How the heck do you handle the laundry situation???

cs

Okay, I'm booked on a 9 night/10 day cruise. I know that RCCL does not have self service laundry. I'm not sure how to pack - considering:

I will need 10 days worth of casual clothes.

I will need 9 nights worth of formal/semi-formal clothes.

I will need 9 nights worth of sleep clothes.

And a couple of bathing suits too.

So, do you all pack a full 9 nights/10 days worth of outfits? Or do you pack half of that and have laundry service somewhere mid trip?

One day worth of laundry for me could be -

Morning - shorts, shirt, panties, bra, socks

Mid morning swim - bathing suit

Afternoon - back into casual clothes from morning - fresh panties, bra, socks

Evening - Slacks, dress shirt, dress socks

Night - PJs

So how much would one day of laundry cost me onboard?

Would it be better to just pack, pack, and pack some more? Or should I suck it up and wear some of the clothes on another day without having them washed in between? I might be able to do that with my clothes but not my undergarments - I'd have to wash them. Should I wash them in the sink and hang them in the shower to dry?

Help - what do you do????

This is something I've never understood about women (including my wife), you wore the first set of panties, bra, socks for a couple of hours, why does the fact that you took them off mean you have to put a fresh set on?

Sleep NEKKID, eliminates already 9 nights worth of sleep clothes;)

i second that, sleeping naked saves tons of money for pj's and laundry. Remember kids, washing your body costs next to nothing vs. laundering your night outfit. second, mix and match! :) take 5 favorite shirts, take 3 pants, shorts and you're done. Take 2 formal outfits :)

I pack light - you do not need to bring your whole closet, trust me :)

What about ironing on Royal Carribean cruises.

I'll be on rhapsody of the sea.

are there ironing boards in the rooms.

someone told me I can request to have an iron brought to my room-

but they won't leave it there for any extended period of time.

I was thinking about bringing my own iron -

I just bought one on sale for $10.

figured I could just leave it there if I need room in my suitcase coming home.

I really don't mind ironing - I like to look pressed - and I'm too cheap for laundrey service. but this IS my first cruise-- so I;d appreciate any

comments / suggestions.

thanks is advance

This is from the RCCL website:

Q: Are laundry services provided?s.gifA: Self-service laundry facilities are not provided onboard our ships, but we do offer full laundry and dry cleaning services. We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

I've also seen several people post that their irons were taken away from them.

Self-Service Laundry facilities are not provided onboard any Royal Caribbean International ships; however, full laundry and dry cleaning services are provided as follows:

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Men Women

Shirt/T-Shirt: $ 2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchief: $0 .75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $1.00

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Men Women

Suit: $ 7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress: $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5.00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt: $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest: $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

Are these the current laundry / dry cleaning prices?

What about ironing on Royal Carribean cruises.

I'll be on rhapsody of the sea.

are there ironing boards in the rooms.

someone told me I can request to have an iron brought to my room-

but they won't leave it there for any extended period of time.

I was thinking about bringing my own iron -

I just bought one on sale for $10.

figured I could just leave it there if I need room in my suitcase coming home.

I really don't mind ironing - I like to look pressed - and I'm too cheap for laundrey service. but this IS my first cruise-- so I;d appreciate any

comments / suggestions.

thanks is advance

You are not allowed to bring an iron onboard and they won´t provide one for you. Irons are fire hazards and a big no no. You can bring a steamer, use their pressing service or go wrinkled.;)

And, lol, I was just kidding (JK) about hanging the laundry on the balcony. My sister suggested we do that and I gasped and said could you imagine if everybody did that?

Here's a visual for you - RCCL ship pulling in to port with full clothes lines hanging from every balcony - lol. I'm not sure that would be the picture RCCL wanted to use in their advertisements....

I recall reading a message on the Holland America board from someone who did just that - hung their laundry out to dry on the balcony on their very first cruise. Then they went off to explore the port.

When they arrived back in the cabin, their laundry had been neatly folded and place on the bed with a note from the hotel manager asking them not to hang laundry on their balcony again. :o

Happy cruising,

Susan

This is something I've never understood about women (including my wife), you wore the first set of panties, bra, socks for a couple of hours, why does the fact that you took them off mean you have to put a fresh set on?

I'm a woman, and I have to say that's a mystery to me, too. Another mystery is the idea of needing "sleep clothes".

I will need 10 days worth of casual clothes.

I will need 9 nights worth of formal/semi-formal clothes.

I will need 9 nights worth of sleep clothes.

And a couple of bathing suits too.

So, do you all pack a full 9 nights/10 days worth of outfits? Or do you pack half of that and have laundry service somewhere mid trip?

One day worth of laundry for me could be -

Morning - shorts, shirt, panties, bra, socks

Mid morning swim - bathing suit

Afternoon - back into casual clothes from morning - fresh panties, bra, socks

Evening - Slacks, dress shirt, dress socks

Night - PJs

DH is an overpacker - and often doesn't wear half of what he takes, but takes it "just in case". I am an 'underpacker'.

