Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On 9/11/2019 at 4:18 PM, Rozmorey1 said:

You will be asked to come down to a lounge in the very early morning, in some ports, so that an Immigration official can check your paperwork, your dog and you before the ship is cleared for anyone to debark.  I HATE THIS EARLY MORNING CALL THE MOST!

Cruising in May 202 with a group of 32 guide dogs.  I hope they don't call everyone down at 6am.  LOL  Only port I'm worried about is Grand Turk.  I've read on here where folks don't do the required permit & just don't get off the ship.  But Carnival keeps saying if you don't have the correct paperwork when checking in at Port Canaveral they won't let you on the ship?  But I'm not sure if the Carnival Port agents would even know what's required?

Amen for enjoying the ship while all the other guests are on shore!  I did that a lot back in February while still recovering from the latest ankle surgery.

Speaking of which, went to the Dr on Wednesday.  The ankle and knee just keep very slowly healing. I still have numbness in the leg between the ankle and knee just toward the inside.  Dr said if it is still that way then he can have neuro do testing, but it involves a lot of needles and might involve another surgery to release the pinch.  Anyone know anything about it?  I'm accepting that I now have a chronic condition that will never be 100%.  I'll always probably have good days and bad (don't we all!) and more and less pain depending on the day.  Some days I can do steps, other days no way.  He gave me a handicap car tag for the winter, though, for the bad days.  I'm still using temp tags.  He isn't ready to give up and give me a permanent one.  He had taken it away for the summer, saying I needed to "Use it" to strengthen it. I know I'm not walking correctly - hubby recognizes my gait from across campus.  

Going to try and send an updated picture of the boy dog.  Last Monday, at the vet, he weighed 28 lbs. and turned 13 weeks old on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, I took a tumble leaving the vet.  Tripped over Rocky, landed on my hands and knees and thought, Wow, doesn't even really hurt, not much of a scrape and the BOOM, then momentum caught up with me and slammed the right side of my head to the pavement.  Had a nice big ole swollen bump on my cheek.  Went to emergency just to make sure everything was okay.  You know us old folks, I have become weak and whiney!  Anyway, they did a CATSCAN and everything is a-ok.  Just a horrendus bruise down my cheek, slipping under my jaw.  If anyone asks what happened i just say ""You should see the other guy!"  Glad I didn't land on Rocky, he would have been renamed Flat Stanley.  

Hope everyone is doing well. 

IMG_0828.JPG

2 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Going to try and send an updated picture of the boy dog.  Last Monday, at the vet, he weighed 28 lbs. and turned 13 weeks old on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, I took a tumble leaving the vet.  Tripped over Rocky, landed on my hands and knees and thought, Wow, doesn't even really hurt, not much of a scrape and the BOOM, then momentum caught up with me and slammed the right side of my head to the pavement.  Had a nice big ole swollen bump on my cheek.  Went to emergency just to make sure everything was okay.  You know us old folks, I have become weak and whiney!  Anyway, they did a CATSCAN and everything is a-ok.  Just a horrendus bruise down my cheek, slipping under my jaw.  If anyone asks what happened i just say ""You should see the other guy!"  Glad I didn't land on Rocky, he would have been renamed Flat Stanley.  

IMG_0828.JPG

Wow, that kind of fall would have put me in the hospital.  Please take care.

He's getting more and more handsome.  You're doing a great job.

6 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Amen for enjoying the ship while all the other guests are on shore!  I did that a lot back in February while still recovering from the latest ankle surgery.

Speaking of which, went to the Dr on Wednesday.  The ankle and knee just keep very slowly healing. I still have numbness in the leg between the ankle and knee just toward the inside.  Dr said if it is still that way then he can have neuro do testing, but it involves a lot of needles and might involve another surgery to release the pinch.  Anyone know anything about it?  I'm accepting that I now have a chronic condition that will never be 100%.  I'll always probably have good days and bad (don't we all!) and more and less pain depending on the day.  Some days I can do steps, other days no way.  He gave me a handicap car tag for the winter, though, for the bad days.  I'm still using temp tags.  He isn't ready to give up and give me a permanent one.  He had taken it away for the summer, saying I needed to "Use it" to strengthen it. I know I'm not walking correctly - hubby recognizes my gait from across campus.  

