2 pair jeans

1 swim suit

8 golf shirts

4 dress shirts

4 pair slacks

4 pair shoes (2 dress/2 walking/tennis)

jacket

gloves

Do ya'll use the ship's laundry for a week long cruise? We haven't even gotten to Ms. Flagger's.

The baby's is all but done.

Are you flying flagger? Watch the weight of those bags or you'll be charged for being over the limit. Shoes are very heavy, only one pair of walking and use them for tennis too. Take one dress shirt and have it laundered for a couple of bucks. Just my opinion, have learned to pack light since I don't wear half the clothes I end up bringing.

Well the idea is that some of the dress shirts can be worn the next day while in port since it is all about layering in Alaska anyway. Also I want to pair of walking/tennis in case one gets wet. (We are expecting it to rain everyday) I could though only pack one pair of dress shoes.

I think I could wear fuzzy slippers to dinner and no one is gonna really see.

I have shoes with the tux so no need there.

Hi flagger!

This is just for me which accounts for two days pre-cruise in Vancouver
You're never going to wear all that in two days, even if the weather's a bit chilly in Vancouver;)

We plan to use the laundry when we go in November. I have always been pleased with the results and it does save on the space. I suppose we are flying Transatlantic which makes a bit of difference, but if I were you I would think light and get things cleaned whilst on board. No one will notice if you wear your favourites a couple of times.

You can always take some Travel Wash and take care of the smalls in the cabin, although that really isn't the bulk of what you need.

Here's a link to the prices, if you don't already have:

http://www.celebrity.com/prepare/faq/answer.asp?s=CBBC417130&sid=76&fid=365

Phil

#1 report.gif

post_new.gif Today, 12:19 PM

image.php?u=12449&dateline=1088053796 vbmenu_register("postmenu_1870530", true);

12 underwear

14 t-shirts

10 white socks

7 coloured socks

1 sport coat

2 pair jeans

1 swim suit

8 golf shirts

4 dress shirts

4 pair slacks

4 pair shoes (2 dress/2 walking/tennis)

jacket

gloves

Flagger...this is for 9-10 days?.....you are going to do everythign casual? Thought I remembered you said you are renting a tux? If all true.....lose 1 pair of dress shoes, take 1 pair of walking OR tennis shoes and wear a pair of hiking waterproof type boots both there and back. take 2 pair slacks and 2 dress shirts.....6 golf shirts is plenty and 8-10 tops on the t-shirts. ALso, whats with all the socks?.........well that's about what I would do for what it's worth..have fun. seems like you have been waiting forever!

I once cautioned a friend preparing for a trip to London not to overpack.

Lay everything you are thinking of taking out on the bed, I advised her. Then put half of it back.

So she did. She put all her stuff in the suitcase, and left all her husband's shirts on the bed.

They had to go shopping first day.

So beware what you put back.

love

joan

Flagger...this is for 9-10 days?.....you are going to do everythign casual?
No, but I cannot get a clear answer on the number of casual nights and informal nights. I know there are two formal (that is covered by the tux rental). People reported earlier on the Summit there were no informal nights at all (despite what the official line is).

From what I have read collared/golf type shirts are fine at casual dinner.

I just cannot wear white socks to dinner, so I want a change of socks. Also, we are expecting it to rain everyday (we might get lucky). I would rather be prepared overly with dry socks and skiivies than anything else. I also sweat quite a bit even when it is cool so that is why all of the t-shirts (I mean them as undershirts).

Thanks for the tip about wearing the hiking boots though DFW almost always requires you to remove your shoes through security so that would be quite a pain. Also they weigh a ton and many people who went to Alaska say they never needed them.

Hi Flagger! I'm on Infinity the week before you and I've been going over my packing list also. You might be able to cut back on a few of the t-shirts and golf shirts, and one pair of dress shoes, assuming that the pair you take will go with all your evening clothes. You might consider wearing the heaviest and/or bulkiest pair of shoes on the plane (if you're flying), to take up less space in your checked luggage. Oh, and just make sure that the fuzzy slippers go with what you have on that evening....you wouldn't want to clash, now would you! ;)

And a note for Mrs. Flagger....(she may have already thought of this, but I had to read it in a packing book!)...Pick the evening clothes with a color scheme in mind so she can mix and match. Many people choose black, but when I started looking in my closet, I realized that I hand an overwhelming majority of navy blue colored clothes. I'm packing tops that can be mixed with different slacks, but all of the tops will go with navy blue. That way, I only have to take one pair of blue dress shoes. The last time, I had way too many shoes!

I'm probably overdoing it in the light jacket department, as I'm planning on taking two. But I want a dry jacket to wear if one gets wet on an excursion. Same with walking shoes. I'm only taking two pullover sweatshirts, as I plan to buy more when I'm in Ketchikan and Juneau.

I'm sure I'll be overpacking, no matter how economical I try to be. Oh well!

I was thinking of maybe doing the ships Laundry, but I just get weirded out with the thought of other people handling my underthings.

