Bedspread/Comforter Cooties

Leo Jay

What Do You Do About Your Bedspread and Comforter?  

324 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Do About Your Bedspread and Comforter?

• We use them as is and don't worry about it
    • We bring a bedspread covers and/or comforter covers from home
    • We take them off the bed and don't use them at all
    • Other

I understand that even in the most upscale hotels, bedspreads are often not cleaned between guests, and it seems almost everyone (except me) has seen one of those TV exposes where some journalist takes a black light to a hotel bedspread and discovers all kinds of 'mystery' stains.

I can't imagine they have the capacity to clean every comforter between cruises either (unless they all have covers?), so what do YOU do?

Hum ours was pure white with a yellow light blanket folded on the end of the bed. I did not see and nastys on ours and i felt it was changed our after each guest. Our room was very clean our stewart was so great she was on top of everything and a great crew working with her .

The carpet was very nice and clean so i would not worry and if there was a problem call the stewart and ask for new linen they will come fit what ever your not pleased with.

My co-worker does not bring a bedspread with her but she does bring her own sheets AND cleaners for the bathroom, which she scrubs furiously before using.

As for me I would just rather not think about it. I'm on vacation, I'm not changing sheets OR cleaning bathrooms!!!

When we sailed the Conqest, our floor was one of the last called. We had to

go back to the cabin because DH left something in the room. There were people everywhere changing sheets and cleaning the cabins. The one thing I noticed was there were piles of sheets but not the comforters

Yup! I watched them put the same comforter back on the bed.

takes a black light to a hotel bedspread and discovers all kinds of 'mystery' stains.

Must be related to a certain CC poster.:rolleyes:

I understand that even in the most upscale hotels, bedspreads are often not cleaned between guests, and it seems almost everyone (except me) has seen one of those TV exposes where some journalist takes a black light to a hotel bedspread and discovers all kinds of 'mystery' stains.

I can't imagine they have the capacity to clean every comforter between cruises either (unless they all have covers?), so what do YOU do?

In your case I would recommend just staying at home

I usually leave them on the bed but fold them in half over the foot, keeping it away from faces/arms. They are a little heavy for us anyway.

I agree, don't need them, they're too heavy. We fold them down to the foot of the bed. Normally they wind up on the floor every morning. If I'm not warm enough with just the top sheet, I turn the air down a little. There's no way I'm having the comforter/bedspread on me.

Paranoia set in from reading these boards, also has me checking the mattresses in all hotels and cruise ships now for bed bugs. I'm happy to report that I've yet to find any. ;)

The duvets/comforters on the beds have covers! My husband dribbled coffee on the edge of ours one morning. The room stward changed it. When we got into our cabin on the first day our duvet looked fresh but after we used it a few days you could tell it had been used. The covers are much like a sheet the duvet goes inside. I doubt they ever wash the actual duvet since most are not meant to be washed. I'll be sleeping all snuggled under the covers in 2 weeks and 1 night :) Can't wait :)

We just got back from Ecstasy yesterday. My only problem with the comforter and beds is that they are so comfortable, I didn't want to get up in the morning. On the other 2 cruises I have taken, sleep was my last priority. Now Carnival has gone and ruined that with these great beds. Last night, I looked up what it would cost to get the duvet, and they sell both the comforter and the cover.

I must be living the good life, because I have slept in many hotels throughout the world as well as 3 cruise ships, and I have escaped all of them unscathed!:D

this is just one of those threads that you shldn't even think about. it may end up freaking you out when there is no need.

Just bring a bottle of luminol and a blacklight.

YUCK!

One time I was on the road and had to stop in Gainesville. It was a football weekend and the only room available was at an Econo Lodge. I got chiggers from that stupid room and could only assume it was from the blanket on the bed. NASTY!!:mad:

After seeing those reports, I just fold the comforter down to the end of bed on cruise and in hotels, ask room stewart/chamber maid to leave it folded at the bottom, and don't think about it any further.

No problems so far.

This thread is hilarious.:D Kind of reminds me of all the threads about preventing Noro virus - all those posts about bbringing disenfesting wipes, don't touch hand rails, sterlize your room, your body, your DH or DW and anyone and anything around you for a 20-yd radius aboard ship.

Have never realy worried about the comforters on the ship - or in hotels - for years as they are a lot cleaner than the bed spreads used in most hotels I stayed in when I first started traveling some 40 years ago.:eek:

If your spastic about left overs on your bed spread, just tell the room steward to remove them from your cabin when you board. Bring your own sheets and pillow cases and don't forget the mattress. Who knows what lurks within those coil springs and padding?

Note to self: Next time I answer a ``What should I pack'' question, add bubble suit for night wear if you are skitsy about the bedding.

Dianne

first thing I do where ever I travel is pull the bed covers off, fold them up neatly and store out of the way. I do happen to pack my own sheet set. All it took was one nasty chemical burn from a blanket that was cleaned in goodness only knows, to make the room in my suitcase for the sheets. Even in the instance where I received that burn, I thought I had the sheet pulled up over the edge of the blanket. Apparently in my sleep I curl the blanket up under my chin. I Still have the scar that show every place that blanket touched my skin.

The first few days I leave a note requesting the bed not be made up.

Can I just say Paranoia!! in Europe they have been using duvets forever and its very different to Comforters which have there one time sewed on cover that we have here in the states. Duvets always have covers that are like sheets and can be washed and I have about 5 covers for mine at home and I don't use sheets at all, so I will be snuggling down in mine :D Oops I do use a bottom sheet but not a top one!! hehehe

Archived