall under the ADA guidelines and should rent to folks who have Service Dogs. They've only been around since 2008 and I have not read or heard any negative experiences from folks who have SD's and have used an airbnb. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been turned away who has an SD.

Houses of worship, although they do invite the public, are privately owned and can ask you to leave. It would be bad form on their part and they'd get some bad press if they refused us in. My SD's and I have been in many churches, temples and synagogues and have NEVER been asked to leave. Of course, their behavior is ALWAYS exemplary.

I found out airbnb has to apply to ADA in that they cannot refuse or charge more for a service dog. They do not have to be ADA equipped but cannot refuse service dogs or any equipment required for the disability.

Linda and Halo

I found out airbnb has to apply to ADA in that they cannot refuse or charge more for a service dog. They do not have to be ADA equipped but cannot refuse service dogs or any equipment required for the disability.

Linda and Halo

Linda, thanks for the information. Who is your source?

Sutter was pre-matched as a skilled companion today!!!!

Congratulations! Good job Sutter! So happy for him and for you - he is going to change someone's life. What a fabulous gift! When I was at team training, I will never forget seeing the tears in the parents' eyes when their child was matched with their dog.

Dianne

Congratulations to Sutter and the whole DFD family!

P.S. How is Miss Gretel doing these days? We want photos!

Gretel is fitting in very well. It took her a while to find her footing on our family but she is really starting to bond with my daughter. She is actually starting to enjoy working and listening when my daughter gives commands. We haven't been taking many photos lately. It's been kind of busy. As far as posting photos here, that may pose a problem shortly. Photobucket sent me an e-mail a while ago stating that in the near future if you want to post any photo from their site to a third party site, like here, you have to pay for a subscription. That's not gonna happen. So we may have to find a workaround.

Gretel is fitting in very well. It took her a while to find her footing on our family but she is really starting to bond with my daughter. She is actually starting to enjoy working and listening when my daughter gives commands. We haven't been taking many photos lately. It's been kind of busy. As far as posting photos here, that may pose a problem shortly. Photobucket sent me an e-mail a while ago stating that in the near future if you want to post any photo from their site to a third party site, like here, you have to pay for a subscription. That's not gonna happen. So we may have to find a workaround.

I used Tiny Pic...

Congratulations and way to go Sutter! You must be very proud...heck I'm proud!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect.

It is information from an ADA advocate that my trainer knows.

Linda and Halo

Thanks for the info. Linda. They even include "Emotional Support" animals be allowed in their establishments. They may have to reign in some of their rules or they will be inundated with lots of people claiming that FiFi is for emotional support!

Happy Weekend EVERYONE!

I'm sure you've all heard about the Emerald Princess, Alaska cruise that had a murder on it recently. OMG! My family and friends are driving me nuts. That's the ship and destination that we're taking in April, 2018 with 4 family members and 2 friends.

They're so concerned about it. The incident happened on Dolphin Deck and we're all on 5 decks above [on the same side], on Riviera Deck, Deck 14. They all want to make sure that they're not on the same deck or in the same cabins....we're no where near it!

A husband smashed in his wife's skull [with a ladder] and killed her in front of their three daughters. Then he tried to drag her onto their veranda and throw her overboard. He was stopped by someone who heard the commotion and he then tried to jump overboard and was stopped by someone else. OMG! It is a bit disturbing but it doesn't effect me, except to make me feel sorry for their children and the poor dead 46 year old woman!

Now everyone's calling me because they think the ship is cursed or something. I hope everyone stays away, it makes for more room for me and Horton!!!! You know by April this will be forgotten and the crowds will gather anyway! ;p

I know I've been bad by not showing recent pictures of Gretel. Here ya go.

Yard.jpg

Close-Up.jpg

So many things to comment on:

First: Gretel, you are such a dear girl, with those soulful eyes. You look just like the female version of my Horty. I call those eyes "monkey eyes", I'm in love with gorilla's and next to CCI, The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund is my favorite animal funds to give to.

Second: That garden........I want to play in that garden.

Thanks for sharing all of it with us!