NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Wow, how exasperating! There is one person at NCL who handles only the points program. I do not have her name with me, but if you call the Public Relations dept they can get you to her (that is how I found her when I decided to voice my displeasure over the new program a few years ago). She was very nice and helpful.

Also, if you booked with a TA they may be able to help you. I use a NCL PCC and when I had one small hiccup she cut through the red tape in no time. That may or may not be an optiion for you.

I would make sure each time you call BoA or NCL you ask for a supervisor and document their name and the specifics of your conversation. People tend to take you more seriously when you say "on Monday the 15th I taked to Suzie Cue and she said . . . " Keep going up the supervisory chain til you reach the top. That's a lot of points to have in limbo.

Let us know how it turns out.

My question is:

What is the timing of redeeming OBC on the new program? I will not be traveling until Feb. 2013 and already have the 10,000+ points, can I redeem the $100 OBC now and keep applying additional 10,000 pt / $100 OBC as I get closing to the cruise OR can I wait until after final payment (get the double points) and then redeem all the points accumulated between now and then.

Also, must I redeem them through my TA or can I handle it myself with NCL? I booked throught an on line TA and I am not confident in their customer service.

By the way, you can now pay for excursions way in advance to get the double points.

Thanks very much for you help!

My question is:

What is the timing of redeeming OBC on the new program? I will not be traveling until Feb. 2013 and already have the 10,000+ points, can I redeem the $100 OBC now and keep applying additional 10,000 pt / $100 OBC as I get closing to the cruise OR can I wait until after final payment (get the double points) and then redeem all the points accumulated between now and then.

Also, must I redeem them through my TA or can I handle it myself with NCL? I booked throught an on line TA and I am not confident in their customer service.

By the way, you can now pay for excursions way in advance to get the double points.

Thanks very much for you help!

My OBC was always applied within a few business days of me calling the # on the redemption site.

But you are probably better off saving for $200 and using it for cash back. Then booking everything on your NCL card onboard. $200 OBC is 20,000 points... $200 cash back is 20,000 points. Get the cash back and charge/spend that $200 onboard and you'll get more points that way.

But you are probably better off saving for $200 and using it for cash back. Then booking everything on your NCL card onboard. $200 OBC is 20,000 points... $200 cash back is 20,000 points. Get the cash back and charge/spend that $200 onboard and you'll get more points that way.

Ah, I think I get it now, wasn't sure why you would think $200 cash back would be better than the $200 OBC. So I cash it out, apply the cash to my NCL CC, charge another $200 on board (which has already been "paid" by the cash out) and I get 400 points (double points) for my on board costs?

Good point about prepaying the excursions with the NCL card also. And would that also work with the tips? Still double points? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Ah, I think I get it now, wasn't sure why you would think $200 cash back would be better than the $200 OBC. So I cash it out, apply the cash to my NCL CC, charge another $200 on board (which has already been "paid" by the cash out) and I get 400 points (double points) for my on board costs?

Good point about prepaying the excursions with the NCL card also. And would that also work with the tips? Still double points? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Yup you got it. Pre-paying gratuities won't do anything unless you are trying to rack up points prior to the cruise to get the cash back. They will just get charged to your CC used for onboard spending - same # of points in the end.

Cash back is always a much better use of points, but some people just don't like doing it for some reason. :confused:

But before you redeem, be sure to check the points/dollars schedule. You want to wait until you get to the 1% mark If memory serves me correctly it is 25,000 /$250. Some of the lower point amounts offer a lower percentage so be sure to check before you redeem.

I have a question for anyone out there who may have an answer. Last month, when I received my NCL card statement I had 13,000+ points. By my calculation, I should have had 98,000+ points.

I called Bank of America on the 25th of July. I wasn't quite getting my point accross that I was missing 85,000 points. I was told by the customer service representative that I had asked for a check of $850. When I told her that I had not, she insisted I did. I thought that maybe I should ask for a manager. About 40 minutes later the manager came on and told me that either I had asked for it or NCL had asked for it. I told the manager that if NCL had asked for it, they never gave me credit for it which meant they took my money, and, if they did so, they did it without my consent. I really don't think they asked for it and I know I did not. The account manager then told me that I should be getting a check within a week.

On the 10th of August, when I did not receive any check, I again called. I spoke to an account representative who told me not to worry and that NCL had credited my account. I then called NCL and they told me that they neither had my credits or did they ever ask for them. I called again and the representative told me that he could hook me up with someone who would resolve my problem. I got NCL and they told me to call Bank of America. Does someone see a loop here? I called yet again and got someone who assured me that Bank of America would check to see if I cashed the check and if not send out a check for $850. I told them that I wanted the onboard credits sent to NCL. They said wait about two weeks and the matter can be resolved.

Should I just wait? Has anyone had such an experience?

Just my 2 cents. Our Sunday newspaper has a travel column with a National Geographic travel omnibusman that handles stuff like this, maybe your paper has this and give him a try if this doesn't work out later. BTW he generally suggests to do what your doing in writing via email, that way you have written documentation and trail. At work we have a proverb: "If it isn't in writing, it didn't happen."

Edited by Philob

I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly and I hope you see this, but I experienced a breach in my account where someone hacked into my account and cashed in 35,000 point for $350. They linked into my account and didn't charge anything but stole the points. Because I hadn't been watching, it was a few months before I realized it and I called BOA and said where are my points, they said I cashed them and I said no I didn't ! They could clearly see the action taken to steal the points and referred it to the fraud department once they took some info from me. They closed my CC and issued a new number. It was a pretty slick scam, since I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't read the point balance. I always review the charges, but hadn't been checking out the points. This happened to me in April of 2011. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The future cruise consultant on the Norwegian Star promotes the NCL MasterCard as part of his future cruise/cruise rewards presentation.

