things to see in London

MAKEM

Just incase anyone wants something different and is intrigued by our Royal Family there is an exhibition in Buckinham palace of the Queens wedding day...apparently her dress plus Phillips uniform ,bridesmaids etc.

They are celebrating their Diamond wedding this year so could be of interest to some of you spending time in London this summer.

We went to Buckingham Palace last summer and we thought that it was well worth the visit. The history of the Palace is interesting and it is different in design to any of the others that are commonly visited (Windor and Hampton Court).

Buckingham Palace is only open to the public while the Queen is on her summer holidays, so not that many people get to see it.

It is also worth buying tickets ahead of time as you can skip some lines. Tickets are timed. You can buy tickets from:

http://www.the-royal-collection.com/royaltickets/default.asp

Hi Makem

I have my tickets for the "Royal Day Out". I do have a question for you. On our return from our cruise we are staying one night in a hotel at Heathrow. In the afternoon I would like to do a tour of windsor Castle but I cant't find tours leaving from Heathrow. do you know if there are any or do I have to go back into London?

thanks

Muriel

Hi Makem

I have my tickets for the "Royal Day Out". I do have a question for you. On our return from our cruise we are staying one night in a hotel at Heathrow. In the afternoon I would like to do a tour of windsor Castle but I cant't find tours leaving from Heathrow. do you know if there are any or do I have to go back into London?

thanks

Muriel

No ,not into London,Windsor is to the West of Heathrow,get a cab,there will be a bus such as National Express from Heathrow to Windsor,but cab would save you a lot of time,door to door

Makem

Do you know how far the cab ride is to windsor Castle? Can you suggest any other areas that are close by to visit?

Muriel

I am not 100% sure how far Windsor is from Heathrow, but it isn't too far. Across the river from Windsor is the village of Eton, where Eton College is. It is a great little place to wander around.

Are you staying? I ask this as there is a train service to Windsor which calls in at Feltham, Ashford and Staines. There is also a local bus service from Staines. These locations are all on the South side of the airport and if you are staying the day in Windsor, public transport would be the more user friendly. From what I can make out, National Express (coach) do not have a direct service from Heathrow to Windsor.

If you are staying North of the airport, I'll have a look at their local buses,

Jimmy

Do you know how far the cab ride is to windsor Castle? Can you suggest any other areas that are close by to visit?
Actually, it's only about 11 miles by road.

There is a bus that goes from the central bus station at Heathrow to Windsor. It's operated by First, it's number 77, it goes once every half an hour and takes about 40 minutes. Depending on exactly where you're staying, it's even possible that it may go past your hotel.

But otherwise, you're looking at taking a cab, really, to get to Windsor.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Makem

thanks

Muriel

There u ghttp://www.windsor%20castle/o

Muriel,all the info you need for Windsor,tickets etc, have a good trip

BG

We took the London Bus to the Hayes and Harrlington Station and then the train to Windsor. There's a connection in Slough. We did it so we had train tickets to use for half off admissions in London. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really was and it's really quicker than the bus if you are into late afternoon/evening hours.

Archived