How are Gay Couples treated on Straight cruises?

jason021771

My better-half and I have taken 20 cruises together. We take at least one each year and sometimes two in a year. All of them have been on Princess. Anyway, we have never experienced any problems on any of those cruises. We also believe that most people who cruise are laid-back and don't want to waste any time or energy worrying about whether or not they're going to run into any gay people on the ship. We conduct ourselves in an appropriate manner and enjoy meeting others on the cruise whether they're gay or straight. We still have ongoing friendships with several straight couples we've met on various cruises. In fact, one of those couples asked us to join them this October on the Explorer of the Seas 9-day Canada/New England cruise. We immediately booked the cruise and look forward to seeing them again.

We understand the concern of first-time cruisers who wonder what kind of treatment they may receive, but just be yourself and have fun no matter what ship you're on! :)

Cheers!!

John & Marty

We've never had any problems either on any of the ships we've been on. In fact, it's kind of fun getting to know people from Kansas and Indiana and other places where, unlike the coasts, they may not see as many openly gay couples (I'm originally from Arkansas, so I feel I can say that). :) We've also had nothing but good experiences so far in the dining room, where we always choose to sit at a large table with other couples. As far as the lines go, I do think that, of the lines we've been on, Princess was far and away the most welcoming toward gay passengers.

We've never had any problems either on any of the ships we've been on. In fact, it's kind of fun getting to know people from Kansas and Indiana and other places where, unlike the coasts, they may not see as many openly gay couples (I'm originally from Arkansas, so I feel I can say that). :) We've also had nothing but good experiences so far in the dining room, where we always choose to sit at a large table with other couples. As far as the lines go, I do think that, of the lines we've been on, Princess was far and away the most welcoming toward gay passengers.

Hey neighbors!!! JP here.

You made a comment I wanted to respond to. Our first cruise was on Princess and we were so utterly thrilled with the experience that we've gone back again and again and have ended up only cruising on Princess. I do not in any want to suggest that other cruise lines aren't gay friendly (and I know many gay people who have had great experiences on Royal Caribbean, NCL, etc.) But, I do have to say that our experiences on Princess have been extraordinary. As my husband said above, sometimes it almost seems like we're treated better for being gay. :o By the staff, at least. We had one cruise where the diningroom staff, from the moment we entered the door on just bent over backwards for us the entire trip. And, while I may have noticed one or two sideways glances when we were walking to dinner on a formal night in our tuxes holding hands, that's by far a rarity. Most often, we've just met wonderful people who couldn't care less whether we're gay or straight or purple for that matter. As others have said, we've made some great friends, both gay and straight, on our Princess cruises, and are looking forward to more wonderful experiences. We've already got 2 more booked (Tahiti - Hawaii in September and Caribbean in June '08.)

So, for what it's worth, from our experience Princess is definitely a great line for gay and lesbian travellers.

Go get 'em, gang! :D

JP, huh? Small world. :)

There were lots of gay guys on the carnival ships we've been on, and they had FOD get-togethers that were very well attended. On Freedom of the Seas, we had to ask to put up a notice for an FOD meeting. On HAL, there were no FOD meetings, and our request for one went unanswered by the staff (granted, we didn't really push it, but we did ask). On Princess, they actually had crewmembers and dancers who attended the many FOD get-togethers, which was great and a lot of fun.

JP, huh? Small world. :)

LOL! Maybe smaller than you think. It occurred to me after I posted yesterday that the guy on the right in your picture looked awfully familiar. I think we went to law school together (when I was first coming out and was SUCH a goofball!) LOL!

.... On Princess, they actually had crewmembers and dancers who attended the many FOD get-togethers, which was great and a lot of fun.

Yeah, that's been our experience, as well. In fact, on the Caribbean last December the DCD hosted the LGBT parties and provided champagne ..., lots and lots of champagne. ;) As I mentioned above, there must've been 40 or 50 of us on that cruise, and they had 4 LGBT gatherings on a 7-day cruise. Was a LOT of fun.

