Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I know the cruise is really close now. :) Just got Bailey's International Health Certificate. Last step. Well almost, I have to fax it to the cruise lines and TA but both of their faxes must be turned off after hours. I guess I will just try again in themorning. :rolleyes:

Hi All, Just a quick story... Last weekend we went to the 10th anniversary of the prison pup program at a prison near us. It was a wonderful event, about 200 people showed up. The prisoners are doing an amazing job with the dogs. There are 10 dogs currently training at this prison. All of them did a demonstration for us. Two standouts were these 5 month old black labs, they were amazing!!! 5 months old and so so smart. One had the dog walking beside a wheelchair. The other turning the light switch on and off. There was a Iraq vet there that had gotten a dog in June. As soon as the prisoner that trained him came in the room, the dog went nuts! It was incredibly touching. They had a few guest speakers and one girl was especially touching. I had tears coming down my face thinking of my beloved Rangeley. I don't know how I am going to make it through Joe's graduation in April without looking like a blubbering idiot. I can't believe how fast this is coming, John will be going to training next weekend the 10th for 2 weeks. John is feeling wierd and nervous and so am I. I will be alone for 2 weeks but John is hoping that he will be able to come home on the weekends since he has already had a dog before. For some stupid reason they have changed some of the commands so we will have to learn new ones after giving the same ones for 10yrs. But we can't complain, this organization is great!! Check it out at www.neads.org

I do have one question, does anyone have a problem with the water on the ship for their dog? Cari gives her dog some cranberry stuff a day before she cruises.

Thanks, Cindy

I would like to ask you a question, who is the provider of these dogs, and what agency supervises the training and testing of them? Is it a state agency, city agency or federal agency?

Thank you in advance for your reply

Missouri attorney general sues provider of service dogs

By JASON NOBLE

The Kansas City Star

Heaven Scent Paws, based in St. Elizabeth, Mo., provides service dogs and training sessions to teach them to recognize diabetic episodes.

But according to a lawsuit filed Monday by Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon’s office, the nonprofit organization has provided unsuitable dogs, failed to adequately train them, and created an unfair payment structure.

“We’ve heard from families across the country who paid thousands of dollars to this Missouri business to have a trained dog to help their diabetic children,” said Scott Holste, a spokesman for the attorney general’s office. “Heaven Scent Paws took advantage of those families.”

An attorney for Heaven Scent Paws, David Bandre, said any problems with dogs trained by the business rested with the families who purchased them.

“There’s a big difference between people who don’t like the results they get as a result of their own actions and being able to place blame on a company,” Bandre said.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction to force compliance with consumer- protection laws, plus restitution payments and civil penalties.

It names several families that filed complaints after contracting with Heaven Scent Paws to receive and train a dog that could accompany diabetic children and notify caregivers of high or low blood sugar episodes.

One family reported that its dog, Eggo, had never alerted family members of a possible diabetic episode and has exhibited fear, aggression and “the capacity to bite if cornered.”

According to the suit, an expert determined that Eggo and other dogs were not properly trained in scent detection and not temperamentally fit to be service dogs.

Dogs can be trained to detect hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, although “it takes quite a bit of effort,” said Ed Eames, president of the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners, an advocacy group for owners of service dogs.

The suit also alleges that Heaven Scent Paws inappropriately cites the association on its documentation to legitimize its services.

To receive a dog, families were required to give Heaven Scent Paws at least $6,000 and complete a three-week training session with their dogs in Jefferson City.

After the money was paid, the suit alleges, Heaven Scent Paws would require families to sign a contract allowing the organization to dismiss them from training without a refund. The contract also stipulated that Heaven Scent Paws retained ownership of dogs for a year after families took possession of them.

Complaints have come from families in several states, including California, Texas and Virginia, Holste said. No Missouri families have lodged complaints.

As of Tuesday, Heaven Scent Paws’ Web site still operated, and showed sold-out training sessions scheduled for July, October and January.

All this because there is no regulation for service dogs, nobody certifies them on a yearly basis.

Anybody can get a service dog it is only regulated by the IRS under tax rules.

