Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

3 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I heard about this and I'm not happy.  I also thought that the dogs were not given duplicate names until the first dog was retired.  Horton is very much still working and although we love the name, I think it's very confusing to have two of them out and about. 

I know Horton II lives very far away from us and the chances of us ever crossing paths would be unlikely, I still think it's a bad idea to have two dogs with the same name in service.  

I heard a while ago there was a "Wex" not a Wexler II. I was not happy either. I will hate to see the name again. 😢

Good morning Ladies, Gentlemen and furkids, 

My mom says I have to go to school tomorrow afternoon.  She says I have no manners!  What does she know? If I have something to say, I bark very loud and do not quiet down like she asks, because she doesn't know what I am trying to tell her.  I pick up rocks in the front yard and run from her.  Its my rock, why should she get to take it away?  Then when we go back in the house, I gently (!) (His words) nip her on the back of the legs and grab her shirt putting teethy marks in it.  I don't want her to leave me, but if she does, she can look at the holes and think of me.  Maybe she will come home earlier to see me! (Fat chance, my words)  Anyway, I hope everyone is safe from that BIG wind stormer.  When had BIG thunderboomers and electric skies, but I didn't even flinch.  I acted like it was normal.  Ha.  Well everyone have a great day, I have to get back to finding some more skin to chew on, its more fun than the gazillion toys I have.  Oh and Mom thought she would be a smarty and go to Tractor Supply (I got to go to and got treats and people owwing and awwing over me!) and she got me a big blue ball with a handle on it that is for  HORSES!  She says sometimes I act like a Horses azz!  I don't know what that means, but I think she likes me.  Any who, I haven't put a hole in the ball yet, but I have roughed up every inch of it with my razor teefers. ❤️ 

Pee S's:  Mom took all the beds and put them up.  She says I don't know how to be nice to my things!  I say 😝 to her! BOL (bark out loud)

IMG_0770.JPG

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Change color of text
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

My mom says I have to go to school tomorrow afternoon.  She says I have no manners!  What does she know? If I have something to say, I bark very loud and do not quiet down like she asks, because she doesn't know what I am trying to tell her.  I pick up rocks in the front yard and run from her.  Its my rock, why should she get to take it away?  Then when we go back in the house, I gently (!) (His words) nip her on the back of the legs and grab her shirt putting teethy marks in it.  I don't want her to leave me, but if she does, she can look at the holes and think of me.  Maybe she will come home earlier to see me! (Fat chance, my words)  Anyway, I hope everyone is safe from that BIG wind stormer.  When had BIG thunderboomers and electric skies, but I didn't even flinch.  I acted like it was normal.  Ha.  Well everyone have a great day, I have to get back to finding some more skin to chew on, its more fun than the gazillion toys I have.  Oh and Mom thought she would be a smarty and go to Tractor Supply (I got to go to and got treats and people owwing and awwing over me!) and she got me a big blue ball with a handle on it that is for  HORSES!  She says sometimes I act like a Horses azz!  I don't know what that means, but I think she likes me.  Any who, I haven't put a hole in the ball yet, but I have roughed up every inch of it with my razor teefers. ❤️ 

Pee S's:  Mom took all the beds and put them up.  She says I don't know how to be nice to my things!  I say 😝 to her! BOL (bark out loud)

IMG_0770.JPG

Too funny Nancy!! He sounds like a little devil! My granddoggy is 2 and just like that... A monster!! My son refuses to get the dog fixed. He's a terror. We can't even go to their house. ☹️ My dil did take him to obedience classes. It didn't work. The hormones are to powerful. Remember to neuter your dog, it will help him to be calmer. 

Oh the neuter is already paid for!  I bought a puppy package at the Vet.  She will neuter him and put in the chip at the same time.  I was horrified when I asked her about the chip and she said, "Oh we wait until they are under anethesis (sp) because that needle is big that we use to put the chip in.  When I got Jezzy Lou at the shelter, they put it in her right then and there while I was holding her.  She was a little thing, maybe 10 lbs.  Now I want to go back to them and chip them!  She did squeal. Please, please tell me we didn't get Cujo!  I hope the puppy classes help.  He is smart little cracker.  He knows he has to sit down before he comes out of his x-pen or crate.  He knows "out' to go outside.  He goes to the door to go out and 💩 but we are working on the squat and pee whenever the mood strikes us! He knows "go potty".  So he can learn.  We have straight across handles on all of our doors.  Yesterday he jumped up on the laundry  room door (This is Jezzy's sancuary (sp) ) and pulled down on the handle!  Matter of time we won't be able to keep him out or in for that matter any of the rooms! Help me........We knew we would have about 18 months to 24 months of shenanigans, but the biting and barking are unreal.  He doesn't care what you say or do, he is gonna continue until he says he is done! 

