Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

For precisely 32 seconds, then he thinks I've put them on for him to take off and tear-up ASAP!

Horton is a 2 year old bad boy in a 8 year old dog's body!!!!!

Now you are getting the heat. Keep it there! We have been in the 70s for two weeks. It's heaven!!! Wexler absolutely hates the heat! I don't know how some dogs actually wear those doggie shoes. Most dogs do not like their paws touched.

They put in new floors in our apt and they are slippery. We had rug before. Wexler has had a really hard time slipping and sliding around. I've got rugs all over the apt where he needs them the most. Last time at the groomer I had her cut the hair on the bottom of his paws hoping it would help him get more grip. It seemed to work. Has anyone ever done this before? His hair has always been very long but I've never seen a reason to cut it before.

I can't believe Horton is 8!!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Now you are getting the heat. Keep it there! We have been in the 70s for two weeks. It's heaven!!! Wexler absolutely hates the heat! I don't know how some dogs actually wear those doggie shoes. Most dogs do not like their paws touched.

They put in new floors in our apt and they are slippery. We had rug before. Wexler has had a really hard time slipping and sliding around. I've got rugs all over the apt where he needs them the most. Last time at the groomer I had her cut the hair on the bottom of his paws hoping it would help him get more grip. It seemed to work. Has anyone ever done this before? His hair has always been very long but I've never seen a reason to cut it before.

Horton can grow another dog on his paws. The hair is so long and full. I was told to keep it trimmed especially if he's using escalator's [part of his training at CCI.] He's a genius at escalator's.....me, not so much!

I know, I can't believe how quickly he became 8 years old. His muzzle is not quite as gray as Wexy's but his chin is getting there.

70 degrees! I can't remember when we had weather lower than 90 degrees. Our weather has been hot since March and this August has been absolutely unbearable [it's 109 today]!!!!! Seriously, no one would be able to work outdoors for too long, it's brutal!!!! :eek: Although, maybe you could call this a cooling trend....we were 112 yesterday!

We have hardwood floors and Henri slips if the hair in her paws gets too long. We have a trimmer (I think we got it at petsmart or petco) that we use on her paws. It doesn't do as good of a job as the groomer, but it does help.

It's supposed to be 114 here in Northern California tomorrow.

Dianne

Interesting. I started putting booties on Scooter at about 3 months, for just a few minutes at a time and working up to longer. He will wear them for a long while at a time now. I would not say he likes them, but he doesn't pull them off.

I have used the disposable rubber ones, some cheap ones from Petsmart, and we have a hard sole pair. When we were at a workshop in Orlando in July, I put them on him to go outside. The other attendees could not believe he would wear them, but also could not believe how he behaved.

We still have some uos and downs in behavior - mainly him wanting to lead or watch a cat or rabbit, but he is doing very well. He won't be 2 until December.

Now if I could just get him to potty in the box I built! That is probably the project for the three day weekend starting tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We have hardwood floors and Henri slips if the hair in her paws gets too long. We have a trimmer (I think we got it at petsmart or petco) that we use on her paws. It doesn't do as good of a job as the groomer, but it does help.

It's supposed to be 114 here in Northern California tomorrow.

Dianne

Dianne, stay cool :cool:

Interesting. I started putting booties on Scooter at about 3 months, for just a few minutes at a time and working up to longer. He will wear them for a long while at a time now. I would not say he likes them, but he doesn't pull them off.

I have used the disposable rubber ones, some cheap ones from Petsmart, and we have a hard sole pair. When we were at a workshop in Orlando in July, I put them on him to go outside. The other attendees could not believe he would wear them, but also could not believe how he behaved.

We still have some uos and downs in behavior - mainly him wanting to lead or watch a cat or rabbit, but he is doing very well. He won't be 2 until December.

Now if I could just get him to potty in the box I built! That is probably the project for the three day weekend starting tomorrow afternoon.

Barb, good luck with the box. Once they get the idea, it's so brilliant and easy to transfer using the box just about anywhere.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.......It was smoky, hot and scary where I live.

