First night on the ship- can you wear shorts to dinner

Or no one said anything. I prefer people such as yourself to eat at the buffet, which is what you are dressed for. The cruiselines put out dress codes for a reason.

As long as people are welcome in the dining room wearing casual clothing, they will continue to dress casual. RCCL does print a suggested attire but it doesn't seem like it onboard:o IMHO

Not really, I have never seen a toga.:)

1st night it is casual but, be respectful of others...........no one wants to look at hairy arm pits or short shorts.....

* note to self: pack toga in carryon, not in checked luggage.

Is this really something I should consider? We will be driving to the port from home, so I do not have to worry about the airlines misplacing our luggage. However, I am traveling with my husband and 3 children and I really do not want to carry on all those clothes. How often are bags late to the rooms and have bags never shown up? Thanks!

My last RCCL cruise, we showed up to the pier at 12noon and our luggage showed up at 8:15pm

I guess its a good thing we had different tablemates huh? :D

Please don't get me wrong, we are not a group of defiant slobs. We know how to dress nice and respectful. No armpit hairs sticking out and no Togas. However, we are on vacation and more times than now, we are rushing for our early seating from a shore excursion. AND we deserve the dining room experience as much as anyone else, therefore we will continue to wear nice shorts when necessary to the dining room. And if guest such as one that posted above should enjoy there dinners in the private restaurants if they do not want to see shorts.

No offense giving.. just MHO.

Happy Cruisin:p

Since the question is not should you but can you, yes of course you can show up to the dining room in shorts. The dining staff realises not everyone will get their luggage in time for dinner. They also expect the guests to be up to 15 minutes late trying to find the dining room and then find their table!!!

I agree, plus the dining room in my opinion is to cold for shorts.

This is why I carry on a pair of slacks ... has nothing to do with propriety, and I don't notice what others are wearing, but I'd freeze!

It's for the very reason that rushing to get on the ship, not having luggage delivered by dinner time, etc. is the VERY REASON for packing a pair of cotton or knit slacks in the carry-on.

Being on vacation on a cruise ship is the same as being on vacation in a nice hotel with a nice restaurant. It's NOT a beach resort, it's a nice restaurant.

I feel the same way anywhere I go; it's not just on a cruise. It's so simple to dress appropriately, and it really doesn't take any more time to yank the slacks off the hanger after returning from a shore excursion after getting back to your cabin, than it does to comb your hair. About 30 seconds of effort.

So, I don't buy the "rushed, no luggage, no time" reasoning. I've been doing this for a very, very, very long time, and it's nothing extra to dress according to the suggestions of my host, and appropriate to the dining venue.

People have posted above that "no one cares". Not exactly correct: no one "says anything" is more like it. Lots and lots of fellow cruisers think the thought, but no one is going to stand up, point a finger, and say, "oh, look, that person doesn't care to dress like they are in a nice restaurant." We go on with our dinner, and you go on with yours. But, we do think it's a sign of disrespect for your fellow diners and your host who has tried to please everyone by setting aside dining venues to fit different styles of vacationing.

Shorts belong in the Windjammer, casual long pant outfits belong in the dining room (on the first night), and jackets belong in the specialty restaurants, as a general guideline.

Since the question is not should you but can you, yes of course you can show up to the dining room in shorts. The dining staff realises not everyone will get their luggage in time for dinner. They also expect the guests to be up to 15 minutes late trying to find the dining room and then find their table!!!

Good response

Is this really something I should consider? We will be driving to the port from home, so I do not have to worry about the airlines misplacing our luggage. However, I am traveling with my husband and 3 children and I really do not want to carry on all those clothes. How often are bags late to the rooms and have bags never shown up? Thanks!

One thing I always do when traveling (both on land vacations as well as cruises) is I pack a few changes of clothes for each of us in each suitcase.I know some people think it's easier to pack one suitcase per person - all of their things in once suitcase, all of their spouse's things in another, kids clothes in another, etc - but the way I look at it, if they lose one suitcase, then that one person has absolutely nothing for the trip (minus whatever they may have in ther carry on). But the way I pack, even if they do lose one of suit cases, we each have at least a couple of outfits for everyone in each suitcase to get us through until (hopefully) they find/deliver the lost suitcase.

We usually carry a change of clothes in our carry-ons as well. Although we've always received our luggage in time to unpack before dinner. We're just more comfortable wearing casual clothes to the dining room.

d

I guess its a good thing we had different tablemates huh? :D

Please don't get me wrong, we are not a group of defiant slobs. We know how to dress nice and respectful. No armpit hairs sticking out and no Togas. However, we are on vacation and more times than now, we are rushing for our early seating from a shore excursion. AND we deserve the dining room experience as much as anyone else, therefore we will continue to wear nice shorts when necessary to the dining room. And if guest such as one that posted above should enjoy there dinners in the private restaurants if they do not want to see shorts.