On the last cruise (13 nights) I took enough underwear for a week - and a couple of bras. I washed those out and hung them up in the bathroom. Tilley (a Canadian company which makes travel clothes) has underthings and socks which rinse out and will dry overnight. They are a bit pricey but worth it. They also have really nice clothing which will scrunch up in your suitcase and not wrinkle.

I wore many of the same things two or three times before washing. No one else is going to notice, seriously - and on sea days you aren't going to change that much (I hope!). There were a couple of items I dribbled food on (senior's problem, can't take myself out anywhere anymore :D) - I sent those to the laundry and the prices were quite reasonable.

You won't need formal/semiformal for every dinner night. For instance, the first day you get on the ship, your luggage might not arrive in time for dinner - ours didn't. But it was made clear on the ship that dining was *casual* that night. On a 9-nighter you will probably have two formal and two semiformal nights. The rest would be smart casual.

I rarely wore socks - most of the time it was flip flops and sandals - sometimes if we were hiking a pair of shoes with socks - but not that often.

Fran in Toronto

We had previously cruised Princess and used the self serve laundries so wondered how we would cope on RCCL. I decided we would probably manage with washing a few smalls. Little did we know for the first 5 days of our B2B we would have no luggage.:eek: Having received Pjs at the airport and a Tshirt from the ship I had no option but to wash things through each night as we only had what we were wearing plus a change of undies and spare Tshirt. The ship gave us laundry voucher for complimentary laundry of 10 items but we had so little we couldn't send anything. However once we got our luggage when we had a pile of used clothes we sent it off to be laundered free.;) As we had 3 vouchers we did this 3 times so had very little laundry to do when we got home. The clothes were all returned the same day as we sent them either on hangers or beautifully folded. Still I would rather have had our clothes from day 1.

We are very light packers. We do a combination of ship's laundry (wonderful) and washing by hand (always using shampoo). Hand laundry is washed and rinsed and is rolled into a towel, wrung as dry as possible, shook out and hung in the closet to dry. Use the hanger clips as clothespins. The wood hanger might stain a damp garmet.

The balcony is too humid, and the air is full of all those salt crystals you see on the railing and chairs?

I gotta say this...

Some of you same folks on these laundering, ironing threads are so quick to say, "Tough toodles, you don't need to iron or do laundry...who cares what you look like...you're on vacation... bla bla bla..." yet you are passionate about your traditional dining or saving pool chairs or babies in the pool....

Oh, lets not even bring up the passion around the concierge lounge....!!!:eek:

A little understanding for some of our likes or those different from your own would be nice, even if they don't mirror yours! :cool:

Steamers and irons are now being confiscated at embarkation. I have seen many passengers a little more than irritated about this, so be careful if you plan on bringing one.....you may not get it back.

As for laundry services, look at this way. You've saved and scrimped all year to take a great vacation. Do you really think that $20 for laundry is going to put you over the top?

1) Match your outfits before you pack. You'd be surprised to see how much "extra stuff" you plan on taking. Do you remember Garanimals? LOL! Just stick to the KISS plan and you'll be good to go. Take "older" undies and then throw them away when you're done! Lightens the load for the return trip. (Make sure you hide them in the garbage can though, since cabin attendants will sometimes think they belong on the dresser!:eek:

2) Formal wear can be mix and match too. The day for really frilly fancy dresses is slowly coming to an end. This doesn't mean you can't dress up, just do it much easier.

3) How many pairs of shoes do you really need?

- One walking pair of shoes

- One pair of formal shoes

- flip-flops or slides for the beach

Remember, 50 lbs is really heavy! If your one bag is 50 lbs or more, you certainly can pair down on a 7 - 10 night cruise!

We are very light packers. We do a combination of ship's laundry (wonderful) and washing by hand (always using shampoo). Hand laundry is washed and rinsed and is rolled into a towel, wrung as dry as possible, shook out and hung in the closet to dry.

I have read many threads where people are against self serve laundries. Yet they have no problem doing laundry in a sink. I hate doing wash by hand. A machine seems more convenient.

Steamers and irons are now being confiscated at embarkation. I have seen many passengers a little more than irritated about this, so be careful if you plan on bringing one.....you may not get it back.

As for laundry services, look at this way. You've saved and scrimped all year to take a great vacation. Do you really think that $20 for laundry is going to put you over the top?

1) Match your outfits before you pack. You'd be surprised to see how much "extra stuff" you plan on taking. Do you remember Garanimals? LOL! Just stick to the KISS plan and you'll be good to go. Take "older" undies and then throw them away when you're done! Lightens the load for the return trip. (Make sure you hide them in the garbage can though, since cabin attendants will sometimes think they belong on the dresser!:eek:

2) Formal wear can be mix and match too. The day for really frilly fancy dresses is slowly coming to an end. This doesn't mean you can't dress up, just do it much easier.

3) How many pairs of shoes do you really need?

