Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi. We just took our service dog on her first cruise. We went to Alaska. She is a service dog for my wife and was very well accepted on Radiance of the Seas. She didn't like the relief box but we brought pads which she used. We had not cruised since 2009 because of my wife's condition and we're looking forward to going again. We frequently travel to Mexico so we are aware of the requirements for Gabby to get into the country. Has anyone cruised to any other foreign ports and gone ashore with your service dog? Any information will be appreciated.

Welcome, it sounds like you had a great time with "Gabby" onboard RCCL. That darn potty box can or can not be an issue with our dogs. We ALL strongly suggest that if you plan on continuing cruising with your dog that you do some "potty-box" training at home. I have my dog use a "box" on my patio, at home and a "box" in underground garage at work,

I have had two Service Dogs since 2002 and my first dog completed 15 cruises to Panama, Hawaii, Brazil, Mexico, Alaska, Canada and she flew to; Paris, Switzerland and we drove to Italy and Germany. My second dog will be on 10 cruises this December and just finished a 19 day cruise through the Panama Canal.

There are lots of other folks who have traveled far and wide with their Service Dogs, as well. And will answer all your good questions.

Most of my travels included the Aphis 7001 Form [filled out by your Vet.]; on this form will be all the information about the dogs health and well being to travel, including all current immunizations as well as the use of HeartGuard and flea & tick abatement supplement; the serial number of your dogs microchip and any rabies titer testing [if requested.]

Some countries may ask for special forms to be faxed to them in advance of your arrival and some immigration officials may ask to see all your dogs paperwork [and they may want to keep a copy, I ALWAYS make a few extra copies, just to give away], and, some may want to examine your dog and others could care less. Some may want to meet with you very early in the morning of your arrival to their country or island and some may not. Some may even ask for money to be able to take your dog into their country. I have NEVER given money to any official yet, and I've been traveling with my SD's since 2002. I just tell them that I don't have any cash.

I always suggest that you remain calm and assertive. The ship is being hassled by their officials and will NOT allow any passengers to leave the ship until all papers are checked and cleared by them!

I plan on cruising with my dog to Hawaii in December and NO ONE HAS STRICTER GUIDELINES AND DEMANDS THAN THEY DO FOR ENTERING WITH A DOG, EVEN BY CRUISE SHIP.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Just wanted to say, wizard-of-roz, I love that this thread is still going after 10 years! I don't think I've checked in here since 2007 myself but I love that you're still providing answers!

I do remember your Avatar. It's amazing isn't it how long many of us have been together, we truly are like a "family!" We came together because of our interest in assimilating into the world of travel with our amazing dogs by our side. And, needed help from each other.

Of course, our love for dogs in general had a lot to do with us staying here!!!!

Some of us are thousands and thousands of miles away but I feel like we're so close together that if I had an issue [and, I have] that each of us would be here for each other [and, they have!]

Thanks for dropping by to say hello. Come back and visit again! :*

Everyone in Florida please stay safe...Chris I am talking to you and Bob and Raylene!...and everyone else of course.

Also everyone out west stay out of harm's way as well!

Thanks so much Keith, Dianne, Fairbourne, and all. The US is truly in a mess! My Oregon friend has told me about their disastrous wildfires.

We have been preparing several days for Irmageddon. Still deciding whether to evacuate or not. The entire state of 20 million residents is in the Cone of Uncertainty. PLUS tourists! Forecasters think it will be on the east coast from Miami up, but it could shift toward our Gulf Coast. We have the RV ready if things look dicey, and have reservations up in Georgia starting tomorrow just in case. But Georgia could also take the hit!

Meanwhile many gas stations were out of fuel yesterday ...the governor is scrambling to get more in (refineries were shut down in Harvey), further complicating things.

If we evacuate unnecessarily, we add to the clogged highways headed north, and use up fuel needed for families with children, people with medical issues, etc., and we occupy space at night that soon will become scarce. It's a real dilemma.

Will let you know what happens.

Thanks so much Keith, Dianne, Fairbourne, and all. The US is truly in a mess! My Oregon friend has told me about their disastrous wildfires.

We have been preparing several days for Irmageddon. Still deciding whether to evacuate or not. The entire state of 20 million residents is in the Cone of Uncertainty. PLUS tourists! Forecasters think it will be on the east coast from Miami up, but it could shift toward our Gulf Coast. We have the RV ready if things look dicey, and have reservations up in Georgia starting tomorrow just in case. But Georgia could also take the hit!

