Casablanca

With only a few hours in Casablana on the Nov. Grand Crossing what is the best option? There is only one land tour offered. Better to take that or strike out on your own? How far from where ship is docked to downtown, marketplace etc.? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

We were on the Voyager crossing two years ago and stopped in Casablanca. Do they offer you an excursion to Rabat? We did that with the ship's tour and enjoyed it. Wanted to be sure we got back to the ship in time. We found Rabat much nicer than Casablanca and the guide was fantastic. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks for your input. Since it's my sister and I (no man to protect and look out for us) Ha, we have gone ahead and booked the tour offered by Regent. Wouldn't want to run the risk of not getting back to the ship on time and think, overall, it is the safe and prudent thing to do. And, yes, we plan on having a GREAT time.

I looked yesterday and Rabat was still on the excursion list. Frankly, I doubt that we'll be stopping in Casablanca. We had a thread on this a while back. It was cancelled on the spring crossing and some of the officers (and regular crossers) were very vocal about not wanted to go there on this crossing. Now with the latest threats, I'm fully expecting them to cancel the port.

But, if we do go there, Rabat is a good option. The time is mostly taken up by the bus ride back and forth, with no scenery but the scruffy desert. Not much to see in Rabat and we were disappointed that there was no time at all to shop for little keepsakes, but the tour was very rushed. When we got back to the ship, they were waiting to pull up the gangway. But the lunch in a very classic hotel was wonderful. We sat on couches and ate in the Moroccan style. I like Moroccan food and this was really good! We ate and ate, and drank bottles of wine, which made the ride back more tolerable!

JoAnne B

Rabat may be listed somewhere on RSSC website but not on the bookable tours for the Nov. 3 cruise, Nov. 8 being the day scheduled for Casablanca. Only tour option is "Casablanca and the Great Mosque". Guess time will tell what ultimately happens re: this port.

Greytstuff, I took a similar tour last November on our Silver Wind cruise. The excursion included a quick walk around the King's Casablanca palace, a drive by of some exclusive housing areas, the Grand Mosque, a quick drink stop at what was considered Rick's Cafe and a short shopping stop at a govt. store. The Grand Mosque was quite interesting and well worth the excursion. The ship was guarded and we were given a pass we had to return as we reboarded the ship. As we left port, we noticed that we were very close to the mosque, but not sure if it's within walking distance.

Rabat is on the Navigator crossing list. However it is a 6-hour excursion, and Navigator spends 6 hours (from 8 till 2 PM) in the port. Voyager has only a 5-hour window of opportunity according to the schedule (from 9 to 2).

I looked yesterday and Rabat was still on the excursion list. Frankly, I doubt that we'll be stopping in Casablanca. We had a thread on this a while back. It was cancelled on the spring crossing and some of the officers (and regular crossers) were very vocal about not wanted to go there on this crossing. Now with the latest threats, I'm fully expecting them to cancel the port.

JoAnne B

JoAnne,

I haven't heard/ read anything lately about "threats" regarding Casablanca. What have you heard?

Cruiseluv, if you Google "Casablance Threats" there is information about terror threats to Casablanca and Northern Africa. I really hadn't heard about it either but decided I best check up on it. Apparently there were some threats made as recently as early July. Really not a good feeling but as I said earlier, will just play it by ear. Not sure I would want to get off the cruise ship if it was being guarded.

Cruiseluv, if you Google "Casablance Threats" there is information about terror threats to Casablanca and Northern Africa. I really hadn't heard about it either but decided I best check up on it. Apparently there were some threats made as recently as early July. Really not a good feeling but as I said earlier, will just play it by ear. Not sure I would want to get off the cruise ship if it was being guarded.

Hi Greystuff,

I don't think any part of the globe is immune from something. Of course, situations are more severe in some areas. A few years ago we booked a cruise from Athens to Istanbul. Prior to our departure, there were bombings in Istanbul. We had seriously considered cancelling our trip. We discussed the pros and cons and reached the decision to go. After all, on 9/11, tragedy struck people simply going to work in the Twin Towers that day, or taking flights from one city to the next. We go about our days and never know if we will be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We took that cruise and had an incredible time in Istanbul. We never felt more safe in a foreign city.

