Never again on NCL!

kcbmarek

They were on their honeymoon. I can understand being in the cabin for hours, just don't understand why they wanted to watch TV all the time.

Dianne

That is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard on this thread. She made a slight reference to the TV channels, nowhere does it say she wanted to watch tv "all the time"

Heck- she did not get the honeymoon she hoped for. That is too bad. I feel bad for her. Ripping apart her post serves no purpose.

Hotspur- I doubt her post would negatively affect anyone's cruising experience. If she felt they were rude to her, then the Customer Service was bad. PERIOD. There are ways to handle all complaints so that the customer feels validated and respected.

Is it possible that what the poster perceived as an "accusation of lying" was a crew member asking to see their marriage certificate?

I know a lot of land-based vacations, like Sandals, require the marriage certificate to get whatever it is they get...

That is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard on this thread. She made a slight reference to the TV channels, nowhere does it say she wanted to watch tv "all the time".
You're right. Her comment was only
and the channels on TV - oh heavens!!!
So let me rephrase that for DW to "What is the difference between the NCL channels and those on other cruise lines?" Of the five cruise lines we have been on, none has what you would call stellar programming. I really have trouble imagining why TV even rated a mention in her complaint.

Heck- she did not get the honeymoon she hoped for. That is too bad. I feel bad for her. Ripping apart her post serves no purpose.
Right again. "Ripping" someone serves no useful purpose in a conversation. Correcting what appear to be inaccuracies and providing alternate opinions would be useful (IMHO). BTW, is the phrase That is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard on this thread. a correction, an alternate opinion, or a rip?

Hotspur- I doubt her post would negatively affect anyone's cruising experience. If she felt they were rude to her, then the Customer Service was bad. PERIOD. There are ways to handle all complaints so that the customer feels validated and respected.
Sorry, but IMHO again, there are ways to handle many, if not most, complaints to the customers satisfaction. And you can often have a customer feel "validated" and "respected" even when the answer is no.

However, you really cannot please all of the people all of the time. Maybe OP was treated rudely and maybe not. Just because someone "feels" that they were treated rudely doesn't mean that they were not given complete attention to their problem and the best resolution possible under the circumstances.

As I said in post 36

The fact is that we will never really know both sides of the story. The OP could be 100% correct. Or not. The true story probably lies somewhere in the middle.

And, again,

I wish OP good fortune in their future cruises on whatever line they select.

Charlie

As you can see from my signature line, I like NCL, but I understand the OP's frustration.

When I sailed on the Dawn to celebrate my 50th birthday, I splurged for a balcony cabin, and ordered the 79.00 Honeymoon/Anniversary package from my travel agent well ahead of sailing.

DH and I were looking forward to sitting on the balcony sipping the sparkling wine that was supposed be in our cabin upon embarkation while sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

Having sailed on NCL before, I was well aware that there was definite potential for a mixup...and there was.

No problem,I thought...I brought my paid receipt for the cruise, which showed the itemized paid for anniversary/honeymoon package to the Pursers desk and asked to have the wine delivered to my cabin. The response that i got surprised me.

The rep informed me that I was not "on the list" and that the only way to get the package was to order it and pay for it on the spot,(again) and that they would contact NCL finance department on the next business day. If NCL confirmed that I had paid, then they would credit my account.

I'm not sure why the itemized paid receipt was not sufficient proof that I was being truthful, but it they sure didn't make be feel like a valued customer at that point.

Also...the second charge did show up on my credit card statement after I got home, and it took weeks to clear from the account.

I was put off by the way the situation was handled, so I understand exactly how OP feels.

In my case, however, the rest of the cruise was awesome, and I have cruise three times since then.

As a former NCL officer I can say that I experienced mostly happy and satisfied guests. A few times we had guests with the attitude that OP represents and people like that would have been making hell wherever they had been cruising. NCL are just happy to get rid of them as guests and can only feel sorry for Princess or whoever getting their moaning attitude onboard.

They were on their honeymoon. I can understand being in the cabin for hours, just don't understand why they wanted to watch TV all the time.

Dianne

This may be the reason they are watching TV on their HM.

We are looking at taking our teenage sons (15 and 13) on Princess to the Mexican Riviera for Thanksgiving. How are the Princess ships for teenagers? Our other consideration was Carnival but I prefer to stay away from there.

This is from one of their other posts on CC

Happy Cruising,

Monty

Opinions...like (well you know) everyone has at least one. It's just hard to believe that on an entire cruise...there were NO positive moments. Good luck in your marriage. I've had 31 great years with a super babe but every minute wasn't always GREAT and I've watched my share of TV (good & bad). Can't wait to do the new Gem in January. Taking my brand new grand daughter (she'll be 7 months) We are getting her started early.:D

<P>

So let me rephrase that for DW to "What is the difference between the NCL channels and those on other cruise lines?" Of the five cruise lines we have been on, none has what you would call stellar programming. I really have trouble imagining why TV even rated a mention in her complaint.
</P>

Why is the OP not entitled to her opinion? The TV bothered her.  Just because it may not be a priority for others, shouldn't mean that the TV isn't a factor in her vacation.

