Details on Capt. Larry whale watching reservations

zimmerjulie

Hello All,

Some of my group members are planning to book with Captain Larry for whale watching in Juneau. I was wondering if any of you have some info that I can check out in advance, specifically, does Orca Enterprises require a deposit or full payment in advance, do they offer a refund if the ship doesn't make the port?

I will be contacting Orca E. directly, but I need to talk to my group members first, and I want to have the info handy when I talk to them tonight. I want to get their cc info, etc. if I need it.

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Julie

They require a 50% deposit at time of reservation. The rest is charged the day of your tour.

There is a $25 cancellation fee if you cancel up to 72 hours before the tour. If you cancel after that, there is no refund.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Coral!

I have been searching this board "by hand" and found something on page 9 that said they give refunds if they cancel due to weather. I guess my last question is whether they give refunds if the ship can not make the port, for some reason, or if it comes in late and misses the tour time.

Thanks!

Julie

Be aware that if you book any other excursions with Orca, they will also require a deposit for that and there are cancellation fees for it even if the actual excursion company does not require deposits or have cancellation fees. Coastal does not require deposits or have cancellation fees, but in order to combine the helicopter and whale watching trips, you have to book through Capt. Larry's office and they do. Doesn't seem right, but we booked anyway for the convenience. You should just be aware of that. Carol at Orca was very nice and helpful. These are just their policies.

Julie,

You will need to call Carol and verify about the ship being late or missing the port.

I do know someone who was late on their trip (and missed it) and Awesome Orca was able to accomodate them on a trip later on in the day. I was surprised at this since Capt Larry is normally booked solid.

I agree - Carol in the office is very helpful and can answer all your questions. They are also very good at responding to emails within 24 hours.

I forgot - we went once when it was raining outside (trip wasn't cancelled). It actually wasn't that bad - there are windows on either side of the boat and you can slide them open and close when you want. We even stood out on the back of the ship when it was raining to take pictures. I never thought I would do that.

I booked with Captain Larry 2 weeks ago for our cruise in August and my credit card was charged for the entire amount??

8/25 Carnival Spirit

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;8;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 2/03

Glory 2/04

When I made my reservation, Carol asked me whether I wanted to just make the deposit or to pay the full Amount. I chose to pay the full amount. Just one less bill when I get home.

Till we sail on the Norwegian Spirit \Leo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I am thinking of Capt Larry Orca tour however, the ship Oosterdam doesn't get there until 1:00 PM and leaves at 8:00 PM. Was told that there was room on the 3:30 PM tour which returns at 7:00 PM. Have always booked excursions through ship before. Should I be concerned about only having one hour before ship leaves port? Thanks, Ginnylou

05/29/04 Oosterdam Alaska

02/27/05 Sun Princess Southern Caribbean

04/06/05 Infinity Hawaii

Ginny,

I probably would be concerned - because if the ship leaves at 8, then you probably have to be on the ship by 7:30.

On the 2x I have gone with Capt Larry, we have been back to the office early but I would probably go with a ship's excursion if it was me.

I would ask Carol at Capt. Larry's for their recommendation. They do this all the time and are familiar with each cruiseline sailing times. I wouldn't think they would risk their reputation and take any chances on you missing the ship. I guess there is no planning for boats, vehicles breaking down, though. icon_rolleyes.gif

Archived