One more question on tipping!

I do not mind tipping. In fact I always tip extra so this is not a complaint. January 2008, I will be sailing on the Voyager of the Seas in a Grand Suite (thanks to a nice income tax refund from Uncle Sam). I know that the (Grand) Suite Attendant gets $5.75 a day per person. The Waiter gets $3.50, Assistant Waiter gets $2.00 and the Headwaiter gets .75. BUT how much does the "assistant" suite attendant gets? I've only been on two cruises, Carnival Conquest (September 2005) and Norwegian SUN (January 2007) and I noticed that they have one person to clean the room (vaccum, make the bed, turn down the beds, etc) and another person to clean the bathroom. How much do I tip the person that cleans the bathroom? I've checked several web-sites, including Royal Caribbean's, and this poor person that has to clean a bathroom :eek: (of all things) just isn't mentioned. Anyone out there knows the answer to this simple but long-winded question?

There is no "assistant" on RCI--if there was, you would have a "tip schedule" for them!

I hope you only tip extra when the service warrants it! We will overtip for exceptional service, but not for poor service (which we have only gotten 1 time on Royal)

Thanks and good to know that there is no assistant cabin steward on Royal Caribbean. I just thought that whoever posted the tip schedule accidently left that part off.

Beside the reccommended tip, my sister and I always leaves one gold coin each night on our pillows when someone comes to turn down our beds. That small extra coin always seem to get us better than average service. Then at the end of the cruise if the service was exceptionally good we will leave extra coins.

I am still new to cruising so what seems like a silly question to veteran cruisers is still something us newbies would like to know before to walk up that gang plank.

Thanks to all of you who have been kind enough to answer my questions or concerns in my previous posts. Even though we might not always say it us newbies do appreciate it. :)

There is no "assistant" on RCI--if there was, you would have a "tip schedule" for them!

I hope you only tip extra when the service warrants it! We will overtip for exceptional service, but not for poor service (which we have only gotten 1 time on Royal)

Actually some cabin stewards do indeed have assistants. In that case the cabin steward pays the assistant a certain amount from the total you give your cabin steward. It is up to the cabin steward whether or not he wants to hire his or her own assistant.

What you are saying isn't necessarily true. Many cabin stewards/suite attendants do HIRE assistants. They are paid by the cabin steward. It is not an additional charge to the guest, but we have had assistants handle some of the cleaning several times.

As far as tipping extra, that is up to the individual. To me what is extra, might be "expected" to you. I agree with not tipping extra for poor service, but if you ask for things all the time, IE, extra ice twice a day, extra towels twice daily etc. that is something that is NOT expected, it does warrant an additional tip, at least as far as I am concerned.

But then again, we tip extra at Portofino/Chops and we know there are others who feel everything/anything is "expected."

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived