Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

11 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Has anyone heard of the new canine cancer immunization?  I'm definitely going to ask my Vet about it.

I looked it up after I read this. It says prevents tumors. Bailee and Wexler both died from tumors. 😭

18 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I am going to GT, but won't have Halo on this cruise.  Next cruise with Halo will be November 2020.  That one also goes to GT and some other that requires a lot of paperwork.  I will have it all done.  I love getting off at the ports.

Linda and Halo

Thanks Linda.  I just wished they'd make it easier for people traveling with Guides.

Yes he does look chocolate, but is suppose to be silver.  He does have little black hairs throughout, also.  I guess time will tell.  He has the cutest little tuft of hair on the end of his tail.  It just puffs out in all directions.  He is too smart for his little boy britches.  That is what is so frustrating with the biting and barking.  I know he knows better, but just can't help himself.  He is trying to master the stairs, now.  Mom just cannot carry the little butterball anymore.  He had to be helped down them, then when I came back home, helped him up most of the stairs and he did the last 2 on his own!  Fortunately there are only 9 stairs.  The garage is lower than the house.  

9 hours ago, rangeley said:

I looked it up after I read this. It says prevents tumors. Bailee and Wexler both died from tumors. 😭

Horton has to go for his yearly check-up soon and I'll ask about it.  I'll do anything to keep Horty safe.  It won't be for a few month's but I'll let you know what he says.

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Yes he does look chocolate, but is suppose to be silver.  He does have little black hairs throughout, also.  I guess time will tell.  He has the cutest little tuft of hair on the end of his tail.  It just puffs out in all directions.  He is too smart for his little boy britches.  That is what is so frustrating with the biting and barking.  I know he knows better, but just can't help himself.  He is trying to master the stairs, now.  Mom just cannot carry the little butterball anymore.  He had to be helped down them, then when I came back home, helped him up most of the stairs and he did the last 2 on his own!  Fortunately there are only 9 stairs.  The garage is lower than the house.  

Nancy, I give you a lot of credit to take on this little IMP!  He's going to be the most amazing buddy for all of you, once he gets past his "terrible two's"!  I hope you all survive.......For sure, he will!

I have, numerous times. Different zoos have different policies. Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago welcomes service dogs, but a monkey house (they throw poo, you know) and the Farm in the Zoo are off limits. The zoo gives you a map marked with the sites where service dogs are not permitted. Other zoos have kennel cages where a service dog can be stashed while you go inside an exhibit to see the animals. Often big cats in outdoor cages will go nuts when they see a dog so you should move away quickly when that happens. Best thing to do is call ahead and ask a zoo what its service dog policies are. 

3 minutes ago, HenryKisor said:

I have, numerous times. Different zoos have different policies. Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago welcomes service dogs, but a monkey house (they throw poo, you know) and the Farm in the Zoo are off limits. The zoo gives you a map marked with the sites where service dogs are not permitted. Other zoos have kennel cages where a service dog can be stashed while you go inside an exhibit to see the animals. Often big cats in outdoor cages will go nuts when they see a dog so you should move away quickly when that happens. Best thing to do is call ahead and ask a zoo what its service dog policies are. 

This is great to know!  We are cruising out of San Diego in a couple of weeks, and had planned to go to the San Diego zoo.  I’m going to do some research and give their Guest Services Dept a call - the points you made in your post are all very valid!  Perfect timing for this post for me!

1 hour ago, HenryKisor said:

Thanks for the info. 

1 hour ago, allies_daphne said:

This is great to know!  We are cruising out of San Diego in a couple of weeks, and had planned to go to the San Diego zoo.  I’m going to do some research and give their Guest Services Dept a call - the points you made in your post are all very valid!  Perfect timing for this post for me!

We will also be going to San Diego in Nov. Was thinking about the zoo but was unsure with the dog. Rather than be nervous the whole time, I think we'll skip it. 

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

Anyone ever taken their SD to a zoo? 

We have gone to the Portland zoo. She couldn't go to the talks where they bring birds I to the audience. Or the free flight aviary.  Otherwise she was fine. Slow just ask you to register and sign that you agree to their rules.  Go and have fun

4 hours ago, rangeley said:

We will also be going to San Diego in Nov. Was thinking about the zoo but was unsure with the dog. Rather than be nervous the whole time, I think we'll skip it. 

We took Brenda to the L.A. Zoo and all was going well until a gorilla, in an outdoor enclosure, spotted her and went crazy.  He started staring at her, beating his chest and making loud, angry sounds.....soon a Zoo keeper asked us to move to another exhibit.  I absolutely adore gorilla's and would NEVER want to upset them so we just left.  I have not been back to a zoo since.  And, that was 2003. 

Every time we go to a city, either in the U.S. or around the world I'm always so tempted to go to the local zoo but I love animals so much it's just not worth upsetting them or me.    

15 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

We took Brenda to the L.A. Zoo and all was going well until a gorilla, in an outdoor enclosure, spotted her and went crazy.  He started staring at her, beating his chest and making loud, angry sounds.....soon a Zoo keeper asked us to move to another exhibit.  I absolutely adore gorilla's and would NEVER want to upset them so we just left.  I have not been back to a zoo since.  And, that was 2003. 

Every time we go to a city, either in the U.S. or around the world I'm always so tempted to go to the local zoo but I love animals so much it's just not worth upsetting them or me.    

John reminded me, I forgot we went to MGM in Vegas once and they had a lion or tiger in a glass enclosure right inside the hotel. It kept staring at Rangeley and coming close to the glass. It freaked us out and we left. No zoo for us.

Roz, I have a friend out there that has a CCI hearing dog and might come meet us in SF! 

Edited by rangeley

26 minutes ago, rangeley said:

John reminded me, I forgot we went to MGM in Vegas once and they had a lion or tiger in a glass enclosure right inside the hotel. It kept staring at Rangeley and coming close to the glass. It freaked us out and we left. No zoo for us.

Roz, I have a friend out there that has a CCI hearing dog and might come meet us in SF! 

Where do they live?  

35 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Where do they live?  

I'm actually not sure   lol  Somewhere near SF. She said shes seen some of your posts. I assume in some CCI forum. Her first hd passed a few years ago from cancer. She has a new dog now. She went to school here and joined our group. 

20 minutes ago, rangeley said:

I'm actually not sure   lol  Somewhere near SF. She said shes seen some of your posts. I assume in some CCI forum. Her first hd passed a few years ago from cancer. She has a new dog now. She went to school here and joined our group. 

20 minutes ago, rangeley said:

I was hoping she lived near me......in all the years that I've had a CCI dog I've never met anyone in my area with a SD.  I saw somebody once in a Target store with a SD in a CCI vest and I practically ran them over with my cart.  He said he was just visiting a relative in the area and was from Northern Calif.    

55 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I was hoping she lived near me......in all the years that I've had a CCI dog I've never met anyone in my area with a SD.  I saw somebody once in a Target store with a SD in a CCI vest and I practically ran them over with my cart.  He said he was just visiting a relative in the area and was from Northern Calif.    

Awww I can't believe there is no one in that area. 

21 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

No matter.....I've got wonderful folks like you all over the world!  And, I even get to cruise with some of you.

Oh boy, how lucky are you!  Lol  Remember what happens on Princess stays on Princess!