Flying High with Air Tahiti Nui

tgh

More than 30 air hostesses and stewards from French Polynesia's international flag carrier, Air Tahiti Nui, are facing drug smuggling charges.

Police say the airlines' staff are scheduled to appear in court in Papette in September.

They say the crew were interviewed as part of an inquiry on a suspected drug trafficking ring which is believed to have been operating for the past three years, mainly between French Polynesia and the United States' city of Los Angeles.

Los Angeles is a major destination for the French Pacific company.

Police say an investigation carried out with the help of French customs in Tahiti found 33 staff are suspected of taking an active part in the importation of a variety of drugs such as ice, cocaine, marijuana and ecstasy.

They are accused of acquiring the substances while transiting in LA.

It is alleged some of the drugs were used for private consumption and some were smuggled into French Polynesia and re-sold to local dealers.

Air Tahiti Nui issued a weekend release saying the company has withdrawn the accused staff from service and initiated disciplinary measures.

Interesting story! If Air Tahiti Nui has withdrawn 30 stewards and hostesses then does that mean that those who have current upcoming flights might notice a lack of service on the plane? How can they fill that void quickly.....that's a lot of staff for the remaining crew to sub for.

Pat

I would definitely take a less good looking, but drug free and crime free, flight attendant any day.

I find it seriously disturbing that the airline has sooooo many people apparently involved. So much so that I cannot believe it is limited to flight attendants and hope that flight crew (pilots, etc.) and ground crew are clean and doing their jobs properly.

They will hire flight attendents from Air Jamaica...obviously!:D

Eric, you gave me my morning laugh! I also agree in thinking that there must be many more people involved then just in-cabin flight crew. Does not make one feel very secure knowing that the Papeete segment has a major security breech with personal that can be bought for the right dollar........I hope they do a proper investigation and round up everyone.

Pat

What about the crews on Air New Zealand, Air Pacific or any other air line flying into or through Papeete.....:confused:

Its sad....but it maybe a more common ocurrence with flight crews world wide. I hope not.:(

I expect my flight on Air Tahiti Nui to be as good as I remember. ;) In the mean time its off to Roma on Aug 5th. Flying on Continental...hope their toilets dont back up:o

We are among the few that choose not to fly ATN as we had horrible service on our 3 flights with them. We were thinking about flying with them next June because we found a decent airfare but have decided to stick with AF, paying a bit more perhaps but with better feelings for safety and service.

It's my understanding that ANZ no longer operates from LAX-PPT-AKL. If you want to fly ANZ to PPT with an ANZ crew and aircraft, you have to fly to AKL first.

I've heard that before about AF on this board but on the 15 RT AF flights we've had, we can only say that we have enjoyed nice, personable servie, good food and terrific wines.

Will go with the 15 goods vs. 3 less than acceptable that are now combined with questionable crew screening protocol.

I did several online searches and there are several news articles on this drug bust so I'm inclined to believe it's a true story........sad to say! Taken from the

New Zealand Herald

Airline staff 'in drug operation'

5:00AM Wednesday July 11, 2007

PAPEETE - More than 30 airline staff in Tahiti have been accused of helping smuggle in drugs, including hauls of cocaine allegedly picked up by cabin crew on stopovers in the United States.

Air Tahiti Nui said it had stood down a number of staff after police said they had evidence that cabin crew were involved in the drug operation.

Media reports said about 100 employees were questioned by police, with 33 due to appear in a Papeete court in September. Some of the employees allegedly bought marijuana, Ecstasy and cocaine during stopovers in the US and resold the drugs in French Polynesia. The smuggling ring is thought to have been operating for about three years.

- AAP

Archived