Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, we're going to Depoe Bay today!

What!!!!! Darn......so close and yet so far!!!! :')

I hope the "Sea Witch" restaurant is still there. The clam chowder [in a bread bowl] makes the ones in San Francisco look and taste like fakes. If they're still around, have a few for me!!!! :D

We actually put money down on a home overlooking the Oregon Coast and then our daughter gave birth to our first grandchild [the light of both our lives] and, well, the deposit needed to be returned. Depoe Bay will always be a part of my heart & soul. Have a wonderful time while your there. It's really fun to watch the "angry" Oregon Coast actually sweep over Highway 101 [which it did everyday, jut for us!]

Enjoy the sights!

Happy weekend everyone. :hearteyes:

I'm off to Eugene, Oregon, next Friday to watch my Granddaughter graduate from High School. Take care, everyone ♥

I have a good friend that lives there! We knew each other when I lived in Sedona, AZ. She actually was my landlord. I hear Eugene is beautiful.

If anyone is interested in the Service Dog cruise we are doing out of Port Canaveral 12/9/18 you can get in touch with me. Can't do PM's on here so the best I can do is try and space out my email address? h o l l y s u m n e r .ff @ g m a i l . com (close up spaces) That's not my private email address.

I have a good friend that lives there! We knew each other when I lived in Sedona, AZ. She actually was my landlord. I hear Eugene is beautiful.

It is a charming, lovely smallish/big city. My children have flourished there. My daughter owns LBass Cosmetics in downtown Eugene and they live up in the mountains, where, if it gets cold enough it snows every day.

You can't pump your own gas in Oregon. In order to provide jobs for this "poor" state the Governor declared that gas stations will open up job opportunities its a pleasure to drive in and let someone else do the work. I even like to tip them, it feels so good!

If anyone is interested in the Service Dog cruise we are doing out of Port Canaveral 12/9/18 you can get in touch with me. Can't do PM's on here so the best I can do is try and space out my email address? h o l l y s u m n e r .ff @ g m a i l . com (close up spaces) That's not my private email address.

Holly, this sounds like so much fun. Horton and I will be doing a 15 day Hawaii cruise, leaving Long Beach on December 2nd. My daughter will be going with me. I bought her a Ukulele for her birthday and we're going to go to the Ukulele classes while onboard. Gotta do something on those sea days!

I want to wish everyone a happy weekend [i'll be on the road tomorrow]. Horton and I will be celebrating with our children. I'll talk to you upon my return. Probably on or around the 19th. Take care of one another ♥

I'll be visiting the rest area in Medford, Oregon where the woman tried to steal my Horton from me. I do hold his leash a bit tighter these days, as should all of you [with your own dogs, of course!] ;)

I want to wish everyone a happy weekend [i'll be on the road tomorrow]. Horton and I will be celebrating with our children. I'll talk to you upon my return. Probably on or around the 19th. Take care of one another ♥

I'll be visiting the rest area in Medford, Oregon where the woman tried to steal my Horton from me. I do hold his leash a bit tighter these days, as should all of you [with your own dogs, of course!] ;)

Can you tell me about the lady trying to steal Horton?

Linda and Halo

Roz and Horton, have a safe trip and a wonderful time with your family. It all sounds like a wonderful journey and although we have not been to Oregon we have been north of there (Seattle area before we went to Alaska) and it was stunningly beautiful. Horton, you be a good boy and look after your Mum and do not go off with any strangers! Looking forward to hearing all your news when you get back! I would say "Bon Voyage" but will say "Safe Road Trip"! :*:D

Hi All,

I've missed all of you. Had alot going on in the past few months. Some good, mostly bad. Things are getting back to normal so I hope to get caught up with the goings-on​ in here. Attaching a recent pic of the boy.

Cindy 7bd7818af2cefe7aa0e8a81c2a7a26d5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I adore this boy .... He is so like our old chap with his grey chin, it's the eyes full of love .... Mind you like Max, Wexler is probably hoping there is a biscuit in his future for sitting so bonnie. I call it "I love you Mum but hurry up with that treat as I haven't been fed for days look!"

Hope all is well with you and yours now :)

Safe travels Roz and Horton.

Dianne

Holly, this sounds like so much fun. Horton and I will be doing a 15 day Hawaii cruise, leaving Long Beach on December 2nd. My daughter will be going with me. I bought her a Ukulele for her birthday and we're going to go to the Ukulele classes while onboard. Gotta do something on those sea days!

That sounds like a blast! Someday I'd like to take Jagger on a longer cruise. :)

Safe travels Roz. Don't let Horton talk to any strangers this trip!

We are cruising September 2 with my service dog Buddy - it is his 2nd cruise. We are sailing with Norwegian. This time we are heading to Canada. I have called and talked with the Canadian Inspectors on what they need for Buddy to get off the ship (only his service dog certification and Rabies certification), NCL is also asking for the USDA Certificate. Has anyone else traveled to Canada with their service dog? I would like an idea of what I really need to do.

Also, our last cruise with them had a potty box with sand - which didn't go over very well with Buddy......any other suggestions.

Buddy's Mama

Hi All,

I've missed all of you. Had alot going on in the past few months. Some good, mostly bad. Things are getting back to normal so I hope to get caught up with the goings-on​ in here. Attaching a recent pic of the boy.