So you will continue to wear shorts even though the Compass clearly states that shorts are not permitted in the diningroom for dinner? If it is such a rush why not request late dinner?

I have been on 14 cruises and have always received my luggage prior to dinner and have always had early seating. We too, have always packed an appropriate set of clothes in our carry-ons for each of us for that "just in case scenario".

I'm not going to get into a battle over this one, just wanted to express my opinion.

Cindy ;)

I wonder if all the folks who cannot remember to pack a pair of long pants for the dining room on the first night also forget to put their bikini in their carry on so that they can have a quick dip in the pool before supper. :rolleyes:

Having said that, there are shorts and then there are 'shorts'. My youngest has a lovely pair of formal shorts which she is going to wear for the formal night. She is slim and with her first pair of heels, she will look really good, nothing at all :eek: about her outfit. I hope that we can get a photo of her in the outfit, because I love it (if only I were 30 years younger).

I wonder if all the folks who cannot remember to pack a pair of long pants for the dining room on the first night also forget to put their bikini in their carry on so that they can have a quick dip in the pool before supper. :rolleyes:

Totally two different things. My dockers and slacks go in a garment or large 28" bag and come out non-wrinkled. They would not in my typical carry-on bag. Perish the thought that I show up to dinner in wrinkled clothing lest the fashion Mossad send their finger waggers at me.

I usually wear my thong under my clothes and my wife and daughter wear the swimsuits under theirs so your comparison is completely off the hangars and immaterial.

Maybe RC could make the first night a real TOGA themed night...."Folks don't worry about what to wear tonight just grab that sheet off your bed and come hungry...the staff will replace that sheet while ya eat!"

or maybe

They can issue uniforms at the muster drill for the first nights dinner attire...:p

There is a line in Gone with the Wind that I love when Mammy says something to the effect that Rhett and Miss Scarlet are simply "Mules dressed up in horse harnesses" they can dress up but they will still be mules.

DH and I travel a lot for business and pleasure, it has predominantly been land vacations, so cruising is a bit new to us. We were on the Star Princess last year and it was so formal there were many who would not venture into the dining room at all, yet they had paid exactly what we had paid. They were there to relax and enjoy a holiday. The ship was full of people who bragged about how many cruises they had been on and on and on as though it was a competition to out cruise the next guy. The atmosphere at times was absolutely stifling. The service was quite poor and the wait staff and maitre d's mistakenly thought that being surly and at times expressionless was classy. There were rude looks from people who judged others and nasty comments made standing in line waiting to enter the dining room.

This year we went on our first RCI Cruise....the Serenade and were astonished at the difference in atmosphere. Yes there were still some of those mules who wore the horse harnesses, but it was more relaxed and the crew was friendly. We were there to have a good time and instead we had the time of our lives! We met our new friends from CC and our two table mates have become quite good friends. The crew was incredible and our adorable cabin steward Maria set up a poker game on the bed the last sea day, she used the towel animals that we had saved all week. We realized early on that we had packed too many dressy clothes that really were not necessary. Some nights I was quite overdressed by the standards set in the dining room for dinner, but no one seemed to mind at all;) In 2008 I simply must remember to bring our togas with us:D

We pack the same way every time now when we go on a cruise. Half of each of our clothes are in two large pieces of luggage, just in case one is lost. Our carryons contain money, cameras, binoculars, sandals, shorts...in short anything we may need when we arrive on the ship to be comfortable. We are coming from northern ontario and the temps when we go in Feb are usually about -20. When the plane lands we retrieve the checked luggage and take out my makeup, any lotions and potions I may need to freshen up, the shaving kit and anything else we feel may be a necessity until the luggage arrives at our cabin. We put it into our backpacks and carry it on.

What I simply do not understand is when I was on the Serenade the last thing I was looking at or cared about was what anyone else was wearing, I was so incredibly busy having a good time. We were there to relax without a care in the world after leaving our hectic lives at home. I always wonder when someone is so judgemental about others' behaviour or dress, do they turn that same mirror on themselves and wonder what others are thinking of them.