All you need is a doctors statement that you need a dog to emotionally support you, and a vet to say they are healthy.

I keep on posting about this because the trashy companies making a profit off of the disabled are making those whom are ligament look bad, there needs to be government regulation for service animals. People whom really rely on a truly trained service animal should have them, but people who claim a dog helps them is just wanting their pet to be able to go anywhere and that is a true disservice to ligament animals out there.

A ligament organization will not charge for their animals, and business whom charges for a service animal is only ripping off the disabled.

Edited by Tinwoman

That is great that you keep in touch. Of the many puppies we raised, only Cactus' person kept in touch with us. You are so sweet to do that.

My Abby, died in April. I was so grief stricken I swore I would not get another. But when breeders heard about her passing they started to email me about a litter or potential puppy. No, No, No, I would say, I am not ready. My husband was encouraging me to find another dog too. I just couldn't. Then, a breeder sent me pictures of her new puppies. Totally UNFAIR. I said I could come look at them and temperment test.

I feel in love. We brought Bailey home at 10 weeks and started working with her immediately. She was amazing. (like the black labs you saw). By 8 months she passed her CGC. She of course went everywhere with us that a service dog in training was allowed. In July she passed her evaluation and is now my service dog. Since she is still very young, 18 months, she still has a lot to learn. This last week she has decided that she only will pick up the things she wants (teen age years). I guess it was 4 months from the time Abby died to when we got Bailey. But then she was just a puppy so it has really been more like 2 years since I had a SD. I still miss Abby so much. She literally saved my life and I will never forget her. Sorry, probably too much rambling.:o

Wow you trained your own service dog how interesting.

That is great that you keep in touch. Of the many puppies we raised, only Cactus' person kept in touch with us. You are so sweet to do that.

My Abby, died in April. I was so grief stricken I swore I would not get another. But when breeders heard about her passing they started to email me about a litter or potential puppy. No, No, No, I would say, I am not ready. My husband was encouraging me to find another dog too. I just couldn't. Then, a breeder sent me pictures of her new puppies. Totally UNFAIR. I said I could come look at them and temperment test.

I feel in love. We brought Bailey home at 10 weeks and started working with her immediately. She was amazing. (like the black labs you saw). By 8 months she passed her CGC. She of course went everywhere with us that a service dog in training was allowed. In July she passed her evaluation and is now my service dog. Since she is still very young, 18 months, she still has a lot to learn. This last week she has decided that she only will pick up the things she wants (teen age years). I guess it was 4 months from the time Abby died to when we got Bailey. But then she was just a puppy so it has really been more like 2 years since I had a SD. I still miss Abby so much. She literally saved my life and I will never forget her. Sorry, probably too much rambling.:o

I am curious who did the evaluation?

fee of an assistance dog is $9,500; $1,000 to be received by NEADS before you are matched with a dog; $1,000 to be received by NEADS before you begin training and the balance of $7,500 to be received by NEADS within one year of getting the dog. We will help you with this if you need to raise the money. This amount covers the cost of the dog and all associated equipment that you will bring home with your dog following your training here. This amount, $7,500, may be paid in full or you can arrange a time-payment schedule with us.

An organization that charges for a so called assistance dog is a business, handicap persons are not required to pay for service animals.

MINISTRY DOGS

We train these specialized dogs as service dogs. These dogs know skills such as retrieving things that are dropped, opening doors or cabinets, turning on and off light switches and more. They are placed with a minister in a church setting or as a chaplain in an institutional setting. The dog accompanies the minister in his or her duties including visiting those in hospitals, nursing homes or private residences, conducting worship services, greeting parishioners, meetings and day to day activities through the community. They also accompany the minister on pastoral calls, are present during worship, help with children’s’ stories, and provide comfort to those who are distressed. This dog has been specifically trained to help ease ministerial counseling and promote congregational harmony. The presence of a friendly, soft, engaging animal often puts people at ease. Ministers who have worked in teams with service dogs have noted that the dog is often recognized and approached first and people’s affect then seems much more relaxed. Children especially seem to find comfort in the presence of a friendly dog.

