Places To Eat In Philadelphia...and Sightseeing.

josephml1

A good bakery and coffee in philly?

Any advice.:)

Inside the Reading Terminal Market (I mentioned before, it's right near the Convention Center/Chinatown) you will find several bakery stands all under one roof. Have you ever had a Cannoli? It is an Italian pastry, has a long "shell" with a sweet ricotta cheese filling -- don't worry, it's doesn't take like regular cheese, it is sweet and very good...you could also get them filled with a chocolate or vanilla cream, but I don't care for those much...I grew up in an Italian house, the cheese is the traditional filling! You can get an excellent Cannoli at Termini's, they are famous for that.

Here is the market website:

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/merchants/

It has a list of categories (click to list vendors in each category) & an interactive map, so you can find everything easily -- including coffee (I don't like coffee so I can't recommend a particular place).

You REALLY have to get the Bassett's Ice Cream (I mentioned this one before, too -- it is listed under Dairy & Cheese). They have lots of great flavors, but 2 of my favorites are Cinnamon and Pralines & Cream. Here is their website with all the yummy flavors (note, there are many more than shown on this first link, just click "List Flavors Alphabetically" to see them all:

http://www.bassettsicecream.com/flavors.html

-- Renée

The Kimmel Center for Rigoleto should be fabulous! I think that the Center is on the Avenue of the Arts. If you are going on a Friday or Saturday, you can extend your evening and take in some more elegant surroundings, after the opera, check out the chocolate buffet at the Ritz-Carlton (also on the Avenue of the Arts, near City Hall). I haven't been recently, but last year, it was $18 per person for all you can eat fancy chocolate desserts. There was live jazz music and it is a beautiful setting. There is also a bar/waiter service so you can buy a nightcap if you like.

The Kimmel Center for Rigoleto should be fabulous! I think that the Center is on the Avenue of the Arts. If you are going on a Friday or Saturday, you can extend your evening and take in some more elegant surroundings, after the opera, check out the chocolate buffet at the Ritz-Carlton (also on the Avenue of the Arts, near City Hall). I haven't been recently, but last year, it was $18 per person for all you can eat fancy chocolate desserts. There was live jazz music and it is a beautiful setting. There is also a bar/waiter service so you can buy a nightcap if you like.

Mhhh chocolate buffet that sounds very good, thank you for mention it...do you know at what time starts and finish?

Thanks.

I Need Another Advice About Driving From Philly To Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (i Am Going To Return The Car In Brooklyn Near The Port To Take My Cruise There)

I See Many Options In The Map, But I Don't Know Witch One Is Better And With Less Traffic.

Thanks Everyone.

I Need Another Advice About Driving From Philly To Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (i Am Going To Return The Car In Brooklyn Near The Port To Take My Cruise There)

I See Many Options In The Map, But I Don't Know Witch One Is Better And With Less Traffic.

Thanks Everyone.

I would recommend checking on Mapquest or also the AAA website (in the past I was able to choose shortest miles or shortest travel time), that should give you the best of the options. I would not go solely with a paper map, though it is good to have as reference (unless the car you rent has a navigation system, which would be helpful).

We are taking the Princess transfer, but because you will be cruising the week before me, I don't know the route the bus will take for us. However, to be leaving from center city Philly, you should give yourself at least 2 hours travel time. Northern NJ & NYC area traffic tends to be a nightmare. You could get lucky and end up being early and having to sit around, but that is better than being stuck in traffic and being frantic. My guess is that a good portion of your trip will be on the NJ Turnpike. If traffic is moving, it can be fine. If there is any construction or accident, you can get stuck with nowhere to go for quite a long time. Just thought you should know this so that you can leave early enough and be prepared for the possibility of delays. We travel the NJ Turnpike up to NY (to go to Mass/NH), and have sat in terrible traffic at times.

Hopefully someone who has driven to the pier will be able to help with a more detailed route.

-- Renée

You may also want to think about dropping your car off in Philly and taking Greyhound to NYC then a cab to Brooklyn. Online fares from Philly to NYC is $12.00 and will save you the stress of driving. If you do, be sure you get an express bus (only stops in Mt. Laurel for a couple of minutes to pick up passengers).

Mhhh chocolate buffet that sounds very good, thank you for mention it...do you know at what time starts and finish?

Thanks.

I haven't been in over a year, so I would suggest that if you are interested, call the Ritz Carlton hotel and verify with them! But I highly recommend it!

