Another Luxury Line Bans Smoking Inside

Peter Deilmann Cruises has just announced it has banned smoking in all inside areas of its river ships commencing in 2008. It seems that, like it or not, the luxury lines are falling in line with the land-based venues and that they are doing it well in advance of the new SOLAS regulations.

It is my hunch that Regent is just a little bit ahead of some of the other lines on this issue, so those who are "smoking dependent" may need to modify their outlook as changes roll in for 2008 and 2009 throughout the cruise industry. (This is just the next step from the restrictions that were implemented pretty much industry wide a few years ago.)

This may be especially hard on older cruisers, but I think it is the cruiser, not the cruise lines, that are going to have to change considering this trend. I am very confident that the focus is more on shaping the future of cruising, not in maintaining any "bad" habits of the past, so complaining isn't going to help. Heck, if they effectively can stop New Yorkers and the Irish from smoking in bars/pubs, they can stop it pretty much anywhere

Note: I am intentionally not taking sides on the issue, just reporting the info and my perception of the future.

Peter Deilmann Cruises has just announced it has banned smoking in all inside areas of its river ships commencing in 2008.

Actually, I don't know of any river cruises that permit smoking in the cabins, halls, or restaurants. Most only allow it on the open sun decks and/or a designated section of the lounge. Even the French lines...go figure...:rolleyes:

Peter Deilmann Cruises has just announced it has banned smoking in all inside areas of its river ships commencing in 2008. ..........

The Deutschland, their one ocean cruise ship, allows smoking in one small section of the dining rooms, the Emporers Ball Room and other lounges. There is no smoking in the cabins or corridors.

J

We are sailing on the Katerina von Bora Prague-Potsdam in late September. My only regret is that the non smoking policy will not come into effect until 2008!! On another river cruise we took we found that the smoking area in the lounge was larger than the non smoking one, and that we got gassed everytime we were in the lounge!! Hopefully Deilman will only have one "smoking" table in the lounge!!:(

The Deutschland, their one ocean cruise ship, allows smoking in one small section of the dining rooms, the Emporers Ball Room and other lounges. There is no smoking in the cabins or corridors.

J

From what I read this ban is total commencing the end of the year.

This is good news indeed. I have always wanted to do a river cruise, but the thing that held me back was that I feared there would be a lot of smoking on board given that the ships are European run.

From what I read this ban is total commencing the end of the year.

My info, from Ted Tym at Deilman Cruises, is that it is in effect now, but I may have lost something in translation.

J

Here is Royal Caribbean's announcement of today:

Effective January 2008 Royal Caribbean is increasing smoke-free zones by designating all staterooms and one lounge on each ship in its fleet as non-smoking areas. The new policy will go into effect aboard 18 of the line's 21 ships initially, with Legend of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas following suit with the 2008 summer season.

Smoking will, however, be permitted on the balconies.

Archived