Meanwhile many gas stations were out of fuel yesterday ...the governor is scrambling to get more in (refineries were shut down in Harvey), further complicating things.

If we evacuate unnecessarily, we add to the clogged highways headed north, and use up fuel needed for families with children, people with medical issues, etc., and we occupy space at night that soon will become scarce. It's a real dilemma.

Chris, please keep us updated. This is such a horrible storm, it's already wreaked some catastrophic damage. Stay safe.

My daughter says that the air in Eugene, Oregon is so bad, she hates letting the dogs out to breathe it in. She lives in the mountains and I suppose all the smells are more noticeable up there.

I hope that this weather nightmare for so many in Florida and the Caribbean is over soon.

Well, just when we get hit with mother natures wrath in one way, along comes something else.......an over 8 point earthquake is overwhelmingly scary. I live in earthquake country and lived through the Northridge quake which was between 6 and 7 points and it killed many. I can't even imagine what an over 8 point quake feels like. I think it was located in a not-so-populated area. All the countries in Central America were places that we visited on our Panama Canal cruise. I haven't heard the latest news but I'm hoping for the best. Actually, I'm afraid to listen to the news anymore!

Have a safe weekend everyone. To all of you in Texas and Florida I wish you well! Take care of the fur-babies please ♥

Stay safe Chris - we will be thinking of you. Please do keep us updated when you can.

Dianne

Meanwhile many gas stations were out of fuel yesterday ...the governor is scrambling to get more in (refineries were shut down in Harvey), further complicating t

Chris - Lucy says we have lots of room here in Charlotte...and she says I should have offered earlier and she's been wanting to meet Raylene anyway; so please come stay with us if you need to; let me know and I will send you our address.

Irmageddon...priceless.

Keith

:*Awww Keith, that's so kind of you and Lucy .... I hope Chris, Bob and Raylene are safe in the north in their hotel or with you guys! Watching the news reports this morning, shocking and frightening - we have been to Florida a few times and are due back later this year. I can't imagine what all you Floridians are going through. We have some pretty awful weather here but nothing like this!

Stay safe.

Roz and Horton - I hope you've cooled down a bit now and you've been safe from earthquakes! I've just put our central heating on! :eek:

Keith, you are so special! :halo: An angel in disguise. Just logged on here for the first time in days. Thank you for that wonderful,invitation!! Raylene sends lots of slobbery kisses.

Well, we did evacuate finally in our RV. Left at 4 a.m. Saturday and had incredibly light traffic on I-75 north, 301 northeast, and I-95 north. The lightest traffic ever!! No fuel problem, either. I never procrastinate, but this time it paid off.

We stayed Saturday night with friends in Beaufort, SC. But the Low Country also has issues with storm surge and tropical storm force winds. So we drove out of the weather cone to South of the Border, which East Coast people know is a massive, tacky, 1950s roadside attraction on the SC-NC border of I-95. They have a campground in the back which we've used before. Hoping to head back home, again very early, tomorrow. Bracing for the crowds of returning evacuees.

The good news is that our neighborhood seems to have survived well. Sarasota wasn't hit too bad, mostly trees and foliage down. Thank goodness all our wonderful neighbors who,stayed behind seem to be fine.

I saw a Facebook post from one of Holly's friends that she is OK. ("Phantom's Gal," another Floridian.)

Chris, thanks for the updates. Farbourne, our fires seem to be out and there's no more smoke in the air. But, the loss of vegetation and wild life makes for a very desolate area and certainly makes the heart sad. And a lot of the residents lost animals. I hope everyone's holding up who have been affected by ALL that "Mother Nature" is throwing at them. What a horrible year!!!

In the midst of all that was going on this weekend, one news station showed a cruise ship slowly passing by a port in Florida, it was such a weird sight to see in the middle of the storm!!!! Although, I must say, it did make the news reporter and me smile ♥

Hello everyone! Looks like I've come to the longest ever thread with hopefully a ton of helpful info and kind people.

My son just got his service dog this year so although it's not our first cruise, it's our first with our service dog. I have about a million questions. But I'll just start with a few. We will be travelling on NCL Breakaway Dec 2017.

Is NCL usually good for service dogs? What are the potty boxes like? Where do they usually place them? Did you train your dog to use one ahead of time? Any tips for that?

thanks so much

Hello everyone! Looks like I've come to the longest ever thread with hopefully a ton of helpful info and kind people.

My son just got his service dog this year so although it's not our first cruise, it's our first with our service dog. I have about a million questions. But I'll just start with a few. We will be travelling on NCL Breakaway Dec 2017.

