Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

2 hours ago, Rozmorey1 said:

I need everything to slow down.....just a bit!  I do love the anticipation though!

Needs to slow down alot!! I'm used to booking like 9 mos out. Not 2 months.

Oakland has passed the Princess process and is accepted on the ship. 

John was saying he hopes Oakland doesn't yank his arm off everytime he see Horton. He hopes its just the initial meeting. We forgot how fiesty the youngins can be. Wondering if they will fool around under the table at dinner. Hope we don't get kicked out. 😂

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Needs to slow down alot!! I'm used to booking like 9 mos out. Not 2 months.

Oakland has passed the Princess process and is accepted on the ship. 

John was saying he hopes Oakland doesn't yank his arm off everytime he see Horton. He hopes its just the initial meeting. We forgot how fiesty the youngins can be. Wondering if they will fool around under the table at dinner. Hope we don't get kicked out. 😂

Brenda would have pulled me off my feet to get to another dog....she felt it was her job to put ALL other dogs in "down-stays", she was so bossy.  Horton, not so much.  He just wants to say hello and sniff the bejeebers out of everything and everybody.  We'll have to be very stern and consistent when we're in public and then go find an empty lounge [usually the Chapel] and let them loose to run around and play hard with each other.

It's going to be so cute to see what they do when they first see each other.  CCI dogs are such amazing beings.

11 hours ago, Rozmorey1 said:

Brenda would have pulled me off my feet to get to another dog....she felt it was her job to put ALL other dogs in "down-stays", she was so bossy.  Horton, not so much.  He just wants to say hello and sniff the bejeebers out of everything and everybody.  We'll have to be very stern and consistent when we're in public and then go find an empty lounge [usually the Chapel] and let them loose to run around and play hard with each other.

It's going to be so cute to see what they do when they first see each other.  CCI dogs are such amazing beings.

I've learned that CCI dogs seem to know eachother. It will be fun!! 

Hi Service Dog Friends!  We are Max and More from Oklahoma. My son, Max, is in a wheelchair and has a CCI service dog named Maureen IV but we call her "More." More has been on one cruise to Alaska in June and we had such a good experience that we are planning on taking her on Caribbean Princess to the Panama Canal in March. Anyone have experience with the paperwork for Jamaica, Cartagena Columbia, Cristobal Panama, Limon Costa Rica or Grand Cayman?  Has anyone done this cruise with a service dog and is it safe for them at the cruise ports? I value your thoughts and ideas.

6 hours ago, rangeley said:

I've learned that CCI dogs seem to know eachother. It will be fun!! 

Yeah!  They ALL have that wided-eyed look of "I don't have to spend my days in a kennel or  a crate anymore!"  Or, in a training room with someone ALWAYS giving them instructions. 

I know it sounds harsh, but their training days are very tiring and demanding.  I love giving them the very best life I can, they've earned it for sure!  

1 hour ago, max and more said:

Hi Service Dog Friends!  We are Max and More from Oklahoma. My son, Max, is in a wheelchair and has a CCI service dog named Maureen IV but we call her "More." More has been on one cruise to Alaska in June and we had such a good experience that we are planning on taking her on Caribbean Princess to the Panama Canal in March. Anyone have experience with the paperwork for Jamaica, Cartagena Columbia, Cristobal Panama, Limon Costa Rica or Grand Cayman?  Has anyone done this cruise with a service dog and is it safe for them at the cruise ports? I value your thoughts and ideas.

Hi, and welcome!  Horton and I did the Panama Canal a few years ago.  It was a wonderful trip, except for the heat and humidity and that was in November.  I can remember sitting by the pool with a wet wash rag on Horton's head to keep him cool.  And, I had to be very careful not to walk on the top deck because the decking was so, so hot.

I was on the Island Princess which has the most amazing handicapped cabins on the Promenade deck [they literally had re-vamped the Island before we boarded and added these wonderful HC cabins.]

You will definitely need the Aphis 7001[your Vet can supply this], make sure your dog is on HeartGuard and NexGuard [or some other sort of flea/tick abatement.]  More MUST be micro chipped.  Include the paperwork from CCI proving that More is spayed and trained by CCI.  You will need a Vet Check at least one month before you sail.  The Vet will write on the form that ALL necessary immunizations are done.  Make at least 3 copies of everything.  I always recommend that you give registration their own copy [this will save the time that it takes for them to find a copy machine.]

We went to Costa Rica but because we had heard of some stray dogs in the area I did not take Horton off the ship.  If you're traveling with others they may watch More for you as you take turns going into certain ports.  Beach communities are notorious for stray animals.  They have no leash laws and no immunization procedures in place, so it can be risky for your dog.  REMEMBER:  It is NEVER a good idea to leave your dog alone in your cabin.  Most ships will not allow this anyway!