All I do ask is for those who wear their togas to the dining room, please keep your knees together when seated, if not it can be quite unsightly:eek:

Dee

...However, we are on vacation and more times than now, we are rushing for our early seating from a shore excursion. AND we deserve the dining room experience as much as anyone else, therefore we will continue to wear nice shorts when necessary to the dining room. And if guest such as one that posted above should enjoy there dinners in the private restaurants if they do not want to see shorts.

Please don't take offense if the Maitre D' asks you to leave the dining room and change your attire... it does happen...

LL

If you're driving to port, I don't see why you would need to pack clothes in a carry-on, or why you would need to worry about what to wear to dinner. Just wear something presentable when you dress in the morning, nice capris and top or slacks. It doesn't have to be dressy, just something halfway decent. You don't have to worry about the airlines losing your luggage.

Maybe RC could make the first night a real TOGA themed night...."Folks don't worry about what to wear tonight just grab that sheet off your bed and come hungry...the staff will replace that sheet while ya eat!"

or maybe

They can issue uniforms at the muster drill for the first nights dinner attire...:p

It wasn't the first night, but one of the cruises I was on had a toga night. They had green sheets available for anyone who wanted to participate and a contest after dinner for the best toga.

First, let me state that if our luggage arrives we change on the 1st night - but several times that has not occured. As far as having carryon with a change of clothes - we are subject to when the airlines arrive at the port - if early, we board the ship around 11 AM with suites not being available until about 1:30 P.M. We are already dragging valuables, cameras and computer around for 2 1/2 hours and I just do not want to carry any more bags because someone on this site thinks everyone should do what they believe is appropriate. Whem I get on the ship I always check the table in the dining room as my family likes to dine alone. At that time I always ask what the appropriate dress was for the first night and I have always been told come as you are. If I am ever told I cannot come as dressed and my luggage does not arrive by the scheduled dinner time I and my family will eat in WindJammer - but that has never occured.

Last year on the Mariner we arrived late from an excursion. It was pouring rain and dinner had already started for our seating. It just so happened it was lobster night and my husband refused to miss it. We showed up in shorts right off the tender. Noone said a word and we received the same wonderful service we've come to enjoy on RCI cruises.

There is a line in Gone with the Wind that I love when Mammy says something to the effect that Rhett and Miss Scarlet are simply "Mules dressed up in horse harnesses" they can dress up but they will still be mules.

DH and I travel a lot for business and pleasure, it has predominantly been land vacations, so cruising is a bit new to us. We were on the Star Princess last year and it was so formal there were many who would not venture into the dining room at all, yet they had paid exactly what we had paid. They were there to relax and enjoy a holiday. The ship was full of people who bragged about how many cruises they had been on and on and on as though it was a competition to out cruise the next guy. The atmosphere at times was absolutely stifling. The service was quite poor and the wait staff and maitre d's mistakenly thought that being surly and at times expressionless was classy. There were rude looks from people who judged others and nasty comments made standing in line waiting to enter the dining room.

This year we went on our first RCI Cruise....the Serenade and were astonished at the difference in atmosphere. Yes there were still some of those mules who wore the horse harnesses, but it was more relaxed and the crew was friendly. We were there to have a good time and instead we had the time of our lives! We met our new friends from CC and our two table mates have become quite good friends. The crew was incredible and our adorable cabin steward Maria set up a poker game on the bed the last sea day, she used the towel animals that we had saved all week. We realized early on that we had packed too many dressy clothes that really were not necessary. Some nights I was quite overdressed by the standards set in the dining room for dinner, but no one seemed to mind at all;) In 2008 I simply must remember to bring our togas with us:D

We pack the same way every time now when we go on a cruise. Half of each of our clothes are in two large pieces of luggage, just in case one is lost. Our carryons contain money, cameras, binoculars, sandals, shorts...in short anything we may need when we arrive on the ship to be comfortable. We are coming from northern ontario and the temps when we go in Feb are usually about -20. When the plane lands we retrieve the checked luggage and take out my makeup, any lotions and potions I may need to freshen up, the shaving kit and anything else we feel may be a necessity until the luggage arrives at our cabin. We put it into our backpacks and carry it on.

What I simply do not understand is when I was on the Serenade the last thing I was looking at or cared about was what anyone else was wearing, I was so incredibly busy having a good time. We were there to relax without a care in the world after leaving our hectic lives at home. I always wonder when someone is so judgemental about others' behaviour or dress, do they turn that same mirror on themselves and wonder what others are thinking of them.

All I do ask is for those who wear their togas to the dining room, please keep your knees together when seated, if not it can be quite unsightly:eek:

Dee

:D Well Put!

I will be in shorts the first day and probably the second day (unless its formal and in that case I will wear sweats JUST KIDDING)

Archived