Places To Eat In Philadelphia...and Sightseeing.

josephml1

Best Philly cheesesteak is Jim's on South Street. You can't miss it, black and white tiles on the outside, it's somewhere around 4th and South. South Street itself is a neat place to go, very unusual shops and lots of people watching. Some people will say Geno's is the best cheesesteak, I personally have found them to be a little "fatty".

Must see sites... I like the art museum area, the whole parkway is very pretty. Things like the Liberty Bell and Indepence Hall don't excite me, but maybe that's just because I take it for granted. Penn's Landing is very beautiful, too. The Chart House is a very upscale restaurant, but nice for a special occasion.

The Philadelphia zoo has a wonderful primate exhibit, they have recently redone the lion/tiger exhibit, I haven't seen it completed yet, but it looked pretty cool during construction. Be warned parking can be a nightmare, if possible take a trolley, it's an interesting experience in itself.

Have Fun!!

I agree -- Jim's on South Street. There's a reason the line snakes around the block! :D

You have to do the historical stuff: Liberty bell, etc. If you go online to the national parks website for $1 you can make advanced reservations. Otherwise you have to stand in some horrible line, it might sell out & it's just annoying.

I got a touristy map & sort of just wandered around: US Mint, Ben Franklin's house, looking at the old architecture. I understand the Art Museum is lovely. Rittenhouse Square is very nice; the trendy / hot / upscale restaurants tend to be near there.

I can't remember the name of it but there was a great restaurant -- a little touristy -- but the staff wore period costumes & the food & drink were authentic. I had some kind of hard cider mixed drink that really knowcked me out so be careful!

Totally agree - Jim's is the best cheesesteak place. (though others will tell you Geno's or Pat's)

I think the OP might be talking about City Tavern (near 2nd and Walnut).

Things to do:

1) historic Philly,

-independence hall and liberty bell

-national constitution center (not my favorite, but nice if it rains)

-horse-drawn carriage ride (guide will tell you all about the historic sites)

-ride-the-ducks (bus/boat tour that actually drives into the river...beware though, they give out "quackers")

-if it's really nice, grab a sandwich at Old Nelson's (Corner of 7th and Chestnut) and have a picnic in the park behind Independence Hall, or in Washinton Square (caddy corner from the park behind Independence)

2) art musuem and the "Rocky" steps and statue

3) The Franklin Institute (not sure when you are coming, but they get a lot of traveling exhibits, some are great - like Titanic, some are just ok - like King Tut)

4) Philadelphia Zoo, I love it there!

5) Reading Terminal Market

6) South Street/Penn's Landing (fun shopping AND people watching)

annpharm, trish1c and mandabear

I have to say thank you for all the advices and your comments....:)

I will go to Jim's for the Cheesesteak... I am starting to be hungry right now.

I am going to be in October in Philadelphia for two days.

I am considreing this hotel:

Sheraton Philadelphia City Center Hotel

What do you think about it???

Again Thank you for the advice about the sightseeing.

:) :) :)

It's not very interesting, IMO, but if you do wish to see it, just look at it through the windows from the outside. It looks just the same as inside, and you can avoid a long line and stupid security measure.

Save your time for the many, many other sights in Philly.

I think the OP might be talking about City Tavern (near 2nd and Walnut).

No, that was me, but City Tavern is the place I was talking about.

That is another good option that i will keep in mind...

Thank you for your advice.:)

If you are just staying in center city, then I'd say no to the car. There are cabs, trains, and buses, and many places are walking distance from each other. The Philadelphia Zoo is a bit out of town, and I"m not sure how easy it is to get there on public transport. Parking can get expensive if you are planning to drive from sight to sight.

I think the Sheraton is near the museum district. I've heard that it's very nice. If you are more interested in being near the historic sights, then it's kind of far (and there is a nice Best Western on Chestnut street near the historic sights).

Since you are coming in October, there is one more fun activity to suggest. There are ghost tours. You get to walk around and see a lot of the historic sights, and you hear the story with the building. AND, I think the tour usually ends at City Tavern.

:)

If you are just staying in center city, then I'd say no to the car. There are cabs, trains, and buses, and many places are walking distance from each other. The Philadelphia Zoo is a bit out of town, and I"m not sure how easy it is to get there on public transport. Parking can get expensive if you are planning to drive from sight to sight.

