Is this another hidden cost???

alyoop11

I've read that Princess has a shuttle from the airport to the port where the ship will be embarking. Is this complimentary? If not, how much does it cost? It would also be helpful if anyone could provide a link to the Princess website commenting on this, I can't seem to find it on their site.

*Question is specifically asked for Venice, Italy: from the airport to the port of embarkation if that makes any difference. Thanks!!

It depends on your booking.

If you booked the air through Princess as well as the cruise, the transfer will be included.

If you booked your flights elsewhere, the transfer will be charged for.

I'm not sure how you can call this a hidden extra though...

There is a transfer fee, but I don't remember how much it is. For a city like Venice, I think it would be to your advantage to book your transfers with Princess. Venice can be pricey when it comes to getting around and with a bunch of luggage it could be cumbersome.

If you were asking about Barcelona, or a US city like FLL, I would say to grab a cab. I think you'd be better off with Princess on this one.

Shuttles are not complimentary; but if you purchased a Princess overnight package, shuttles are part of the package.

Shuttle transfers are separate from the cruise air cost, but your TA would normally book them if you purchased cruise air.

From Venice; transfers are $55 per person. Many people just take local transportation. Here is a link to a thread with that discussion and the transportation options (cheapest is 3 Euro bus ride)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=593353

Princess is not in charge of getting you to the port, so any fee associated with getting to the port shouldn't be considered a "hidden" fee. (if you buy their air, I'm sure they include that transfer cost in there somehow:rolleyes: )

If you booked the air through Princess as well as the cruise, the transfer will be included.

Actually Princess prices these as separate items; as I noted above, most Travel Agents will automatically include the transfer if you book the air, but Princess allows you the choice to include them or not.

We had the Princess transfers from the airport to the port in Venice. It was something of a mass confusion. We got a lot of different directions from a lot of different people, walked a while, waited a while, walked a while, waited a while, walked the other way -- finally got on the bus, but left a bunch of people waiting for the next one. Arrived at the port for a chaotic departure situation. BUT -- this is Italy! Nothing much gets done without a lot of waving of hands, talking back and forth, and sudden decisions!

I frankly think that trying to negotiate the Italian ambiance by ourselves would have been even more harrowing! The Princess transfers eventually worked, and our bags showed up where they were supposed to be. The airport is confusing, the port is confusing, and negotiating between them on our own would have been vastly confusing!

In Venice, unless you are really adventurous souls, I do recommend the Princess transfers, as the simplest way.

It's not a "hidden cost," it is an additional service, that would not reasonably be included in the cruise fare, which is needed by some passengers and not by others. It is provided for passengers as a convenience at a reasonable charge.

Have a GREAT cruise!

The transfers are an option that can be added and price depends on the city - but they usually run about $30 pp. They are not free if you book Princess air and cruise but are added on the price and you have the option of removing them if you want to.

We just did this with the TP for August - it does look like they are 'included for free' but they are not and your bill is deducted if you remove them and opt to take care of your own transportaiton.

Depending on the port - sometimes they are a good deal and other times you can make your own transportation cheaper. But I don't really consider it a hidden charge - you have to get to and from the airport somehow and that is kind of on your own dime.

Good luck:confused:

Archived