Dumb newby question Re: lifeboats.

JHCALLAHAN

Hello all,

My wife and I are set to sail on the Conquest in Sept, and I'm curious if there are really enough lifeboats to evacuate some 5000 folks (counting guests and crew)? I've never cruised so have never seen one of the lifeboats or know how many there are, but seems like it sure would take a bunch of 'em for that many people. Hopefully it will prove a totally academic question.;)

Fair winds,

JHC

Worry not! The United States Coast Guard would never allow a ship to sail from an American port if there were not sufficient lifeboats and life rafts for all passengers and crew. The round, white canisters that can be seen in photographs of ships are the life rafts and are there primarily for the crew. The passengers are expected to be taken off aboard the lifeboats.

If you have concerns or questions, after the Muster Drill is over, talk to an officer or your lifeboat commander who will be at the Drill.

Thanks. I didn't think about inflatables. I've seen pictures of the boats suspended from those crain things and just got to thinking how many of those it would take for a ship the size of the Conquest.:eek: Not worried, just curious.

Regards,

JHC

JHC, Those lifeboats hanging from the cranes are pretty big. See, a cruise ship is so large that it makes them look small. They can hold a lot of people. The larger the cruise ship, I would imagine, the larger the lifeboats and the amount of them. Oh, and.......no question is ever dumb or stupid. Please ask us whatever you want. We love to give answers. And, once you've sailed come back here and give other newbies answers.

There is also a lot of extra lifejackets in case you can not get back to your room to get yours. These extra jacks are right with the lifeboats. They also tell you that if your child is not with you because they are in Adventure Ocean (or whatever it is called on your ship0 that you meet them by the lifeboat. Staff will see that your child will get to you.

Archived