Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

2 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

I think the signs helped.Ā  We let Carnival know well in advance that we were coming.Ā  LOLĀ  Sent info to share with the crew.Ā  It was just a over all great experience.Ā  That being said my friend was on a different cruise with her guide and a drunk rude guest was upset because she wouldn't let him pet the dog nor would she tell her guide's name.Ā  The guest made threats against them.

There is no explaining rude, uncaring and negative people.....I've heard every comment that could be made and have been asked to leave more places since 2002 than I care to mention, from 5 Star Hotels to Chinese Restaurants, Buffet's, Department Stores, etc., etc., etc.Ā 

Ā 

I have NEVER walked out of anywhere because of my Service Dog.Ā  I stuck it out, through ugly comments and every kind of behavior you can imagine.Ā  Our dogs are the most well behaved animals on the planet and there would NEVER be cause for someone to be displeased except they just don't like dogs in their environment.

Ā 

It has definitely become easier since 2002 and as I age I've become more and more stubborn and less attentive to the remarks of others.Ā  There is something to be said for the aging process!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

I think the signs helped.Ā  We let Carnival know well in advance that we were coming.Ā  LOLĀ  Sent info to share with the crew.Ā  It was just a over all great experience.Ā  That being said my friend was on a different cruise with her guide and a drunk rude guest was upset because she wouldn't let him pet the dog nor would she tell her guide's name.Ā  The guest made threats against them.

Wow we havent had any threats, but plenty of rude people. Theres always plenty of attention and every dog owners different. John usually lets people pet the dog and tries to to plug CCI in the process. I would never approach a guide dog, thats a totally different thing.Ā 

Every service dog handler will have their own way of dealing with unwanted attention, and this is mine. Very, very few people have any understanding of service dog etiquette, and it is not their obligation to educate themselvesā€”it is OUR obligation to educate them if we can. If someone asks to pet Trooper, I almost always can say yes, asking the person to sit down and giving Trooper the "go say hello!" command. Then I explain what Trooper does for me as a hearing alert assistance dog, at the same time pressing a calling card with the Dogs for Better Lives info upon them. It's a victory when we not only educate someone but can make them friends of service dogs in general. SD handlers with guide dogs or those in wheelchairs or with mobility or social impairments may not find this so easy to do, however, and no obligation attaches to them.

Ā 

So far I have encountered no unruly drunks or rude people while cruising, but that's probably because Trooper and I sail the staid Geezer Line (HAL)Ā exclusively. Not that older people are any less curious, but they do have better manners in general. There are a few stink eyes, but those can be ignored.

Ā 

Ā 

8 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

Every service dog handler will have their own way of dealing with unwanted attention, and this is mine. Very, very few people have any understanding of service dog etiquette, and it is not their obligation to educate themselvesā€”it is OUR obligation to educate them if we can. If someone asks to pet Trooper, I almost always can say yes, asking the person to sit down and giving Trooper the "go say hello!" command. Then I explain what Trooper does for me as a hearing alert assistance dog, at the same time pressing a calling card with the Dogs for Better Lives info upon them. It's a victory when we not only educate someone but can make them friends of service dogs in general. SD handlers with guide dogs or those in wheelchairs or with mobility or social impairments may not find this so easy to do, however, and no obligation attaches to them.

Ā 

So far I have encountered no unruly drunks or rude people while cruising, but that's probably because Trooper and I sail the staid Geezer Line (HAL)Ā exclusively. Not that older people are any less curious, but they do have better manners in general. There are a few stink eyes, but those can be ignored.

Ā 

Ā 

8 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Your words are well taken!

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

Roz do you ever do the M&G? I've gone to a few. We usually don't because they are usually at 10am. I noticed this one is 4pm.

I like to drop in and meet everyone.Ā Ā If I feel a good connection, I stay, if not.....You give me a wink and I'll give you a "high sign" and we'll leave and head towards the Dining Room for Dinner.

Ā 

I like to make sure that Horton has had a chance to go potty before I sit down to a dinner and then head off to the show.Ā  His comfort is important to my having a good vacation.Ā  Usually, right after the show I take another walk to Horton's potty box and then make an evening plan.Ā  I head for a seat in a lounge, go up for a late ice cream treat, and play some tridominoes or people watch. Depending on my back I can stay up late or go back to the room and watch the movie of the day.Ā 

3 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Happy Weekend Everyone.Ā  It's my Birthday tomorrow........I'm celebrating with my children.Ā šŸŽˆ

Happy Birthday my friend! ā¤ļøšŸŽ‚šŸŽšŸŽ‰Ā  From Oakland too!Ā 

FB_IMG_1557365501899.jpg

Edited by rangeley

10 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I like to drop in and meet everyone.Ā Ā If I feel a good connection, I stay, if not.....You give me a wink and I'll give you a "high sign" and we'll leave and head towards the Dining Room for Dinner.

Ā 

I like to make sure that Horton has had a chance to go potty before I sit down to a dinner and then head off to the show.Ā  His comfort is important to my having a good vacation.Ā  Usually, right after the show I take another walk to Horton's potty box and then make an evening plan.Ā  I head for a seat in a lounge, go up for a late ice cream treat, and play some tridominoes or people watch. Depending on my back I can stay up late or go back to the room and watch the movie of the day.Ā 

Sounds like a plan. We pretty much go with the flow.Ā 

4 hours ago, rangeley said:

I still can't believe we are going!Ā 

If you see me first you have to yell......Thelma!Ā  If I see you first I'll yell.......Louise!Ā  Watch us both forget what to yell and totally walk by each other.....at least for the first time.Ā  I NEVER go out and about without Horton.Ā  You'll be able to walk right past me and I won't know it.Ā  I'll be looking for Oakland, John and you.Ā 

Ā 

It's going to be so hard not to cry, Cindy, we've been through so much together, without not being together.Ā Ā