From my balcony the La Tuna brush fire started on Friday and by Saturday it was a raging inferno and would turn into one of the largest fires in L.A. history. It took some magnificent hillsides, lots of vegetation and older ranch homes. It killed off many deer and other wild life. The area has mostly horse, goat, chicken and other animal farms. I know lots of animals were lost and that is just heartbreaking. The fires threatened some newer, less rugged, beautiful neighborhoods, but the "super-scoopers" [anti-fire aircraft] and "on-land" firemen kept the flames from devouring most of these neighborhoods.. The air was full of smoke and ash. There was no way that any of the surrounding areas, such as where I live, could survive without keeping our air conditioning running day & night.

Thank goodness Horty and I live enough distance away that the fire was only something we could view and not be terribly affected by.

My heart goes out to the folks who lost their homes and their beloved animals. So sad!

Okay, Testing Gods, we've had enough. Our senses and emotions have been stirred to the end of our limits.

With all the fires in the surrounding states and several in Idaho, we are covered in smoke also. I typically don't run the ac during the day, but there is no way I can stand opening up the house, it smells so bad out there. I sure hope it blows out by Saturday. My brother in law is getting married in our backyard on Saturday.

I have a spinal tap today, a bit nervous. I have heard it isn't terrible, but I am still nervous about it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Linda and Halo

With all the fires in the surrounding states and several in Idaho, we are covered in smoke also. I typically don't run the ac during the day, but there is no way I can stand opening up the house, it smells so bad out there. I sure hope it blows out by Saturday. My brother in law is getting married in our backyard on Saturday.

I have a spinal tap today, a bit nervous. I have heard it isn't terrible, but I am still nervous about it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Linda and Halo

Linda, I want to wish you lots of luck and ease with your test today. Before you know it, it will be over and you can take a deep breath.

I hope the air, in your area, becomes better for all.

La Tuna fire - Two positive things to note; we had a brief but heavy rain right in the fire area that helped with the firefighting and brought welcome humidity/heat relief for the firefighters.

Roz didn't mention it but the smoke smell filled the entire San Fernando Valley as far south as the Santa Monica mountains.

Barb, good luck with the box. Once they get the idea, it's so brilliant and easy to transfer using the box just about anywhere.
Silly Scooter. He went in the designated spot a couple of times, but he seems to have the attitude of "Why should I go there, when there is all this beautiful grass with the smells of cats, rabbits and squirrels just a foot away."

Next attempt, move the box so it is on concrete and go out the back door instead of the usual door. Naturally, it is the door that sticks, where the feral cats like to sun, and without a ramp if I'm having a bad day and need it.

Silly Scooter. He went in the designated spot a couple of times, but he seems to have the attitude of "Why should I go there, when there is all this beautiful grass with the smells of cats, rabbits and squirrels just a foot away."

Next attempt, move the box so it is on concrete and go out the back door instead of the usual door. Naturally, it is the door that sticks, where the feral cats like to sun, and without a ramp if I'm having a bad day and need it.

Barb, you are so right. Once our dogs have had the wonderful smells of grass growing and all sorts of critters leaving their smells on it, they don't want to use the box.

Moving it to a less desirable area, where the smells are of the box only and he's being walked over it with the proper "command", it will all come easy to him.

Don't give up. When we're traveling and the choices become less and less glorious for them, going potty anywhere will become a breeze.

We have had a lot of smoke here too in Northern California from several fires including the fire near Yosemite. The air quality is terrible.

There are more hurricanes coming too. I wish everyone well in Florida and in the path of Irma.

Dianne

Silly Scooter.

Of course every dog is different, but lots of treats for using the box would work like a charm for Henri.

We have a box in the backyard that she uses all of the time - she doesn't understand why visiting dogs get to use the lawn!!

Dianne

Well those that told me the spinal tap wasn't bad, where either lying or have a higher pain tolerance. And I thought my tolerance was high. That was painful and still painful. May be an early night for me.

