Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I don't think I would even be comfortable leaving Halo unattended. I might leave him at home, but never more than 2 hours.

When we go to Cuba, my daughter will be taking care of him. After she goes off to college, if we don't take him with (I am really starting to need him more and more, so that won't happen often), I am going to have him stay with the trainer for "refresher".

Linda and Halo

never a good idea to leave your dog behind in the cabin. It serves no purpose and really sends a negative message to the dog, who should ALWAYS be by your side. If you MUST leave him behind, he should be watched by a family member or friends onboard. I never do this......If Horton can't go off, I can't go off!

I'm off to Eugene, Oregon, next Friday to watch my Granddaughter graduate from High School. OMG, how did that time fly by so quickly? She's our Kendal Jenner look alike, without the attitude! I'm going to be driving up with Horton. I

I would never leave Henri alone - on the very very rare occasion that I have not had Henri with me, I always leave her with a family member. We had so many offers on our cruise to babysit Henri - we had one couple who really wanted her to spend the night with them in their cabin. I wouldn't do that of course, but I did let Henri greet the wife with her vest off (if Henri has her vest on she is really calm and composed and at most will give a slight tail wag when people greet her). She was so happy to get to meet the "real" Henri (she is completely different with her vest off - lots of tail wagging, hugs and kisses). The woman's sister came up to me later and said that she was literally crying and that I had made her cruise.

Congratulations to your granddaughter and safe travels next week Roz and Horton.

Dianne

Halo is like Henri with and without his vest. He is a very calm dog both ways, but with his vest will give a slight wag, without it, tail and kisses go crazy.

He is so funny at home, we say he gives drive by kisses. When he walks past you, no matter where he is going, he will give me a quick kiss.

Linda and Halo

Hi everyone!

I've been really absent. On May 5th, I fell and badly broke my ankle. Had to have surgery, and that turned into a problem. Guess I aspirated on the table and stopped breathing. That got fixed. But I cannot put weight on my foot for several months.

Jagger has been a sweetie. I'm staying at my Mom's because I can't take care of myself and Jagger. So he's getting a BIG vacation. He is very attentive though. He's going very well on the commands I do use. Will have to do a bit of a refresher of things when I can walk again.

Changed my three day cruise into the four day one. Love that at-sea day and the less hectic-ness of a four day compared to a three day.

In other fun news, we are working on doing a group cruise for our service dog organization. That should be fun with so many onboard. (already checked with Carnival on having so many dogs) Probably won't be over 10 dogs anyway.

I have to go and read some back pages. I've missed reading many posts because it was hard to get to the computer.

Hello to new members! Love hearing about all the dogs I "know" and your adventures. :)

Holly

Roz, enjoy that drive! Oregon is so beautiful.

We are in Oregon now for another week, camping in state parks on the coast. Spectacular scenery! We had a really fun morning June 1 at snowy Crater Lake, with enough road open to go to the visitor center and drive a small part of the rim road and see the stunning lake. Hot chocolate by the lodge fireplace gave Raylene a chance to snooze, and then we had clam chowder in the lodge dining room.

This week we also visited Raylene's trainer - you can imagine what a joyful, puppyish reunion that was! If I had a better internet connection, I'd post a pic.

We visited the Dogs for the Deaf campus in Central Point for the first time yesterday (DFD delivers the dogs to clients for in-home training). We had a tour and met the head of training. There's a beautiful portrait photo if Raylene in the reception area!

We're a long way from Florida but enjoying every minute of this two-month road trip!

Hi everyone!

I've been really absent. On May 5th, I fell and badly broke my ankle. Had to have surgery, and that turned into a problem. Guess I aspirated on the table and stopped breathing. That got fixed. But I cannot put weight on my foot for several months.

Jagger has been a sweetie. I'm staying at my Mom's because I can't take care of myself and Jagger. So he's getting a BIG vacation. He is very attentive though. He's going very well on the commands I do use. Will have to do a bit of a refresher of things when I can walk again.

Changed my three day cruise into the four day one. Love that at-sea day and the less hectic-ness of a four day compared to a three day.

In other fun news, we are working on doing a group cruise for our service dog organization. That should be fun with so many onboard. (already checked with Carnival on having so many dogs) Probably won't be over 10 dogs anyway.

I have to go and read some back pages. I've missed reading many posts because it was hard to get to the computer.

Hello to new members! Love hearing about all the dogs I "know" and your adventures. :)

Holly

Holly we've been missing you, and worrying that something was amiss. So sorry about your broken ankle, but glad your mom is willing to help.

Wish we could go on your service dog grand tour cruise. What fun that would be! Keep us posted on how your plans are going.

Cyber hugs coming your way from Kansas City!

Beckie

Holly, if your willing, can you post about the cruise?

Linda and Halo

It will be December 9, 2018. The Carnival Liberty out of Port Canaveral. Picked that one because a four day is a good choice since many will not have taken their dogs on a cruise before. Prices are pretty decent. We'll get a group rate, plus OBC. Chances are we'll get extra "points" for bookings so we'll decide how best to turn those in to benefit everyone. (I'm already booked and will receive no incentive or financial benefit)

We might do a couple of group things, but we want everyone to be able to do what they want to do. Want to make a nice blend of having a fun group, but still having the freedom to enjoy the things they like to do.

