Friends of Dorothy

twroths

Hi Tom,

I find it strange that you had a bad reaction on Seabourn. Would you care to elaborate? I only ask because after 160 days on Seabourn, I have never seen anything other than gratiousness from staff and fellow passengers. Seabourn is known as one of the most gay-friendly cruise lines, and as such many G and L passengers book.

Thanks!

Host Dan

PS I also have to agree with you on Regent as well.

My only cruise on Seabourn was on e the Sun a few months before she left Seabourn to go over to HAL.

On that ship I found the staff unfriendlyy, the service poor and the passengers very aloof. I chalked the crew up to the fact that the future of the ship and their jobs were impacting their attitude. This was an 11 day Caribbean cruise and I must admit I could not wait to get off the ship after three days.

The first night 2 couples left the dinning table of 8 after appetizers.....right after I answered the question as to why I never married. I was not use to "outing myself", but I was sick of hiding and telling lies. I was flabbergasted when 2 married couples got up, one husband muttered the F---ot word. The assistant cruise Director was at an adjoing table and immediately intervened and moved me...so the other 4 passengers could be calmed. Sorry....but this I found this totally unacceptable.

As I am former Military and use to keeping a low profile I did not belabor the point. I have also refrained from broadcasting this experience that may impact others that are interested in this cruise line. I have read the many posts from other G and L paseengers on Seabourn and their experiences are extemely positive except for the one couple (ladies) that had a drink thrown on them. Yes it takes all kinds...but how a cruise line handles those rare incidence is another thing.

On the Sun, the 3rd night out I went up to the observation lounge and told the bar tender this gay passenger needed a drink....he told me he was also gay and this was his last sailing...he was expereincing harassment from fellow crew members. well we sat up till 6 am drinking ..security was not happy....

Perhaps this was a unique sailing, but I must admit I was very much dissapointed in my long awaited Seabourn experience. I so hoped it would be like the Royal Viking Star cruise I had years ago when I was a young Liuetenant.....and as good or better than Radisson/ Regent. I may try Seabourn again...perhaps, but maybe after Sea Dream......

in the meantime....its Regent, or mass market Celebrity....

Best wishes on your future cruises..perhaps we will meet on board some day.

Respectfully,

Tom

We are a male couple and have had only one problem with the bed configuration on RSSC. On last year's (2006) westbound "Grand Crossing" on the Voyager, we got to our suite to find the beds made up as one queen sized bed, as we had requested. When we got back to the suite after sailing, we found that we had twin beds! In more than 100 days on RSSC, this had never happened before. I called our butler who reconfigured the beds before we got back from dinner. In the morning I went to the guest relations manager (who happened to be gay) who was very apologetic. He had our stewardess reassigned.

On the whole RSSC is very GLBT friendly. On that same cruise, we had many FOD meetings. Occasionally, on any cruise line, a mix-up can happen.

BTW, there is always a place on the passenger preference form (or whatever it is called) where one should indicate how the bed(s) are to be configured.

I was flabbergasted when 2 married couples got up, one husband muttered the F---ot word.
:( :mad:

OMG in this day and age, you just don't expect people to be so blatantly homophobic! I might expect a little squirming and a change in the seating the next night, but what they did was horrible and appalling to me. I guess having money can't buy class.

My partner and I are wanting to try a new line for our 10th next year and it's good to hear about RSS. We've never had problems on RCL in the past. Sometimes the odd look from a bartender, but then they snapped out of it. LOL! The bed thing drives me nuts, but by the end of the day I'm over it. :D

FTR, I don't necessarily feel compelled to attend FOD meetings or even the cruise critic gatherings. I hate structure and appointments during the day so I typically opt out. It has nothing to do with snubbing or not wanting to be outed though (for us, anyway).

For a special occasion, RSS is the way to go. I did my first cruise with them to celebrate a special birthday and was instantly hooked. Although I am only going on my 5th RSS this Dec, I must admit I have no reservations of the cost, or concerns that it will be anything less than first class all the way. Nothing is perfect, but for excellent service, good food, respectful and helpful staff, beautiful appointments and great cabins...NO LINES......no hunting for deck chairs and making you feel like a million bucks without having it.....Regent is the choice. Make your special day a memorable one....I did on Regent and have no regrets.

One final note.......at some point grab your mate and sail the PG in Tahiti....its one cruise not to be missed.

Tom

My only cruise on Seabourn was on e the Sun a few months before she left Seabourn to go over to HAL.

