Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

3 hours ago, springredheadsdd said:

Me and my parents are thinking of doing something similar to that for me at their house. My vision is getting really bad to the point that I will most likely not be able to legally drive after my next eye appointment. Stairs are also a bad thing for me with my back issues, which makes everything else bad. I have a long list of medical issues, way more than a 27 year old should have. My eye doctor is baffled as to how I could have so many issues for a 27 year old white girl in the USA. I have a bedroom upstairs but most days I find the stairs hard and Bella does not like them either. We moved me temporarily to a spare room downstairs but it is not good for long term. My parents have a 1/2 acre so we are in the begging stages of thinking about putting a mother in law sweet in behind the garage for me. Just something with a bedroom, living room, bathroom and kitchenette. My mom would like to have access to a bathroom directly from the pool so we would have 2 doors to the bathroom, one from the pool and one from inside. We were also thinking of buying a duplex so I can live in one side and manage the people we would rent the other side too. Problem with that is I will most likely not be able to drive soon. 

You're very lucky to have the opportunity to have your own place, keeping most of your independence.  And, how lucky you are to have your parents to help you when needed.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:01 AM, Algebralovr said:

Roz - I'm so glad to hear that Horton is doing well.  I know how stressed you were over him!

I'm not a hugger.  The one thing this virus has done is stop people who are huggers from wanting to hug us non-huggers.  Some people just really can't help themselves, and there are some of us who are just uncomfortable with it.  One thing I'm actually pleased about is that going forward, we should see more people that think before hugging.  

Yes!  I'm not a hugger either.  My side of the family gets that I'm this way, but my in-law side are super grabby and huggy.  It makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but trying to explain this would only hurt everyone's feelings so I tolerate it.  I will admit I am liking the social distancing.  My comfort zone is when everyone other than my husband is 6 feet away, then I can relax and participate comfortably!

On 6/26/2020 at 8:45 PM, springredheadsdd said:

Me and my parents are thinking of doing something similar to that for me at their house. My vision is getting really bad to the point that I will most likely not be able to legally drive after my next eye appointment. Stairs are also a bad thing for me with my back issues, which makes everything else bad. I have a long list of medical issues, way more than a 27 year old should have. My eye doctor is baffled as to how I could have so many issues for a 27 year old white girl in the USA. I have a bedroom upstairs but most days I find the stairs hard and Bella does not like them either. We moved me temporarily to a spare room downstairs but it is not good for long term. My parents have a 1/2 acre so we are in the begging stages of thinking about putting a mother in law sweet in behind the garage for me. Just something with a bedroom, living room, bathroom and kitchenette. My mom would like to have access to a bathroom directly from the pool so we would have 2 doors to the bathroom, one from the pool and one from inside. We were also thinking of buying a duplex so I can live in one side and manage the people we would rent the other side too. Problem with that is I will most likely not be able to drive soon. 

This is a wonderful idea.  What we have learned.  Every county and state have different requirements.  Our county allows a separate house, no bigger than 900 sq ft.  It would NOT allow a duplex.  And we have to submit it that it will stay in the family and is not going to be a rental or airbnb.  The county next to us allows a 1 bedroom, attached mother in law quarters, it cannot be a separate residence.

My brother in Illinois is going to build a "pool house" that has a bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, living room and will become a mother in law house.

A pre fab, modular home is cheaper than a stick built home.  There are a lot of good options out there.  There are some really nice 1 bedroom, 1 bath out there and provide more space in the living areas than a 2 bedroom, 2 bath does.

Linda and Halo

18 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Yes!  I'm not a hugger either.  My side of the family gets that I'm this way, but my in-law side are super grabby and huggy.  It makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but trying to explain this would only hurt everyone's feelings so I tolerate it.  I will admit I am liking the social distancing.  My comfort zone is when everyone other than my husband is 6 feet away, then I can relax and participate comfortably!

Howie Mandel had this social distancing thing long before all of us ever heard of it!!!!  Maybe you did too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope this finds everyone doing well.  Horton and I are truly hanging on........sometimes it feels like a fine, very fine thread that keeps me sane and facing each day.  I don't mind being alone but this virus thing really lends new meaning to social distancing!!!!!  And, because there are so many other's who are home with nothing else to do, they're setting off fireworks [almost nightly], since the beginning of June.  Horton hates the sounds and literally becomes unglued.  He acts agitated; panting, pacing and literally trying to climb onto my lap.  I feel so badly for him......I know that this weekend is going to be pure madness until these weirdo's in my neighborhood run out of the darn stuff!!!!! 

