Activities in Grand Cayman and Cozemel

dishie02

I haven't done these yet, but I am going to both of these ports in October on the Carnival Legend. I have a 13 yr old, and a 11 yr old, and will also be traveling with 2 toddlers (my neice and nephew)

We booked the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman. And the Playa Mia Deluxe Beach Break in Cozumel. Both seem to be pretty family friendly, but again...I haven't done them yet, so I don't know for sure.

I've done Cozumel with a 5, 9, and 11 yr. old. We took a cab to Paradise Beach which was free and had clean changing facilities. Drinks were less than on the ship. There were sea kayaks, a big iceburg, and a trampoline in the water. Beach chairs were free, and it was definitely a good family beach. Then we walked around downtown shopping before heading to the ship. You could also go to Chankanaab (SP?) park and snorkel or rent a car and explore the island. There was a wildlife sanctuary and lighthouse on the same side of the island as the town. Another thing you can do that would be fun is to take the ferry from downtown over to Playa del Carmen. As soon as you get off the ferry there's the town with beautiful beaches (unlike the town area of Cozumel) and shopping. Riding on the top deck of the ferry would be fun for the kids.

Grand Cayman has a good snorkeling spot just a short walk from where the ships dock, Eden Rock. It's to the right and used to have a gray wall. The lockers were big and inexpensive ($5?), so one had more than enough room for 4 of us. You can rent snorkeling gear there or take your own, and it's free to get in the water which is calm. There are coral formations, and people are scuba diving below.

We would take our kids to Hell, just because that's funny to say you've been there, and there's always 7 Mile Beach. You could also do an excursion to swim with the rays. We did that with our 3 in Belize (nurse sharks and rays) and they loved it.

I think Cozumel and Grand Cayman are excellent ports to take kids and not spend a ton of money yet have fun.

We just went in May and I can tell you what NOT to do. ;) Don't do Playa Mia or the Butterfly Farm.

What I would do if I had to do it all over again is Chankanaab or Paradise Beach.

After reading the cozumel board, i agree with Michelle. Playa Mia is for the "partiers" not kids. Paradise Beach offers a $9 wristband for kids to use all the nonmotorized water toys. Go to the cozumel board.

I did Turtle farm in Cayman and if it anything like Butterfly farm it is a waste of time and money. Just my opionion. Good luck

Hey,

Anyone taken a 10 year old and 8 year old to these ports? Any suggestions on activities? We are only in Grand Cayman from 7:00 am until 2:00 pm.

Thanks!

Considering that Grand Cayman is a tendered port that 2pm is very early (wow)

have you considered swimming with the stingrays?

There is also a semi sub tour that lets you see sunken ships etc.

After reading the cozumel board, i agree with Michelle. Playa Mia is for the "partiers" not kids. Paradise Beach offers a $9 wristband for kids to use all the nonmotorized water toys. Go to the cozumel board.

I did Turtle farm in Cayman and if it anything like Butterfly farm it is a waste of time and money. Just my opionion. Good luck

Yep exactly...Playa Mia had an open bar and their were LOADS of drunk abnoxious adults everywhere.

All I wanted was to relax in paradise...I should have gone TO Paradise Beach.

Great ports for families....

Cozumel - Paradise Beach without a second thought.

Grand Cayman - Swim with stingrays (Native way tours) and if time left Eden rock.....this also without a doubt. Please, please take the kids to swim with the stingrays, it really is a "Not to miss" IMO.

Please, let us know what you end up doing and how it was on your return!

Great ports for families....

Grand Cayman - Swim with stingrays (Native way tours) and if time left Eden rock.....this also without a doubt. Please, please take the kids to swim with the stingrays, it really is a "Not to miss" IMO.

Please, let us know what you end up doing and how it was on your return!

Absolutely swim with the stingrays! We took or 3 kids, youngest was 6, and he did just fine. The water is shallow enough to stand in places, and the guide will bring the rays up for you to touch. We also went with Nativeways (after our original company cancelled on the day of excursion) and the people were wonderful. There were several families with younger children on board.

The stingray excursion sounds great. The only thing I'm worried about is that we have a very short time before we have to be back on the ship. Do ships always tender in Grand Cayman?

For Cozumel I think the beach sounds great!

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, the ships always tender in GC....contact Sweet Sharon @ Nativeway and tell her Kelly sent ya. Talk to her about the departure time and being at the ship in time to board.....She really works specifically to your liking...great person.

We are going to Cozumel and GC in September. I've been to both before but didn't have the kids then.

This trip we are going to swim with the rays (I did this last time). It's fantastic.

We are going to go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. there's a very long thread on the Cozumel board about it, plus there's a website. It looks perfect for the family. Last time I went to Carlos n Charlies and did the 'swim' with the dolphis. (More like stand there while the handler has the dolphin swim back and forth several feet away...and one dolphin air kiss...total waste of money)....anyway...obviously CC's is out of the question too.

Have a good time. (btw, my kids are 4 and 3).

Our kids, 6 and 4 enjoyed the Pirate Cruise in Grand Cayman. The kids have to take the pirate oath and they scrub the deck and shoot "pretend" at the ships and other boats in the area. Then you anchor and can jump off the ship and swim. It was fun.

We haven't done a specific excursion in Cozumel with our kids, but DH and I just did helmet diving and it was fabulous! I just looked it up and the minimum age is 8 years old. DH and I also did the Speedboat & Beach Escape and this was great too. We'll do both of these activities with our kids when the youngest one hits the minimum age.

