Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

8 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Linda, we're on the Royal Princess, leaving out of L.A. on November 9-16 going to San Francisco, Monterey, San Diego and Ensenada Mexico.

I did the Magic with my daughter for two weeks to Hawaii.  It's a wonderful ship with a great crew.  

8 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Chris, I'm going to stay onboard the Royal from the 16 - 23 going to the Mexican Riviera.  I'm hoping that Cindy and John will stay onboard with me.  My Granddaughter will be joining me but it would be so much more fun if we all did another week together.  Anybody out there want to jump onboard?

I will be back in Idaho, back out west.  What ship?  Unlikely I can join, but I will look at it.

Linda and Halo

51 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I want an update on everything you have to do.  I would so like to do Europe, but with a wheelchair and service dog I have been to intimidated to even try.

Linda and Halo

I felt the same way until I took my Service Dog to Europe last year. The trip was a bit daunting when I first started researching since we were going to Paris and London before catching a transatlantic cruise that left from Southampton and also visited the ports of Nassau and Bermuda (which meant I needed permits for those countries).

For Europe (unless you are going to the UK), you only need one EU form health certificate which is good for four months after you enter your first EU country (it does require endorsement by the USDA). So, you do not need a separate health certificate for every country you visit so long as they are a member of the EU. My only issues were with Henri’s microchip since it was implanted after her last rabies vaccination and the tapeworm treatment that the UK requires no earlier than 120 hours prior to your arrival. We were able to solve those by giving Henri her next rabies vaccination a little earlier and we had the tapeworm treatment done on the way to the airport.

I think that someone that has an owner trained dog might have a more difficult time in Europe as I had to produce a letter from the organization that Henri comes from (CCI) outlining the training she has received in order to take the Eurostar from Paris to London.

Dianne

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

I looked up Mexico and its only the health certificate? Thats easy!

Some recent cruises we took stopped in Costa Maya and/or Cozumel, and I asked my Aphis-accredited vet to do the “Option B” bilingual letter copied and pasted onto their letterhead and signed, as spelled out with a template for the wording on the APHIS website. That was super-easy because it didn’t need to go to a regional office to be countersigned and sealed. The local authorities that came aboard and inspected the service dogs were perfectly happy with it.

I hate sending it to the Florida service center to review and return it, but it’s too far to drive - at least a six hour trip Roundtrip. (The Option A health certificate DOES have to be taken or sent to an APHIS office.)

4 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

November is going to be a busy month - we are just going to miss you by one day Chris. We will be coming in to Ft Lauderdale November 15th on the Edge Transatlantic from Rome. We are going to Venice first - a bit of pre-planning needed for a wheelchair and Service Dog! Paperwork will be easy this time as we will only need the Italian version of the EU Health Certificate.

Dianne

So another long flight for Henri one way? She is such a good traveler. 

Enjoy the Edge and I’ll be interested in hearing how you like it. It has some really cool features, but some oddities.

3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I felt the same way until I took my Service Dog to Europe last year. The trip was a bit daunting when I first started researching since we were going to Paris and London before catching a transatlantic cruise that left from Southampton and also visited the ports of Nassau and Bermuda (which meant I needed permits for those countries).

For Europe (unless you are going to the UK), you only need one EU form health certificate which is good for four months after you enter your first EU country (it does require endorsement by the USDA). So, you do not need a separate health certificate for every country you visit so long as they are a member of the EU. My only issues were with Henri’s microchip since it was implanted after her last rabies vaccination and the tapeworm treatment that the UK requires no earlier than 120 hours prior to your arrival. We were able to solve those by giving Henri her next rabies vaccination a little earlier and we had the tapeworm treatment done on the way to the airport.

I think that someone that has an owner trained dog might have a more difficult time in Europe as I had to produce a letter from the organization that Henri comes from (CCI) outlining the training she has received in order to take the Eurostar from Paris to London.

Dianne

I thought the Eurostar didn't allow dogs of any kind.

How are the people toward service dogs and people in wheelchairs?

Linda and Halo

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Some recent cruises we took stopped in Costa Maya and/or Cozumel, and I asked my Aphis-accredited vet to do the “Option B” bilingual letter copied and pasted onto their letterhead and signed, as spelled out with a template for the wording on the APHIS website. That was super-easy because it didn’t need to go to a regional office to be countersigned and sealed. The local authorities that came aboard and inspected the service dogs were perfectly happy with it.

I hate sending it to the Florida service center to review and return it, but it’s too far to drive - at least a six hour trip Roundtrip. (The Option A health certificate DOES have to be taken or sent to an APHIS office.)

Thats right, I forgot about all the abbreviations and taking the dog down. 

12 hours ago, rangeley said:

Do you think they will have 2 boxes? A stairway will not work for John. If theres 2 boxes, we might have Horton pee in our box to get Oakland going. 

Princess has this new Medallion thing instead of a key card. I was wondering if Roz has done this since I know how tech savvy she is? John and I did it. Also signed up for full internet, so we will be able to post some pics. 

