Ft. Lauderdale transfers for Zuiderdam

kelelmel

HAL's transfer price seems steeper than other lines. Couple questions:

*Should I purchase transfers through HAL? If so, is it necessary to do in advance or just as easy to do in the airport?

*If I chose not to purchase transfers is it easy and affordable to catch a cab? I am not so concerned w/ transportation from airport to ship (cabs should be in abundance), however, are cabs readily available at the pier?

*Any advantage in HAL transfers (e.g. easier embarkation)?

I have always, in the past, purchased my transfers through the cruise line. This has never been an issue for me before, however, it seems they are doing less and less for you with transfers and charging more and more. One year with RCCL we had to lug all of our luggage (trust me it's a lot) BLOCKS to get to the bus.

Thanks!

You must purchase the transfers in advance if you wish to go on HAL's bus.

A taxi from FLL airport to the pier is about $12 plus tip. Very, very easy to get a taxi at the airport. It is a short ride.

The down side to HAL transfers in FLL (not necessarily in other cities) is the price is higher than you need to pay for two people. You often have to wait for another flight to land and those folks to claim their luggage. If two flights are due to arrive very close to each other, they use the same bus if there are not too many people.

There is no advantage in terms of boarding the ship. Since early embarkation began, everyone starts boarding by 11:30 A.M.

Hope this helps.

The advantage of the taxi is that it is cheaper and faster. The advantage of the HAL transfer is that you don't have to deal with your luggage.

You will find a Holland America representative in the baggage claim area. If you have not purchased a transfer you may purchase the transfer from the representative. The cost will be added to your onboard account.

We almost always take a taxi as it is easier, less expensive and much faster.

Port Everglades and the Ft. Lauderdale Airport are within five miles of one another. Currently there is some construction as you approach the pier. If you are in a taxi be prepared to show your ship documents to the security person when your taxi gets to the security check point. My point here is to keep your ship documents and passports close at hand as you will need them before you arrive at the ship.

As for luggage handling. No matter whether you use HAL's transfers or take a taxi, you still have to claim your luggage yourself. If using HAL transfer, you will be instructed where to take your luggage to - usually an assigned bus. You take your own luggage to the bus. The bus driver puts it on the bus and off you go (probably with others) to the pier. The bus driver unloads the bus and the stevedors take your luggage into the terminal. If you use a taxi, you still have to take your luggage out to the cab yourself. Luggage is put into the taxi and off you go to the pier. Again the stevedors take over and your luggage goes into the terminal.

At the end of the cruise, you will claim your luggage and either you take it to the taxi or bus yourself or you have a porter help you.

Taxi is really the best way in Ft Lauderdale.

Thank you sooo much everyone. All the info. was very helpful. The fact that everyone agrees has absolutely convinced me to catch a cab. I was strongly considering it anyway but wasn't sure how far the airport was from the ship. Now that I have that resolved, I am ready to go. Too bad I still have to wait 7 weeks!! :(

You should be arriving a day early so HAL transfers are a moot point. I met two couples on our July Zuiderdam cruise who had no luggage because airlines lost luggage. I made the same mistake once and my wife waited three days for luggage to catch up with the ship. Most luggage never catches up.

But sometimes that's just not an option, especially if departing on a Saturday. Not everyone can miss work to get there early, like Friday, and evening flights are sometimes less than desirable and leave you more tired than refreshed. JMHO. If I could fly out Fri for my sailing Sat, I would in a heartbeat.

Gio-one,

Aaahh please don't scare me. I know this is always a possibility but as Divinggirl said, sometimes the day/night before is not an option. I have always booked my air seperately and always booked it for the first AM flight out. In this case I am departing NJ at 7:30a, anticipated arrival in FL is @ 10:30a. I do that in case of delays and/or being bumped, then I would have time enough to catch the next flight. But as you indicated luggage is always another concern. Lord knows I wouldn't look very good in my fiancee's clothes.

Well, I am not going to let that stress me out, I will save the stress for the week leading up to departure and then drown my worries in margaritas!

What's works best for one is not always for everyone, you should do whatever you can arrange that best fits your schedule. Now if you had booked a noon flight to land in FLL at 3, I would say tsk tsk. I am leaving BWI at 9:10 and landing at 11:40. Plenty of time...as for luggage, well, sh** happens--if they lose your luggage there's no guarantee they'll find it in time whether you're there that day OR the day before. Can't worry about that. As I've said a million times, travel insurance covers that, it wil reimburse you for delayed and lost luggage (cost of replacement items).

Nikki

I realize that everyone cannot leave a day early. However, I have seen posts and talked to people who did not leave early because of the additional hotel cost. Instead, they booked air with the cruise line for almost double what it would cost if they booked on their own, which would pay for the hotel and meals. Note that the cruise line assumes no responsibility for airline delays or lost baggage, but they will usually try to make arrangements with the airline to have baggage delivered to next port. In addition, many times the cruise line flights are connections where there is a greater chance of delays and/or losing baggage. That is what happened to us.

Yes, insurance does provide some protection, but you cannot replace your clothing and most personal items on a cruise ship. Moreover, I don't want my money back, I want to go on a cruise with all my bags.

Lastly, in most intances, bags are found within one day. I have had the problem several times on business flights, and the bags were delivered the same night or the next day.

Gio and Nikki, you both make very good points. Losing my luggage has always been a fear of mine, now that we have discussed it, I am sure I will run into complications. Luck of the Irish!

Here is an interesting spin, my mother had her luggage dropped in the water by the cruise line (RCCL). So, while most luggage problems occur with the airline, there is the occasional incidence when the cruise line is to blame. RCCL was, however, gracious enough to incur the liability and reimbursed her for $500 (I believe).

I have also heard stories where cruise line lost luggage and they just denied that they ever received it. Cruise lines should give a receipt for luggage. This is a major complaint of mine since you have no way to prove that you ever gave them the luggage.

Archived