We're basically doing this as a group cruise for our Service Dog organization, but are not against others joining us as long as all dogs are well trained. (I hope that comment doesn't offend anyone. I figure it won't on here as we all may have had to deal with the fakers)

Picked the far out date to give people time to be able save/pay off a cruise. We are using an agent, but all monies will go to Carnival Fun Ship Pay with proof of payment and a booking number. The deposits are lower, so that means when the "regular" Carnival deposit is paid, one may select actual cabin. Until then, it's booked by category.

Halo is like Henri with and without his vest. He is a very calm dog both ways, but with his vest will give a slight wag, without it, tail and kisses go crazy.

He is so funny at home, we say he gives drive by kisses. When he walks past you, no matter where he is going, he will give me a quick kiss.

Linda and Halo

Halo and Henri sound like twins!

Dianne

Hi everyone!

Holly

Holly,

So sorry to hear of your injury. Sending good thoughts for fast healing.

Dianne

Roz, enjoy that drive! Oregon is so beautiful.

We are in Oregon now for another week, camping in state parks on the coast. Spectacular scenery! We had a really fun morning June 1 at snowy Crater Lake, with enough road open to go to the visitor center and drive a small part of the rim road and see the stunning lake. Hot chocolate by the lodge fireplace gave Raylene a chance to snooze, and then we had clam chowder in the lodge dining room.

Chris,

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time on your trip. Crater Lake is spectacular. We camped near there many years ago.

Will you be coming to California?

Dianne

Holly, I've been thinking of you and wondered where you were. I'm so sorry about your accident and hope that you're getting stronger every day. Ankles can be so painful and hard to heal. My very best, healing wishes for you!

Chris, if you happen to spot a big black lab and big blonde walking a rest stop, somewhere in Oregon.......Please come over and give me a big hug!!!!!

Have a safe and fun trip!

Halo sounds like a sweetheart and we know that Henri is. :*

I'm going to make a dollar lei for Shayna's graduation. Have you seen them? They're lei's made of dollar bills. The kids wear them around their necks at graduation. The dollars are made into all sorts of shapes and sizes. I'm going to make them into pin-wheels. Didn't have them when I graduated. The kids love getting them and I'm going to have fun making it!

Chris,

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time on your trip. Crater Lake is spectacular. We camped near there many years ago.

Will you be coming to California?

Dianne

We spent a week or so hitting some of the tourist places like Yosemite, Carmel/Monterey, Sonoma, and the Redwoods.,,,can't believe it never dawned on me to find out where you and Roz are that might have been close. (Head slap.)

Roz, we're mostly out on the Oregon coast, though we will be inland a little bit. My husband always points out other dogs to me - especially Labs, and DEFINITELY black Labs. So if we spot you, you'll know it!!

We spent a week or so hitting some of the tourist places like Yosemite, Carmel/Monterey, Sonoma, and the Redwoods.,,,can't believe it never dawned on me to find out where you and Roz are that might have been close. (Head slap.)

Roz, we're mostly out on the Oregon coast, though we will be inland a little bit. My husband always points out other dogs to me - especially Labs, and DEFINITELY black Labs. So if we spot you, you'll know it!!

I wish!

We'll be along Interstate 5. We'll stop in Redding, CA on Friday night [the trip from L.A. to Redding is long and filled with lots of truckers going home for the weekend.] I try to stay as far away from them as I can. I have total respect for what they do and for the rigs that they're responsible for.

I'll leave, from Redding, CA, for Oregon, via Interstate 5 on Saturday morning, my usual stop is Medford, Oregon and then it's a straight drive into Eugene. Well, not so straight since we do pass the Cascades, Mt. Shasta, Mt. St. Helen and some of the most beautiful pine forests that can be seen in the good old USA!

If you're anywhere inland during our Saturday drive, let me know by Thursday, I'd love to see you. One of Morey's and my favorite places on the Oregon Coast was Depoe Bay.......if you're there, have a bowl of chowder at the Sea Witch for me!

Have safe travels. Isn't the USA awesomely beautiful! :hearteyes:

Sorry that we missed you - we are pretty close to Sonoma. Next time!

Dianne

If you're anywhere inland during our Saturday drive, let me know by Thursday, I'd love to see you. One of Morey's and my favorite places on the Oregon Coast was Depoe Bay.......if you're there, have a bowl of chowder at the Sea Witch for me!

Have safe travels. Isn't the USA awesomely beautiful! :hearteyes:

Have a safe trip Roz. The lei idea sounds like a great graduation gift.

Dianne

Hi All,

I've missed all of you. Had alot going on in the past few months. Some good, mostly bad. Things are getting back to normal so I hope to get caught up with the goings-on​ in here. Attaching a recent pic of the boy.

Cindy 7bd7818af2cefe7aa0e8a81c2a7a26d5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I love this picture - Wex looks so distinguished.

Dianne

Hi All,

I've missed all of you. Had alot going on in the past few months. Some good, mostly bad. Things are getting back to normal so I hope to get caught up with the goings-on​ in here. Attaching a recent pic of the boy.

Cindy 7bd7818af2cefe7aa0e8a81c2a7a26d5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Oh! Wexy! You are turning into the silver fox!!!!! Such a handsome boy.

Cindy, I'm sorry to hear that you've had some "bad" stuff happening. I hope it's behind you now!!!!!

I wish you and your family well!!!!