Roz did you give your TA our reservation number so they can link us for dinner? We were waitlisted #6 but I think we are now confirmed. 

I'm at Elite status with Princess so I get hundreds of free internet minutes that I'm more than happy to give to you.   I have not signed-up for Medallion [I don't see the advantage], maybe you can explain it to me.  My TA linked us so we should be fine in dining together.  I'm signed up for Early Dining.  I'm hungry, let's go eat!!!!!!

12 hours ago, rangeley said:

Do you think they will have 2 boxes? A stairway will not work for John. If theres 2 boxes, we might have Horton pee in our box to get Oakland going. 

Princess has this new Medallion thing instead of a key card. I was wondering if Roz has done this since I know how tech savvy she is? John and I did it. Also signed up for full internet, so we will be able to post some pics. 

Roz did you give your TA our reservation number so they can link us for dinner? We were waitlisted #6 but I think we are now confirmed. 

I definitely think they'll have two boxes.  I want one box close to my cabin [since Princess is not very accommodating about placing the box on our veranda's.........[maybe they'll do it for John, afterall he is cuter than me!]  I like the stairwell placement, yours should be on your veranda.  We can have Horton use it and have Oakland watch......Horton loves the box and will be a great example, making it easier for Oakie!

*****I'm hoping we can meet-up at the dock and enter registration together.  They'll move us right along and we'll get onboard faster.  Once onboard we'll go to the Purser's Desk and find out where the box's have been placed.  Once this part of the cruise experience is settled, let the fun begin!  Let's talk more about the timing at the dock.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

Yes, excited to get back to HAL. But first I have to deal with this cruise with Roz!  Lol   

Honestly, one of the things I like the best about Princess is that all of her ships are basically laid out the same.  Once you know one ship you've pretty much memorized all of them.  The Royal has a few changes that I'm not familiar with but it'll be fun exploring it with you.   

Wow!  I've never seen so much cruising activity in one month [November.]  We all have so much to share.....I love it!

I have cruised with other Service Dogs but never a CCI dog.  It will be fun watching them relate to and enjoy each other.  Horton is a very social dog and likes everyone, I can't wait to see what he does when he meets Oakland.  

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

11 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I'm at Elite status with Princess so I get hundreds of free internet minutes that I'm more than happy to give to you.   I have not signed-up for Medallion [I don't see the advantage], maybe you can explain it to me.  My TA linked us so we should be fine in dining together.  I'm signed up for Early Dining.  I'm hungry, let's go eat!!!!!!

With your "Elite" status we should be treated like royality.  Lol   Unfortunately we will spend most of the day fighting about the box when we could be eating!! 

11 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Wow!  I've never seen so much cruising activity in one month [November.]  We all have so much to share.....I love it!

I have cruised with other Service Dogs but never a CCI dog.  It will be fun watching them relate to and enjoy each other.  Horton is a very social dog and likes everyone, I can't wait to see what he does when he meets Oakland.  

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

I'd be so jealous that everyone was cruising and we weren't. 

We have never cruised with another dog on board. Except for the magicians dogs which we never saw. 

This pic shows what Oakland thought of the potty box on our last cruise  ☹️

IMG_20190524_161709.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rangeley said:

With your "Elite" status we should be treated like royality.  Lol   Unfortunately we will spend most of the day fighting about the box when we could be eating!! 

It would take an act of God for me to lose my appetite.......not even a battle over the potty box will dissuade me from grabbing a bite.  I'm hoping that we can meet-up on the dock and enter into registration together.  Just follow me, I could do the process with my eyes closed.  

I will need to unload my luggage at the dock, then park my car for 2 weeks.  sI'll be the one dragging a senior dog behind me.  Of course, once he sees Oakland "game on"....he'll perk up like a spring chicken. 

I took Horton to get his nails cut today at Petco [because they're so thick and black I'm scared to death I'll hurt him] and you would have thought he was going through World War II.  Getting him out of my car is no problem but getting him back in.......Geeeezzzz, I have to get out the ramp and sweet-talk him into going up it......it's so exhausting for this old girl.  Such a drama queen.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rangeley said:

I'd be so jealous that everyone was cruising and we weren't. 

We have never cruised with another dog on board. Except for the magicians dogs which we never saw. 

This pic shows what Oakland thought of the potty box on our last cruise  ☹️

IMG_20190524_161709.jpg

You didn't see the magicians dog because it was invisible......get it????

What is Oakland doing?  Laying in the potty box.......no, no, no, no, no!  We do NOT lay in the potty box.  We go potty and we leave.  He'll get a quick lesson from Horty and we're done.  Potty box's are only for going potty!  And, we don't waste time at them.  We eat, drink, go potty in the box and then we go and play!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

It would take an act of God for me to lose my appetite.......not even a battle over the potty box will dissuade me from grabbing a bite.  I'm hoping that we can meet-up on the dock and enter into registration together.  Just follow me, I could do the process with my eyes closed.  

I will need to unload my luggage at the dock, then park my car for 2 weeks.  sI'll be the one dragging a senior dog behind me.  Of course, once he sees Oakland "game on"....he'll perk up like a spring chicken. 

