Choosing & Booking a Cruise

sailingkiwi

My husband and I have decided to book a cruise to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary on 10 January 2009. I realise that this is a year and a half away, but we want to make sure we choose the right cruise for us and also pay the cheapest price for it (it seems that you get great prices for booking early).

At this stage we are favouring a cruise in the Southern Caribbean and there is one that we have found the look of on Princess, it is a 10 day cruise. Another bonus for this cruise is that it sails from Fort Lauderdale and we would like to spend some days either before or after the cruise exploring Florida.

My questions are:

We are in our late 20s, are NZers and have travelled widely - is this a good cruise line and length of cruise for us? Or is it likely that most people will be older than us (like 60).

From the UK is it better to book straight through the cruise line or through a travel agent? Is it possible to recommend agents on this board?

Thank you so much for your help. If anyone wants info about ports of call in NZ I would be happy to help out.

The length of your cruise sounds nice. How long you go depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you have. I would say anywhere from ten to fourteen days would be nice. Many people do a seven day cruise but if you can do more I would highly recommend it as for my wife and me seven day cruises are way to short.

In January you will find an average passenger age that is older than in the summer time. In the summer you'll have more children on the cruises and in January you'll find some who are your age but also others who are a good deal older who have children that are either in college or all grown up. We find that the age of people really doesn't make a difference.

Princess is a very nice cruise line. There are others to choose from as well.

I don't profess to be an expert on this but I have met various citizens of the UK on our cruises and many tell me that they will use a US Based agent so that they are charged in US dollars and not Pounds. So, I think there is a big advantage for you to book though a US Agency rather than the cruise line or a UK based agent.

Others from the UK might know more about this.

And, you are doing well to start your planning now. Cruises seem to be selling fast and the earlier you book the more selection you have. So, I think it's good to finalize plans sooner rather than later.

Keith

I've sailed Princess and I very much enjoy their food, service and gorgeous ships. I'm in my early forties, but like to stay up (when I'm not too tired) and hang out, or dance. I've never had a problem finding people to do that with. I also think a ten day cruise is about perfect. You have enough time to really get relaxed, but not so much you are not running off the ship, kissing land at the end of it.

Since I am in the US, I cannot answer your other questions. You might want to put those out on the Princess boards. I can say that there are a lot of UK and Aussie cruisers on Princess, but I've never met any New Zealanders on a ship, which is a darn shame. Since I love your country.

I also think Fort Lauderdale is a great port to leave from. You can really tool around southern Florida and enjoy all it has to offer and have a lovely area to stay in prior to your cruise. It's one of my favorites.

and encouragement. I have started looking at cruise brokers based in the US (starting with the ones listed on cruise critic). However, I can't find the cruise I have seen on the Princess website listed on any of them.

One of the reasons that Princess appeals is that you are allowed to bring a couple of bottles of wine with us. We both love to drink wine and prefer it over most spirit based drinks or beer.

Hopefully, someone British will pop up with an idea of the best way to book a cruise from over here.

One of the reasons that Princess appeals is that you are allowed to bring a couple of bottles of wine with us. We both love to drink wine and prefer it over most spirit based drinks or beer.
We have enjoyed cruising on Princess. However, I wouldn't let the ability to bring wine on board be a great determining factor.

Most cruise lines will allow you to bring a few bottles on board. All of the lines have wine available. To us non-wine drinkers (we like it occasionally but it's not our first choice of alcoholic beverage) the lists look rather extensive. Afficianados may have a different opinion. Of course, if you have a favourite wine from a specific vintner it may not be on the list.

For us the itinerary and ship (along with the cost) are determining factors in selecting a cruise.

Charlie

Fort Lauderdale and Miami just 45 minutes away are maybe the 2 busiest cruise ports around so you will have lots of itineraries or ships to choose from. I would suggest since you are coming some distance you do a 10 -12 day Southern. This will get you more ports and a private island. Princess is a good choice. HAL or Celebrity as well if you want just a bit better. IMHO

Thank you for your advice. I think that we have narrowed it down to 2 cruises. A Princess one, leaving Ft Fauderdale on 9 January to the Southern Carribean, for 10 days on the Emerald Princess. Has some interesting ports and a couple of sea days, including the day of our 5th Anniversary. The other one is on the Carnival Valor and visits ports like Belize. I have looked at cruises on Celebrity and Holland, but there don't seem to be any that fit our criteria. As it is a once in a life time opportunity we want to make sure that we are spending our money as wisely as possible.

Once you cruise with Princess, it's hard to cruise with any other company. My first cruise was with Princess and it was such a great experience. You can dine whenever you want, and the ship is wonderful. The food was extremely good. Don't remember one dish that I didn't like.

About me, in early 30's, so Princess is definitely good for you. (This happens to be a cruise line that is not just for the elder cruisers)

You can try the BIG travel companies here and I am sure they would have the cruises you are looking for (like expedia.com/travelocity.com).

Carnival should be good too, as I'll find out soon. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

We have decided to go for the Princess cruise to the Southern Carribean. Have got a few quotes and have had fun getting different agencies to better each others prices.

We have also decided to go for a outside rather than a balcony and to spend the difference on doing things on shore, plus to pay for a couple of extra days in Florida after the cruise.

I checked the Princess Roll Calls and there isn't one for your sailing yet, but be sure to come back in 6 months to check again, or better yet, start one now yourself!

Your fellow CC members will be a wealth of information!

I certainly will. I have posted in the Cabin selection forum a question about cabin choices.

I see you are off to Paris next. Have you been before? It is probably my favourite city - I have been 4 times. If you are there on a Sunday make sure you visit the food market at Richard Lenoir (Bastille metro station) to pick up bread, cheese and wine for a picnic and then head to the nearby Place Vosges for a picnic lunch, then stroll through the shops of the Marais afterwards (one of the few shopping areas that is open on a Sunday).

Archived