Is NCL usually good for service dogs? What are the potty boxes like? Where do they usually place them? Did you train your dog to use one ahead of time? Any tips for that?

thanks so much

Welcome: I loved taking my Service Dog onboard NCL. They had the best potty box. Made of solid wood, 6x6, lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with the best filler I've ever had on any cruise line; real, Cyprus mulch. They placed the box a few doors down the hall from our cabin [at the time we had a handicapped, inside cabin], it was located in a crew work closet. The only problem was they would forget my need for the potty box and they'd lock the crew door. It only happened twice on a 10 day cruise.....not too bad!

You will need a vet visit, within 2 weeks of travel [call your Vet and make sure that they have an Aphis 7001 form.] The Vet and you will fill it out. The Vet will sign it and attest to your dogs current immunizations, supplying all dates. Along with the serial number of your dogs microchip [must have], and the Vet will state that your dog is in good health to travel and he/she will sign the form.

The Aphis 7001 form will get you onto the ship. Along with this form you may supply any and all other paperwork about your dog; i.e. training org. paperwork, dog license, etc., etc. The more you have to prove that your dog is a legitimate SD the better. Not that it's necessary but it sure does make traveling easier. Make at least 3 copies of everything. You can give one to the registration folks at the debarkation pier [so they don't slow you down looking for a copy machine] and you can give one to any immigration official, if they ask. Keep the originals for yourself. Have them ready to show, when you disembark at various ports.

You'll be called by the Purser's Desk [Guest Services Desk] to bring your dog down to meet with Immigration at various ports [very early in the morning], this will NOT be consistent.....sometimes they call very early, giving you lots of time to get prepared, sometimes they will call very last minute and you're rushing down to a lounge to meet them in your PJ's and looking very scary [in my case!] Expect the unexpected!!!!!

Be prepared to be stopped frequently by fellow passengers who want to ask a myriad of questions about your dog. They'll want to know: WHERE DOES HE GO TO THE BATHROOM? What does he do? Can I pet him? I suggest you allow yourself lots of time to get from "here to there"......unless, you plan on staying in your cabin and not speaking to anyone, you will be stopped! These folks are curious about the Service Dog and why their own dogs are impossible to train; can't do anything; jump on everyone and will eat your shoes at any given time. You will make lots of new friends; they really want to befriend your dog and wish that you would simply let them have him!!!!

You'll love cruising with your dog......if he's anything like my dogs, they'll love cruising as much as you do!

Some great info there, thanks! The Aphis form, is the a US form? I should have mentioned I'm Canadian.

Mulch in the box sounds great, I was told it would be sand. Did you train ahead with a practice box or anything? I think I will need to. I have a poodle and they can be stubborn about where they go potty LOL

Yes, "U.S. Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals." Ask your Vet about the appropriate forms. Or, maybe you can get it online.

Speak with NCL's Special Needs Dept. and request that they NOT fill the box with sand. Mulch. real sod or artificial turf only!

I'm hoping that my next SD is a Standard Poodle or the mix between the Lab/Golden and Poodle. Wonderful Service Dogs. I'm afraid that the enormous shedding is getting to my allergies in my old age! My eyes, ears and nose are really reacting to the shedding hair.

I do suggest making a box [3x5 or bigger] filled with artificial turf, sod or mulch and practicing with your dog. It takes a few days and it's easy-peasy. My dogs prefer using a box. Horton is huge and uses a box at home, as well as work. The one at home has artificial turf on top and wood shavings underneath. The one at work is real sod and is maintained by a "potty box" company.

Sarasota wasn't hit too bad, mostly trees and foliage down. Thank goodness all our wonderful neighbors who,stayed behind seem to be fine.

I saw a Facebook post from one of Holly's friends that she is OK. ("Phantom's Gal," another Floridian.)

Chris so glad to hear that you are okay and Holly too. Safe travels home.

Dianne

Some great info there, thanks! The Aphis form, is the a US form? I should have mentioned I'm Canadian.

Mulch in the box sounds great, I was told it would be sand. Did you train ahead with a practice box or anything? I think I will need to. I have a poodle and they can be stubborn about where they go potty LOL

If you are from Canada you should look at the requirements of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They have a different International Health Certificate than the US version. This website looks like it is a good place to start your research:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/exports/live-animals/health-certificates/pets/eng/1321265624789/1321281361100

If it were me, I would contact NCL and tell them that sand will not work for your dog (it is a huge mess and will be tracked all over). I would definitely practice with your dog ahead of time. My dog has a box in our backyard that she always uses so its no big deal and she is trained to go on any surface.

