Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So for the person who was talking about sand in the box, good luck. Why do they ask us to fill out the form and ask what we want and then completely ignored it?

Sorry for babbling on.

Cindy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

You are so right Cindy, it is so annoying. I have to mentally prepare myself for the battle over the relief box every time we cruise.

Glad to hear that things are going better for you.

Dianne

Hi Linda and Halo,

This event for Roz and Horton happened a few years back, after her dear husband passed away, but she still had her first service dog Brenda. Roz was traveling to see her kids, and stopped at a rest area to walk both dogs, but one at a time. Brenda got her turn first while Horton waited in the car. When she put Brenda back in the car and took Horton out to walk around a woman came up behind her and knocked her down. Then this criminal tried to yank Horton's leash out of Roz's hand. Roz held on to Horton for dear life, and some other folks who witnessed the attack came to assist. The woman finally gave up and got into a vehicle and left.

Can you imagine anyone being so brazen as to try to steal a person's service dog? Horton was wearing his vest that clearly showed he is a service dog. So now, we all get a bit worried when Roz hits the highway to go up the coast.

I know Roz will give you more particulars when she gets back online. (Didn't want to leave you dangling.) :)

Beckie

Oh my. I didn't expect that. How horrible.

Linda and Halo

Hey Folks - getting ready to fly out to Portugal later today - we are meeting up with our daughter Jill who teaches school in Bangladesh...she wanted to spend her summer break in Portugal so her and her mom are going to stay for six weeks! I only get to stay for 10 days but oh well...just gonna be me and my dog Lucy for the summer.

Keith

Hello everyone! I feel like I know all of you because I have read literally the entire thread over the last several months as if it were a novel. I was directed over from the Celebrity thread about vets on board. It has been really interesting to read of all of your adventures on cruises and out in the world. I do not have a service dog though I will have to share with you a picture of my dog Yardley. She is a rescue and a puppy mill "accident" as she is a mixed breed and is missing a foot (we are unsure if it was congenital or an accident when she was young). She's a very beautiful, sweet, and loving dog. As for myself, I am a 27 year old teaching assistant, currently working on my Master's in Special education to work with middle school aged kids.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is this: As I have read through the thread, I have noticed a need for a central place to go to look up the travel requirements for different countries. APHIS has the requirements for *most* countries but not all. So, I created this: Service Dog Requirements by Country

This is a document that has general information about the entry requirements for each country. It is not complete but I have tried to start with the most popular cruising destinations first. This document does assume that you are coming from the US as most I have seen on this thread are. I have listed the vaccination, testing, and microchip requirements as well as whether an import permit is required (and a link to the application if possible), whether any fees are assessed, and whether a USDA endorsement is required. I have also included links to each country's "Pet Travel" page since they have more information on requirements, a government page where possible, and the APHIS page where possible.

Obviously, this is not a substitute for consulting with a USDA certified vet but I do hope that it can be a help as a quick reference for the requirements for different ports when trying to decide on a cruise itinerary. If you see anything that is incorrect or think of something else that would be helpful to add, please let me know!

~Caitlin

Hello everyone! I feel like I know all of you because I have read literally the entire thread over the last several months as if it were a novel. I was directed over from the Celebrity thread about vets on board. It has been really interesting to read of all of your adventures on cruises and out in the world. I do not have a service dog though I will have to share with you a picture of my dog Yardley. She is a rescue and a puppy mill "accident" as she is a mixed breed and is missing a foot (we are unsure if it was congenital or an accident when she was young). She's a very beautiful, sweet, and loving dog. As for myself, I am a 27 year old teaching assistant, currently working on my Master's in Special education to work with middle school aged kids.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is this: As I have read through the thread, I have noticed a need for a central place to go to look up the travel requirements for different countries. APHIS has the requirements for *most* countries but not all. So, I created this: Service Dog Requirements by Country

This is a document that has general information about the entry requirements for each country. It is not complete but I have tried to start with the most popular cruising destinations first. This document does assume that you are coming from the US as most I have seen on this thread are. I have listed the vaccination, testing, and microchip requirements as well as whether an import permit is required (and a link to the application if possible), whether any fees are assessed, and whether a USDA endorsement is required. I have also included links to each country's "Pet Travel" page since they have more information on requirements, a government page where possible, and the APHIS page where possible.

Obviously, this is not a substitute for consulting with a USDA certified vet but I do hope that it can be a help as a quick reference for the requirements for different ports when trying to decide on a cruise itinerary. If you see anything that is incorrect or think of something else that would be helpful to add, please let me know!

~Caitlin

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

Wanting to go to Nachi cocum in cozumel which is a day pass to a resort. Do you think I'll have problems with them accepting my son's service dog? I know mexico does not have laws protecting people with service dogs so was not sure if we'd be denied access. Please help with any experience

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

... I do hope that it can be a help as a quick reference for the requirements for different ports when trying to decide on a cruise itinerary. If you see anything that is incorrect or think of something else that would be helpful to add, please let me know!

~Caitlin

Caitlin, thanks so much for contributing this to the Service Dog thread.