Last night, on the news, there were reports of the serious possibility of acts of terrorism on US soil during the summer. A horrid possibility.

IMHO, life goes on and we do the best we can, each and every day, despite the possibilities.

Nyfeds, you are absolutely right, the world has become a potentially dangerous place to live in and it is essential that we continue to go about our daily routines. I also was in Istanbul (summer of 2004). Did an incredible 5 day land tour to inland Turkey before boarding the Raddison Diamond for Greek Isles and Italy. We also had a wonderful time in Turkey, the people were so nice and I not once felt unsafe. I do think it is good to keep ourselves informed of what is going on, however. We had an African Safari cancelled (I think it was in '92) because of political unrest at that time in Africa. This was a State Dept. warning and we did cancel. I plan on having a wonderful vacation and will just be very aware of my surroundings. Like that's going to help, huh?

Casablanca was not, as has been posted above, cancelled on the spring crossing. I was on the ship, and we had a private guide. In the morning we toured the Hassan Mosque and then drove to Rabat. There was really not time enough for both.

Greystuff,

Yes, we need to be aware; however, we also need to live our lives to the fullest. To live in fear is to not live at all. The site told us nothing we didn't all ready know.

We will be on your sailing. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you.

Well said, Nyfeds, that's exactly what I plan to do. Hope to meet up with you also. I think we have established earlier that you are in Orange County and I am in San Diego. We are two gals, my sister (who lives in Rancho Palos Verdes) and I, who love to have fun and have made that "our mission in life".

Yes, we are in the O.C.

When do you leave and are you flying out of LAX? We leave on Oct. 30 out of LAX. Planning a pre-stay in Nice and surrounding villages.

I like your mission in life!

Nyfeds, yes we will be leaving out of LAX but haven't received our final flight plans yet as we booked with Regent. We have 1 or possibly 2 days in Nice pre-cruise. We initially wanted to stay a couple nights at Chateau Eze but they were already booked solid. We're still trying to work out the logistics on our pre-cruise. I must say we are working with a great TA at Regent who is checking other possibilities for us. Amazing, isn't it, how far ahead you need to book to get what you want. Are you doing the crossing also. We have never done that and are really excited. Sure hope "Mother Nature" co-operates and gives us a smooth ride.

Greytstuff - we booked two nights pre in Provence, at the same hotel RSSC uses, for about half the cost. We did air with FF miles, booked a car service to take us to the hotel and then pick us up and do a tour of EZE and then to the port, and the hotel and it was quite a bit less than doing thru RSSC. The Four Seasons in Provence looks just beautiful and we are looking forward to it.

Nyfeds, yes we will be leaving out of LAX but haven't received our final flight plans yet as we booked with Regent. We have 1 or possibly 2 days in Nice pre-cruise. We initially wanted to stay a couple nights at Chateau Eze but they were already booked solid. We're still trying to work out the logistics on our pre-cruise. I must say we are working with a great TA at Regent who is checking other possibilities for us. Amazing, isn't it, how far ahead you need to book to get what you want. Are you doing the crossing also. We have never done that and are really excited. Sure hope "Mother Nature" co-operates and gives us a smooth ride.

Greystuff,

I hope everything works out well with your arrangements.

I always book my own air, using primarily FF miles. I also book my own hotel stays. I work in the hotel industry and often times I am able to take advantage of employee rates. I lucked out in Nice in a huge way. The GM of the hotel has also arranged private airport pick-up, a full day private touring of the villages and surrounding areas and transport to the ship. We are sharing transport to the ship with friends. Booking everything as far ahead as possible is very beneficial.

I agree with JoAnn. If you are willing to put in some time and research, booking on your own can save you hundreds, if not thousands, on pre and post cruise stays.

Hoping for very smoothe sailing, as we are on the full crossing, too.

JoAnn & Nyfeds: Thanks for all the good suggestions. We don't have the luxury of FF miles but will definitely look into making our own arrangements for our pre-cruise in Nice. We had considered the Four Seasons and will check that out further. Nyfeds, how nice that you have some connections for hotel arrangements, I'm sure that really cuts down on some of your expenses.

Archived