Carnival taking advantage to gouge in Galveston

DavidO

In looking at the prices for Carnival cruises for the rest of the year, especially 7 day cruises, am I the only one that thinks that Carnival is taking advantage of being the only cruise line left in Galveston to gouge the prices? Their prices this fall are well above what they should be for the time of year and compared to say Florida ports. 7 day cruises for over $700-800 a person when similar ones are going for $500 a person for the same time of year.

I was looking for a good deal for this fall and there is none from Galveston and adding airfare to other ports makes it just as much (amazingly as much but not more than Carnival in Galveston without air).

Just a little complaining about the gouging I perceive.

David

In looking at the prices for Carnival cruises for the rest of the year, especially 7 day cruises, am I the only one that thinks that Carnival is taking advantage of being the only cruise line left in Galveston to gouge the prices? Their prices this fall are well above what they should be for the time of year and compared to say Florida ports. 7 day cruises for over $700-800 a person when similar ones are going for $500 a person for the same time of year.

I was looking for a good deal for this fall and there is none from Galveston and adding airfare to other ports makes it just as much (amazingly as much but not more than Carnival in Galveston without air).

David

Carnival must have also found out that Texas schools are starting later this year. The price on our August 19 Carnival cruise has gone up by $1000 for a 3 person balcony since we bokked in January.:mad:

In looking at the prices for Carnival cruises for the rest of the year, especially 7 day cruises, am I the only one that thinks that Carnival is taking advantage of being the only cruise line left in Galveston to gouge the prices?

David

I try to look on the positive side, but it gets harder everyday. With the price of fuel, I don't see how they do it as cheaply as they do.

It is strange that Galveston is higher for a cruise than a similar one out of Miami or NO, though.

I agree. Why is everyone leaving Galveston? Norwegian was pretty reasonable when it sailed from Barbous Cut (Houston) but they are now gone. When are ships going to start sailing from the new Bayport Terminal? And yes, once you add airfare it is just as $$$. At the very least, Carnival could send a third ship to Galveston as it is a very popular port and generally sells out.

Easy - Supply and Demand. The ships out of Galveston almost always sail full.

It is my understanding that NCL will be back when the cruise ship terminal is complete. I only hope this is soon.

I think the key is to book early. My daughter's oceanview (hand picked and mid-ship) came to only $669 a person. It actually started a bit higher but dropped in price in February. I don't find that price expensive as the cabin sizes and amenities on the Conquest look very good. I booked almost a year in advance.

I thought I read somewhere on this board that RC was leaving Galveston sometime this year or next....anyone know?:confused:

Yes, we have a previous thread you might want to read.

Why are all the ships leaving Galveston? (Merged) at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=451041

And if you are interested in the new Port of Houston facility in process, you might want to read this one.

Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged) at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=422301

Kat020105_emYA11_prv.gif

I think the key is to book early. My daughter's oceanview (hand picked and mid-ship) came to only $669 a person.

Exactly... I booked about six months ago on the Conquest. My cat 8A cabin (and I selected my cabin...) was $739pp. I don't find that expensive at all.

Supply and demand... the fewer the number of available cabins the higher the price.

I try to book at least six months out. I booked a cruise on the Inspiration in April 2008 14 months out and got a fabulous rate on my Cat 12 cabin.

I booked almost a year ago and got our 8B balcony for $729 and our dd's 4D $449 (theirs has since about doubled in price!) I compared Glory vs. Conquest and at the time they were the same price. We picked Conquest because we can drive it in about 10 hours vs. 16 hours to Florida.

I booked with a special Carnival had a couple of weeks ago and got cat BE for $760..not sure Im gonna like being that far forward,but we will see! The balcony I had looked at was $729 at one point...kinda wish I had taken that one since Ive had that area before... Dot

• 2 weeks later...

:D I guess when I check out the prices I really couldn't find THAT much of a price difference! I could only see about a $20-50pp dollar difference, and since I would drive to FL like I would to TX, I don't think $200 tt ($50pp x 4!) will pay for my airfair! DARN~ I would sure like to find those deals and sail out of FL instead!!!!

David

I think you are correct. Usually the prices really come down in the fall, but not this year. Only game in town.

• 4 weeks later...
The trouble with Houston/Galveston is the long distance to the airports. While they have the parking lots for cars, the long distance to either airport discourages flyers.

Evidently it's not discouraging enough. For obvious reasons I'd prefer fewer flying in so the prices would be more competitive for locals.

Archived