Emerald Princess - no children's pools

jagshaw

The water temp was not bad two weeks ago in the Caribbean. But I only went into it once. Was too hard to get in and out of.

That's good news. Maybe in early October the water will be warmer than it is in January.

At 57, my bones are not as young as they used to be ;) . I recall having a little difficulty getting up and down that ladder but it might be worth the effort.

Chris

Well whatever info she was trying to give got pushed aside in the frenzy to make fun of taking kids on cruises. Believe me most of the so called jokers are quite serious in their dislike of children cruising. It would be like making fun of all the powder blue sweat suits in the dining room of The Sun.;)

Kids have never been an issue on our cruises it is the mean spirited rude old folks who have forgotten what it was like to be a child or have children.

Serious question...can children in swim diapers go in the splash pools in children's areas on the ships, or do they have to be potty trained to go in them? I've often wondered about that.

I'm luckily way passed this stage with my kids but I think they are supposed to be potty trained. I know on DCL they need to be out of swim diapers to use the pool so would guess all cruise lines follow the same rules.

Kids have never been an issue on our cruises it is the mean spirited rude old folks who have forgotten what it was like to be a child or have children.

Why is is required that everyone love kids? I try to be pleasant in my postings (my first posting on this thread was asking a legitimate question--is the pool that is advertised as a splash pool on the Princess actually existant) I understand that everyone gets grumpy over things now and then--that's the nature of cyberspace. But people telling me I have to like kids if I want to cruise is about as ridiculous as other people talking about throwing them overboard....

that I appreciated on my first Princess cruise (this past month) was the yellow jacketed security that watched for kids that were running around. That said we had 5 sea days on our cruise and it was apparent when the kids clubs closed down - and I personally - didn't like it. I have a daughter and we have been on numerous cruises together (Disney) and I didn't see as many kids running around on my Disney cruises because they have specific areas where children are not allowed and they mean business :) I like the separation! On Princess, Carnival and HAL (my Cunard experience was long enough ago that I can't really remember) there were more children in adult areas then I cared for and not much was done about it! Personally, that is the parent's responsibility, unfortunately that isn't always the way it is. I did love the spa on HAL because they did keep kids out as well.

Brava!!!

The previous two years I cruised Grand Princess out of Galveston during SPRING BREAK. There were more than seven hundred youths on each cruise.

The kids were absolutely no trouble. They were well behaved, polite and there to have fun. I felt forty years younger just being in their proximity. I am serious. it was an upbeat, enervating experience being on board with so many youngsters.

Of course, there are a couple of caveats:

1) I'd previously cruised HAL a lot. It was a special treat escaping rude, pushy old folks.

2) Nearly all the kids on GP were from Texas and the immediate region. Having a proper upbringing, they were naturally well behaved.:)

We took our three-year old on an NCL cruise last April. I don't know if we're just exceptionally good parents, or our daughter is just a great kid, but people were complimenting us about how good a kid she was. We were flattered, of course. But what we couldn't quite figure out was why her behavior was such a surprise. We took her in to the main dining room and ate dinner just like anybody else would. We'd always get a lot of "looks" when we were being seated, but by the end of the meal, the same folks who were obviously concerned that their meal was about to be ruined by a little brat were the ones telling us what a wonderful daughter we have. :confused:

That was the point I was trying to make. It is like saying keep everyone over60 off the ship because they might be rude.

Why is is required that everyone love kids? I try to be pleasant in my postings (my first posting on this thread was asking a legitimate question--is the pool that is advertised as a splash pool on the Princess actually existant) I understand that everyone gets grumpy over things now and then--that's the nature of cyberspace. But people telling me I have to like kids if I want to cruise is about as ridiculous as other people talking about throwing them overboard....

I never said anyone has to like kids and wasn't refering to any specific post but so many people pre judge kids and make uncalled for comments like the ones you refer too. Everyone just needs to live and let live instead of letting kids, smokers, drinkers etc ruin there vacations.

We took our three-year old on an NCL cruise last April. I don't know if we're just exceptionally good parents, or our daughter is just a great kid, but people were complimenting us about how good a kid she was. We were flattered, of course. But what we couldn't quite figure out was why her behavior was such a surprise. We took her in to the main dining room and ate dinner just like anybody else would. We'd always get a lot of "looks" when we were being seated, but by the end of the meal, the same folks who were obviously concerned that their meal was about to be ruined by a little brat were the ones telling us what a wonderful daughter we have. :confused:

Same here, we have been on 18 hour flights where people have complained and given us looks because of the kids and then complimented them on being so well behaved. It is the preconceived ideas people have.