We did do lots of mix and matching of clothes and ties (gasp!!!) before sending things out to the cleaners. I ended up getting a couple of more pairs of dockers types slacks today in black and a colour called putty. They are also a little bigger in the waistline since I have not exactly been keeping up with my walking in this DFW heat.

Our jackets were made for an oil field services company that has a contract on the pipeline. They have an outer shell with a hood and an inner removable down jacket. We are just going to bring the outer shells because I don't think the weather will be quite cold enough yet and these are totally water resistant/proof and are great windbreakers.

I think your list looks good:)

I have used the laundry service and it was excellent, the first day I dropped a cherry from my drink right on to my white pants. I thought they were gonners..but good as new and returned the next morning!

As far as weight restrictions on luggage...check with your carrier. We just flew Delta last month and the limit is 70 lbs per bag. I always weigh my bags too. I overpack as well because I just cannot plan out daily outfits when packing...I never know what mood I will be in I may not want to wear that!

I look at it this way...take everything you want, don't do without, what's the big deal anyway if you do overpack...a few extra minutes to unpack/repack it? I am all for overpacking and having choices:) Hey on my last cruise I brought 22 pairs of shoes and wore every single pair! I have a suitcase just for our shoes:)

Flagger, hi......and my packing is from the other end of the spectrum...Kathleen brings 22 pair of shoes......I try to bring 6 pairs for the week.

And I pack just for me.....no hubby, child, or SO.....I do plan my outfits....so we all pack differently. I bring one outfit for each night...and then one extra which is usually an extra pair of nice black slacks with a pretty top....(just in case).

But I am not an overpacker and never have been. What I bring is what I end up wearing...and in the end I have never thought "oh I wish I had brought such and such with me".

You and your wife and little girl should be fine:).

Flagger...I would take less golf shirts and consider a pull over sweater or sweatshirt. People need to consider that you are going to AK and it will be Sept. The weather can change in a heartbeat. I was very grateful to be layering. Sometimes a jacket is too much but a shirt and sweater are perfect. Other times you are glad to have everything. Don't know whether you mentioned a hat...but take one! Have a great cruise!!!!

Just a suggestion---take 2 pairs lightweight(nylon) black dress socks---wash them in the sink with some shampoo at night. They make nylon undies for men that dry overnight, so you don't have to take so many pairs. Everyone always kids me because I'll take 3 pairs of undies for 2 weeks , but take 8 pairs of shoes! On my last cruise on the Mercury, I sent a pair of white slacks to the laundry and they came back the next day with the button at the waist broken.

We flew United and there is a 50 lb. limit for each bag. It you are taking a garment bag, stuff heavy things (like shoes) in the pockets---it's pretty hard to get those things to weigh 50 lbs even with the clothing.

Anne

FLagger,

If you are flying into Vancouver it is considered an international flight usually with a higher weight limit. Check with your airlines but weight limit should be increased to 70lbs. I also suggest wearing your heaviest shoes. Don't forget ponchos/raincoat and binoculars!

just stopped back here and I second the sweatshirt....although I just thought of something, we were there last September 6th-13th and it being the second to last cruise up there a lot of the store had some great sales, you could pick up a sweatshirt there?................oh and dress shoes? does the tux come with them (some do).

I rented shoes with the Tux.

Kycruisers - Am flying America West, Canada is considered domestic and their weight limit is 50 pounds. Honestly we have packed it all where were did carry-ons for two weeks and just did laundry (ourselves).

Flagger,

Don't listen to the comments from all the females. They will definitely have you overpacked. :eek:

I am not a denim fan so I would add a pairs of dockers and delete a pair of jeans. No need for extra dress trousers over and above the pair(s) required for the two semiformal (not casual) nights. For a seven night cruise, I think you will have two formal nights, two semiformal nights, a semiformal high tea and three casual nights. I think you could cut back on underwear, tee shirts, socks and golf shirts by one or two in each category.

Here are a few things I would take; belts for all the trousers, ties for the semiformal nights, PJ's (in case you order breakfast in the cabin), one pair of bermuda shorts (you never know), something for the gym (shorts and a tee), a sweatshirt, a light sweater that would work for dinner over a casual shirt and plastic raingear (coat and pants that come in a bag for $10 to $20 at a sporting goods store and your favorite baseball cap. If you have space, a warmup suit would be nice.

Have A Great Cruise!

Les

Hi again:)

Quote by Les

"Don't listen to the comments from all the females. They will definitely have you overpacked." :eek:

Les...re-read my post.....:rolleyes: .....I told him I never overpack:D ....thinking I am a female.....yes, yes, definitely female. And not an overpacker;)

flag.since you rented the shoes you only need take 1 dress pair....actually if it was me i wouldn't take any "dress" shoes but I have a very nice pair of br brush suede that go very well with my slacks/jacket/tie night.....these also can be worn for a casual evening................whatever, it works for me.......and I second it....................do not listen to the ladies...OK, except Lois.

Hey Flag!

I must say--I am impressed that you're renting a tux! ;) I figured you were teasing with all that jeans & eating in your room!!! :D

You will have a GREAT cruise! Enjoy! Can't wait to read your review. :D

Archived