You will be asked to come down to a lounge in the very early morning, in some ports, so that an Immigration official can check your paperwork, your dog and you before the ship is cleared for anyone to debark.  I HATE THIS EARLY MORNING CALL THE MOST!

Once the officials have seen how well More behaves and how well-maintained she is it all goes very smoothly and you can go back to bed or on with your day.  You won't be asked to meet with someone in every port, just some of them.  And, honestly, I don't think the ship is clear on when they will be scrutinized or not. 

In Panama I was so cranky and when the call came in at 6:00am to appear downstairs.......I simply said to the official on the phone, "if you want to see my dog, send someone to come and get him!"  Five minutes later there was a knock on my door and a very official looking man in a very official white suit was standing there and he said, "may I take your dog!"  That was the first and last time I ever did that.  Okay, okay.......I'm NOT a morning person!!!!!

1 hour ago, Rozmorey1 said:

You will be asked to come down to a lounge in the very early morning, e in at 6:00am to appear downstairs.......I simply said to the official on the phone, "if you want to see my dog, send someone to come and get him!"  Five minutes later there was a knock on my door and a very official looking man in a very official white suit was standing there and he said, "may I take your dog!"  That was the first and last time I ever did that.  Okay, okay.......I'm NOT a morning person!!!!!

Did you let the man take him?  I would rather face early morning then some strange man taking my dog. I thought you were the one who said never let them separate you from your dog. 

I wonder if other passengers blame the inspection for holding up disembarking. In Alaska and Canada we never went through any inspections. I still have that thrill ahead of me. 

We are doing a Panama Canal Cruise this November.  We cannot disembark in Grand Cayman, as you are not allowed if you have been in Mexico within 10 days prior.  So we just plan to have our APHIS 7001 state we are not disembarking there.  Our other ports are in Mexico, which has a template letter you have your vet fill out, and Cartagena Colombia, which participates in the electronic database for the 7001 health form.  Of note, Cayman has very strict guidelines including a rabies titer which has to be run only at certain labs, as well as a prazaquantil containing worm prevention within a certain period of time.  Also, the signed health certificate for them is valid for 14 days.  If GC falls at the end of your cruise (ours is 14 nights), this presents an issue.  Would have been about $500 to get off in GC after meeting all their requirements - not worth it for us.  

I would be happy to come back after we’ve cruised and share my experiences with ports/permits.  We are cruising Disney btw....

Denise

We’re doing a 27 night Southampton to San Francisco Panama Canal Cruise in January, 2021.

I don’t live in the States so don’t do Ahpis 7001 but I’ve got no idea what we do instead.  I guess I’ll figure it out; we have to see an Agriculture Canada vet before we fly to England.  England itself is no problem, my guy has his UK/EU official Pet Passport.  Of course, it’s anyone’s guess how that will shake out with Brexit!  Time will tell and we’ll figure it out.

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

Did you let the man take him?  I would rather face early morning then some strange man taking my dog. I thought you were the one who said never let them separate you from your dog. 

I wonder if other passengers blame the inspection for holding up disembarking. In Alaska and Canada we never went through any inspections. I still have that thrill ahead of me. 

I did hand him Horton's leash and then very sleepily wandered down the hall behind them.  The amazing thing about a highly trained Service Dog is that they will go with anyone who is holding the leash.  That's part of their training.  

You are correct, I never want to see a Service Dog separated from his handler!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

The inspection of both the paperwork, Horton and myself took very little time.  There were lots of people in line.  There would be no reason to blame Horton or myself for holding up the disembarkation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allies_daphne said:

We are doing a Panama Canal Cruise this November.  We cannot disembark in Grand Cayman, as you are not allowed if you have been in Mexico within 10 days prior.  So we just plan to have our APHIS 7001 state we are not disembarking there.  Our other ports are in Mexico, which has a template letter you have your vet fill out, and Cartagena Colombia, which participates in the electronic database for the 7001 health form.  Of note, Cayman has very strict guidelines including a rabies titer which has to be run only at certain labs, as well as a prazaquantil containing worm prevention within a certain period of time.  Also, the signed health certificate for them is valid for 14 days.  If GC falls at the end of your cruise (ours is 14 nights), this presents an issue.  Would have been about $500 to get off in GC after meeting all their requirements - not worth it for us.  

I would be happy to come back after we’ve cruised and share my experiences with ports/permits.  We are cruising Disney btw....

Denise

Denise, the Rabies Titer was only requested on our Hawaii cruise and is good for two or three years.  Although it states that the signed health cert. is good for 14 days we used ours on a following cruise within 6 months and it was accepted by Immigration.  The worm prevention was waived when they saw that my dog was on HeartGuard and NexGuard on a monthly basis.  