- One walking pair of shoes

- One pair of formal shoes

- flip-flops or slides for the beach

Remember, 50 lbs is really heavy! If your one bag is 50 lbs or more, you certainly can pair down on a 7 - 10 night cruise!

I know you are trying to be helpful, but I'm not in need of anyone helping me pack. I carry what I want to, and although I am a bit of an over packer in some ways, I already mix and match, and I'm not a shoe person. 3-4 pair for me for the whole time is fine!

I'm not going camping! I'm going on lovely cruise line. I'm staying in a GS and although this vacation is costing us I'm not unable to pay for laundry, although I don't agree that it's reasonable. I just don't want to.

I enjoy doing my own laundry, and do not like other's doing it! :D :D :D

That seems to be hard for some to understand but I don't care. I think wearing old underwear is gross! I don't wear them at home, I throw them out! You won't catch me wearing gross clothes on my vacation.

Granted to each his own but I feel like I can say this is something I'd like to be able to do.

We travel all the time and only stay in nice hotels. I have never seen a high end hotel not offer an iron and ironing board. So the link between affording a $300 or more a night hotel and ironing my own shirt, isn't really there as far as I'm concerned. The Regency doesn't say, "You can afford to stay here, why not have us iron your shirts?" No, they just supply an iron and if you want the extra service then you pay for it.

PS in this case I'm on a 12 night cruise and I'm not flying. So I'm not worried about the airlines. Only what's ok for the cruise lines.

rsscaptain: Personally, I didn't create my post for you. I answered some of the questions of the OP. If you didn't like what I had to say, that's fine.:D

BTW, old undies don't mean "dirty" undies. Oye!

I just did realize that! My applogies.

My post stands but not directed at all to you...

LOL Oye! I like that....No I realize that...but I travel with my best not my worst.

LOL Oye....still like that.;)

Situation? There's a "laundry situation"?? :D :D :D j/k

I rinse out a few things in the sink or shower, dry them in a rolled up towel and hang them out of sight in my closet to dry. No biggie.

If they were machines on board a cruise ship, don't you think there would be an awful lot of people touching your clothes? Think of it... you most likely wouldn't be back in time to catch the end of the cycle, someone new would come in and want to use the machine, they would remove your wet or dry clothes and leave them on top while their own stuff went in. Eww.

Just gimme a sink and a bar of soap - no one touches my unmentionables but me. ;)

The Disney ships have self serve laundries. I did it once, I spent 2-3 hours one afternoon trying to get two loads of laundry done. There must of been 15 of us bonding :D in the laundry room. Of course, this was when our son was 5 and he would get everything all over him. I swore I would never do that on a cruiseship again. My .02

I love my "old undies" because they are so comfortable especially if they have holes in them. I wouldnt be able to throw them out.

Well, I hope they have holes in them, how else would you put them on ;) :D

Sorry, bad joke from my 5 year old niece :p

###

How have past Alaska cruisers packed adequately without a laundry available? You need warm (frequently bulky) clothing that simply doesn't wash/dry overnight. The cruise is for 14 days. Help!

Most of the bulky warm clothing is outerwear that you will probably not be washing - you'll be layering it with t-shirts and the like underneath. I found a pair of thermal fleece pants at LL Bean that were very thin and lightweight but really warm - then add a thermal fleece jacket or vest. Those packing bags that you roll up to squeeze the air out of work exceptionally well with this type of clothing.

We travel all the time and only stay in nice hotels. I have never seen a high end hotel not offer an iron and ironing board. So the link between affording a $300 or more a night hotel and ironing my own shirt, isn't really there as far as I'm concerned. The Regency doesn't say, "You can afford to stay here, why not have us iron your shirts?" No, they just supply an iron and if you want the extra service then you pay for it.

But you do know that nice land based hotels have magic irons that are NOT a fire hazard - unlike the irons on ships - that become weapons of mass destruction. :D :D :D

We have done longer cruises and trips. My undies (the expensive ones get washed by hand at home - so its ditto when travelling). For DH I save worn undies and pack enough for 2 each day. These get thrown out - which leaves more room for whatever we buy while on our trip. If he doesn't have enough 'oldies' I buy the buck each undies from Target or some other discounter. I will wash my undies but not his. I take his 'nylon' black socks. If the trip is less than 2 weeks I will take enough socks. Otherwise the nylon wash out and dry quickly.

If you take tops wear one for 3 hours at night and then wear it again at dinner (if dressy) or during the day (if casual). The ships are climate controlled so unless you do a lot of dancing the clothes sould pass the 'sniff it' test. I always wear bottoms more than once - I wear the 'once worn' on shore excursions - then is done or it goes to the laundry.

The big thing is - you do not have to have shoes/purse outfit matching all the time. Plan formal wear so you need one pair of shoes and purse (also usable for informal nights). All the dresses I take for formal night are now black - makes the shoes and purse issue not a problem.

But you do know that nice land based hotels have magic irons that are NOT a fire hazard - unlike the irons on ships - that become weapons of mass destruction. :D :D :D

Now that made me chuckle!...LOL Ok downright belly laugh! :D

Archived