Sounds like some serious re-hab is in your future.  I know what it feels like to have pain and numbness all at the same time.  I've been rendered to using a walker on long journeys on my feet.  I can't do stairs at all and can have shooting nerve pain from my jaw to the tips of my toes......so weird.  I've been told that only a spinal fusion will help and pain med's.  We'll see!

I hope you're able to have fewer pain days and that your walking becomes easier and easier for you.

7 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

Cruising in May 202 with a group of 32 guide dogs.  I hope they don't call everyone down at 6am.  LOL  Only port I'm worried about is Grand Turk.  I've read on here where folks don't do the required permit & just don't get off the ship.  But Carnival keeps saying if you don't have the correct paperwork when checking in at Port Canaveral they won't let you on the ship?  But I'm not sure if the Carnival Port agents would even know what's required?

It's going to be very interesting to see how they handle 32 dogs if they have to meet with Immigration at any port.  Rules may change for this cruise.

Having the Aphis 7001 form filled out by your Vet and training org. information will keep the ships registration happy.

The cruise ships don't want to turn you or your dog away.  

Thank you, Roz.  Rocky may be going away to boarding school, for training.  He may be too much of a handful for me.  I really can't believe how weak I have become.  I can barely control him now, I know when he gets bigger I won't be able too.  There is a place in Las Vegas that I was referred to from a local lady.  It is pricey, but I think it is going to be a must.  He is doing good in his training at Petsmart, but not as accommodating at home.  You know like your kids behave in public but act like crazy people at home.  I love this little guy to death, but. Need to do what is best for him to succeed.  

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.  We are finally at comfortable weather, although they did say 110 degrees today!  Just a little toasty!

2 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Thank you, Roz.  Rocky may be going away to boarding school, for training.  He may be too much of a handful for me.  I really can't believe how weak I have become.  I can barely control him now, I know when he gets bigger I won't be able too.  There is a place in Las Vegas that I was referred to from a local lady.  It is pricey, but I think it is going to be a must.  He is doing good in his training at Petsmart, but not as accommodating at home.  You know like your kids behave in public but act like crazy people at home.  I love this little guy to death, but. Need to do what is best for him to succeed.  

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.  We are finally at comfortable weather, although they did say 110 degrees today!  Just a little toasty!

Nancy, you'll make the right decision.  Trust your instincts.  You're a very responsible and loving pet owner. I don't think I would have the strength, stamina or courage to raise and train a puppy.  It's difficult enough to keep a highly trained Service Dog in tow.  I give you a lot of credit for doing as much as you have.  Please keep us all in the loop of Rocky's journey to becoming a "mensch!"

Well, I've been in contact with the wonderful moderators of Cruise Critic and their working on restoring my avatar.  It appears that I've had several log-in's since 2005 and have created many user names and passwords.  Until they get it straightened out, this is me for now.  🤔  Trust me, it's me!!!!!

When I used to work the IT Dept. would come to my desk and they'd be scratching their head in wonderment over how I managed to do what I did on the computer.......if only I could bottle it and sell it!!!!!! 🤑

I booked a cruise for next year......It's on board the Golden Princess going to Alaska with my SIL Debi leaving on May 30th.  The best part is it's out of L.A.  If I already mentioned this please forgive me.   After joining the Roll Call I found out there's about 3 other couples who are cruising with me who have cruised with Horton and me before.