Aside from the fireworks, Horton is doing well on his new diet and medication.  CCI has requested a second opinion and he has an appointment with an Internal Medicine Doc. [of their choice] on July 22nd for an exam and blood work.  I don't like doing it because I'm not allowed to go into this strange doctors exam room, let alone his waiting room. 

I have to pull into the parking lot, call them and they will come out to my car and get Horton and when he's done they will bring him out to me.  I know that Horton will not think twice about going with a stranger and I know they will be gentle and kind to him but I don't like separating from him, at all!!!!  I don't know these folks and I can't oversee every moment they're with him.

I just MUST remind them that he is a Service Dog and will take any and all commands asked of him.  He just needs a very gentle, loving hand!!!!!

CCI is questioning the Cushing's Disease diagnosis and just wants to make sure that that's truly his underlying issue.

I'll let you all know how that goes afterwards.

Roz, I hope Horton and you can find a safe level for both of you with the stupid fireworks.  Jazzy had her Thunder Shirt and benadryl last night and still climbed under Travis' bed panting.  She won't let me hold her. She is not a cuddle bug.  Then I am babysitting  a nice German Shepherd.  I hate leaving him home alone, but can't bring him to our house.  I didn't know last night was going to be a war zone.  I didn't put his Thundershirt on him, I didn't want him to get too hot.  I will put it on him tonight.  I left the stereo on.  Hopefully that muffled the sound.

Hope everyone else has a good 4th. 

4 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Roz, I hope Horton and you can find a safe level for both of you with the stupid fireworks.  Jazzy had her Thunder Shirt and benadryl last night and still climbed under Travis' bed panting.  She won't let me hold her. She is not a cuddle bug.  Then I am babysitting  a nice German Shepherd.  I hate leaving him home alone, but can't bring him to our house.  I didn't know last night was going to be a war zone.  I didn't put his Thundershirt on him, I didn't want him to get too hot.  I will put it on him tonight.  I left the stereo on.  Hopefully that muffled the sound.

Hope everyone else has a good 4th. 

Nancy, thanks for asking.  Horty is absolutely terrified of the fireworks.  He goes off to the bedroom which seems to muffle the sounds better, but this is definitely the worst I have ever heard since I've lived here and that's 27 years

I suppose it's all the social distancing driving the anti-social idiots so crazy that they feel forced to make big noises in their environment.  I'm hoping that after this weekend we should be able to enjoy our evenings with more relaxation.  Last night the fireworks went off until after 2:00 am.

My heart goes out to the folks who suffer from PTSD.

Hi AlI, first Horton is doing very well.  He's on two medications daily and will have a second opinion from an Internal Medicine Vet on July 22nd, as requested by CCI.  His energy level is good, not quite what it was before his diagnosis but certainly better than the day that he refused to eat, drink or go potty.  He's eating, drinking, going potty, walking with me and having playful periods.  I'm grateful for how he's responding to med's and I certainly hope that he remains doing well.

I had my "phone interview" with CCI today [for a Successor Dog], it was wonderful to speak with Ken, in Santa Rosa, the trainer who worked with me on my "Side Placement" with Horton.  Such a nice guy.  The interview went well and we talked about traveling and future wants and needs from another dog.....I told Ken that it would be very, very difficult to not travel and cruise with Horton and, of course, some tears were shed.  This time I'm not in any rush to retire Horty and love having him in every aspect of my life.  There's really no place to go and Horty is the perfect partner to "isolate" with!

I still have to have an "In Person" interview and then the waiting period begins.   They really don't know how the process will go, in terms of waiting time.  Covid19 is changing everything for them.  They have to put together a class of people that can travel to CCI and there has to be dogs who are in or finishing advanced training.......there's lots of stuff that has to all come together so that there can be a class of folks to train for two weeks and then graduate in a safe and healthy environment.  I'm not in any rush. 