Dianne

If you are from Canada you should look at the requirements of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They have a different International Health Certificate than the US version. This website looks like it is a good place to start your research:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/exports/live-animals/health-certificates/pets/eng/1321265624789/1321281361100

If it were me, I would contact NCL and tell them that sand will not work for your dog (it is a huge mess and will be tracked all over). I would definitely practice with your dog ahead of time. My dog has a box in our backyard that she always uses so its no big deal and she is trained to go on any surface.

Dianne

Thank you, Dianne.

Has anyone traveled to Australia with a service dog? Any tips?

Linda and Halo

This is an extremely long flight - 13-15 hours depending on whether you do a non-stop or fly into Sydney and then on to Brisbane. It's even brutal when you don't have a Service Dog to worry about. When we took Brenda to Europe; we flew to Washington D.C. [5 hours] with no food, and only giving her ice chips, it was painful for all of us. When we finally landed and took her out to go potty and gave her a light snack, she gave me such a dirty look, it was so hard to watch. Then we boarded another plane for 5 more hours to Zurich, Switzerland. Once we landed and were settled in our hotel life was good for the next 3 weeks. We rented a car and drove to every adjacent country.

These long flights are so taxing on our dogs and on us. I don't look forward to them, which is why our vacations now are on cruise ships and preferably one's that leave from our home port.

You MUST do some pre-training with your dog on puddle-pads. My first dog Brenda did not like to use the pads, it was a nightmare; she finally realized that she would have no other choice and used them.......but, only after I made sure that they were affixed to the floor and would not move under her constant need to turn in circles before she went [she drove me crazy with this habit!] I would lay one or two pads down in the airplane bathroom, let her relieve herself, pick up the pads, wipe the floor and dispose of the pads in a plastic bag and place in a waste receptacle. It's a lot of work. But, such is life with a SD!

Horton, my second dog would pee on me, if I were laying on the floor, no problem. He's a great traveler and truly pees and poops on command!

This is an extremely long flight - 13-15 hours depending on whether you do a non-stop or fly into Sydney and then on to Brisbane. It's even brutal when you don't have a Service Dog to worry about. When we took Brenda to Europe; we flew to Washington D.C. [5 hours] with no food, and only giving her ice chips, it was painful for all of us. When we finally landed and took her out to go potty and gave her a light snack, she gave me such a dirty look, it was so hard to watch. Then we boarded another plane for 5 more hours to Zurich, Switzerland. Once we landed and were settled in our hotel life was good for the next 3 weeks. We rented a car and drove to every adjacent country.

These long flights are so taxing on our dogs and on us. I don't look forward to them, which is why our vacations now are on cruise ships and preferably one's that leave from our home port.

You MUST do some pre-training with your dog on puddle-pads. My first dog Brenda did not like to use the pads, it was a nightmare; she finally realized that she would have no other choice and used them.......but, only after I made sure that they were affixed to the floor and would not move under her constant need to turn in circles before she went [she drove me crazy with this habit!] I would lay one or two pads down in the airplane bathroom, let her relieve herself, pick up the pads, wipe the floor and dispose of the pads in a plastic bag and place in a waste receptacle. It's a lot of work. But, such is life with a SD!

Horton, my second dog would pee on me, if I were laying on the floor, no problem. He's a great traveler and truly pees and poops on command!

I am currently working with Halo on relieving on command. He will get it, but it is slow, probably me more than him. He also has the ability to hold forever. When traveling with him from Idaho to Illinois, 6:00 am - 5:00 pm, he wouldn't go until the final destination, although we offered him several opportunities.

I think I am actually more worried about myself on that long flight. I haven't booked that trip yet and may choose a shorter trip.

Linda and Halo

I am currently working with Halo on relieving on command. He will get it, but it is slow, probably me more than him. He also has the ability to hold forever. When traveling with him from Idaho to Illinois, 6:00 am - 5:00 pm, he wouldn't go until the final destination, although we offered him several opportunities.

I think I am actually more worried about myself on that long flight. I haven't booked that trip yet and may choose a shorter trip.

Linda and Halo

Because I'm so concerned about my dogs comfort I don't sleep well. And, because my SD's are not small dogs the importance of them being alowed to get up and move around weighs heavily on me. Just like people, dogs can get blood clots, cramps and spasms in their muscles if they remain in one position too long.

I would take Brenda up and down the aisles every few hours. Most of the passengers loved seeing her and she loved being patted. She was actually a calming force those who were nervous flyers.

Labs thrive on all the attention! And, on long flights it's really welcomed!