Our worst cruise was on Carnival Glory as there were so many loud obnoxious adults drinking around the pool you couldn't relax and enjoy yourselves while the kids were never a problem. I personnaly would rather have 800 kids than 800 rude obnoxious adults. JMO

Back to the original OP...there is no children's pool on the Emerald. The "Chill Out" pool on the Sports Deck of the Emerald (center aft by the youth center) is about 5 ft deep and was as warm as the other pools when we were on board a month ago. The oval pool to the starboard is a hot tub. On the port side is a tricycle track and play area for the youth center. And for the other poster who asked, I believe the rule is absolutely no swim diapers in any of the Princess pools. Hope this helps.

Why would they make a "splash pool" 5 feet deep? I never go up there, so I always assumed what they called a "splash pool" would be shallow enough for toddlers to wade. What's over there by the tricycle track -- it's not a wading pool?

Youth and Teen Center

Fully equipped centers for children and teens with outdoor and indoor play areas, toys, video games, splash pool, teen disco and a complete schedule of activities.

Same here, we have been on 18 hour flights where people have complained and given us looks because of the kids and then complimented them on being so well behaved. It is the preconceived ideas people have.

I agree with you in part in that yes many people do have pre-conceived ideas about kid's behaviour but that is often as a result of experiencing said bad behaviour before. I also think you (and other responsible parents) are selling yourself short here in that the reason your kids are no trouble is probably due to the investment you have made in moderarting and shaping their behaviour. You have taken responsibility for doing that. My kids are now grown up and we too took them to 'adult type' restaurants to be greeted with worried looks when we entered and then compliments at the conclusion of the meal and we used to wonder why. But it was because our kids sat at the table and had their meal. They didn't feel it was OK to run about the room and we certainly didn't let them do that so we could have a few moments 'peace'. IMHO it is about responsibility and expectations - I felt responsible for my kid's behaviour and expected them to behave well - and most of the time, they did.:)

Back to the original OP...there is no children's pool on the Emerald. The "Chill Out" pool on the Sports Deck of the Emerald (center aft by the youth center) is about 5 ft deep and was as warm as the other pools when we were on board a month ago. The oval pool to the starboard is a hot tub. On the port side is a tricycle track and play area for the youth center. And for the other poster who asked, I believe the rule is absolutely no swim diapers in any of the Princess pools. Hope this helps.

I have never been on the Emerald, but the Princess site describes this pool as the Chill Out Splash Pool under youth activities. The hot tub is round, and is shown to the left, and the oval pool is shown to the right. Is this info wrong on the website? The way it is shown, is the way it is on the CB. The splash pool was 10 inches deep, and had a small slide.

I notice the original poster hasn't come back to confirm or deny that the "chill out splash pool" listed on the Princess website and shown on the Emerald deck plan photo posted in this thread is in fact a shallow wading pool......

Why would they make a "splash pool" 5 feet deep? I never go up there, so I always assumed what they called a "splash pool" would be shallow enough for toddlers to wade. What's over there by the tricycle track -- it's not a wading pool?

I don't know about the Emerald, but the so-called Splash Pools on the Sapphire and Diamond are indeed 4+ feet deep. I used to do my exercises in them since they are a bit away from the gaze of people in lounge chairs. I never saw any kids in them, but these were on month long cruises, and there weren't a lot of kids to be seen.

I notice the original poster hasn't come back to confirm or deny that the "chill out splash pool" listed on the Princess website and shown on the Emerald deck plan photo posted in this thread is in fact a shallow wading pool......

No. But, somebody else did.

Can you blame her? Most of the thread was off-topic and wasn't much of a welcome. She passed on some information and I don't really see why she needs to come back and "confirm or deny" it. I didn't see her post as a complaint, either. If I had a child going on Emerald with me, I'd appreciate this heads-up.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Mary,

I was on the Emerald Princess for a 12-day cruise, and I searched every upstairs deck, and can report that the deck plans on the Princess website showing a splash pool on the Sports deck were erroneous. There was nothing but an open deck on the side where the website shows a splash pool (the ship had some toy cars and other toys there). If anyone who has actually been on the Emerald Princess found a splash pool, please let me know where it is, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I was not looking for a response to my OP (which is why I didn't check back in sooner), just trying to warn others. Sorry, Hoyaheel.:cool:

Archived