There's lots of time to be with my boy and enjoy our time together and I'm doing just that!  I can't wait for the day that the first cruise actually leaves our L.A. Port!!!!!!

• Like 1

Roz, so glad to hear you and Horty are just chillin '. Hopefully some o f his playful moments bring out his goofiness for Mom.  I guess he likes your cookin' !  🍗🍔🍕  BOL.  I

As for cruising, I have been thinking, 1.). Will it be a "light" crowd because peop!e are still afraid to travel or 2) Everyone will want to travel because they will have killer deals to fill the ships.  Could go either way.  Keith and I discussed just going and staying in our room, with a balcony.  Just order room service!  It won't happen.  I think he has left the house about 3 times since he came home from the hospital in first part of Febuary.  

I went to Vegas from july 5-7.  Here is my take on traveling right now.  I flew Allegiant from Boise to Vegas.  They are filling the planes.  Thank goodness I was traveling with my daughter and her boyfriend and we had a row to ourselves.  The airports are fairly empty and are trying to do the social distancing.  All employees at the airport had on masks and most had gloves.  Most passengers in the airport were wearing masks and properly - most, some had it below their noses.  There was a little lack of distancing in the TSA lines, but it seemed groups stayed together and I saw some notice they weren't distancing and moved.  

Allegiant loaded in people of 10 and spaced everyone out coming down.  The planes were very clean.  Everyone was friendly.

Vegas is doing an amazing job.  I felt safer there than in Boise.  Everything is at 50% capacity or less.  Masks are required and there is a ton of security around that will remind you to pull up the mask properly.  Lots of stations with masks, gloves and sanitizer and hand washing stations throughout.  Restaurants totally have the distancing down; it was quite nice to be able to get to my seat easily in my wheelchair, I am so used to bumping people or chairs.  Shops only let a certain amount of people in at a time and you have to wear a mask.

The pool was the only place masks weren't required, but upon entering the pool and finding your seat you were to mask and going to the bathroom or up to the grill masks were required.  The life guards and all employees around the pool had masks.  The life guards in the wave pool even had on masks, the life guards in the chairs, once in the chairs could take them off.  

We stayed at Mandalay Bay and it was so clean.  The black jack and poker tables had dividers between the players and also between the players and dealer.  The slots were turned off every other one and/or spaced out.  The roulette table did not have any barriers and people seemed to crowd those tables.  Craps tables had barrier shields.  If it got crowded, we just moved away, but that never really happened.

I came back on Southwest.  The are leaving the middle seats empty and are really spacing things out.  I had a row to myself, my daughter and her boyfriends stayed two more days, and the row behind me was empty.

It was nice to get away.  My boy, Halo, is totally clinging to me since I got back.  Rich did not go, he thought it was too risky, so he stayed home and took care of Halo.  

Linda and Halo

4 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Roz, so glad to hear you and Horty are just chillin '. Hopefully some o f his playful moments bring out his goofiness for Mom.  I guess he likes your cookin' !  🍗🍔🍕  BOL.  I

As for cruising, I have been thinking, 1.). Will it be a "light" crowd because peop!e are still afraid to travel or 2) Everyone will want to travel because they will have killer deals to fill the ships.  Could go either way.  Keith and I discussed just going and staying in our room, with a balcony.  Just order room service!  It won't happen.  I think he has left the house about 3 times since he came home from the hospital in first part of Febuary.  

Nancy, I can't wait for the day that you're telling all of us that you're going on a cruise.....it's been way too long for you!

36 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I went to Vegas from july 5-7.  Here is my take on traveling right now.  I flew Allegiant from Boise to Vegas.  They are filling the planes.  Thank goodness I was traveling with my daughter and her boyfriend and we had a row to ourselves.  The airports are fairly empty and are trying to do the social distancing.  All employees at the airport had on masks and most had gloves.  Most passengers in the airport were wearing masks and properly - most, some had it below their noses.  There was a little lack of distancing in the TSA lines, but it seemed groups stayed together and I saw some notice they weren't distancing and moved.  

Allegiant loaded in people of 10 and spaced everyone out coming down.  The planes were very clean.  Everyone was friendly.