Along with all the fires in and around Idaho, eastern Idaho has had 70+ earthquakes over the last 3 days. For those of you in California, they probably aren't much at 3.5-5.4's, but for those of us who have never experienced them, they are scary. My daughter goes to college close to where they are happening.

Linda and Halo

Of course every dog is different, but lots of treats for using the box would work like a charm for Henri.

We have a box in the backyard that she uses all of the time - she doesn't understand why visiting dogs get to use the lawn!!

Dianne

I tried lots of treats. He steps into the box and sniffs.

We will get there.

I have trips for work to New Jersey, flying into Newark, and San Diego in the upcoming months. Hoping to get him box trained by then.

On the plus side, if no grass is available he will go on mulch or rocks no issue. He is just spoiled because we are in rural MO with lots of grass and dirt.

Sometimes I bemoan our Scottish weather but wow nothing like you are having!

Please all stay safe and keep our precious animals safe too. Watching news of Houston is heart breaking - my DH works for a company based there but they're taking care of one another - "come and stay with us" was the immediate response when a colleague found out another was flooded out and then they all went and helped sort his house out when they could get there. Great folks.

To All our friends in Florida - we are thinking about you - stay safe and i know you'll be very busy but please let us know you're safe when you can.

Well those that told me the spinal tap wasn't bad, where either lying or have a higher pain tolerance. And I thought my tolerance was high. That was painful and still painful. May be an early night for me.

Along with all the fires in and around Idaho, eastern Idaho has had 70+ earthquakes over the last 3 days. For those of you in California, they probably aren't much at 3.5-5.4's, but for those of us who have never experienced them, they are scary. My daughter goes to college close to where they are happening.

Linda and Halo

Oh! No! I hope you're feeling a little better today. Here we are in the year 2017 and we're still doing such barbaric procedures. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! :*

Linda and Halo

Earthquakes are truly natures "wake-up-call!" No matter big or small, they're scary!!!!

I have cruised out of Florida many times, never out of Galveston or other east coast ports. I know lots of folks are concerned about their cruises scheduled to leave out of Florida and the east this week.

My first thoughts are that EVERYONE be safe and I know that the cruising industry wants the same. They're a huge business and want to remain solvent so it's going to be a "wait-and-see" what's going to happen in the next few months. I think we will see some very bizarre pricing and incentives to cruise from the industry. Which, for those of us who are "hooked" on this form of travel may find very tempting and interesting!

Out of all this mayhem that is wreaking havoc on us may come some fabulous travel deals!!!!

Sometimes I bemoan our Scottish weather but wow nothing like you are having!

Please all stay safe and keep our precious animals safe too. Watching news of Houston is heart breaking - my DH works for a company based there but they're taking care of one another - "come and stay with us" was the immediate response when a colleague found out another was flooded out and then they all went and helped sort his house out when they could get there. Great folks.

To All our friends in Florida - we are thinking about you - stay safe and i know you'll be very busy but please let us know you're safe when you can.

It seems there's been one thing after another here in the states and it's not just one state, it's all over.

The fire, smoke and ash, where I live, has dissipated and the air is much cleaner and safer to breathe. My car is going to get a good bath this afternoon.

The heat has come down to 90 degrees instead of 112 and it does feel much better.

My heart goes out to the many hundreds of folks who have been left homeless and struggling to get back to some normalcy in their lives.

I love and have so much respect for all the people who rescued and are taking care of so many fur-babies who were left without families to love and care for them. It's truly a heartbreaker!

Hi. We just took our service dog on her first cruise. We went to Alaska. She is a service dog for my wife and was very well accepted on Radiance of the Seas. She didn't like the relief box but we brought pads which she used. We had not cruised since 2009 because of my wife's condition and we're looking forward to going again. We frequently travel to Mexico so we are aware of the requirements for Gabby to get into the country. Has anyone cruised to any other foreign ports and gone ashore with your service dog? Any information will be appreciated.