The cruise ships are asking for paperwork/vet visits/immunizations and that our dogs be in excellent health and condition before they enter their ships and I'm glad.

I like that the cruise ships and various ports are demanding that our dogs be on preventative meds. and be up-to-date on immunizations.  It's certainly a way to keep the fakes away.

Did Disney require that your dog be Microchipped?

1 minute ago, Rozmorey1 said:

Denise, the Rabies Titer was only requested on our Hawaii cruise and is good for two or three years.  Although it states that the signed health cert. is good for 14 days we used ours on a following cruise within 6 months and it was accepted by Immigration.  The worm prevention was waived when they saw that my dog was on HeartGuard and NexGuard on a monthly basis.  

The cruise ships are asking for paperwork/vet visits/immunizations and that our dogs be in excellent health and condition before they enter their ships and I'm glad.

I like that the cruise ships and various ports are demanding that our dogs be on preventative meds. and be up-to-date on immunizations.  It's certainly a way to keep the fakes away.

Did Disney require that your dog be Microchipped?

Denise, please have a wonderful cruise and do come back and share your experience with us.

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

We’re doing a 27 night Southampton to San Francisco Panama Canal Cruise in January, 2021.

I don’t live in the States so don’t do Ahpis 7001 but I’ve got no idea what we do instead.  I guess I’ll figure it out; we have to see an Agriculture Canada vet before we fly to England.  England itself is no problem, my guy has his UK/EU official Pet Passport.  Of course, it’s anyone’s guess how that will shake out with Brexit!  Time will tell and we’ll figure it out.

Miki, what cruise line are you taking?  The Agriculture Canada Vet will let you know what paperwork is required and should be able to supply it and fill it out for you.

14 minutes ago, Rozmorey1 said:

The inspection of both the paperwork, Horton and myself took very little time.  There were lots of people in line.  There would be no reason to blame Horton or myself for holding up the disembarkation.

I didn’t mean you held up the line. I was worried we might get blamed for a late clearing of the ship. 

We’re on Cunard, Roz.  

As for the Agriculture Canada vet, I’ll have to wait and see.  Before the UK relaxed their rabies requirements, once the titer test was done it was simple to go there.  With the relaxed requirements, my experience was the vet didn’t know how to fill out the paperwork.  Fortunately, I had emails from my contact at DEFRA spelling everything out.  

We don’t see the government vet until a few days before we go - requirements of travel - so they won’y Be much help with forms.  We’re good for England and I’ll deal with our itinerary when it’s closer to the day.

Edited by Miki_moto

8 hours ago, max and more said:

Only one I know is Jamaica, no dogs allowed at all. 

9 hours ago, lindaler said:

I didn’t mean you held up the line. I was worried we might get blamed for a late clearing of the ship. 

There were two long lines of people who were waiting for their paperwork to be inspected.  I was told it was crew who can not leave the ship until their Visa's/Passports, etc. are cleared and then the passengers may leave. 

When the agent saw Horton and me she came right over and went through my paperwork and examined Horton within 5 minutes of my arriving and I was free to go back to my cabin. 

It's remarkable to see how empty the ship is at 6:00am.  If only I was a morning person, I could have the ship all to myself.  Sit somewhere, with my Horty, have a cup of coffee and a croissant without all the crowds.  My brain just doesn't function in the AM.  Takes me a while to get my motor going!  I worked at a job that started very early for over 30 years.......and everyone learned to just avoid me!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

3 hours ago, Rozmorey1 said:

It's remarkable to see how empty the ship is at 6:00am.  If only I was a morning person, I could have the ship all to myself.  Sit somewhere, with my Horty, have a cup of coffee and a croissant without all the crowds.  My brain just doesn't function in the AM.  Takes me a while to get my motor going!  I worked at a job that started very early for over 30 years.......and everyone learned to just avoid me!!!!

6am? Hope you aren't referring to Mexico!!  But don't worry, I will be showered and ready to go! 😁

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

6am? Hope you aren't referring to Mexico!!  But don't worry, I will be showered and ready to go! 😁

I don't think I've ever had to get up early and go down to a lounge to meet an Immigration official in Mexico.....but, who knows if things have changed.....You're such a good sport to be "ready to go!" 

I wake up at 6:30 every morning to prepare Horty's breakfast and then I go back to sleep until 9:00, have room service deliver my coffee, yogurt and croissant [Princess does NOT have a full service breakfast via room service.]  Full lunch and dinner only.

I'm ready to greet the world between 10:00 and 11:00 am.  If I want to go ashore it can wait until after lunch.  When I was younger we would leave much earlier for excursions.....the aging process has taught me to take it easy, you're on a cruise....RELAX, ENJOY!  I've also learned to "OWN" "the ship when everyone else is off on their various adventures.  My GOAL, these days, is to RELAX, ENJOY!

• Like 1