Most often, we've just met wonderful people who couldn't care less whether we're gay or straight or purple for that matter.

Purple - that cracked me up. :D

We even were married in British Columbia. On the tender over someone asked if were going to a wedding as we were dressed in our tuxes. I said yes, ours. It did turn a few heads, however that night returning to the diningroom we were bombarded with champagne, flowers and congrats by some of the straight folks who were on the tender. It was really nice, and we have kept in touch with the friends we made.

Thank you for sharing that. What a sweet gesture! :) It really makes me feel better after reading some of these boards and seeing the barely repressed hostility that people express toward gay and lesbian travelers. I have no idea why people can't just vacation and let others vacation! You are welcome at my table anytime. :)

It is so nice to read all of the good comments from previous gay cruisers...I wish that more people in today's society would be more open minded and accepting...Wish all of you happy travels!!!:)

It's nice to hear from a straight cruiser that is open minded and accepting :)

By the way your Shelties are Gorgeous. Makes me miss mine (He passed away last year).

My Partner and I have been on several cruises and several cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America, and as of next week, Silver Sea, and we have never had a problem.

We tend to try and get a table for 2 for dinner, but when we can't we enjoy the company of those seated with us. While we're not much for PDAs, we frequently refer to one another as "sweetie." Had a few looks, but that's all.

Of the line on which we've sailed, I have found Princess to be most gay-friendly. They always have FOD events scheduled and many crew members and entertainers will attend. On one of our Caribbean cruises, most of the FOD meet-and-greet was populated with the male dancers! Had a great time with them since most were very campy!

We always have our beds pushed together and not once as any crew member said or done anything derogatory.

Go and have a great time. Our experience has been that about 5 -- 10% of those on any given cruise are gay. So, if you're on one of those mega ships with 2500 passengers, there will be somewhere between 125 -- 250 gay passengers and that doesn't even count the gay members of the crew, which I would figure to be 30 -- 40%.

no, we are not the "in your face" gay couple. We too, find it inappropriate to "make out" in public, gay or straight. We are just somewhat concerned about our table mates and if being two men will stand out and draw negative attention.

I am straight and am here mainly out of curiosity. I really feel bad for you guys because you have to worry about things like this. for the first time I put myself in your shoes. What a sad society we live in when people have to judge others like this.

In all honesty, my wife and I wouldn't be bothered in the least. Even though we may not be used to the gay community, you guys are people just like us. I've grown over the years to accept the gay community, not to ostracize them as being different.

I wish others would follow. Having to worry about what others may think should not be an item to worry about.

A lesson learned here is the story about the star bellied sneetches by Dr. Seuss. I forget the name of it, but the thesis behind the story is not to pass judgement on others.

Best of luck to you guys and hang in there. More power to you!

I am very proud of all of the "straight" people who have responded to this post. My partner and I have yet to find a gay couple to hang with on our previous 3 cruises. However, we have met some neat people on board, especially on our last cruise. In fact, we have even called each other after the cruise - they live in Spain. We just like meeting people no matter what their sexual preference is. I don't know if living in Kansas has anything to do with how we act or feel.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I have sailed on both Celebrity and Princess and have found both to be very "gay-friendly". We are not into PDA's (gay or straight); however having been together over 8 years, we also do not give much concern to anyone who has a problem with us a couple. I must add, on our Regal Princess cruise to Alaska 3 years ago, we met a group through the roll calls on this site. When sailing day came, we all (5 couples) met on deck for cocktails and the rest is history - we formed some wonderful friendships that continue to this day. The reason I mention this is out of the 5 couples, my partner and I were the only gay one. We had an awesome time with these people who ranged in age from mid 30's to mid 70's. Bottom line, sexual preference should not be an issue to anyone planning a vacation and good times can be had by all!!! :)

In fact, during one "photo session" on the formal night, the photographer asked if we were just friends or a "couple". I'm pretty sure he was family too ...

It was nice of him to ask, although I imagine if it had been two straight men who were just friends, they may have been offended...