If you have any questions about these excursions just ask and I'll be happy to answer if I can.

MellowMel--

Was the Pirate Ship excursion thru the cruiseline, or did you book it on your own? It sounds like something my kids (4 and 7) might like. How much was it?

I need details!!

CeleBrat

Here is the Carnival one in Grand Caymen....

Relive the swashbuckling days of long ago when Grand Cayman became famous for being a safe harbor for pirates and their treasure.

On this excursion you will:

Be greeted at the dock by the crew of one of our pirate ships to start your journey back to the days of the pirates.

Take a shuttle boat transfer to the vessel.

Watch in awe as the crew start a mock attack on your cruise ship firing the cannon waking up the late risers and scaring the tenders and the gang way security.

Watch the kids scrub the decks before swearing an oath to the Pirates Creed of Ethics.

Have your spouse or kids tied up for a pirates tale while enjoying sodas, fruit punch and water.

Once at the swim stop, jump from the railing make a sibling or a parent walk the plank while swimming in the beautiful Caribbean ocean.

After the swim stop enjoy the best rum punch in Cayman before returning to George Town with memories of old.

Enjoy a fun-filled and exciting time with the pirates of Grand Cayman.

Note: Fruit punch, rum punch and sodas are included.

MellowMel--

Was the Pirate Ship excursion thru the cruiseline, or did you book it on your own? It sounds like something my kids (4 and 7) might like. How much was it?

I need details!!

CeleBrat

We did the Cayman Pirate Encounter through Royal Caribbean. I now don't remember what line you are on, but there were Carnival cruisers on our same excursion.

I've copied from the Excursion board from Royal Caribbean. The price was $42 for adults and $34 for kids. My son was 3 at the time and he was free.

Cayman Pirate Encounter

In the 17th century, Grand Cayman was famous for being a safe harbor for pirates and their treasure. Today, many Caymanians are direct descendants of pirates. You can relive the dangerous, swashbuckling days of long ago when you sign on for the Cayman Pirate Encounter, a two-hour coastal cruise that takes you back to the days of the pirate.

During the Pirate Encounter, the crew of the Jolly Roger will become the pirates of old with their costumes and habits. The crew is not only qualified seamen, but also skilled entertainers. From the moment they greet you at the dock you will step back in time. You will watch in awe as the crew scrambles on the rigging, hoists the sails and fires the cannon in a mock attack on your cruise ship. You’ll hear pirate tales and swear on oath to the Pirates Creed of Ethics. This cruise is great for kids of all ages who can fire the cannon, help hoist the mainsail, and make their brother or sister walk the plank at the end of a very blunt sword. You also enjoy a great swim stop to enjoy the waters of Grand Cayman. The Jolly Roger is a two-thirds replica of a 17th century galleon, and is thought to be the same size as Christopher Columbus’ Nina, which crossed the Atlantic three times. It is an 80-foot, square-rigged sailing galleon with 110 pieces of working rigging.

We did both ports last February with an 11 and 7 y/o.

Cozumel - Paradise Beach, hands down! We actually brought a few other families we met on the ship and they said it was their favorite port! The kids will love the trampoline and iceberg. We also rented a wave runner which was a ton of fun. What was nice was the parents enjoyed their time as well. Great bar service - delicious food, clean facilities. We loved it so much we have selected a cruise next year so we can return.:p

Grand Cayman - mixed bag for us. We didn't book anything in advance and getting a cab at the pier turned into a bit of a hassle. They wanted to wait until they filled the 8 passenger van. After walking away, they agreed to take us and the other couple that had been waiting for 20 minutes. We did a brief island tour - went to Hell (DS loves his T-shirt that reads "I've been to Hell and back!), went to the Turtle Farm (fun, just enough time to spend there) and then we had the driver drop us off at the Hyatt where I bought day passes to use the pool (7 mile beach is free.) I would not recommend the Hyatt at all - I wrote another post in the GC forum on that. Not friendly, a total scam, too expensive. :mad:

After meeting up with DH who went diving, we decided to walk around the port area and find a place for lunch. We decided on Margaritaville (DH's idea) -and, let me just say,it was an experience! We were seated right away next to (right next to) what turned out to be the stage/dance floor. Within minutes of ordering our food, they started a contest for couples involving popping of balloons in all sorts of positions including pelvic thrusts to the other's backside. DH and I thought for sure DCF would show up to take our kids away!!! It went right over DD7's head, but DS11 had a smile on his face for days. He was hysterical. He came home and told everyone about it! Looking back, it really was funny - just not what we expected and probably wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't been right in the middle of everything. Another family on the ship had a great day there but spent their time outside on the waterslide. Let's just say we took the concept of making a vacation "an educational experience" for our kids to a whole new level! :eek:

I think the Pirate Excursion looks fund for younger kids that can't really snorkle or do alot of the other things 8+ can do. I think this is what we will end up doing if we end up going to GC.

I don't think my DD will like snorkling with the Stingrays...I just thing she might end up being a little freaked out and spend the whole day on the boat......:confused: She's kind of a "I AM NOT GETTING IN THAT (LAKE/CREEK) WATER! THERE IS SNAKES/TURTLES/FISH IN THERE!!!!" :eek: :rolleyes: But the funny thing is, she's only like that in shallow water, cause if you swim off of a boat, she doesn't think twice before jumping in (with lifejacket, of course!!!!):rolleyes:

Archived