Oh wow sweet, are they allow to go on cruises too?

The Star Princess fire occured while the ship was in transit to Jamaica. The fire was extinguished and the ship was able to sail on to Jamaica, but the cruise was terminated at that point. Later the ship was taken for repairs, somewhere in Europe. While over 100 cabins were totally destroyed, ours was not. My husband and myself were fine, our daugters were with us, so we were able to remain pretty calm. At one point, we weren't sure if we were going to have to board life boats. We joked that we were glad we weren't out in the middle of the Pacific.

Wow! So glad nobody was hurt and that your things were not destroyed. I assume the ship got to Jamaica in the same day so they didn't have to try to sleep 100 cabins worth of ppl elsewhere on the ship? That's so great that you were able to remain calm! I'm not sure if I would be calm or not, especially if the possibility of life boats was involved!

Thank you for your very concise points regarding service dogs and legal access. I also thought church's would be required to follow ADA laws, so am glad I have the correct information.

You're welcome. :)

MINISTRY DOGS

We train these specialized dogs as service dogs. These dogs know skills such as retrieving things that are dropped, opening doors or cabinets, turning on and off light switches and more. They are placed with a minister in a church setting or as a chaplain in an institutional setting. The dog accompanies the minister in his or her duties including visiting those in hospitals, nursing homes or private residences, conducting worship services, greeting parishioners, meetings and day to day activities through the community. They also accompany the minister on pastoral calls, are present during worship, help with children’s’ stories, and provide comfort to those who are distressed. This dog has been specifically trained to help ease ministerial counseling and promote congregational harmony. The presence of a friendly, soft, engaging animal often puts people at ease. Ministers who have worked in teams with service dogs have noted that the dog is often recognized and approached first and people’s affect then seems much more relaxed. Children especially seem to find comfort in the presence of a friendly dog.

No, those dogs are not SD they are therapy dogs and as such would not be allowed on the cruise. You seem to forget that a SD must have documentation for a medical need (not a comfort, support, or therapy dog). There is a big difference between the tasks of a therapy dog and SD.

Bailey has had all training as specified in IAADP guidelines. This includes well over 120 hours in obedience. She has her CGC, She has hundreds of hours of public socialization, including public transit, when she was in training.

She was evaulated by Delta Society and passed for Therapy dog - AGAIN, Therapy dog IS NOT A SERVICE DOG WITH ALL ACCESS RIGHTS. It is just that Bailey is ALSO a registered thereapy dog with Delta Society.

I have trained her to assist with left side boundary as I have a visual defect and can run into things without a left side guideline. She has been trained to provide Medical Alert when I need medication or need rest.

I have trained her to open doors and pick up things I have dropped.

She continues to learn tasks.

She was evaluted and observed performing these tasks by two people that did not know her. One certified Delta Evaluator, one AKC judge. They followed us in stores, restraurants, in public and made sure she could do at least three medical necessary tasks for me. She passed all the requirements of IAADP. These guidelines are used as the minimun standard for ethical trainers!

I trust that answers your questions.

:mad: quam

give it a rest already... if we needed an ADA referee we would ask for one .... your word is not the gospel and yes service dogs are allowed in churches LOL geeze...cant you find anytihing better to do than to nit pick everyones posts and referee???

It is not according to me, it is according to the laws, a.k.a the ADA. I'm not nit-picking anybody's posts, just explaining laws that people here need to know if they have an SD (or own a business).

No, churches (and any other type of religious organization) are NOT under the ADA. If the church chooses to allow an SD in, then they can go in where the church allows them. If a church does not want an SD there, the SD is not allowed and there is nothing the disabled person can do legally about it.

i mean you have replied to everyones posts like you were the ADA god yourself !!!! this is a board about crusing and service dogs and if we want to share things about our experiences then let us do it , but dont sit there and try to prove everyone wrong or say your word is the final word and the ADA law is what quam says it is LOL GIVE IT A REST i know im tired of it cant speak for everyone else , but im sick of it ..... cant we all just talk about our cruises and dogs !!! LOL

No, I did not reply like I was an ADA "god". I simply educated about the laws. If one uses an SD, they need to know which places are not covered by the ADA, as there are several such types of places. Several ppl mentioned things that aren't actually under the law.