I think I speak for most of the folks when I encourage you to post a photo of your pooch. One lesson I've learned from a lifetime of dog ownership is that dogs don't have the human characteristic of feeling sorry for themselves.

If any of the participants in this thread can add anything to this listing please post the info to this thread.

Caitlin, thanks so much for contributing this to the Service Dog thread.

I think I speak for most of the folks when I encourage you to post a photo of your pooch. One lesson I've learned from a lifetime of dog ownership is that dogs don't have the human characteristic of feeling sorry for themselves.

If any of the participants in this thread can add anything to this listing please post the info to this thread.

Oh there will be lots of adorable doggie pictures when I get them downloaded from my phone. She is a very special girl and gets around almost as well as a dog with four legs. You should see her chase after squirrels in the backyard! We are fairly sure she has a history of abuse at some point in her life based on her initial fear of men (particularly those wearing hoods) and the fact that she will turn tail and run if you have a long cylindrical object in your hand (such as a rolled up magazine). In the past two years that we've had her, though, she has really come out of her shy shell!

Greetings, all!

My hubby and I are experienced cruisers, and going on our next in a couple of months. Things that are new - this is our first trip to Alaska, and our first trip with a service dog. I'm kind of terrified. Been reading the boards, trying to educate myself, and I've been in touch with the accessibility office and filled out all of their paperwork. But my guy is newly released from training, and I feel like we still have so much to learn together, I'm very nervous about this trip. It's been planned for a long time, and my options are to take him, or leave him for 2 weeks when we are just getting into the swing of things. Any suggestions from the forum to make this trip less stressful? We are flying into Vancouver from Texas, so we will have to negotiate airlines, customs, and the boarding process for the ship. I've made a fairly comprehensive list of the items I need to pack for him, but feel like there is so much I'm missing. Help!

Val

~Caitlin

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this! The only thing that I would add is that the requirements can change and always double check everything several times before your trip.

Your dog sounds like a real sweetheart.

Dianne

Greetings, all!

My hubby and I are experienced cruisers, and going on our next in a couple of months. Things that are new - this is our first trip to Alaska, and our first trip with a service dog. I'm kind of terrified. Been reading the boards, trying to educate myself, and I've been in touch with the accessibility office and filled out all of their paperwork.

Val

We all have been nervous about the first cruise, airline trip, etc. with our service dog. Once you have done it, you will feel like a pro. Alaska/Canada is a great trip to start with because the requirements are so easy and you will be covered by the ADA in the US Ports. British Columbia now has similar laws to the ADA regarding service dogs so access won't be a problem. Going through Customs is easy - in my experience they don't even seem to care about the dog. Just make sure to do your research ahead of time (e.g. - know where the relief area at the airport is located).

Dianne

We all have been nervous about the first cruise, airline trip, etc. with our service dog. Once you have done it, you will feel like a pro. Alaska/Canada is a great trip to start with because the requirements are so easy and you will be covered by the ADA in the US Ports. British Columbia now has similar laws to the ADA regarding service dogs so access won't be a problem. Going through Customs is easy - in my experience they don't even seem to care about the dog. Just make sure to do your research ahead of time (e.g. - know where the relief area at the airport is located).

Dianne

I haven't braved a cruise with Halo yet. But I was so nervous about his first flight, he is so well trained, even the flight attendants didn't know he was on the plane until we got off. And he is a BIG boy. He was that good and quiet, so easy.

Linda and Halo

Hi everyone! My name is Cindy and I have recently been blessed with a 4 month old Great Dane puppy that is being trained as my service dog. I have Lupus and got a scratch on my left leg back in 1998. The next morning the "scratch" covered most of my lower leg and was excruciatingly painful. That day my life changed forever. I had an extremely aggressive form of necrotizing fasciitis. I also got MRSA from the hospital during one of my 47 surgeries. To make matters worse, the strep infection was resistant to all but two antibiotics, both of which are known to destroy hearing.

I am beyond grateful to be alive. I survived toxic shock syndrome from the strep infection and still have reoccurring MRSA outbreaks at least once every 2 years. I also lost 90% of my hearing.

My new puppy gives me so much hope! I use forearm crutches to walk, and when my Lupus is in a bad flare, I need a wheelchair. Saxon will be trained as a mobility service dog as well as a hearing alert dog. So far his training is coming along beautifully and he is showing great promise. [emoji4]

My family (husband, myself, and our 3 daughters) are going on a cruise this coming January on the Breeze, but I'm not sure if Saxon will be ready by then. He should be ready when we go on our Journeys (Freedom) cruise on 1/19/19 though!

I am still trying to catch up on all the posts, but I just wanted to introduce myself and Saxon. I have wanted a service dog for several years and am so excited! We have many months of training but I'm looking forward to every session.

ffa5808be478086376d0a93e7d6d0880.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Folks - getting ready to fly out to Portugal later today - we are meeting up with our daughter Jill who teaches school in Bangladesh...she wanted to spend her summer break in Portugal so her and her mom are going to stay for six weeks! I only get to stay for 10 days but oh well...just gonna be me and my dog Lucy for the summer.