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

On 8/31/2019 at 9:02 AM, rangeley said:

We are going to ask our vet and have her fill out the form. She can just leave the deworming section blank. If they don't want to let Oakland off, we are not going to worry about it. Theres alot of places we don't get off. Just checking for our January cruise and a few places we arent getting off. Grand turk actually wants money. No way are we paying $50 just to walk around the dock area. Besides they have many stray dogs there. We love staying on when everyone gets off. Plop ourselves in a chair ot on our balcony and people watch. We are very boring. Lol

70 days! 😬

Screenshot_20190831-090719.png

The $50 for Grand Turk is waived for Service Dogs

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Oh the neuter is already paid for!  I bought a puppy package at the Vet.  She will neuter him and put in the chip at the same time.  I was horrified when I asked her about the chip and she said, "Oh we wait until they are under anethesis (sp) because that needle is big that we use to put the chip in.  When I got Jezzy Lou at the shelter, they put it in her right then and there while I was holding her.  She was a little thing, maybe 10 lbs.  Now I want to go back to them and chip them!  She did squeal. Please, please tell me we didn't get Cujo!  I hope the puppy classes help.  He is smart little cracker.  He knows he has to sit down before he comes out of his x-pen or crate.  He knows "out' to go outside.  He goes to the door to go out and 💩 but we are working on the squat and pee whenever the mood strikes us! He knows "go potty".  So he can learn.  We have straight across handles on all of our doors.  Yesterday he jumped up on the laundry  room door (This is Jezzy's sancuary (sp) ) and pulled down on the handle!  Matter of time we won't be able to keep him out or in for that matter any of the rooms! Help me........We knew we would have about 18 months to 24 months of shenanigans, but the biting and barking are unreal.  He doesn't care what you say or do, he is gonna continue until he says he is done! 

The classes will hopefully help. The instructors know lots of tricks. The most important thing is to be consistant. You and Mr. Nancy both have to do the same thing. 

1 hour ago, MelanieDyer said:

The $50 for Grand Turk is waived for Service Dogs

Nice! The first time we went we just had the health certificate. The next time they wanted $50 but still just the health certificate. Then they started with their own permit and all the tests they wanted. Thats when we stopped getting off. Too many things to do just to walk around the dock area. The past few times we were there we just stayed on the ship. There are too many loose dogs running around there. After all the people left the beach a pack of dogs appeared looking for scraps that beach goers might have left. 

13 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

IMG_0770.JPG

You are such a monkey!  I love reading stories about you.......Please be a good boy!

10 hours ago, rangeley said:

Nice! The first time we went we just had the health certificate. The next time they wanted $50 but still just the health certificate. Then they started with their own permit and all the tests they wanted. Thats when we stopped getting off. Too many things to do just to walk around the dock area. The past few times we were there we just stayed on the ship. There are too many loose dogs running around there. After all the people left the beach a pack of dogs appeared looking for scraps that beach goers might have left. 

The same thing with Mexico.  We actually had to stay in a building on the dock because a pack of feral dogs had come down to the ship and the Immigration Officers were trying to round them up so we could re-board the ship.

12 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

CCI recommends that the pups get "down time" in their crates.  If you have to put the crate in a quiet spot where he can just go to sleep and get the hint that this is where he goes a few times a day to chill out.  Just like children, the more stimuli they're around the more wild they act.  This will NOT last forever.  Stay strong and try the crate.  He will cry and even try to scratch his way out but soon he will learn, it's quiet time and we expect you to be quiet.  If you wait too long to teach him good habits it will just get harder and harder.  

I definitely feel for you and the frustration of raising a baby!

16 hours ago, rangeley said:

Hope all our Florida peeps are doing ok. 

Bahamas are devastated. Just read Nassau port will open this week so I assume they didn't get hit as hard.  Half moon cay did fine. 

I hope there is no more loss of life and that it will be over soon.  Unfortunately, this is just the beginning of hurricane season.  

Stay safe everyone!

Linda & Halo, I feel for you with the dilemma of relatives + service dogs. My sister-in-law really did not want my dog in the beach house she and my brother owned (for a traditional family gathering at that beach dating back 40+ years) but grudgingly allowed me to have the dog come inside at times. 

She considered her beach house to be “no dogs allowed” for rentals, and did not want any dog, period, in complete denial about the fact that such policies would not apply to renters with service dogs. Naturally, I did not argue and tried to go with the flow even though my dog was undoubtedly cleaner than her assorted renters’ kids were. We slept in our RV at a campground and rented a car to go back and forth while my other siblings stayed in oceanfront bedrooms. The gathering gradually fell by the wayside, my brother is gone, and the house is now for sale. It’s frankly a relief to not have to go there any more where my dog is not welcome, but it still pains me when I think about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

The same thing with Mexico.  We actually had to stay in a building on the dock because a pack of feral dogs had come down to the ship and the Immigration Officers were trying to round them up so we could re-board the ship.

Yikes! We encountered some feral dogs twice in St. Maarten, though they seemed harmless. You really have to keep an eye out going ashore.

23 hours ago, rangeley said:

Hope all our Florida peeps are doing ok. 

Bahamas are devastated. Just read Nassau port will open this week so I assume they didn't get hit as hard.  Half moon cay did fine. 

We are so lucky in Florida. The SW coast where we live got nothing but early forecasts had it coming directly toward us. That cat. 5 devastation could have hit Miami. Very close.

