NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Do they have anything where you can "pre-load" your on-board account for a cruise thats booked and coming up? I would like to put $1000 in that on-board account if they're giving the 4X points.

According to this fine print, your do not get the bonus points until after the cruise is complete.

Offer limited to 10,000 points maximum per booking, one booking allowed per cardholder per cruise. Book window for offer is 5/1/09 - 5/31/09. Earned points will be added to a guest account after completion of the cruise. Offer based on dollar amount applied to the reservation within the booking window of the promotion. Cancellation may result in forfeiture of WorldPoints special offer. Offer is for new individual bookings only. Points cannot be redeemed for cash and are non-transferable. Standard payment option applies. Guests who cancel and rebook must accept this promotion's Terms and Conditions. Cancellation Fees for cruise, air, land and other charges will follow NCL schedule listed in the brochure and website. Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, NCL strongly recommends the purchase of Travel Protection on all bookings

According to this fine print, your do not get the bonus points until after the cruise is complete.

Offer limited to 10,000 points maximum per booking, one booking allowed per cardholder per cruise. Book window for offer is 5/1/09 - 5/31/09. Earned points will be added to a guest account after completion of the cruise. Offer based on dollar amount applied to the reservation within the booking window of the promotion. Cancellation may result in forfeiture of WorldPoints special offer. Offer is for new individual bookings only. Points cannot be redeemed for cash and are non-transferable. Standard payment option applies. Guests who cancel and rebook must accept this promotion's Terms and Conditions. Cancellation Fees for cruise, air, land and other charges will follow NCL schedule listed in the brochure and website. Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, NCL strongly recommends the purchase of Travel Protection on all bookings

Not that the print all over the place says BOOK a cruise, not pay for one that's already been booked. I've got one already booked that I have to pay final payment on this week, but if I'm reading it right, I will get no extra points for it, since it was booked before the promotion window. Bummer.

What's the wording of the fine print that says "anything that says NCL will get the points"? (I threw my flyer away - figured it wouldn't apply to me) Maybe I'm wrong. That would be nice.

Did you ask if your payment would give you 4x points? I made final payment last week but thought I'd just wait for my statement. I don't know how they are planning to keep track of points and when someone completes a cruise to award the points?

Now, they want to go after consumers that pay their bills on time.

We are living in the most interesting of times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/business/19credit.html?_r=1

So by paying your complete bill on time, you're making out like a bandit. Hmm, I thought they collect 3% on each purchase. So if we lose rewards and start looking for cash discounts, where will they get their blessed 3% from. It's getting ugly

Did you ask if your payment would give you 4x points? I made final payment last week but thought I'd just wait for my statement. I don't know how they are planning to keep track of points and when someone completes a cruise to award the points?

I did not ask the man taking the payment told me

My sister is not going to be able to use her points before they expire. Can she get a certificate in my name or can I use her points? I assume the answer is probably no. Thanks

I believe that the person who's name is on the certificate must occupy the cabin. I have read somewhere (perhaps on this thread) that if your sister wanted to list you as an authorized user of her credit card, then you could have the certificates issued in your name. However, since the program has ended and all the certificates have been mailed, I seriously doubt this is a possibility, and getting a definitive answer about this would be next to impossible. :(

I believe that the person who's name is on the certificate must occupy the cabin. I have read somewhere (perhaps on this thread) that if your sister wanted to list you as an authorized user of her credit card, then you could have the certificates issued in your name. However, since the program has ended and all the certificates have been mailed, I seriously doubt this is a possibility, and getting a definitive answer about this would be next to impossible. :(

Thanks - then I was thinking that maybe I could list her instead of my husband as the second passenger, use the certificate and then after final payment change the name. Seems like a lot of work though. I was just figuring if I could save $500, give her $500 for her $1000 certificate it would be a win win situation for both of us .

I am sure that somewhere, in the 130 pages of this posting, this has been answered, but a cursory look over a few of them didn't find it.....

I know I should send in my $500 certificate before final payment AND I should photocopy before sending AND I should send return receipt requested.

Any preference if I should send it to the PO Box address on back of certificate, or to NCL offices via street address? Good experiences/Bad experiences?

Thanks!

I am sure that somewhere, in the 130 pages of this posting, this has been answered, but a cursory look over a few of them didn't find it.....

I know I should send in my $500 certificate before final payment AND I should photocopy before sending AND I should send return receipt requested.

