Best "Ultimate Caribbean" Itinerary?

Luxuriate

My husband and I will be cruising with our then 4 year-old son. We have been on several cruises including several ports in the Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, and the Panama Canal. Our son has never been on a cruise. Celebrity Cruise lines is our favorite, to date.

We want to take a cruise in January 2009. I'm trying to decide between the 10 day "Ultimate Caribbean" cruise on the Connie and the 11 day "Ultimate Caribbean" cruise on the Connie.

Please help us with our choices. Both leave out of Fort Lauderdale, FL.

10-day itinerary: 4 days at sea. St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten.

11-day itinerary: 5 days at sea. Grand Cayman, Cartagena, Columbia, Cristobal Pier, Panama, Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, and Cozumel, MX.

We have good cabins reserved. Honestly, which would you choose and why?

A back to back would be perfect if you have the time. Actually, this is a tough one for me. I'm going on the 11 day in January and I've been to the ports on the 10 day. But, I think that I would choose the 10 day because I really like St. Kitts, St. Lucia and St. Maarten and would like to do them again.

We are going on the Jan 23rd Connie sailing. Last year we did a B2B on the Explorer of the Seas, and it was our first time at the Western ports. We were not impressed. Had pretty lousy weather for one thing, but we didn't think that the islands were as nice. Also the fact that we had to tender into a lot of them didn't help!

Lisa

Hello Luxuriate !

My vote goes to the 10 night itinerary. I have done this itinerary many times, and it is Celebrity's best Caribbean itinerary hands down. The 11 night itinerary is excellent too, but if I had to choose one... it would be the 10 night itinerary.

Good Luck & Enjoy your Cruise !

I vote for the 11 day because the ports are more exotic. The 10 day, we've done on Summit and enjoyed, but they are been there, done that Caribbean ports. You'll always get a chance to go to Barbados and St Maarten. Maybe not for the other ports.

I am with Andy. Other than St. Thomas, the itinerary is terrific on the 10 day.

The 11 day sailing has several ports I have been to and have zero interest in visiting again. Cozumel - and even GC - is far too packed with cruise ships and Port Limon was not very nice at all. JMO but I would book the 10 day without a doubt.

Have done both itins on varioous ships..-- I would prefer the 10 day--same reasons for Gr Cayman & Cozumel but Costa Rica is great for nature excursions..very beautiful outside the city. If it includes Panama Canal cruising, even just going through the one set of locks that might be a factor--not sure your son would be old enough to be facinated with that yet! I also like Constellation over most other ships!

We've done both of these before - although the 11 day itinerary we did in 2005 was a little different. In fact we've done the 10 day twice (2004 and 2007) and are planning on doing both on a b2b in 2009!

While I think both are nice, my personal favorite is the 10 day. This is because all of the ports are great places for beach and water fun, and many have some great catamaran type sails with decent snorkeling. I enjoy these type of activities more than sightseeing type excursions.

The 11 day includes Grand Cayman and Cozumel both of which have fantastic beaches and snorkeling and water activities. Most of the other ports are more known more for touring and sightseeing than beaches and water sports - although there are some water activities. Although I know nothing about Cartagena. Most notable sightseeing are the rain forest and canals of Costa Rica and the Panama Canal.

The 10 day has 5 action packed, and potentially tiring, days in the middle surrounded by 2 relaxing sea days on each end. The 11 day is a little more mixed. Both agendas are nice in different ways. 11 days is always better than 10 in terms of trip length, but if your vacation days are limited you don't need to take a full two weeks off work for the 10 day, like you do for the 11 day.

So if you'd prefer the beach and water activities I'd say the 10 day has better options. If you'd prefer touring & sightseeing then the 11 day might be better.

If it were my decision, I'd do the 10 day now, and leave the 11 day for a few years later when your son might be a little older and more able to better enjoy some of the great sights like Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman, the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel or some of the large "beach toys" at some of the beaches in Cozumel. At four he might be too young for some of these activities.

Personally, if traveling with a 4-yr-old, I'd pick the 10 day cruise as it offers so many beach options to allow your son a place to romp and run as most 4-yr-olds need.

Panama & Costa Rica are both very beautiful and have some great excursions but those are mostly geared for older children's interest.

Dianne

I would recommend the 10 night. The ports will be more kid friendly. If you do the 11 night, you will find yourself possibly not wanting to get off the ship in some of the ports, due to lack of things to do for kids or safety. Columbia, Panama, and Costa Rica are all a little iffy for kids.

For you onboard enjoyment you can't go wrong with either.

Have a great time

If it was just me and the wife I would do the 11 day in an instant because of Grand Cayman, Costa Rica and the Canal. 3 of my favorite places. But as Larry said above, do them when the 4 year old gets up there a little bit more. I think the sting rays would scare him like they do the adults. Isn't it great to be trying to decide what cruise to take? Talk about a win-win.

We had to make the same decision for our upcoming cruise with our 2 kids (8 and 10). We went with the 10 day mainly because of the ports. (The fact that it left on my b-day and we get Valentines day on the ship helped also). As a side note, our kids first cruise was a 10 day, and now they only want to take longer cruises, even though there are less kids on board.

Have a great time! It adds a whole new dimension to the trip to see the ship and the ports from your kid's eyes!

Kim

I canceled my reservation on the 11-day and am now booked for January 2, 2009 on the 10-day Constellation. All of your help in my decision was immeasurable. I agree, with a 4-year old in tow the ports on the 10 day sound better. Also, we normally travel right after Christmas so the date of the cruise meshes well with our plans. We will probably spend several days pre-cruise at a kid-friendly resort in Fort Lauderdale.

I was able to to 9162. Our first AFT! This will be our son's first cruise and I want it to be enjoyable for him.

Thanks again!

Cheryl

My husband and I are also on your cruise to celebrate our 25th. We are in 9201 aft. We are looking forward to our first cruise with Celebrity. I really liked the itinerary on this one along with 2 days at sea at the start and end of the cruise.

Archived