I think the Sheraton is near the museum district. I've heard that it's very nice. If you are more interested in being near the historic sights, then it's kind of far (and there is a nice Best Western on Chestnut street near the historic sights).

Since you are coming in October, there is one more fun activity to suggest. There are ghost tours. You get to walk around and see a lot of the historic sights, and you hear the story with the building. AND, I think the tour usually ends at City Tavern.

I think i am going to use the subway.

Thanks for the advice.:)

If you did rent a car - the second largest mall in the US is located just north of Philly in King of Prussia, PA (Valley Forge). It's called King of Prussia - there is a website. Lots of shopping and no sales tax on clothes in the state of Pennsylvania. Plenty of restaurants too.

Also, there are some colleges/universities that could be visited such as Villanova and UPenn if anyone is fans or wants to see the campuses. Just suggestions for what it is worth.

I think that the subway/train will take you to most places you want (especially when combined with the bus), but just to be clear...it's not like the New York City subway. It's not nearly as extensive, and there are a few different lines that run through the city, out to the suburbs, and across the river to NJ.

I live about 15 minutes from King of Prussia so I'm very familiar with the mall and personally, if I was going to be in Philly for only a couple days, I'd skip King of Prussia. Depending on the time of day, the traffic to the suburbs is a pain and it is just a mall after all... the same stores as anywhere else. Even for shopping, I'd stay in the city. There are all the chain and many of the department stores you would find at the mall, plus the small, more unique shops and restaurants. Just my opinion... :)

Heather

I live about 15 minutes from King of Prussia so I'm very familiar with the mall and personally, if I was going to be in Philly for only a couple days, I'd skip King of Prussia. Depending on the time of day, the traffic to the suburbs is a pain and it is just a mall after all... the same stores as anywhere else. Even for shopping, I'd stay in the city. There are all the chain and many of the department stores you would find at the mall, plus the small, more unique shops and restaurants. Just my opinion...

Heather

Thanks Is always good to hear everyone different opinions to make one of your own.

Thanks for the advice.:) :)

Maybe i will rent a car for a day...because.

My girl friend loves to shopping

I will consider this shopping center...King of Prussia, PA (Valley Forge)

Thanks for the advice.:)

King of Prussia mall is grand b/c it's so huge but if she prefers bargains, take her to the Franklin Mills outlet mall just North of the City (head N on 95; there will be signs & your hotel will be able to help).

King of Prussia mall is grand b/c it's so huge but if she prefers bargains, take her to the Franklin Mills outlet mall just North of the City (head N on 95; there will be signs & your hotel will be able to help).

Yes, i read something about it... in www.outletsonline.com

Its my girldfriend favorite page...:D

I find it funny that we have booked our cruise completely out of our area...(We are about 40 miles North of Philly) and many others are coming into and cruising out of the area.

And BTW....Geno's is the best cheesesteak! & Bucks County PA....Is the place to visit! :D

hi i live in new jersey and i go to philly alot. the best thing to do is get a philadelphia pass for two days and for few dollars more you can go on the double decker bus tour of the city for 90 minutes. it also has 20 stops on the tour that you can get off and on. check out thses links for more info. with the philadelphia pass you get int all those places people mentioned for free plus a few discounts

http://www.philadelphiapass.com/index2.asp

http://www.phillytour.com/

Yeah, I have to admit that I LOVE K o P. And there are two areas, the Court and the Plaza. I can't remember which is which, but one is mostly a normal mall, and the other is way out of the price range of most people (stores like Tiffany and Armani and Versace). There are many places to eat as well (Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen...).

I stand by what I said before... Jim's is the place to go for cheesecake. :)

hi i live in new jersey and i go to philly alot. the best thing to do is get a philadelphia pass for two days and for few dollars more you can go on the double decker bus tour of the city for 90 minutes. it also has 20 stops on the tour that you can get off and on. check out thses links for more info. with the philadelphia pass you get int all those places people mentioned for free plus a few discounts

http://www.philadelphiapass.com/index2.asp

http://www.phillytour.com/

Thanks for the advice about Philadelphia pass, for the number of attractions included i Think is a Bargain...i will use it thanks.

:) :) :) :)

Archived