Keith

Hi Keith

Welcome to our side of that great big pond! Have a wonderful time in Portugal!

As Her Majesty Aunty Roz is away, may I, in her absence and as a Scottish Princess ;), extend another huge big warm welcome to Caitlin (brilliant work, thank you), Val and her "new guy" and to Cindy and Saxon! We do have a "Mayor of Lurkerville" who steps into the breach when H.M. is away, but she's sometimes asleep on duty! Ha ha ha! Now I'll be in trouble! :halo:

As Host Walt has said we love the photos of the dogs. Cindy thank you for posting the photo of Saxon he is adorable and I imagine will be a huge handsome chap.

Greetings, all!

My hubby and I are experienced cruisers, and going on our next in a couple of months. Things that are new - this is our first trip to Alaska, and our first trip with a service dog. I'm kind of terrified. Been reading the boards, trying to educate myself, and I've been in touch with the accessibility office and filled out all of their paperwork. But my guy is newly released from training, and I feel like we still have so much to learn together, I'm very nervous about this trip. It's been planned for a long time, and my options are to take him, or leave him for 2 weeks when we are just getting into the swing of things. Any suggestions from the forum to make this trip less stressful? We are flying into Vancouver from Texas, so we will have to negotiate airlines, customs, and the boarding process for the ship. I've made a fairly comprehensive list of the items I need to pack for him, but feel like there is so much I'm missing. Help!

Val

Val, Welcome! I'm sure you and your new pup will be fine on the cruise. You two are just getting to know each other and it would be a shame to leave the dog for 2 weeks. I'm sure you will have a great time!

Cindy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Not sure which Mayor of Lurkerville Ms. Scottish Princess or Pond Princess was talking about. I am one of the "Red headed Step children" that has been around since dirt. I do not have a service dog, but feel like the step-servicedog mommy to all on here.

Welcome to all the newcomers on behave of HM and all the pee-ons (bahahaaha) and the pictures, we always need pictures! Saxon is a cutie pie.

Sister Cindy (Rangeley) and I have not been on a roll in a long time. Wouldn't want momma HM to miss out on it, though. Will have to wait for her to return.

Caitlin, you are rockin' it! That should be so much easier for peeps to see at a glance what they need and then they can always look it up to see if any changes. :hearteyes:

Well, I am off (as most of you know) trundling off to finish chores. Can't rely on Jezzy Lou and Leanne Emily to do it. Lazy furkids! Everyone have a great day and weekend! It is Fryday again and us-ins' in Arizona are going to do just that "FRY" :fever:

Welcome Cindy and Saxon. I am partial to great Danes. Saxon is gorgeous. I have a Great Dane/lab, he pretty much looks like a lab, but has the long legs, jowls, tail and laziness of a GD. He is my mobility dog.

Linda and Halo

Hi everyone! My name is Cindy and I have recently been blessed with a 4 month old Great Dane puppy that is being trained as my service dog. I have Lupus and got a scratch on my left leg back in 1998. The next morning the "scratch" covered most of my lower leg and was excruciatingly painful. That day my life changed forever. I had an extremely aggressive form of necrotizing fasciitis. I also got MRSA from the hospital during one of my 47 surgeries. To make matters worse, the strep infection was resistant to all but two antibiotics, both of which are known to destroy hearing.

I am beyond grateful to be alive. I survived toxic shock syndrome from the strep infection and still have reoccurring MRSA outbreaks at least once every 2 years. I also lost 90% of my hearing.

My new puppy gives me so much hope! I use forearm crutches to walk, and when my Lupus is in a bad flare, I need a wheelchair. Saxon will be trained as a mobility service dog as well as a hearing alert dog. So far his training is coming along beautifully and he is showing great promise. [emoji4]

My family (husband, myself, and our 3 daughters) are going on a cruise this coming January on the Breeze, but I'm not sure if Saxon will be ready by then. He should be ready when we go on our Journeys (Freedom) cruise on 1/19/19 though!

I am still trying to catch up on all the posts, but I just wanted to introduce myself and Saxon. I have wanted a service dog for several years and am so excited! We have many months of training but I'm looking forward to every session.

Cindy, as the Mayor of Lurkerville I wholeheartedly welcome you to this forum. As soon as Roz gets back in town she will give you a proper welcome as the original thread starter.

You are going to have such a wonderful life with your new eyes, ears, and legs in Great Dane form! The happiest day of my daughter's life was match day when Gibson came to be her service dog. So we share your joy! We have never cruised with Gibson because of mitochondrial disease sapping nearly all of my daughter's energy. No advice on cruising with a service dog from Kansas City. :D There are so many folks on this forum who do have the privilege, they will always share experiences from every angle.

At any rate, so glad you have joined the service dog family; and this thread.

Thanks,

Beckie

Saxon is a cutie pie. Congratulations on plunging into the world of service dogs. I sometimes wonder why I waited so long, but then I would not have my Henri.

Dianne