Never again on NCL!

kcbmarek

Like I posted earlier, but nobody got it. Here's a post from the OP on another board.

We are looking at taking our teenage sons (15 and 13) on Princess to the Mexican Riviera for Thanksgiving. How are the Princess ships for teenagers? Our other consideration was Carnival but I prefer to stay away from there.

It wasn't REALLY a honeymoon.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

Don't worry. We "got it". Just wasn't worthy of a reply....get it?

I too know first-hand, and know that we plan on taking on of the overnight days to stay on the ship and relax.

The point I think RachieLynn was trying to make was that others shouldn't complain if someone gives their opinion about the TV. Especially when it is implied that others agree the choice is bad. The only difference is that the other posters don't want to pay attn to the TV. That doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't pay attn to the TV.

Your opinion is that TV is no reason for someone to judge a cruiseline/ship. That doesn't mean that others cannot factor the TV into their judgement. She gave her opinion, and others have been giving her flack for 1) watching TV and 2) watching TV on her honeymoon. It was her decision to watch TV, and it was her opinion to complain about it.

I'd also say that complaining about no towel animals is worse than the TV. (not sure if you've heard that one or not).

of course you are right, but seeing it from the other side; to say "I will never sail again" because of a few minor problems (she still has answered about the honeymoon package) to me is a little over reacting. Had she simply reviewed the cruise, pros and cons and mentioned the tV selection I think the reaction would have been different. Yes, I have heard the complaint about the towel animals, also the opposite, the cruise was great and we even had towel animals. LOL

Like I posted earlier, but nobody got it. Here's a post from the OP on another board.

We are looking at taking our teenage sons (15 and 13) on Princess to the Mexican Riviera for Thanksgiving. How are the Princess ships for teenagers? Our other consideration was Carnival but I prefer to stay away from there.

It wasn't REALLY a honeymoon.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

She has posted a couple other places as well, but I can't remember where. Of course she may be on her honeymoon, still, I have a problem with anyone that posts and runs. I always will. I guess to each his own.

As you can see from my signature line, I like NCL, but I understand the OP's frustration.

When I sailed on the Dawn to celebrate my 50th birthday, I splurged for a balcony cabin, and ordered the 79.00 Honeymoon/Anniversary package from my travel agent well ahead of sailing.

DH and I were looking forward to sitting on the balcony sipping the sparkling wine that was supposed be in our cabin upon embarkation while sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

Having sailed on NCL before, I was well aware that there was definite potential for a mixup...and there was.

No problem,I thought...I brought my paid receipt for the cruise, which showed the itemized paid for anniversary/honeymoon package to the Pursers desk and asked to have the wine delivered to my cabin. The response that i got surprised me.

The rep informed me that I was not "on the list" and that the only way to get the package was to order it and pay for it on the spot,(again) and that they would contact NCL finance department on the next business day. If NCL confirmed that I had paid, then they would credit my account.

I'm not sure why the itemized paid receipt was not sufficient proof that I was being truthful, but it they sure didn't make be feel like a valued customer at that point.

Also...the second charge did show up on my credit card statement after I got home, and it took weeks to clear from the account.

I was put off by the way the situation was handled, so I understand exactly how OP feels.

In my case, however, the rest of the cruise was awesome, and I have cruise three times since then.

I pre-ordered a bottle of wine for my son's 30th birthday last year (March)

and they had no listing for it. (I spoke with customer relations)I wasn't smart enough to take my receipts with me. Needless to say no wine. When I got home I faxed copies of the receipt and got my money back. But I didn't feel any better. I really think the OP was upset about the non-appereance of the package and the proceeded to let it spoil the vacation(honeymoon) Big Mistake!

It never ceases to amaze me that people are as sensitive as they are. The OP was never treated poorly in this entire thread. You post on a public forum, you should expect your opinions to be challenged, especially when expressed the way that they were. This would be like me going to the campus of my alma maters arch rival, then standing up, telling everyone there that the school sucks, and then complaining about it after I was "challenged". There is nothing wrong with being challenged, it keeps us intellectually honest.

For me someones opinion is only worthwhile if they are willing and able to defend it, even if I still don't agree. I will at least respect that person. IMHO if you won't defend your statements, don't bother making them.

I'm perfectly willing to listen to both the good and the bad of just about anything. As long as someone is willing to properly explain why they reached the conclusions that they did, and defend those conclusions.

It never ceases to amaze me that people are as sensitive as they are. The OP was never treated poorly in this entire thread. You post on a public forum, you should expect your opinions to be challenged, especially when expressed the way that they were. This would be like me going to the campus of my alma maters arch rival, then standing up, telling everyone there that the school sucks, and then complaining about it after I was "challenged". There is nothing wrong with being challenged, it keeps us intellectually honest.