You can find the law here: http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html and do an Edit/Find search for "religious" to see all the info. on religious organizations being exempt from the ADA. Other exampls of exempt places are places of lodging where there are 5 or less rooms for rent AND the proprietor lives on-site [such as bed & breakfasts], private clubs, and places like operating rooms and food preparation areas (i.e. restaurant kitchens).

One part you will find is a good explanation in the list below the actual laws:

"'Religious entity.'' The term 'religious entity' is defined in accordance with section 307 of the ADA as a religious organization or entity controlled by a religious organization, including a place of worship. Section 36.102(e) of the rule states that the rule does not apply to any religious entity.

The ADA's exemption of religious organizations and religious entities controlled by religious organizations is very broad, encompassing a wide variety of situations. Religious organizations and entities controlled by religious organizations have no obligations under the ADA. Even when a religious organization carries out activities that would othervise make it a public accommodation, the religious organization is exempt from ADA coverage. Thus, if a church itself operates a day care center, a nursing home, a private school, or a diocesan school system, the operations of the center, home, school, or schools would not be subject to the requirements of the ADA or this part. The religious entity would not lose its exemption merely because the services provided were open to the general public. The test is whether the church or other religious organization operates the public accommodation, not which individuals receive the public accommodation's services.

Religious entities that are controlled by religious organizations are also exempt from the ADA's requirements. Many religious organizations in the United States use lay boards and other secular or corporate mechanisms to operate schools and an array of social services. The use of a lay board or other mechanism does not itself remove the ADA's religious exemption. Thus, a parochial school, having religious doctrine in its curriculum and sponsored by a religious order, could be exempt either as a religious organization or as an entity controlled by a religious organization, even if it has a lay board. The test remains a factual one -- whether the church or other religious organization controls the operations of the school or of the service or whether the school or service is itself a religious organization.

Although a religious organization or a religious entity that is controlled by a religious organization has no obligations under the rule, a public accommodation that is not itself a religious organization, but that operates a place of public accommodation in leased space on the property of a religious entity, which is not a place of worship, is subject to the rule's requirements if it is not under control of a religious organization. When a church rents meeting space, which is not a place of worship, to a local community group or to a private, independent day care center, the ADA applies to the activities of the local community group and day care center if a lease exists and consideration is paid."

"Well, you're disabled; you hve special privileges!" I heard that several times on my recent cruise, for example, when it appeared I was getting moved to the front of lines, or if people saw someone holding a door open for me.

And I thought holding a door open for somebody, disabled or not, was just common courtesy!! :eek: Wow, that is terrible that ppl have told you that you have special privileges. I'm sure you'd MUCH rather trade their working body for your "privileges"!

And I thought holding a door open for somebody, disabled or not, was just common courtesy!! :eek: Wow, that is terrible that ppl have told you that you have special privileges. I'm sure you'd MUCH rather trade their working body for your "privileges"!

Well said, I would trade any day!!

Also I'm very disgusted that these islands have not contacted me at all. Martinique was the only one that emailed us back. I have called and emailed many times and no answers at all!!! I even talked to someone in the Bahamas and she didn't send me the form to fill out, she mails me some tourist pamphlet!! Luckily Cari had emailed it to me.

That stinks that they didn't get back to you! For future reference, the form for the Bahamas can be found on the Bahamas Web site: http://www.bahamas.com/assets/content/pdf/BAHAMAS%20IMPORT%20REQUIREMENTS_FORM_070604.pdf

One more thing and I'll stop babbling. I was wondering if anyone else gives their dog anything before the cruise. Cari gives her dog some cranberry relief stuff and I was wondering if anyone else does. And do any of you have problems with the water on the ship for your dogs?