I am gay, but was travelling with my father on my last cruise. We went on an excursion, and I met a gay couple in which one man was probably 15-20 years older than his partner. I guess I set off their gaydar and they thought my dad and I were likewise a "May-December" couple, as they asked how long we had been together. Awwwwk-ward!!! I answered "ever since the day I was conceived"...

You guys will have a great time. My partner and I have done all straight cruises with Holland America. Last year we booked with a gay travel agency that did a group booking and had 100+ gay guys (mostly couples). It was nice having other gay couples to do stuff with, but still be on a regular/straight cruise.

hi,

i'm new here (first post!)-- just found this forum a couple of days ago. i'm relieved to find that GLBT community goes on "straight" cruises, too. my partner and i (together four years) are going on the rhapsody of the seas, sailing 8/12, and i hope very much that we won't run into any trouble that being a lesbian couple might cause. i'm not new to cruising, but i am new to cruising with my partner as opposed to my family. we are experiencing a tiny bit of anxiety about this issue.

i s'pose i just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for the information. :)

Partner and I have only done straight cruises on a variety of cruise lines: Commodore (what a hoot the Enchanted Isle out of New Orleans was!); Crystal; Royal Caribbean; Windstar; Silversea; and Seabourn and NEVER had anything but great times. No trouble from fellow guests or staff. I suppose there were the occasional curmudgeon or two that looked like they had sniffed a dog turd when they figured out we weren't brothers, cousins, etc., but that was their problem, not ours.

We were one of Silversea's anniversary cruises back in 2004 and had cocktails a couple of nights in a row with a nice straight couple from San Francisco (yes, we were shocked as well that there are straight couples in San Francisco!). Now, we may not be the biggest flamers in the world, but come on, two guys always together, no wives or girlfriends to be seen, talking about "our home in DC", our dogs, etc., it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure us out. Well, the hubbie wasn't a rocket scientist. On the first formal night when we, all decked out, entered the restaurant, the hubbie exclaimed in surprise to his wife "oh! They're gay!" And the wife replied, "yes, and they dress so well". It was hard not to chuckle. They continued to be our pre-dinner cocktail dates throughout the cruise.

So, relax. Have a good time and remember you're on vacation!

Perry

We've only done straight cruises so and never had any problems.

We've never had any problem with the crew, they've always been wonderful. We've occassionally gotten a stray glare or two from other passengers, but the vast majority of people have been friendly. We usually manage to meet a mix of both straight and gay couples on board that we run into repeatly and sometimes join for dinner or a cocktail, or sit near on excursions. We've even had people walk up to us and make positive comments about the photos of us they've seen in the gallery.

We've had nothing but great positive experiences as a couple cruising on RCI. We always sit at a larger table so we get to meet people & get to see the dawning look in our tablemates eyes as they realize we're just another married couple too. Always check out the photos as the pics start adding up, an easy way to see who's who to meet other family members.

Weve only done mainstream cruises, across the realm of 5 major cruise lines and weve never had a bad experience. For the most part, weve always been completely comfortable as a gay couple. Is it coincidence, luck or is it reality? Most of the posts carry the same opinion so it must be reality.

My partner and I have been on 8 cruises all on RCCL. Only a couple of times have we had anyone with "issues" an old couple at our table on the Brilliance of the seas in the Mediterranean asked to be moved on the first night because "this table is unexceptable" they were just pissy old close minded people. The other four couples (all straight ) were fabulous and we had a great time with them, in fact we still keep in touch with them.

We also on the same cruise met a gay couple from NM whom we just had a blast with, and ended up on the JOTS Transatlantic in April 2007 together (unplanned) and had a blast again. On that same trip my partners parents were with us and they had a great time with all 25 to 30 of the gay people that we befriended!!

We just got back last night from a three-nighter out of Florida on Sovereign of the Seas. We shared the table with a straight couple and a mother-daughter combo and they were great. We had pictures taken, played in the Qwest and just generally enjoyed the cruise .

Archived