Any preference if I should send it to the PO Box address on back of certificate, or to NCL offices via street address? Good experiences/Bad experiences?

Thanks!

I have always cent them certified to the PO Box (and never had a problem.... yet). Others have sent them to the physical address and also had no problem. I claim the value of the certificates on the certified form so that amount is insured, although I am sure it would be difficult to collect on the insurance if they were ever lost.

To be safe I always call whoever I booked the cruise with and ask where they want me to send the certificate. 1st time I mailed one there was some confusion because TA did not know about cert and preferred to forward them to NCL. :eek:

Have answer for the 4 x World points. For the 1st time I am actually a little bit pleased (but do miss the old system). I used BOA card to pay final payment for July cruise and I have the 4 x points on my May statement. Now I should probably book and pay for Dec cruise (price went up while I was working on that vacation week w/employer) so I can get 4 x points for that too.

Also, I took advantage of "Add it up" and ordered new computer from Staples and various other items from long list of vendors and got my 1st bonus credit this month. 8% X the cost of my computer as a credit on my account! Now when I need something I go to that list 1st and book through BOA website for the extra $$$ back. :D

molly...if your sister adds you as a user on her credit card account I think she will be able to order certificate in your name....worth a try. Doesn't mean she has to give you the CC when it arrives.

Edited by kdg51

We sent the certificates via Federal Express to the street address for NCL and were able to verify that they had received them on the tracking shipment on Federal Express website. Have done this twice and never had any problems. Then we received the credit within 5 days of mailing them.

My input :)

I don't usually air complaints here on the CC boards, but this one is a real slap in the face.

I applied for the Capital One "No Hassle" card to replace the NCL Bank of America card we use for almost all purchases. I got a letter back saying "because of the state of the economy, they are not processing any new applications for Florida at this time."

They never ran a credit check on me, just sent out a blanket rejection. This coming from the company that invented the "secured" line of credit card where you put money on account just in case you didn't pay your card bill.

I have a FICO score of 804, and have never had a single mark on my credit that was negative. Without going into the numbers, I earn a hefty monthly salary, my mortgage is six years ahead of schedule, and I have a credit limit with NCL of $80,000 where the balance is paid in full monthly.

So I say kiss-off Capital One, you missed issuing a card to a good person at no risk!

(edited to add: BP gas stations in my area just started charging five cents more for credit card purchases. I went online and applied for a BP Chase card and was immediately approved for an $8000 line of credit.)

As an update, about a week after I spoke to the Florida Attorney General's office, Capital One sent me a letter saying I had been approved for the Rewards Professional card. The program offers 2% on all purchases so it accumulates cash back twice as fast as the NCL Worldpoints.

This points out the importance of follow-through when you're denied something that you believe you're entitled to. Banks and insurance companies are notorious for these type of broad-sweep decisions.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I mailed them in, certified mail with delivery confirmation. Fingers crossed all goes well!

I just mailed mine is as well! Keeping my fingers crossed here too! I'll report back how it works out.

Susan

As an update, about a week after I spoke to the Florida Attorney General's office, Capital One sent me a letter saying I had been approved for the Rewards Professional card. The program offers 2% on all purchases so it accumulates cash back twice as fast as the NCL Worldpoints.

This points out the importance of follow-through when you're denied something that you believe you're entitled to. Banks and insurance companies are notorious for these type of broad-sweep decisions.

Just make sure your rights and protections on the Professional card are identical to the ones you would have received with an individual/personal card (individuals are generally the prime beneficiaries of Congressional consumer laws - not corporations). I've heard some of the credit card issuers are giving fewer rights to those who use the professional cards - hence, the higher point awards to incentivize their use.

I apologize if this question has been posted already...I checked back a bunch of pages and didn't see anything on it.

Is anybody going to continue favoring this credit card over a different one? I am trying to decide if I want to switch back to using it, but seem rather disappointed with the program.

Excluding the idea of bonus points; am I correct in calculating that on the Compass rewards program, spending of a little over $16,600 meritted a $500 voucher, but now on Worldpoints I have to spend $50,000 to get the same voucher?

Yes, you now need to spend $50,000 to get a $500 certificate.

On the recommendation of people here on CC, I switched to the Capital One No Hassles Professional card which gets you cash back at 2% on all purchases. The card membership is $39 a year.