Xpedition And Machu Picchu-Just Returned

AGG3

We returned Friday (7/6/07) from our fantastic vacation onboard the Xpedition. We loved every minute of it. We loved the small ship concept, the wildlife and the numerous friends we made along the way. We really enjoyed the personal attention of the all-inclusive Xpedition. Both passengers and staff become friendly very fast on this small ship. We did high intensity activities twice a day and found ourselves to be very busy and active, which we loved. The high intensity excursions are not overwhelming. Don’t hesitate to do all the high intensity activities if you are in reasonable physical condition. Our favorite excursion was when we snorkeled from the zodiac in the midst of all the playful sea lions. We were also fortunate to see the mating ritual of the winged albatross. What a hoot!

We were not sure if we would enjoy the Peru part as much as the Galapagos, but we surely did. The guides were awesome and the hotels were all five star and amazing. The grand finale was visiting Machu Picchu on our last day. What a way to end our trip! Machu Picchu was breathtaking. It certainly deserves the recognition it received today as one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. When you come upon it for the first time, although only 8,000 feet in altitude, it is so magnificent in the midst of the 18,000 feet Andes Mountains. It is a sight to behold. The city of Cusco was a great city to walk around and soak in the mixture of Inca and Spanish history and of old and new. It was fascinating.

The Peru guides and hotels were outstanding. We experienced no altitude problems, thanks to the recommendations from our guides. By booking through Celebrity, we found the trip to be seamless and totally stress free. Celebrity has done a wonderful job of putting together this extension from the Xpedition. I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering doing the Machu Picchu extension. It was an amazing experience. Let me know if anybody has any questions. Arlene

We returned Friday (7/6/07) from our fantastic vacation onboard the Xpedition. We loved every minute of it. We loved the small ship concept, the wildlife and the numerous friends we made along the way. We really enjoyed the personal attention of the all-inclusive Xpedition. Both passengers and staff become friendly very fast on this small ship. We did high intensity activities twice a day and found ourselves to be very busy and active, which we loved. The high intensity excursions are not overwhelming. Don’t hesitate to do all the high intensity activities if you are in reasonable physical condition. Our favorite excursion was when we snorkeled from the zodiac in the midst of all the playful sea lions. We were also fortunate to see the mating ritual of the winged albatross. What a hoot!

We were not sure if we would enjoy the Peru part as much as the Galapagos, but we surely did. The guides were awesome and the hotels were all five star and amazing. The grand finale was visiting Machu Picchu on our last day. What a way to end our trip! Machu Picchu was breathtaking. It certainly deserves the recognition it received today as one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. When you come upon it for the first time, although only 8,000 feet in altitude, it is so magnificent in the midst of the 18,000 feet Andes Mountains. It is a sight to behold. The city of Cusco was a great city to walk around and soak in the mixture of Inca and Spanish history and of old and new. It was fascinating.

The Peru guides and hotels were outstanding. We experienced no altitude problems, thanks to the recommendations from our guides. By booking through Celebrity, we found the trip to be seamless and totally stress free. Celebrity has done a wonderful job of putting together this extension from the Xpedition. I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering doing the Machu Picchu extension. It was an amazing experience. Let me know if anybody has any questions. Arlene

Glad you had the fabulous Xpedition experience so many others did before you. One point I would beg to differ on is that it is by no means necessary to take all the high intensity excursions. I've made two trips aboard the Xpedition,for a total of over 30 excursions including optional snorkel trips. I kept a diary after each excursion and there is no doubt that the moderate or even easy trips surpassed the intense ones at different stops. A few of the simple panga rides were incredible.

My advice would be to do a mix of all three types,inland hikes,beach walks and panga rides.

We returned Friday (7/6/07) from our fantastic vacation onboard the Xpedition. We loved every minute of it. We loved the small ship concept, the wildlife and the numerous friends we made along the way. We really enjoyed the personal attention of the all-inclusive Xpedition. . It was an amazing experience. Let me know if anybody has any questions. Arlene

Arlene,

Thanks for the post. We are booked for June 1, 2008, and we are really looking forward to it. :)

Thank you SO MUCH for the great review! We are booked for this cruise with the Machu Picchu extension so I was glad to see that you were happy with everything.

I do have one question about luggage. Since you don't go back to the Marriot after the cruise that means you can't leave luggage at the hotel to pick up afterwards.So I'm assuming you are restricted to the 30 pound weight limit for the entire trip. Was this a problem for you to pack for both segments of this trip? I'm worried about bringing both warm and cool weather clothes. I guess layering might be the answer.