It's the cruising out of L.A. that is the common denominator.  It seems that cruising out of L.A., with a return to L.A. draws a certain crowd and I've become part of them.  It's so easy to board the ship within a one hour drive of your home, without having to go through the hassle or expense of boarding a plane. Going to Alaska from L.A. is a bit more expensive because of the 3 sea days required to get to Vancouver or Seattle but probably not more than the air fare [and headache] of the airport or driving.  Morey and I once drove, with Brenda, to Seattle, to board the Golden in 2009.  It took 4 days to drive.

Also, cruising north on the Pacific Ocean can be very rough.  It makes for some very interesting sea days. 😏

On 9/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, MelanieDyer said:

32 dogs! Wow thats going to be interesting. We have gone to Turk many times and have not done the paperwork. 

On 9/13/2019 at 10:56 AM, Algebralovr said:

Take time to heal. I have never heard of a doctor taking away a placard. But I'm sure he knows best. 

On 9/13/2019 at 3:00 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

IMG_0828.JPG

Omg Nancy!!! So glad you are ok. I wish my grandpuppy had gone away to boot camp. He seems to injure me every time I see him. Hes 2 now and still a terror, mostly because my son refused to have him fixed. He's a cute little peanut but wild!! 

IMG_0712.jpg

Edited by rangeley

58 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Take time to heal. I have never heard of a doctor taking away a placard. But I'm sure he knows best. 

I've had a temp one off an on since the fall in 2015.  I'll have it, then I'll finish the round of PT and he will say, "I don't think you need the parking placard.  I want you to walk more."  Then a few months goes by, and I'm still not healed and he will say, "Let's rest it and see if that helps, then more PT" and give me a placard for 3 - 6 months.  Then that placard will expire and he'll say, "I want you to be out walking and using it.  It should be better now."  

We go round and round.  Part of the issue is that he is a 55 year old former military officer who I'm pretty sure runs marathons for fun.  I'm a 50 year old woman with severe allergies and asthma who trips over her own feet in a clear and well-lit hallway.  He has operated on this ankle twice, the second time he sawed through the tibia to get to the part that was most damaged, and pulled a plug of cartilidge from the knee (so knee surgery) to put into the ankle where I had none.  

I use the placard on the bad days, and park at the back of the lot and walk on the good days.  He did say that he expects it to be a full year from the last surgery before I'm fully healed.

9 hours ago, rangeley said:

Omg Nancy!!! So glad you are ok. I wish my grandpuppy had gone away to boot camp. He seems to injure me every time I see him. Hes 2 now and still a terror, mostly because my son refused to have him fixed. He's a cute little peanut but wild!! 

IMG_0712.jpg

I love this black face!

8 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I've had a temp one off an on since the fall in 2015.  I'll have it, then I'll finish the round of PT and he will say, "I don't think you need the parking placard.  I want you to walk more."  Then a few months goes by, and I'm still not healed and he will say, "Let's rest it and see if that helps, then more PT" and give me a placard for 3 - 6 months.  Then that placard will expire and he'll say, "I want you to be out walking and using it.  It should be better now."  

We go round and round.  Part of the issue is that he is a 55 year old former military officer who I'm pretty sure runs marathons for fun.  I'm a 50 year old woman with severe allergies and asthma who trips over her own feet in a clear and well-lit hallway.  He has operated on this ankle twice, the second time he sawed through the tibia to get to the part that was most damaged, and pulled a plug of cartilidge from the knee (so knee surgery) to put into the ankle where I had none.  

I use the placard on the bad days, and park at the back of the lot and walk on the good days.  He did say that he expects it to be a full year from the last surgery before I'm fully healed.

I hope your healed and well soon!

8 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

You sound like me. John calls me grace. I'm always tripping over something. Luckily not usually injured enough to have surgery!!

27 minutes ago, rangeley said:

You sound like me. John calls me grace. I'm always tripping over something. Luckily not usually injured enough to have surgery!!

With a Service Dog constantly underfoot, I have learned to walk more gingerly.....and, having a black dog can really be problematic in dark rooms and carpeting.  I have to be careful where I place him when we're sitting around on a cruise.  There's always the chance that someone will fall over him!