Places To Eat In Philadelphia...and Sightseeing.

josephml1

Yeah, I have to admit that I LOVE K o P. And there are two areas, the Court and the Plaza. I can't remember which is which, but one is mostly a normal mall, and the other is way out of the price range of most people (stores like Tiffany and Armani and Versace). There are many places to eat as well (Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen...).

I stand by what I said before... Jim's is the place to go for cheesecake.

Maybe thinking in a little shopping i will rent a car, i find an excelent rate with alamo for two days.

We have 3 votes for JIM´S

Only 1 for Geno´s

Any other vote?:D

Hi Joseph,

I've lived in Philly area all of my 38 years, went to college IN the city (Drexel Univ, next to UPenn), and have been working in the city for over 12 yrs now. Here are my 2 cents on a few things:

* Cheesesteak -- I'd go with Jim's (avoid Pat's, Geno's, and Tony Luke's, they all are tourist traps with more hype than quality). If you want a good HOAGIE (elsewhere known as a SUB), check out Primo's (2 locations in Center City and one in South Philly -- they get Best of Philly and other awards all the time).

* Shopping -- Stick with places downtown if you are only here for 2 days. It would take you a solid day to get through King of Prussia, what with the travel. Avoid I-76 (Schuylkill Expwy), it is generally a nightmare to travel. Franklin Mills is nothing to get excited over, there are much better outlets all over PA & any other state. Also, it's a good 30 minute car ride up I-95 without traffic (don't even consider the bus, would take forever w/transfers). There is a mall in Center City along Market Street (just east of City Hall), not spectacular but I haven't been there in a long time. It's called The Gallery at Market East. It is very close to Reading Terminal Market, which is interesting to walk around and grab a bite to eat. Delilah's ("soul food" type cooking) is very good, and you can top it off with AWESOME Bassett's ice cream (super-premium local brand). There is LOTS of shopping throughout Center City...and South Street is definitely interesting! You might also want to check out the Italian Market (9th and Washington) area, particularly the cheese shops -- Claudio's and DiBruno House of Cheese! A GREAT place to eat in that area is Mamma Maria's, you get several courses (all are excellent, and pasta is homemade), carafes of red & white wine (all you want), dessert, and liquores (they leave ALL of them at the table and you take as much as you like -- including their homemade limoncello). They are open for lunch and dinner and are located on Passyunk Ave. We love this place, and although it's a bit pricey (dinner was a flat $50 per person last time we went), you get a LOT of food and (if you drink) a LOT of booze for your money. Sadly, I am cut off at 2 glasses of wine (light-weight!).

* The Zoo -- We have a very nice zoo, and it's not very far (West Philly). Not sure of the best way without a car, would probably have to take a bus and that could be a slow ride. In October, I would not worry about crowds or parking availability. Note, I believe the elephants are gone now, they were to be moved recently...but there is lots to see.

* Things to do -- Too many to mention, lots of touristy places already mentioned, lots of shows you could see (theaters not far from City Hall), Franklin Institute (not sure if already mentioned, they have an IMAX theater as well as everything else), day trip to Atlantic City (doesn't faze me, but if you've never been there, it might be of interest), etc.

* Subway, etc. -- In Center City, you would mostly use the Market-Frankford line, runs east/west. There is also the Broad Street line, runs north/south (Market Street & Broad Street intersect at City Hall, smack in middle, you have to circle around it). There is no reason to travel North (not much up there and wouldn't be safe, to be frank) and going South you could hit the stadium/arena area for a game or a concert (complex at Broad and Pattison Ave.) or closer to City Hall is where the theaters are located. There are buses, but I've never used them (never needed) and you need to know route numbers (get the map before jumping on!). There are some trolleys (not the San Fran enjoyable kind!) as well, but doubt you'd have much use for those. Out of 30th Street Station (beautiful old building, especially inside), you can catch trains out to the 'burbs, but being here only 2 days would not be worth the time involved. Chestnut Hill & Manayunk (far western end) are nice to check out, good on a nice day walking by the shops & restaurants...but again, lots to do/see in Center City.

I'm sure other thoughts will come to mind once I post this. Let me know if you have any Q's I can help with, or if you'd like to email/chat to discuss details offline.

-- Renée

Thought of something else (triggered by the ghost tour comment)...I've never gone to this but friends have and they've loved it. Since you will be here in Oct, you might want to check this out:

September 21 - November 3, 2007

Evenings

Prices Vary

"Terror Behind the Walls" Haunted House

Terror Behind the Walls presented by Lukoil is the region's premier haunted attraction. This Massive Haunted House In A Real Prison has been ranked among the Top Ten Haunted Attractions in the United States by America Online, the Travel Channel and HauntWorld Magazine. Tickets go on sale Sept. 13, 2007. Check the Terror Behind the Walls website for coupons, previews, ticketing and real ghost sightings.

http://www.easternstate.org/

This is located right in the city and would be really easy to get to.

Hi Joseph,

I've lived in Philly area all of my 38 years,

I'm sure other thoughts will come to mind once I post this. Let me know if you have any Q's I can help with, or if you'd like to email/chat to discuss details offline.

-- Renée

I have to say thank you very much for an excelent review, I am going to check in detail all your recomendations.

I also think your review is going to be very usefull for everyone who read this thread...

I know many questions will pop up when my girlfriend read this post, I let you know.

Again thank you very much.:) :) :) :)

This is located right in the city and would be really easy to get to.

I just see your are going to take the exact same cruise than ours only one week earlier...

We are going on the crown to NE/CA on Oct 13...