I took Horton to get his nails cut today at Petco [because they're so thick and black I'm scared to death I'll hurt him] and you would have thought he was going through World War II.  Getting him out of my car is no problem but getting him back in.......Geeeezzzz, I have to get out the ramp and sweet-talk him into going up it......it's so exhausting for this old girl.  Such a drama queen.  

This has my head spinning. Never booked something and gotten ready in 2 months. Cruise, flight, hotel all set. Oaklands vet appt already made. My mind... Gone!! 

Meeting up will be perfect. We've done our medallion check in thing so it should go smooth. I read theres times you have to check in. I think our was 130 or 145. Not really sure. 

When we got the new van with the fold our ramp, Wexler balked at walking in. The other van had a lift and he would have to jump in. He was ok with that but not the ramp. Go figure. 

12 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

You didn't see the magicians dog because it was invisible......get it????

What is Oakland doing?  Laying in the potty box.......no, no, no, no, no!  We do NOT lay in the potty box.  We go potty and we leave.  He'll get a quick lesson from Horty and we're done.  Potty box's are only for going potty!  And, we don't waste time at them.  We eat, drink, go potty in the box and then we go and play!!!!!!

Yup thats what he did. Wasn't a good start. Hopefully he will not wait 26 hours this time. It was very stressful for all of us.

The January cruise stops the first day, thats why we booked it. We figured he would only have to go overnight.  

Dont know if I told you but we had a sea day then didnt get to Bermuda until 1pm the day after that. He had finally peed but no poop. On our way down to customs, right outside the door to the restaurant they were using, he squats and poops. Omg we were mortified. I scooped it up fast and stuck it in Johns backpack. Then proceeded to meet with customs. A few people watched and were so nice about it, saying not to worry about it. Ugh!! That can't happen again. 

Edited by rangeley

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

This has my head spinning. Never booked something and gotten ready in 2 months. Cruise, flight, hotel all set. Oaklands vet appt already made. My mind... Gone!! 

Meeting up will be perfect. We've done our medallion check in thing so it should go smooth. I read theres times you have to check in. I think our was 130 or 145. Not really sure. 

When we got the new van with the fold our ramp, Wexler balked at walking in. The other van had a lift and he would have to jump in. He was ok with that but not the ramp. Go figure. 

I, personally, NEVER abide by any dictated time to arrive by.  Because we have the dogs they won't fuss with us upon arrival, if we show-up earlier than the time they suggest.  I like to get to the dock around noon or a little before.  We'll talk more about this as we get closer.  

31 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I, personally, NEVER abide by any dictated time to arrive by.  Because we have the dogs they won't fuss with us upon arrival, if we show-up earlier than the time they suggest.  I like to get to the dock around noon or a little before.  We'll talk more about this as we get closer.  

Lol why am I not surprised that you don't abide by the time you are given.  Lol

Stupid question: are there plenty of handicapped cabs from the airport to Hotel? I read the supershuttle is not the way to go. Many saying it took 2 hours to get to the hotel since it makes a million stops. After 6+ hours of flying, I'm sure we don't want another 2 hour ride. 

Roz, I want to look up the cruise you are on and see if there is any possible way I can join.  The one starting November 16 (I think that was the date), I will just be getting off a cruise, in Florida, on the 9th, I can't make that one.  What cruise line is it?

Linda and Halo

47 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

Roz, I want to look up the cruise you are on and see if there is any possible way I can join.  The one starting November 16 (I think that was the date), I will just be getting off a cruise, in Florida, on the 9th, I can't make that one.  What cruise line is it?

Linda and Halo

Its Princess. I think she said Mexican Riviera. 

20 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

So another long flight for Henri one way? She is such a good traveler. 

Enjoy the Edge and I’ll be interested in hearing how you like it. It has some really cool features, but some oddities.

I told Henri the flight is only 9 1/2 hours this time - we are flying out of Seattle to make the flight a little shorter. 

Dianne

20 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I thought the Eurostar didn't allow dogs of any kind.

How are the people toward service dogs and people in wheelchairs?

Linda and Halo

Eurostar does not allow pets, only service dogs. They really scrutinize your paperwork and require proof of training by an organization that is a member of Assistance Dogs International. Eurostar gives your dog their own ticket with his/her name on it. This is the only time that I have had anyone scan Henri's microchip to make sure that the dog matched up with the paperwork.

People in wheelchairs are treated well in Europe - almost all of the museums let you go to the front of the line and tickets are free. We generally ride public transportation and it has worked out really well. We had no problems with Henri in France or the UK in museums, hotels or restaurants (except for one cab in Paris that refused to take us). I always check with the hotel and any private transportation providers ahead of time about bringing a service dog so that I don't have any problems when we arrive.

France and the UK have service dog laws similar to the US. Italy will be interesting since they only officially recognize guide dogs. I have already received the ok from our hotels in Venice and Rome and public transportation should not be a problem since they generally allow dogs. I did have to provide proof of training for our intra Europe flight (but not our flight to Germany since that is covered by the ACAA).

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL