Bedspread/Comforter Cooties

Leo Jay

What Do You Do About Your Bedspread and Comforter?  

324 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Do About Your Bedspread and Comforter?

• We use them as is and don't worry about it
    • We bring a bedspread covers and/or comforter covers from home
    • We take them off the bed and don't use them at all
    • Other

I've never traveled with my own extra set of linens. I do usually travel with my own pillow just because sometimes the ones they have are too firm or too soft so I prefer just to bring my own.

I do, however, bring a can of Lysol spray. I spray down the bathroom and door knobs just because I know that there are a ton of people out there who do not (for who knows what reason!!) wash their hands after using the bathroom. That totally grosses me out as it is very unsanitary. :eek:

I TRY not to think about it...lol. :p

I read a study in Conde Nast Traveler mag a few months ago about this and they divided up the hotel rooms on budget/medium/luxury and they said that although the luxury ones WERE cleaner they still had loads of germs.

And what was funny is they named the Mandarin Oriental as a luxury hotel that has a super steralizing program. And at the time, our next hotel booking was AT the Mandarin. So I felt a little better there...lol.

I am a certified germaphobe so I won't EVER book any budget hotels cause the thought just seriously icks me out.

But I don't remove the comforters off the beds on a cruise either. I just don't wanna think about it.

YUCK!

One time I was on the road and had to stop in Gainesville. It was a football weekend and the only room available was at an Econo Lodge. I got chiggers from that stupid room and could only assume it was from the blanket on the bed. NASTY!!:mad:

Maybe the chiggers were bed bugs. Bed bugs are blood feeders and bites become inflamed. I don't know which would be worse. Mystery stains is sure a politically correct word.:eek:

We were in and out of our cabin the last day. They had the duvet covers on the floor and waiting to put on new ones. I've even seen extras in our closets. I feel better on a cruise ship with the duvet covers than I do in a hotel. I never let them touch me, but enjoy the duvets on the ship.

I'm with you Michele....I try not to think about it. :D We can only hope that they do change the duvet covers in between sailings.

Ignorance is bliss :D ;)

EDITED TO SAY:

You know what though, NOW that I am thinking about it...when we got into our cabin on Elation there were fresh blood stains on the comforters (they were red, not brown and not washed yet)

So I was just telling myself that the cabin steward might have had a cut on his finger when he changed the comforter. But maybe not?

He of course changed them right away when I pointed it out....but now I just really feel icky...lol.

Trying not to think about it, I am putting my head back in the sand ;)

Maybe the chiggers were bed bugs. Bed bugs are blood feeders and bites become inflamed. I don't know which would be worse. Mystery stains is sure a politically correct word.:eek:

You know about 2 years ago or so there were a few upscale hotels here in NYC that had bedbugs. :eek: I don't remember which ones exactly but I do believe one was a Helmsley. :rolleyes:

I TRY not to think about it...lol. :p

I read a study in Conde Nast Traveler mag a few months ago about this and they divided up the hotel rooms on budget/medium/luxury and they said that although the luxury ones WERE cleaner they still had loads of germs.

And what was funny is they named the Mandarin Oriental as a luxury hotel that has a super steralizing program. And at the time, our next hotel booking was AT the Mandarin. So I felt a little better there...lol.

I am a certified germaphobe so I won't EVER book any budget hotels cause the thought just seriously icks me out.

But I don't remove the comforters off the beds on a cruise either. I just don't wanna think about it.

You wont book a budget hotel but will book a budget cruise. Doesn't make sense to me

You wont book a budget hotel but will book a budget cruise. Doesn't make sense to me

I don't book budget hotels either, but thats because mostly when I stay at hotels my company is paying for it!!! Have had to stay occasionally at a cheaper hotel but not often, crusing cheap? well depends on the company you prefer ;) I am taking a first cruise age 42 and looking for a fun crowd not moany old people!!! Just kidding :D well a little.

I had to vote other. I am totally grossed out by comforters and blankets on beds in hotels and cruise ships alike. When traveling by car to hotels, I always take my own comforters, which I place on the beds instead of the hotel blankets and comforters. When flying and when cruising, I am very careful with the blankets. I usually pull the top sheet up a bit and fold it down over the top edge of the blanket and try to keep it that way... sort of a shield. I usually take the comforter off or fold it to the bottom of the bed. I know that for some my attitude is extreme, but we used to run a small 14 room hotel and I know how dirty people can be and, yes, they only wash the blankets and bedspreads sometimes.:eek: The sheets are washed and disinfected, so, presumably, clean. And please don't even get me started on checking for bedbugs.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mikel1733...Chigger bites are from a tiny black bug that look like a very small speck of pepper. If you are outdoors in the fields or woods you sure can get chigger bites. Even sometimes just being out in your lawn or in a park will get you chigger bites. But as Sandi149 said, if you were not walking in a grassy area and were bitten in your room it was probably bed bugs. I can't say about bed bug bites, but chigger bites itch like the dickens.

I just can't worry about a comforter because if I did that I would also have to worry about bed bugs, what is inside a hot dog, the sanitation of the buffet line, the chef, grill/fry cook or waiter's unsanitary health habits like sniff, sniff and did they forget to wash their hands the last time they used the restroom? I would probably turn into a "Howard Hughes" recluse myself. Afraid to enjoy life.

Take precautions...certainly! Worry...never!

Before I would worry about the comforter in my cabin I would worry about the food being served while off the ship and in a foreign port.

As I told the guys when I was in the service and overseas and they were going on liberty. "Always be aware of your surroundings, but have a great liberty!"

Don

Well it depends on HOW you look at it. I am traveling with a group of friends with kids who don't have the same budget that I do. If you saw my signature enough to see that I am booked on Sensation next month then you can also see that I am booked in a Penthouse suite on Sensation. I wanted to sail with my friends and this was the ONLY way they could swing cruising with me is if I booked a cheaper cruise. So they take inside rooms, I take a suite, everyone is happy.

And we just sailed the Freedom of the Seas in a Grand Suite 2 months ago...so I don't feel like I am a "budget cruiser"

Maybe that makes more sense to you now?

When I first get into my cabin or hotel room I wipe everything down with the Lysol wipes but then after that I don't do anymore cleaning. Just straightening up cause I can't stand when my husband or sons leave things around. Everything has to be in it's place. I cannot stand clutter. :p

i travel alot and have seen the specials about the creepy crawly things in bedspreads.

1st Thing I do is get the darn thing off the bed, throw it in a pile somewhere and let the room steward know I do not want it back.

We only use the blankets and sheets. (those have been washed)!!

I want to know who has room to pack a bedspread or comforter in their luggage! :D

That was my first thought on reading this poll. Lord knows I have enough to pack already, I'm *not* going to throw in a bulky bedspread on top of it. :D

Besides, if I check in somewhere and there's ... <kof> 'other people's business' on top of the bedspread, I'll follow up with housekeeping and make them change it out. Otherwise, I don't worry about it. Too many other things in life to be concerned about than ficticious 'cooties' :rolleyes:

YUCK!

One time I was on the road and had to stop in Gainesville. It was a football weekend and the only room available was at an Econo Lodge. I got chiggers from that stupid room and could only assume it was from the blanket on the bed. NASTY!!:mad:

The correct term is arachnoid americans.

Archived