We will be in Philadelphia on Oct 11 for a couple of days and then travel to Ny to take the cruise.

We are considering using amtrak to go from PHiladelphia to NY or maybe greyhound to brooklyn.

I just see your are going to take the exact same cruise than ours only one week earlier...

We are going on the crown to NE/CA on Oct 13...

We will be in Philadelphia on Oct 11 for a couple of days and then travel to Ny to take the cruise.

We are considering using amtrak to go from PHiladelphia to NY or maybe greyhound to brooklyn.

Hi Joseph,

Oh wow, that is pretty cool about the cruise! Would have been great if we were on the same one & could meet with the other CCs at the meet & greet. Have you gone to your Roll Call to start chatting with others on your sailing?

I've never been to the Brooklyn Pier...and we don't want to leave our car, so we decided on a Princess Transfer. We are doing it out of Burlington, NJ instead of the PHL airport, because we'd have to back-track about 45 mins to get to the airport. Anyway, it is $100 per person round trip and I think the one out of PHL would be the same or not much more. The advantage is that you get on the bus and no worries from there. You can book this via Princess or your travel agent. I like not having to worry about coordination, just get to the one spot and you are all set. Not sure where Amtrak would leave you off or if you'd have to catch something else to get to the pier. With Greyhound, who knows if the entire bus is going to the pier or if there will be other stops. Not trying to persuade you, just offering the suggestion -- it would be a smooth trip. Also, if you are flying to PHL, getting the transfer via the airport would be great because you will get dropped off there post-cruise. That is, unless you intend on staying a few days in NYC (or elsewhere). Maybe they can do a one-way transfer in that case? Here is a link describing the transfer option:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na830

-- Renée

i live outside of phila and i too would not suggest KOP (king of prussia) pre cruise. if you go buy a bunch of stuff what would you do with it?

i sugguest reading terminal, constitution center, and chinatown. my FAVORITE restaurant is called Penang in Chinatown. they have malaysian, thai, chinese etc food. little bit of everything. its cheap and clean in there. then you can go a few doors down to K.C. pastries and get a bubble tea. yummmmmmm. http://www.phillychinatown.com/penang.htm

i live outside of phila and i too would not suggest KOP (king of prussia) pre cruise. if you go buy a bunch of stuff what would you do with it?

i sugguest reading terminal, constitution center, and chinatown. my FAVORITE restaurant is called Penang in Chinatown. they have malaysian, thai, chinese etc food. little bit of everything. its cheap and clean in there. then you can go a few doors down to K.C. pastries and get a bubble tea. yummmmmmm. http://www.phillychinatown.com/penang.htm

That sound good i also love chinese food...:)

What is a bubble tea?

Hi Joseph,

Oh wow, that is pretty cool about the cruise! Would have been great if we were on the same one & could meet with the other CCs at the meet & greet. Have you gone to your Roll Call to start chatting with others on your sailing?

I've never been to the Brooklyn Pier...and we don't want to leave our car, so we decided on a Princess Transfer. We are doing it out of Burlington, NJ instead of the PHL airport, because we'd have to back-track about 45 mins to get to the airport. Anyway, it is $100 per person round trip and I think the one out of PHL would be the same or not much more. The advantage is that you get on the bus and no worries from there. You can book this via Princess or your travel agent. I like not having to worry about coordination, just get to the one spot and you are all set. Not sure where Amtrak would leave you off or if you'd have to catch something else to get to the pier. With Greyhound, who knows if the entire bus is going to the pier or if there will be other stops. Not trying to persuade you, just offering the suggestion -- it would be a smooth trip. Also, if you are flying to PHL, getting the transfer via the airport would be great because you will get dropped off there post-cruise. That is, unless you intend on staying a few days in NYC (or elsewhere). Maybe they can do a one-way transfer in that case? Here is a link describing the transfer option:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na830

-- Renée

Hi Renée

Yes, right now i am chating with other fellow cruisers about the departure on Crown Oct 13...

We are going to stay for a couple of nights in NY after the cruise...check my other post NY for a first timer... I get very good info about Ny too.

We will consider the princess transfer, thank you for the advice.

We check with amtrak because is just one hour trip from Philly to NY train station, that is fast. ;)

That sound good i also love chinese food...:)

What is a bubble tea?

bubble tea is kind of hard to explain. its basically a smoothie or just regular tea that has large tapioca pearls in it that you suck through a big straw. http://www.bubbletea.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

my favorite at k.c. pastries is either the watermelon or the mango. both are made with fresh fruit. i dont get milk in it and tell them not to make it very sweet and its SOOOOOOO good.

I just can't get past the big globs in the bubble tea! :)

Also, just wanted to second the idea for the tour of Eastern State Prison. It's something I've been meaning to do for years because all of my friends rave about how great it is...

bubble tea is kind of hard to explain. its basically a smoothie or just regular tea that has large tapioca pearls in it that you suck through a big straw. http://www.bubbletea.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

my favorite at k.c. pastries is either the watermelon or the mango. both are made with fresh fruit. i dont get milk in it and tell them not to make it very sweet and its SOOOOOOO good.

Ohh Yes, Boba drink i will try the watermelon its sounds very good...:D

Thanks...;)

i dont know how much time you have there but consider going to south street. thats where all the funky little shops are.

http://www.southstreet.com/

also, go check out the constitution center and independence park area.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/inde/home.htm

The south street thats where Jims steaks are.... i will definitive go there Mmmhh, and it looks very nice for walking around.

Thanks for the advice.:)

Archived