It is just heartbreaking to see the videos from The Bahamas. Amazing they can open the port of Nassau - maybe some cruise ships can deliver supplies - I read that RCCL is donating $1 million.

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

We are so lucky in Florida. The SW coast where we live got nothing but early forecasts had it coming directly toward us. That cat. 5 devastation could have hit Miami. Very close.

It is just heartbreaking to see the videos from The Bahamas. Amazing they can open the port of Nassau - maybe some cruise ships can deliver supplies - I read that RCCL is donating $1 million.

Grand Bahamas (Freeport) and some of the smaller islands got the worst of it.  Yesterday Nassau's airport was open.  I know all the cruise lines will send relief.  I remember after Maria the cruise ships were delivering supplies each week.  Carnival even had one of their ships set up for FEMA to use for about a month

Halo and I made it back to Florida safe and sound.  We did end up having our original flight canceled, but the next flight was available.  I just think the flight canceled was not full and with the hurricane, it was a great excuse to say weather related and fill up the other flights.  We came in yesterday when Dorian was off the coast of Orlando by about 100 miles.  We flew into Tampa and the bumps were actually less than flying into Indy a week earlier.  So not bad at all.

I do have a killer headache today.  I am thinking it might be due to the pressure changes with the storm near by.  It is no pleasant to deal with but should be relieved in a day or two when the weather stabilizes.

Those poor people in the Bahamas.  I see there is a lot of relief heading their way.

Linda and Halo

4 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

I remember after Maria the cruise ships were delivering supplies each week.  Carnival even had one of their ships set up for FEMA to use for about a month

Yes, and I remember that Royal Caribbean provided a Mercy Evacuation Ship for anyone who wanted to leave the U.S. Virgin islands for Miami. One of my St. Croix friends took it since it was the only way out, to get up to the states in time to make an international flight for a business trip. He emailed photos of all the numerous pet dogs that were on board!

Another ex-St. Croix friend and I were talking at lunch about whether that’s going to happen for Bahamians, as non-US Citizens. I sure hope the legalities can be worked out. The devastation appears so profound on some of the islands, surely evacuation of the population is necessary, and there may not be space and resources on the other islands for thousands of people to be sheltered long term.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:04 PM, rangeley said:

We have a family member that is allergic to everything. She around 4yrs old. Last time we saw her, she hung around in the house with Oakland. She stayed away from him, didn't touch him and she was fine. I was surprised they showed up since they knew we'd be there. 

I am also afraid to fly. Always hated it. I have no idea what posessed me to fly out to California. I'm already in panic mode, but Roz is just so loveable I had to go. 

Yeh!  That's why she's coming to California because I'm lovable! 

I promise Cindy, I give you permission to tell me to "shut-up", "sit-down", "be quiet".........whenever you deem it's necessary to do so! :classic_wink:

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Linda & Halo, I feel for you with the dilemma of relatives + service dogs. My sister-in-law really did not want my dog in the beach house she and my brother owned (for a traditional family gathering at that beach dating back 40+ years) but grudgingly allowed me to have the dog come inside at times. 

She considered her beach house to be “no dogs allowed” for rentals, and did not want any dog, period, in complete denial about the fact that such policies would not apply to renters with service dogs. Naturally, I did not argue and tried to go with the flow even though my dog was undoubtedly cleaner than her assorted renters’ kids were. We slept in our RV at a campground and rented a car to go back and forth while my other siblings stayed in oceanfront bedrooms. The gathering gradually fell by the wayside, my brother is gone, and the house is now for sale. It’s frankly a relief to not have to go there any more where my dog is not welcome, but it still pains me when I think about it.

Wow Chris, quite a story.  I, too, have family and friends that do not want Horton in their homes.  I realize it's their homes and they can have or have not anyone they wish, but by the same token, I also may chose to stay away.

I get some grief from certain family members and friends who think I should either leave Horton at home or in my car.  I simply do NOT attend their functions.

I have a huge family and there's always something happening, whether it be for good or bad and I am forced to make the important decision to stay home with my darling Horton or I go.   I NEVER, EVER leave my Horton behind.  If he's not welcome, I'm not!

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I'm so glad you're okay.  It must have been so scary for you.  I'm worried about our CCI offices in Florida.  I know that there are lots of people who take care of the dogs first and then themselves.  I'm sending a special prayer to all of you.

I love the cruise ship companies who are so generous to be willing to assist those in need.

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Yeh!  That's why she's coming to California because I'm lovable! 

I promise Cindy, I give you permission to tell me to "shut-up", "sit-down", "be quiet".........whenever you deem it's necessary to do so! :classic_wink:

Jeez I hope I won't have to Roz,  but nice to know I can. 😁  And the doctor gave me meds if I need to take before the flight. I don't usually take anything but she gave them to me anyway. 

Now my son is mad because he wants to go to Alaska and I always tell him its to far. If I make it to LA I'm going to have to book an Alaskan cruise. 

Edited by rangeley

On 9/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Glad you are ok. Thought it was going to be scary for Florida. Luckily the storm turned.