I don't give anything different before trips (her food and supplements - the supplements are Nupro [an overall-health supplement that is all-natural], Dasuquin, and Welactin). For the cruise, I did put MotionEaze on my dog's ears every day (it is an herbal anti-seasickness med for both humans and animals - I used it myself, as well, although I also took a Bonine each day, since I do get motion and seasick).

Even though the ship water is filtered and my dog doesn't have any issues when changing waters from place to place, for the cruise (since it is filtered salty sea water) I brought along pouched doggy water called Wet Bone (do a Google for their Web site - it is NOT their name with a ".com" after - that one is a dirty site!). It was especially useful on off-ship excursions. I got it from PetFoodDirect.com, which has a good price on it.

If you do decide to give your dog something different, like the cranberry stuff, make sure you introduce it at least a week or two before the trip. This way, you'll know your dog doesn't have any problems with it (allergies or doesn't work well in his system or it conflicts with other things he eats/takes) and your dog's system will be used to it.

If leaving Orson alone is our only option, we may have to re-think doing the stingray adventure. When we were still training at CCI, we tried leaving him alone in his kennel in our dorm room and we were told he barked the whole time we were gone. Since we've been home, he's had the company of our other two dogs. We may have to try putting him in his kennel alone and seeing how he reacts.

You might want to try an ultrasonic dog shutter-upper (uhm, yeah, that's the technical term, LOL!). There is a small tabletop one that sells for about $25. Every time a dog barks, it sounds a noise that is loud to dogs (humans can only hear a very faint high-pitched sound - not enough to bother anybody even in the same room as the device). There is also a button on the top of the device to make the sound play when you push it so you can use the device to discourage non-barking behaviours. The device runs on batteries (a few AAs, I think, and they last a long time).

I forget the company name that makes it - Pet something-or-other - but you should be able to find it via Google. It is grey plastic, oval-shaped (standing up), has two "speakers" on the front, and has a button on top.

A ligament organization will not charge for their animals, and business whom charges for a service animal is only ripping off the disabled.

That is not true. Many legitimate organizations and businesses charge some type of fee (whether it is an application fee or that and a portion of the dog's costs) because SDs are not cheap to raise and train (tens of thousands of dollars or more). Not only that, but when somebody gets something for free, many times it is not treasured/treated/respected/etc. as well as somebody who paid some type of money (or hard work, like fundraising or working for the organization) for it.

Whether it is a small fee or a large fee for a real SD, it is not ripping anybody off.

An organization that charges for a so called assistance dog is a business, handicap persons are not required to pay for service animals.

There is no law or rule that says an SD must be free. Both SD organizations and SD businesses can charge whatever they need or want to charge for their product (in this case, a medical device called a service dog).

MINISTRY DOGS

No, they are not allowed in any no-pets-allowed public place (unless said place gives them permission, which hospitals and nursing homes often do for therapy dogs).

The only people under the ADA who are allowed to bring an SD into no-pets public places are people who are disabled. While NEADS is a genuine and respected SD organization, they encourage these ministers to do something illegal when they say they can take these therapy dogs everywhere with them and that they are covered under the ADA. Trainers of dogs are not covered under the ADA; only disabled people are. These ministry dogs cannot legally accompany their ministers in restaurants, stores, etc. where pets are not allowed because the minister is not disabled. (There are some states that have laws for access for trainers of SDs, but since these ministry dogs are not in training to be SDs, those laws do not apply.)

The only dogs under the ADA are ones handled by a disabled person (person with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities [such as seeing, hearing, walking, caring for self, etc.]) and that have also been trained to be an SD (individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability [such as guide work or retrieving things or alerting to sounds/medical conditions] as well as act appropriately in public [businesses can legally kick out any ill-behaved dog, such as one that keeps barking during a movie/performance or one that is aggressive or one that is out of control]).

This question is for those of you who have cruised with your SD.

Was there anything you didn't pack for your SD that you wished you had or would have been nice to have on the ship:confused:

I am going through my list and checking in twice:cool:

fee of an assistance dog is $9,500; $1,000 to be received by NEADS before you are matched with a dog; $1,000 to be received by NEADS before you begin training and the balance of $7,500 to be received by NEADS within one year of getting the dog. We will help you with this if you need to raise the money. This amount covers the cost of the dog and all associated equipment that you will bring home with your dog following your training here. This amount, $7,500, may be paid in full or you can arrange a time-payment schedule with us.