Cindy 7bd7818af2cefe7aa0e8a81c2a7a26d5.jpg

Cindy, thank you for posting a current photo of Wexler! We have been worrying about you. Please tell us if there is anything we can do for you. Kansas City is only half way across the country, so not too far away to lend a hand. Hope things will get better for you.

Sincerely,

Beckie

We are cruising September 2 with my service dog Buddy - it is his 2nd cruise. We are sailing with Norwegian. This time we are heading to Canada. I have called and talked with the Canadian Inspectors on what they need for Buddy to get off the ship (only his service dog certification and Rabies certification)' date=' NCL is also asking for the USDA Certificate. Has anyone else traveled to Canada with their service dog? I would like an idea of what I really need to do.

Also, our last cruise with them had a potty box with sand - which didn't go over very well with Buddy......any other suggestions.

Buddy's Mama[/quote']

We just returned from Alaska and Canada. For a service dog, all you need for Canada is a rabies certificate. I went ahead and had my Vet fill out a health certificate too (Aphis Form 7001) just to have all the bases covered (no need to have it endorsed by the USDA).

Talk to NCL's special needs department before you leave and tell them what kind of fill you want for the relief box (sand is really unacceptable and such a mess for them too). If you get on the ship and find that the fill is not acceptable, ask to speak with the Hotel Director to get them to replace it with what you need for your dog. We have had issues with the relief box, but by being polite and not taking no for an answer we have been able to get everything resolved to our satisfaction.

Dianne

Hi, Buddy's Mama. I did the same thing Dianne did - had my USDA Vet give me a form 7001 (didn't have it endorsed by the state office) and took that along with rabies. Easy!

It may be "overachieving" but I always bring along a copy of her ID card from Dogs for the Deaf, her spay certificate, other shot records, microchip info, flea & tick treatment info, and heartworm info. It can't hurt.

I adore this boy .... He is so like our old chap with his grey chin, it's the eyes full of love .... Mind you like Max, Wexler is probably hoping there is a biscuit in his future for sitting so bonnie. I call it "I love you Mum but hurry up with that treat as I haven't been fed for days look!"

Hope all is well with you and yours now :)

That's exactly what he's looking for!!

Cindy, thank you for posting a current photo of Wexler! We have been worrying about you. Please tell us if there is anything we can do for you. Kansas City is only half way across the country, so not too far away to lend a hand. Hope things will get better for you.

Sincerely,

Beckie

Thanks Beckie! Things are going good now. But I'll keep you in mind if anything else comes up. [emoji3]

Mornin' all;

Hope Roz and Horty are having a good time with the family.

Cindy: Did not see your post. Hope everything is on the up swing. Sometimes, I really don't like what life throws at us. Hugs pawrayers.

Have a great weekend everypawdy.

Thanks Nancy fancy pants!

We just returned from Alaska and Canada. For a service dog, all you need for Canada is a rabies certificate. I went ahead and had my Vet fill out a health certificate too (Aphis Form 7001) just to have all the bases covered (no need to have it endorsed by the USDA).

Talk to NCL's special needs department before you leave and tell them what kind of fill you want for the relief box (sand is really unacceptable and such a mess for them too). If you get on the ship and find that the fill is not acceptable, ask to speak with the Hotel Director to get them to replace it with what you need for your dog. We have had issues with the relief box, but by being polite and not taking no for an answer we have been able to get everything resolved to our satisfaction.

Dianne

We have cruised twice with NCL and have had nothing but trouble with the potty box. The first time we had a small box and the put some kind of cotton hampster bedding in it. He didn't like it. They also put in in a crew area where the door weighed 100 lbs. Not suitable for someone in a wheelchair. John could never take him to potty alone.

So last January we went again. Of course we have requested sod both times. We got an aft balcony so we could put the box out there. Again they put it in the same crew area and it was the size of a plastic cake size Tupperware box. The dog is 72 lbs. Again no sod!! They told us it was a law they couldn't put it on the balcony. Hotel director told us that was not true. So finally they put it on the balcony with that fake grass in it. Wexler absolutely hates the fake grass. They also had compressed wood shavings. Of course Wex doesn't like that either but we actually got him to potty. He didn't go for the first 2 days.

So of course we booked another cruise on the same ship this year. Third time's a charm right? I have already found some doggy sod place in Florida near the port and I'm going to contact them and see if we can have some sod delivered. I'll pay for it just so he can have what he needs.

So for the person who was talking about sand in the box, good luck. Why do they ask us to fill out the form and ask what we want and then completely ignored it?

Sorry for babbling on.

Cindy

Can you tell me about the lady trying to steal Horton?

Linda and Halo

Hi Linda and Halo,

This event for Roz and Horton happened a few years back, after her dear husband passed away, but she still had her first service dog Brenda. Roz was traveling to see her kids, and stopped at a rest area to walk both dogs, but one at a time. Brenda got her turn first while Horton waited in the car. When she put Brenda back in the car and took Horton out to walk around a woman came up behind her and knocked her down. Then this criminal tried to yank Horton's leash out of Roz's hand. Roz held on to Horton for dear life, and some other folks who witnessed the attack came to assist. The woman finally gave up and got into a vehicle and left.

Can you imagine anyone being so brazen as to try to steal a person's service dog? Horton was wearing his vest that clearly showed he is a service dog. So now, we all get a bit worried when Roz hits the highway to go up the coast.

I know Roz will give you more particulars when she gets back online. (Didn't want to leave you dangling.) :)

Beckie