Vegas is doing an amazing job.  I felt safer there than in Boise.  Everything is at 50% capacity or less.  Masks are required and there is a ton of security around that will remind you to pull up the mask properly.  Lots of stations with masks, gloves and sanitizer and hand washing stations throughout.  Restaurants totally have the distancing down; it was quite nice to be able to get to my seat easily in my wheelchair, I am so used to bumping people or chairs.  Shops only let a certain amount of people in at a time and you have to wear a mask.

The pool was the only place masks weren't required, but upon entering the pool and finding your seat you were to mask and going to the bathroom or up to the grill masks were required.  The life guards and all employees around the pool had masks.  The life guards in the wave pool even had on masks, the life guards in the chairs, once in the chairs could take them off.  

We stayed at Mandalay Bay and it was so clean.  The black jack and poker tables had dividers between the players and also between the players and dealer.  The slots were turned off every other one and/or spaced out.  The roulette table did not have any barriers and people seemed to crowd those tables.  Craps tables had barrier shields.  If it got crowded, we just moved away, but that never really happened.

I came back on Southwest.  The are leaving the middle seats empty and are really spacing things out.  I had a row to myself, my daughter and her boyfriends stayed two more days, and the row behind me was empty.

It was nice to get away.  My boy, Halo, is totally clinging to me since I got back.  Rich did not go, he thought it was too risky, so he stayed home and took care of Halo.  

Linda and Halo

Linda, thanks for the Vegas and airline report.  I keep getting all kinds of invites and enticements from the Wynn Hotels and am so tempted to just bite the bullet and take the drive.  It might be fun for Horty and me to just do a "get-away" before he is totally retired.  I talk big.....but, I'm not so sure either he or I am ready for such an adventure.  

Yours sounds like it was fun and I'm glad you got the chance to go.

Thanks Roz for the well wishes for the weekend.  We thought we were in the clear, it has been quiet for a few nights, Then last night as we were getting ready to go t o bed at 11:30 pm some Jack Wagon decides to light off fireworks!  And of course not the safe and sane ones, the unsafe and insane ones. Fortunately it only lastest about 15 minutes but long enough to send Jezzy under the bed and LeAnn Emily threw her dinner up!  

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Thanks Roz for the well wishes for the weekend.  We thought we were in the clear, it has been quiet for a few nights, Then last night as we were getting ready to go t o bed at 11:30 pm some Jack Wagon decides to light off fireworks!  And of course not the safe and sane ones, the unsafe and insane ones. Fortunately it only lastest about 15 minutes but long enough to send Jezzy under the bed and LeAnn Emily threw her dinner up!  

Oh!  No!  Nancy, I'm so sorry that your babies had to go through that. 

I hope that whoever is setting off these fireworks thinks twice before doing it.  I don't like to wish bad things on anyone but these mindless idiots have absolutely no heart or thought to what what they're doing!  And, to how horrible these sounds are to many beings.  Including some wonderful and brave folks who fought for our rights!

Please, let's try to be kind to one another!

I hope everyone had a safe July 4th!

I moved this past week and it's SO MUCH BETTER for Mila! Previously we lived on the 3rd floor and it was such a pain. I also was recently put in a cast boot by my podiatrist and will possibly have to have surgery on my foot. I moved into a 1st floor apartment and it's the best decision ever! I was able to put a little tie out on the patio so I can sit outside with Mila when she needs to go out. There is also a small bark park across the parking lot. She is so much happier there already. I am able to exercise her a lot more without hurting myself more. 

Also our last cruise was cancelled... we were supposed to be on Odyssey of the Seas in April. Now we are going on a different cruise on Harmony of the Seas in April. I'm hoping this one sticks!  

9 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

I moved this past week and it's SO MUCH BETTER for Mila! Previously we lived on the 3rd floor and it was such a pain. I also was recently put in a cast boot by my podiatrist and will possibly have to have surgery on my foot. I moved into a 1st floor apartment and it's the best decision ever! I was able to put a little tie out on the patio so I can sit outside with Mila when she needs to go out. There is also a small bark park across the parking lot. She is so much happier there already. I am able to exercise her a lot more without hurting myself more. 

Also our last cruise was cancelled... we were supposed to be on Odyssey of the Seas in April. Now we are going on a different cruise on Harmony of the Seas in April. I'm hoping this one sticks!  