For me someones opinion is only worthwhile if they are willing and able to defend it, even if I still don't agree. I will at least respect that person. IMHO if you won't defend your statements, don't bother making them.

I'm perfectly willing to listen to both the good and the bad of just about anything. As long as someone is willing to properly explain why they reached the conclusions that they did, and defend those conclusions.

Very well put. Thank you!

I too know first-hand, and know that we plan on taking on of the overnight days to stay on the ship and relax.

The point I think RachieLynn was trying to make was that others shouldn't complain if someone gives their opinion about the TV. Especially when it is implied that others agree the choice is bad. The only difference is that the other posters don't want to pay attn to the TV. That doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't pay attn to the TV.

Your opinion is that TV is no reason for someone to judge a cruiseline/ship. That doesn't mean that others cannot factor the TV into their judgement. She gave her opinion, and others have been giving her flack for 1) watching TV and 2) watching TV on her honeymoon. It was her decision to watch TV, and it was her opinion to complain about it.

I'd also say that complaining about no towel animals is worse than the TV. (not sure if you've heard that one or not).

Thanks, you put it much better than me. :) Just because some people don't think TV is important, or that it's too picky to care about it, doesn't mean that others might not be interested in hearing what the TV was like. If you don't care what it's like, why bother to respond, let alone make the OP feel like she should have been doing something better with her time? No wonder she didn't come back!

On the other hand, I do agree that the OP perhaps could have worded the original post differently if she didn't want to get so many negative responses. When posts are so harsh regarding NCL, that's when people get touchy. If negativity is framed in a different light, people don't care so much.

That's what I've noticed.

Just why in heck does anybody have to defend their opinion. It is just that . . . . . THEIR OPINION . . . . nothing more. They express it, you either agree or disagree. You disagree, you express a counter opinion. They don't have to defend their opinion, they already made it. In fact to defend the opinion puts it in the ring of a debate or argument.

One definition of opinion is "a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.". Another is, "a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty."

Someone in this thread wondered why the OP didn't come back. Why should they? To do so would be to belabor a point that was already made. And there is enough belaboring on these boards as it is.

I pre-ordered a bottle of wine for my son's 30th birthday last year (March)

and they had no listing for it. (I spoke with customer relations)I wasn't smart enough to take my receipts with me. Needless to say no wine. When I got home I faxed copies of the receipt and got my money back. But I didn't feel any better. I really think the OP was upset about the non-appereance of the package and the proceeded to let it spoil the vacation(honeymoon) Big Mistake!

I had a similar experience on Princess, but they claimed my clients did get the wine.

Stuff happens,

nita

See I'm back to defend what I said.

An opinion may be a personal belief, but what good is it if I can't determine what it is based upon? What information was used to determine the opinion? How was that information perceived by the person forming the opinion?

The OP gave us an opinion, but no info to determine if her opinion should be taken seriously. i'm not asking for a certainty, just some basis to form my own opinion. All this time and we still can't even infer what really happened.

Saying that it's an opinion does not automatically make it sacrosanct. Using your thinking I could spout off all kinds of idiotic nonsense, but nobody better dare challenge me because I've stated an opinion.

See I'm back to defend what I said.

An opinion may be a personal belief, but what good is it if I can't determine what it is based upon? What information was used to determine the opinion? How was that information perceived by the person forming the opinion?

The OP gave us an opinion, but no info to determine if her opinion should be taken seriously. i'm not asking for a certainty, just some basis to form my own opinion. All this time and we still can't even infer what really happened.

Saying that it's an opinion does not automatically make it sacrosanct. Using your thinking I could spout off all kinds of idiotic nonsense, but nobody better dare challenge me because I've stated an opinion.

I understand where you are coming from, I also guess it is about time to let this thread die. There isn't much left to say: there are those of us who beleive posting an opinion will get the some negative comments and understand that, there are others who just don't understand anyone questioning someone opinion. This type of thread pops up about every 2 or 3 weeks on NCL board. After 4 or days, maybe a week it vanishes and another will appear. Of course most boards have similar postings.

Nita

Just why in heck does anybody have to defend their opinion. It is just that . . . . . THEIR OPINION . . . . nothing more. They express it, you either agree or disagree. You disagree, you express a counter opinion. They don't have to defend their opinion, they already made it. In fact to defend the opinion puts it in the ring of a debate or argument.

One definition of opinion is "a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.". Another is, "a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty."

Someone in this thread wondered why the OP didn't come back. Why should they? To do so would be to belabor a point that was already made. And there is enough belaboring on these boards as it is.

Exactly! Bravo.

Archived