Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, you could bring him and just sit near the back on the end of a row so there's a place for a big dog like Horty to settle.

We had a memorial service a month after my father-in-law died last year, and there was a brass band which he loved. I decided to sit with my dog at the back because I knew it was going to get pretty loud down front with the family. I figured I could take her out without anyone knowing if I had to...she's sometimes a loud "groaner" and people look around wondering who's making those noises!

Barb, some amazing stories come out of these floods. We saw on the news a father and two children being rescued. He thought he could get through the water and his car got overturned with the children trapped in the back, underwater and harnessed into their seats. What a story! All were rescued and CPR applied.

Sometimes I find myself glued to the t.v. news and weather channel.

I hope the kitty's get saved.

I have a question-off topic; to anyone who's taken their Service Dogs to a funeral and to graveside. What is your feeling? I don't want to leave Horton in the car due to our warm weather and I have a funeral that I MUST attend tomorrow. I was thinking about putting him in "doggie day care" for the time but I also really do need his assistance. What are your thoughts?

Thank goodness this is not something I need to worry about too often!

Roz, when my last grandmother passed away we took Gibson with us for the entire thing. He rested by Diana's wheelchair at the front of the chapel. Then we went to the graveside, and finally to a country club for a family meal. He was good as gold the whole time.

Don't forget what you always say, Horton is just like durable medical equipment. Where you go, he goes. He is your wingman, can't fly without Horton. :D

Just my two cents worth.

Thanks!

Beckie

Roz, you could bring him and just sit near the back on the end of a row so there's a place for a big dog like Horty to settle.

We had a memorial service a month after my father-in-law died last year, and there was a brass band which he loved. I decided to sit with my dog at the back because I knew it was going to get pretty loud down front with the family. I figured I could take her out without anyone knowing if I had to...she's sometimes a loud "groaner" and people look around wondering who's making those noises!

Thank you Chris. My Horty is also a "groaner." Heavy sighs have nothing on the noises that Horton can make, and I love them all!

Roz, when my last grandmother passed away we took Gibson with us for the entire thing. He rested by Diana's wheelchair at the front of the chapel. Then we went to the graveside, and finally to a country club for a family meal. He was good as gold the whole time.

Don't forget what you always say, Horton is just like durable medical equipment. Where you go, he goes. He is your wingman, can't fly without Horton. :D

Just my two cents worth.

Thanks!

Beckie

Beckie, you are so right. I'm taking him with me....he is my fur partner and I will not leave him behind, thank you!

I am so glad to read about the groaner. Since I am new to having a service dog and still trying to get over my thoughts of disturbing others, I had thought this was inappropriate. Glad to know it is not. I think my trainer has to work harder on training me not to be worried about what others think.

Linda and Halo

I am so glad to read about the groaner. Since I am new to having a service dog and still trying to get over my thoughts of disturbing others, I had thought this was inappropriate. Glad to know it is not. I think my trainer has to work harder on training me not to be worried about what others think.

Linda and Halo

Linda, actually it's funny when Horton goes to lay down he makes a sound like an old man and then when he turns over he makes a deeper grunting sound......I know he's trying to talk and this is the only voice he has. I love to hear from him.

The sensitivity that we have towards others in the public and our families is a good thing. It keeps us sharp and on our toes in regard to the well-being and lives of our dogs. I, too, think that I could lighten-up a bit when it comes to always thinking how others perceive me and my dog. It's probably so normal for we who walk or wheel with these amazing beings!

Don't ever worry about taking a service dog anywhere! Whether he is for your own assistance, in training, or was or is someone else's aid, he is not only your family member but has a job just as important, if not more so, than eye glasses, hearing aids, cane, etc. If he groans, so what? People can make unpleasant noises (smelly ones, too) in public. Anywhere any human is allowed, your fury aid should be welcomed with a smile! Cruise, travel, LIVE life to its fullest!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Don't ever worry about taking a service dog anywhere! Whether he is for your own assistance, in training, or was or is someone else's aid, he is not only your family member but has a job just as important, if not more so, than eye glasses, hearing aids, cane, etc. If he groans, so what? People can make unpleasant noises (smelly ones, too) in public. Anywhere any human is allowed, your fury aid should be welcomed with a smile! Cruise, travel, LIVE life to its fullest!