If you have any other tips I would greatly appreciate them. We can hardly wait to experience this trip.

Thanks!:)

We tried to limit our luggage to 30 lbs., but I must say we went over the limit, especially on the return when our bags were filled with new souvenirs. There never seemed to be an issue about the weight. I think that if you are close to the 30 lbs., you will be okay. We did not return to Quito, as you stated, so no luggage was left behind. However, we did leave one piece of luggage at the Lima hotel so that we had less weight and less hessle when we traveled to Cusco. We had a mixture of warm, cool and rainy day clothes. We never needed the rain gear and hardly needed the cool weather gear. The weather in Lima and Cusco was a comfortable 60-70 during the day and 50-60 during the evening. Sweatshirts should cover it all. I think you will love the entire experience. Arlene

Hi,:) that must have been really neat...knowing you had just sailed

to one of the "New 7 Wonders of the World":D :) :D

Glad you had a great cruise!

We will be on the Infinity repositioning cruise from Valpo to FLL. and we are interested in taking a tour to Machu Picchu. (if this is possible?). I checked the shore excursion section and there are no tours available yet. Does anyone know how this works?

We will be on the Infinity repositioning cruise from Valpo to FLL. and we are interested in taking a tour to Machu Picchu. (if this is possible?). I checked the shore excursion section and there are no tours available yet. Does anyone know how this works?

Don't see any way this would be possible. Definitely not doable on your Lima day...travel times alone are more than you are in port (1.25 hr flight each way from Lima to Cuzco, 3.5 hr train each way from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes --and trains only leave 6:00 & 6:15 AM-- and .50 hr coach ride to the ruins each way. I guess an option would be to get off the ship in Arica, somehow find flights to Lima then Cuzco, skip your port call in Lima, fight flights to Quito and then get to Manta Ecuador 3 days later. It would be a scheduling nightmare and you would be off the ship for 3 days.

If you are keen on visiting MP, do it pre-cruise from Santiago. You will need at LEAST 4 full days to do even a minimal trip (one afternoon and one morning at the ruins) plus travel time from Santiago to Lima both ways.

We are intimately familiar :) with this since we are doing MP after we get off the Xpedition in February.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Now, I will plan accordingly....and do a pre trip excursion via a tour operator. Arranging all that on our own seems like too much work for us. And we have the time.

I was actually hoping that X might have a pre cruise excursion to MP.

To gracecarmo:

We also booked the Infinity Cruise Valparaiso to FLL from March 30 to April 13, 2008 - because we will do the Machu Picchu excursion!.

Our friends did this cruise in 2007 and enjoyed this trip. Celebrity makes it possible: You will leave the ship in Arica and fly to Cuzco, tour the city and have dinner. Next morning you will take the train to Machu Picchu and return in the afternoon or evening to Cuzco, where you spend another night. On day 3, you will fly to Lima and catch the ship at Callao. All organized by Celebrity with two price options for hotels and trains. I assume the shore excursions don't show now, because Celebrity doesn't have the future prices yet.

Peter

Oh, thank you Peter! Your information was exactly what I was looking for. We are on the March 15 Infinity Valpo to FLL, in 09.

I would never want to organize this type of tour myself.

Thanks again...

Hi Texed. Just thought I'd let you know that Norm and I and two grandsons just returned from the Galapagus and the entire area is absolutely magical!!!! We were on a 20 pax motor yacht which was great in terms of small group touring but not luxurius by any means. Please tell me that you are taking your wonderful son. The islands are a kids paradise. The snorkeling is some of the best we have ever done.

Hi Texed. Just thought I'd let you know that Norm and I and two grandsons just returned from the Galapagus and the entire area is absolutely magical! Please tell me that you are taking your wonderful son. The islands are a kids paradise. The snorkeling is some of the best we have ever done.

Yes, we are taking Sean with us to Galapagos. He LOVES animals and wildlife. He also enjoys water/snorkeling, so thanks for the info. It is so nice to hear from you again. :)

Texed--Your welcome! If you have any questions between now and when you go, just send us an e-mail at:

norman.duffy@comcast .net

Thanks, and thanks to Arlene. :)

• 2 years later...

jms--Are you talking about the Galapagos? We traveled there in a 20 pax motor yacht, the M/Y Eric. We booked with an expedition tour company in New England somewhere (I would need to look it up) but it included flights to Quaquill, Ecuador; two nights and touring there; flight to the islands; 7 night cruise; flight to Quito: hotel and touring 2 nights and then flight home.

Yes we have been to Machu Picchu.

Archived