Lago Mar-Ft. Lauderdale

stoneharborlady

I promised to write a short review for those interested in Lago Mar in Ft. Lauderdale after my stay last Saturday night, so I will do it now. It is a beautiful property, and I am so glad that we stayed there. It is a bit pricey, we paid $350 for an oceanfront one bedroom, two bath suite with kitchen, but it was worth every penny. Some of the furniture was a little tired, but it was clean and bright, every amenity thought of. There are two pools, one a regular pool, and the second a lagoon type pool, really nice. The beach did not have a lifeguard, and you paid extra for the "fancy chairs and umbrellas", but the regular beach chairs were fine. The beach was clean, and had open air showers at the entrance back to the pool area, and a little grass hut with an attendant handing out hot fluffy towels. The pool bar was nice, with the option to order a nice lunch to eat in your swimsuit, (I had coconut shrimp) and they also had a beach barbeque. The buffet breakfast was twenty dollars, and was top notch, with made to order french toast, chocolate chip pancakes, and omlettes. Of course, bacon, sausage and potatoes were on the buffet, as well as fruit and yogurt parfaits and pastries. It was all you could eat, in a beautiful dining room. Lovely!! We did not have dinner there, and I was sorry we went to Outback Steakhouse instead. It was crowded, and loud, and the food was WAY over spiced. My mouth burned for hours. We got up at five in the morning, and sat out on the balcony to watch for the Caribbean Princess to come into port. She finally arrived, lit up like a Christmas tree, at six oclock, in all her glory. It took her a half an hour to finally dock, so we got to feast our eyes on her for a bit. There were several people on the beach, who went the half block down the beach to see her into the Port. The conceirge had a cab waiting to take us to the port in the morning. Loved every second of our stay at this lovely hotel, and will definitely return, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for more than a cheap overnight stay. This is definitely more than a hotel, it is a resort. I didnt mention the lovely gift shop, or the soda fountain shop, which also sold other snacks. The staff is very friendly, very polite, and go out of their way for you. I came home last night to find a very nice email from them thanking me for choosing to stay there. Dont think many could possibly be unhappy with this choice of hotel. I would be happy to answer any questions I may have forgotten to cover.

Karen

Hi Karen, was there any mention of this resort changing hands and being torn down, apparently Ritz-Carlton has been trying to aquire the property, and some sources say it is a done deal. Hope they are still Lago-Mar next March.

Thanks for the great review, Ev.

Hi Karen, was there any mention of this resort changing hands and being torn down, apparently Ritz-Carlton has been trying to aquire the property, and some sources say it is a done deal. Hope they are still Lago-Mar next March.

Thanks for the great review, Ev.

I did ask some of the employees, and their impression was that it is far from a done deal. One felt that the family would never give up control, even if a deal was made. Dont know what will happen, but I think it would be a real shame. There are very few family owned businesses of this caliber. It is a fine resort. I hope that you get to enjoy it. Karen

Archived