We don't pay a dime for the dog. It's all donations. The actual cost of training the dogs is 20,000. The HP person tries to raise the 9,500 which is all donated by foundations,organizations and private donations.

Darcie: Have a wonderful cruise. Don't forget to find the "Promenade" deck, where you can take your dog for walks (on leash) and watch the sea, horizon or the land, once you've docked. It's a glorious thing. And, look out for "sneaky patters" who can't wait to catch a "pat" of your dog, of course, while your in the elevator.

I once forgot to bring enough of Brenda's favorite "chewies", these are the enzyme chews that I give her twice a day......they clean her breath and teeth and she loves them. I had to go to the purser, who took them down to the paper cutter and have the ones I had left cut into smaller pieces to last the rest of my cruise. I never did that again.

Don't forget your dogs favorite toy, just one will do! I once had to go to Walmart, once we were docked, to buy some tennis balls.....I lost the "one" ball I brought onboard! :o

I always bring bottled water (a flat from Costco) onboard for Brenda. I put a large label on it with name/ship/cruise date and cabin number. In all of our cruising, I've never had to go without it, it always makes it to my cabin!

NOTE: CCI does not charge for their dogs. They will ask for a donation of $100 to cover the cost of the vest/feeding dishes/leash and collar. But, if you don't have it, they don't insist. The cost to CCI of breeding/puppy raising and training of one of their remarkable dogs is now over $50,000 per dog!

Tinwoman: Lighten up! And, Quam.....what can I say. :rolleyes:

Happy cruising, with your Service Dogs, to all!!!!!!!!

Darcie: Have a wonderful cruise. Don't forget to find the "Promenade" deck, where you can take your dog for walks (on leash) and watch the sea, horizon or the land, once you've docked. It's a glorious thing. And, look out for "sneaky patters" who can't wait to catch a "pat" of your dog, of course, while your in the elevator.

I once forgot to bring enough of Brenda's favorite "chewies", these are the enzyme chews that I give her twice a day......they clean her breath and teeth and she loves them. I had to go to the purser, who took them down to the paper cutter and have the ones I had left cut into smaller pieces to last the rest of my cruise. I never did that again.

Don't forget your dogs favorite toy, just one will do! I once had to go to Walmart, once we were docked, to buy some tennis balls.....I lost the "one" ball I brought onboard! :o

I always bring bottled water (a flat from Costco) onboard for Brenda. I put a large label on it with name/ship/cruise date and cabin number. In all of our cruising, I've never had to go without it, it always makes it to my cabin!

Thanks Roz, I really do appreciate all the help you and Quam have given me in getting ready for the cruise.

I think we are all set now. I too give Bailey one CETA Dental chew a day. That is a good idea about cutting them in half, I will do that with a few just to make sure we have enough (those are her favorites so she made need an extra sometime for comfort). ;)

When we got her International Health Certificate yesterday, I did ask her vet about motion sickness remedies, just in case. He didn't feel it would be an issue as she has never been motion sick. He suggested getting some Bonnie just in case and figured the dosage for her weight. He said he liked Bonnie better than dramamine but either would do. I will still take some ginger snaps.

So, this will be my last post until we get back. :D

NOTE: CCI does not charge for their dogs. They will ask for a donation of $100 to cover the cost of the vest/feeding dishes/leash and collar. But, if you don't have it, they don't insist. The cost to CCI of breeding/puppy raising and training of one of their remarkable dogs is now over $50,000 per dog!

Happy cruising, with your Service Dogs, to all!!!!!!!!

When we trained at CCI on Long Island 2 months ago, we were asked for a $100 room deposit. Just in case we trashed our room. We would have gotten it back at the end of the two weeks but the whole class decided to give it to CCI as our donation ($800). So all the supplies we got (2 leashes, 1 vest, bowls, measuring cup & collar) were free. We can also get a new free vest once a year if we need it.