At the end of one of his presentations, a passenger asks to the future cruise consultant out loud, "how does opening an NCL MasterCard account affect my credit score?"

My eyes rolled so far, they almost fell off the side of the ship.

DH and I got this card about a year and a half ago in order to build up points to help with a cruise for our 10th anniversary coming up in June. My husband insists on having a balcony, but we don't have a lot to spend (living on a teacher's salary), so we planned on using the points to upgrade from an oceanview to a balcony. We have a 4 day cruise booked on the Sky and I just called to have the points applied for an upgrade, but apparently this upgrade can only be applied to 5+ day cruises. I'm super frustrated because we already booked our room and this is the only list I've ever found for the rewards, which doesn't indicate that restriction. Sooo, any suggestions on what my best plan of action is now? We have almost 40,000 points, and I don't see us getting to the 50,000 mark before final payment to make the $500 off a cruise reward either. My husband is not going to be happy about this when I tell him. :(

DH and I got this card about a year and a half ago in order to build up points to help with a cruise for our 10th anniversary coming up in June. My husband insists on having a balcony, but we don't have a lot to spend (living on a teacher's salary), so we planned on using the points to upgrade from an oceanview to a balcony. We have a 4 day cruise booked on the Sky and I just called to have the points applied for an upgrade, but apparently this upgrade can only be applied to 5+ day cruises. I'm super frustrated because we already booked our room and this is the only list I've ever found for the rewards, which doesn't indicate that restriction. Sooo, any suggestions on what my best plan of action is now? We have almost 40,000 points, and I don't see us getting to the 50,000 mark before final payment to make the $500 off a cruise reward either. My husband is not going to be happy about this when I tell him. :(

If you have 35000 pts you can get $350 cash back. Just go to the rewards section on BOA and opt for the cash back. Then you can upgrade yourself with the cash. I always just get cash back, then I can apply it to any vacation.

Thanks for the idea! I think if we upgrade and pay for the cruise (and maybe an excursion) with our card, there's a possibility that we might reach enough points for $500 back. I hadn't thought about the cash back option at all. The cruise isn't until June, so it might be doable. We were going to use the extra points for OBC, but if we do cash back, it's all the same anyway I suppose.

I know this is a thread for the NCL Master Card, but many pages back, they were discussing other options for better deals on credit cards for travel.

Here may be the best deal out there:

a Chase Sapphire Card. If you spend $3000 during the first 3 months you get enough points to get (ready for this) $625 back, either cash or towards travel.

http://www.chasesapphire.com/?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ35084228&jp_cmp=cc/03BRSapphireExact/sea/na/Chase&Sapphire

We have gotten it, and used it, and there are no gimmicks.

There is a annual fee of $95, but the first year is waived, so you can get it and cancel after the first year.

Cheers

Len

I don't know all the details, but when I called yesterday to activate my card the representative told me there was a promotion going on where if you spend $2000 in the first 2 months, you'd get an additional 2000 bonus points (plus the usual 10,000 bonus for first time use).

Like I said, I don't know the details but thought I'd let everyone know in case they want to check on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I cashed in my 10K points for an OBC for my cruise next month. It was easy and I got email confirmation in case they don't show it when I get on board.

I have since applied for the Sapphire card and it should be arriving a a couple days per the email we got. Their deal is just plain better. Getting 50K bonus with a 3K spend in 3 months is just too good to pass up. I will probably cancel my NCL card soon since there are no other advantages to using it other than for this cruise. The Sapphire card pays 2X on dining and ALL types of travel for the same deal.

I wish we still had the same deal from a couple years ago. I coud get practically a free cruise on 16.5K spending. Takes well over three times that now so bye bye NCL card. A better card is available!

Have you read the fine fine print to see if you can cancel the preferred Sapphire card after the first year without paying the $95 fee? It's waived for the first year, but if you cancel, will you be charged that waived fee? It would still be a good deal.

• 3 weeks later...
Have you read the fine fine print to see if you can cancel the preferred Sapphire card after the first year without paying the $95 fee? It's waived for the first year, but if you cancel, will you be charged that waived fee? It would still be a good deal.

No, they cannot do that. Think of it as a trial year - if you wanted to cancel because you're dissatisfied with the service, you have every right to do so without penalty. Trust me, they expect a lot of people to cancel before the annual fee hits.

I apologize if this was asked but there are 160 pages to this thread and my search came up empty. I received my NCL MC and after a qualified purchase I apparently receive $150 OBC for our cruise in Feb12. My question is this: If my wife opens up an account will we get another $150 OBC?

Thanks!

G

I apologize if this was asked but there are 160 pages to this thread and my search came up empty. I received my NCL MC and after a qualified purchase I apparently receive $150 OBC for our cruise in Feb12. My question is this: If my wife opens up an account will we get another $150 OBC?

Thanks!

G

Yes, she will get the same promo that you did!!!

• 2 weeks later...

***I think I get it now, wasn't sure why you would think $200 cash back would be better than the $200 OBC. ***

Thanks for the advice !?!

I just cashed in 20,000 points

and BoA let me know that they are happy to send me a check for $160.00 NOT $200.

Maybe I should have taken the on board credits ?