I haven't been in over a year, so I would suggest that if you are interested, call the Ritz Carlton hotel and verify with them! But I highly recommend it!

I will follow your advice and check in the internet page of the hotel.

Thank You.:)

I would recommend checking on Mapquest or also the AAA website (in the past I was able to choose shortest miles or shortest travel time), that should give you the best of the options. I would not go solely with a paper map, though it is good to have as reference (unless the car you rent has a navigation system, which would be helpful).

We are taking the Princess transfer, but because you will be cruising the week before me, I don't know the route the bus will take for us. However, to be leaving from center city Philly, you should give yourself at least 2 hours travel time. Northern NJ & NYC area traffic tends to be a nightmare. You could get lucky and end up being early and having to sit around, but that is better than being stuck in traffic and being frantic. My guess is that a good portion of your trip will be on the NJ Turnpike. If traffic is moving, it can be fine. If there is any construction or accident, you can get stuck with nowhere to go for quite a long time. Just thought you should know this so that you can leave early enough and be prepared for the possibility of delays. We travel the NJ Turnpike up to NY (to go to Mass/NH), and have sat in terrible traffic at times.

Hopefully someone who has driven to the pier will be able to help with a more detailed route.

-- Renée

Yes, i will be using the NJ turnpike, do you know how much is the cost of the toll and the toll of the holland tunnel?

Thanks.:)

Yes, i will be using the NJ turnpike, do you know how much is the cost of the toll and the toll of the holland tunnel?

Thanks.:)

The NJ Turnpike will depend on where you enter the highway. We enter at Exit 6 (connector from the PA Turnpike), but you will likely enter somewhere south of there. Also, we follow I-95 route (exit for GW Bridge) and have never used the Holland Tunnel. The NJ Turnpike toll (I just asked my husband, he did this a few weeks ago) for our portion is $5.50. The GW Bridge is $6.00. Again, your portion of NJ Turnpike will probably be a bit more miles, so plan for a slightly higher toll. I quoted the GW Bridge toll only as a rough guess as to what the Holland Tunnel may be. If you plan for $20 total for both, you will be fine. I am pretty sure it will be less than that but it's a good round number to plan for.

The NJ Turnpike will depend on where you enter the highway. We enter at Exit 6 (connector from the PA Turnpike), but you will likely enter somewhere south of there. Also, we follow I-95 route (exit for GW Bridge) and have never used the Holland Tunnel. The NJ Turnpike toll (I just asked my husband, he did this a few weeks ago) for our portion is $5.50. The GW Bridge is $6.00. Again, your portion of NJ Turnpike will probably be a bit more miles, so plan for a slightly higher toll. I quoted the GW Bridge toll only as a rough guess as to what the Holland Tunnel may be. If you plan for $20 total for both, you will be fine. I am pretty sure it will be less than that but it's a good round number to plan for.

Thanks for the Info i really appreciate it.

Thank You.:):):):)

I need some comments about this theather show

Man of La Mancha

It's a classic - ran on Broadway for a number of years. The most well known song is Dream the Impossible Dream. If you google Man of La Mancha there is lots of information.

The Walnut Street Theater where it will begin on 9/4 was the first theater in the United States. It's small, so all seats are good.

It's a classic - ran on Broadway for a number of years. The most well known song is Dream the Impossible Dream. If you google Man of La Mancha there is lots of information.

The Walnut Street Theater where it will begin on 9/4 was the first theater in the United States. It's small, so all seats are good.

But what do you think is worth the money?

But what do you think is worth the money?

To me, yes, but i don't know what your taste is. Also, the show hasn't opened yet, so the reviews of this particular production are not yet in. (The Walnut Street theater has a limited number of $10 tickets available for each performance. They are in the top mezzanine, but since the theater is so small, you have a great view. If you can get those, then it's definitely worth it. However, they obviously go very fast, but it's worth a try).

To me, yes, but i don't know what your taste is. Also, the show hasn't opened yet, so the reviews of this particular production are not yet in. (The Walnut Street theater has a limited number of $10 tickets available for each performance. They are in the top mezzanine, but since the theater is so small, you have a great view. If you can get those, then it's definitely worth it. However, they obviously go very fast, but it's worth a try).

Well i am going to be there in OCT...

Where do you buy that 10 dlls tickets? Directly in the theater on the same day or before?

Archived