On that ship I found the staff unfriendlyy, the service poor and the passengers very aloof. I chalked the crew up to the fact that the future of the ship and their jobs were impacting their attitude. This was an 11 day Caribbean cruise and I must admit I could not wait to get off the ship after three days.

The first night 2 couples left the dinning table of 8 after appetizers.....right after I answered the question as to why I never married. I was not use to "outing myself", but I was sick of hiding and telling lies. I was flabbergasted when 2 married couples got up, one husband muttered the F---ot word. The assistant cruise Director was at an adjoing table and immediately intervened and moved me...so the other 4 passengers could be calmed. Sorry....but this I found this totally unacceptable.

As I am former Military and use to keeping a low profile I did not belabor the point. I have also refrained from broadcasting this experience that may impact others that are interested in this cruise line. I have read the many posts from other G and L paseengers on Seabourn and their experiences are extemely positive except for the one couple (ladies) that had a drink thrown on them. Yes it takes all kinds...but how a cruise line handles those rare incidence is another thing.

On the Sun, the 3rd night out I went up to the observation lounge and told the bar tender this gay passenger needed a drink....he told me he was also gay and this was his last sailing...he was expereincing harassment from fellow crew members. well we sat up till 6 am drinking ..security was not happy....

Perhaps this was a unique sailing, but I must admit I was very much dissapointed in my long awaited Seabourn experience. I so hoped it would be like the Royal Viking Star cruise I had years ago when I was a young Liuetenant.....and as good or better than Radisson/ Regent. I may try Seabourn again...perhaps, but maybe after Sea Dream......

in the meantime....its Regent, or mass market Celebrity....

Best wishes on your future cruises..perhaps we will meet on board some day.

Respectfully,

Tom

Tom--

I'm sorry that this happened to you - I'm sure that the ACD only had the best of intentions, but that doens't excuse that idiot pax dropping the F-Bomb.

I'm sure that if you boarded that same ship today, now that it's Prinsendam, you'd get a far better reception: I know of several staff and crew who are gay, and the rest are very gay friendly - HAL has always been a class act as far as that's concerned.

BTW - I'm ex-Military too: USAF, 87-92

;)

We are a male couple and have had only one problem with the bed configuration on RSSC. On last year's (2006) westbound "Grand Crossing" on the Voyager, we got to our suite to find the beds made up as one queen sized bed, as we had requested. When we got back to the suite after sailing, we found that we had twin beds! In more than 100 days on RSSC, this had never happened before. I called our butler who reconfigured the beds before we got back from dinner. In the morning I went to the guest relations manager (who happened to be gay) who was very apologetic. He had our stewardess reassigned.

On the whole RSSC is very GLBT friendly. On that same cruise, we had many FOD meetings. Occasionally, on any cruise line, a mix-up can happen.

BTW, there is always a place on the passenger preference form (or whatever it is called) where one should indicate how the bed(s) are to be configured.

I seem to have almost always had issues with how beds are made up upon entering the stateroom for the first time - together when I requested them separated or vice versa.

Always been fixed by the time I've returned from boat drill.

;)

Bepsf,

Actually, this was the only time that we have had the bed arrangement problem in 29 years of cruising together. I quess that we have been lucky. Also, for the first 8 or 9 years that we were together we cruised only on the late lamented ms Mermoz of Paquet Cruises. On French ships, all sorts of sleeping arrangements were honored.

I grew up in the arts (I'm straight) and never understood why we have this need to decide what others should or shouldn't do in the privacy of their homes (or staterooms). I'm more concerned that we all treat one another with respect, no matter who or what we are. Obviously having money doesn't mean a person has class. I like RSSC because I've found the majority of the people friendly and accepting, no matter what their beliefs.

I've run into problems with the bed set up as well. One time I was cruising with my husband and the beds were set up as twins. Another time I was with a female friend and the bed was set up as a queen. I think it's just a random mistake. I wouldn't read anything further into it. I've enjoyed many Regent cruises with people of all orientations. There is very little judgement to be found.

• 1 month later...

Although I have sailed the PG once before....its was Prior to the ship being baught by the present owners (and managed by Regent). Although not a flamboyant person, savvy ship staff can spot you easily.

Iam curious as to whether the treatment will be differnet from my last trip......I dont expect it to change.

With many honeymooners present I do not expect FOD Friends of Dorothy parties held......just a happy crew.

All I need is a clean bed, hot shower, some good food.....and a mud slide, or a BBC for a mid morning tasty......and a good Cosmo before dinner....throw in a Tahitian sun set..who could ask for anything more.:p

I'll report back as to how a family member is treated.

Tom

Archived