Your new apartment sounds perfect for you and Mila.  And, you have a cruise to look forward to.......Awwww!  Life is good!!!  🎈

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Oh!  No!  Nancy, I'm so sorry that your babies had to go through that. 

I hope that whoever is setting off these fireworks thinks twice before doing it.  I don't like to wish bad things on anyone but these mindless idiots have absolutely no heart or thought to what what they're doing!  And, to how horrible these sounds are to many beings.  Including some wonderful and brave folks who fought for our rights!

Please, let's try to be kind to one another!

Well they did it again last night.  The good part is Jezzy was laying behind Pop's chair and the TV was still on so she didn't hear them.  Fortunately when she went out to go potty it was all over.  These Jack Wagon's have posted in our social media thread for our area that they don't give a "damn" about our dogs or people that can't handle it.  They will continue to do it and then they laugh about it.  I do not like humans sometimes, this being one of the times.

18 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

Oh how nice to be in a first floor apartment.  I am sure Mila loves being able to go sit outside and watch the world go by.  And a park close by.  That is great.  Hope you get better with your foot and don't have to have surgery.  But if that is what will fix it, I guess it is a must.  Good luck and keep us updated how you and Mila are doing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Oh how nice to be in a first floor apartment.  I am sure Mila loves being able to go sit outside and watch the world go by.  And a park close by.  That is great.  Hope you get better with your foot and don't have to have surgery.  But if that is what will fix it, I guess it is a must.  Good luck and keep us updated how you and Mila are doing.  

Luckily if I have to have surgery it won't be super invasive. It's basically to go in a clean out a bunch of scar tissue. I'll probably find out for sure within the next couple of weeks. I just want to make sure my foot doesn't hurt when I go on my next cruise! 😄

Are there like special cabins for those who has a service dog? Do they offer dog food on board? I have never actually thought of that. I wonder how dogs are feeling on board the ship and whether they have fellow dogs to play with there 

As far as I know, service dogs can be in any cabin that their handler chooses to pay for.  We have to bring our own food, they do not provide food for the dog.  My dog had a great time cruising - I'm not entirely sure she even understood that we were on a ship.  I think she just thought we were visiting some weird village!!  There was another service dog on board my last cruise, but my dog and her dog didn't play.  They were both there to work.  I guess if I travelled with a friend who also had a service dog, and the dogs got along nicely, I could see maybe finding a quiet nook to let them blow off some steam together!

We have traveled in a balcony cabin and in suites.  I always bring more than enough food for her.  Embarkation is a little tough because of the crowds, but otherwise no issues at all.  We gave 3 cruises planned starting in November if thus year.  Still not sure if that one will happen.   First thing we do is find her relief area.  After that, no issues at all.  I believe i have wriiten this before, but I don't like crowds, so I have been getting a suite with friends so that we have a private dining room and don't have to wait in crowds for dining.  To be honest, some of the crowd issues is because she is small, only 14 pounds and i worry about someone not seeing her and stepping on her.  Because of her training, sometimes she will be on my lap.  I let the cruise lines know that ahead of time.  As long as she isn't in a seat of her own, they have been fine with that.

3 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

Luckily if I have to have surgery it won't be super invasive. It's basically to go in a clean out a bunch of scar tissue. I'll probably find out for sure within the next couple of weeks. I just want to make sure my foot doesn't hurt when I go on my next cruise! 😄

No one knows when that will be but we're all looking forward to it!!!!!

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Are there like special cabins for those who has a service dog? Do they offer dog food on board? I have never actually thought of that. I wonder how dogs are feeling on board the ship and whether they have fellow dogs to play with there 

If your Service Dog is cleared to board he will be able to travel in any cabin that you choose.  Service Dogs are trained to travel on all venues and usually do not suffer with motion sickness.  YOU must supply EVERYTHING that is needed for your dog and that, of course, includes the food.  The ship will supply a potty box, with filler, for you.

It's best that you do not allow your dog to interact with other Service Dogs onboard, unless you can find a private space that will not interfere with the public.  And, you want to make sure that they will NOT make any disturbance or mess of any kind.  Most people love to watch the dogs play together and then there are some folks who don't want to see or hear the dogs at any time!  You never know!