Thank you, you're very kind!

Roz, Halo groans laying down and rolling over and, sometimes, it seems, when he is bored.

My100cats, thank you so much. I think, part of my concern, is being "perfect" because of all the fakers out there.

Sounds like groaning is quite common with our dogs!

Henri only groans when she is protesting a "down" command. She will go down, but she will give me that little groan to let me know that she isn't completely happy about it. She is also known to snore (very softly) too. I don't worry about her noises; if anyone does hear her they usually start smiling.

Dianne

Hey Everyone - I had to fly to Vegas on business this week (no really) and I got to the airport early so I thought I would check out the Service Dog relief area at the Charlotte airport.

We are very proud of the airport here...nice rocking chairs if you want to take a break, a baby grand piano that many passengers will sit at and tickle the ivories and a lot of nice restaurants so I was curious as to how we were complying with the new regs regarding relief areas.

So here it is - between concourses A & B they have built a new connector walkway, and there you will find - a 5x5 (at least) area with very nice artificial turf which looks just like a lawn, a bag dispenser and disposal station, and also a clean-up station with hand soap and towels and last but not least...

in the middle of the grass area is a RED FIRE HYDRANT!...how cool is that?

btw our lab groans as well...loudly; and I have already told Dottie any and all dogs are welcome at my service. We went to my BIL's funeral a few weeks ago and there were wild turkeys walking around his site when we got there...his wife said he would have loved that!

Keith

I don't worry about Raylene's noises, either. A couple of months after I got her, I was at a seminar and she was hidden on the floor beneath a tablecloth. People who came later had no idea she was there, so when she started groaning after an hour or so (probably a hint she wanted to leave), people looked in my direction - I think they thought it was my commentary on the speaker droning on and on.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! and to one of its longest-running threads that Roz began so many years ago. I think you'll find people on this forum who are partnered with working dogs are indeed champions of taking our partners just about everywhere.

Sometimes we all make judgement calls about taking them somewhere that's not in the dog's best interests. For example, I went to the wonderful World War II Museum in New Orleans on Thursday. Raylene was with me all day, but I did not take her into the 4-D movie - It has sudden explosions and bursts of blinding light, sounds, actual smoke, even shaking theater seats. It's not appropriate for all humans, either. I wouldn't take her on an amusement park ride or loud movie, either. I know in the 4-D movie, she would have been agitated trying to alert me for 45 minutes, and decided we didn't need the stress. So we all decide what's best for the dog and the partnership as we go along.

I take Henri everywhere with me - the only exception so far has been concerts. The music is sometimes too loud even for me and I know she would not like it. I have taken her to a show in Las Vegas, but I was prepared to take her out if it looked like the music was bothering her.

Dianne

OK everybody, meet Gretel. She is my daughters new service dog. She is a full black lab. It was a long two weeks in team training. It just so happens that Gretel was raised by very good friends of ours. We have known since she was 8 weeks old. We just got home Saturday morning and she is adjusting to our house very well.

c72a13f9-efae-4eef-a808-af7f309ff093.jpg

OK everybody, meet Gretel. She is my daughters new service dog. She is a full black lab. It was a long two weeks in team training. It just so happens that Gretel was raised by very good friends of ours. We have known since she was 8 weeks old. We just got home Saturday morning and she is adjusting to our house very well.

What a beautiful girl is Gretel! Tears of joy in Kansas City, over Kim's new partner! I was watching this thread all weekend, just hoping for an update. She is even more special because you already know her. Please tell Kim we are overjoyed.

Thank you so much for posting her picture!

Beckie

Congrats!! She is beautiful (although I am partial to the black labs)!

Dianne

She's beautiful!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

So excited to meet Gretel! We're all going to look forward to lots of stories in the months to come. (From that photo, it looks like Gretel is a prime candidate for a Disney cruise.)

No cruise scheduled yet. She will be going to Disney World in December.