The Carnival ships I have been on have had Fox, WB, TNT, CNN, Discovery or the History channel. (there may have been an ESPN channel - I don't remember). This is in addition to the few taped shows they play all week as well as the 1st run movies

The Princess ship I was on had TNT, one of the 4 main stations (ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox) I don't remember which one, just know that a family member was relieved he wouldn't have to miss it. There was also CNN, and ESPN.

The NCL ships I have been on have had CNN and ESPN, a few taped shows of a sitcom they play throughout the week.

Anyone who has posted in this thread about how the title of this thread will scare people away should spend their valuable posts on new threads about their good experiences. Create a title like "fabulous cruise on insert name here".

If this post becomes the last post this thread will fade into obscurity. So please don't reply with an agreement.

If the original poster comes back with something to add then you can resume your discussions but it makes little sense worrying about the effect of the title when your post is keeping it at the top of the list each day.

<P></P>

Why is the OP not entitled to her opinion? The TV bothered her.  Just because it may not be a priority for others, shouldn't mean that the TV isn't a factor in her vacation.

The Carnival ships I have been on have had Fox, WB, TNT, CNN, Discovery or the History channel. (there may have been an ESPN channel - I don't remember). This is in addition to the few taped shows they play all week as well as the 1st run movies

The Princess ship I was on had TNT, one of the 4 main stations (ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox) I don't remember which one, just know that a family member was relieved he wouldn't have to miss it. There was also CNN, and ESPN.

The NCL ships I have been on have had CNN and ESPN, a few taped shows of a sitcom they play throughout the week.

Sorry, where did I say that the OP was not entitled to an opinion?

It was, and is still, my opinion that any problem with the selection of channels pales in comparison to the problem she had with the honeymoon package. To paraphrase your opining line, "Why am I not entitled to my opinion?"

We've been on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess, and RCCL and I truely haven't seen any real difference in the quality of TV programming on them. None have had what I would call 1st run movies. All, including NCL, have had movies that have been recently released to DVD.

Never have seen ESPN on the in cabin service. As I stated in an earlier response I have found

Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, sometimes some retro TV, news from Colorado (which is really neat in January:D )
You mentioned TNT and I do remember that we have had TNT-LA on several cruises. I have never seen Discovery or History channel on any cruise.

Again, JMHO and experience,

Charlie

Hello!

I'm a travel agent and a couple of months ago, I booked 2 couples on two different NCL ships and got free romance/honeymoon packages for both. (And one couple wasn't celebrating anything special - I will be celebrating their 40th anniversary - in both cases it was offered by the res agent when I was either making a deposit or paying their final cruise cost.

Neither parties have traveled yet but I expect NCL to provide these items. And, I will check with both clients when they return to make sure they did. If they did not, I will certainly take it up with NCL!

Regards,

I'm sorry to hear that the OP did not enjoy her cruise as well but also am in agreement with others that NCL does not offer freebies to honeymooners.

As far as a TA misleading her, after reading through some of her previous posts I see that she booked her cruise through the same online TA agency we have used for many, many cruises. I can not believe her TA promised her freebies that would not materialize. They are a top notch agency in our book and have always been honest and up front with us.

Dianne

Hello!

I'm a travel agent and a couple of months ago, I booked 2 couples on two different NCL ships and got free romance/honeymoon packages for both. (And one couple wasn't celebrating anything special - I will be celebrating their 40th anniversary - in both cases it was offered by the res agent when I was either making a deposit or paying their final cruise cost.

Neither parties have traveled yet but I expect NCL to provide these items. And, I will check with both clients when they return to make sure they did. If they did not, I will certainly take it up with NCL!

Regards,

Well I can tell you, that is a first. I have been an agent for many years and never have heard of the romance package been offered. It soulds like it may have been a promo for that month or something. Of course you must have a reference to this on your invoice that is emailed to us the minute we book. I would give that to the guest to keep as a receipt. If it doesn't show up on the invoice I would call NCL asap and re-confirm, asking for a new invoice. I have done this a few times with OBC. Always I have recieved the new invoice stating that there is an OBC.

Nita

Sorry, where did I say that the OP was not entitled to an opinion?

It was, and is still, my opinion that any problem with the selection of channels pales in comparison to the problem she had with the honeymoon package. To paraphrase your opining line, "Why am I not entitled to my opinion?"

We've been on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess, and RCCL and I truely haven't seen any real difference in the quality of TV programming on them. None have had what I would call 1st run movies. All, including NCL, have had movies that have been recently released to DVD.

Never have seen ESPN on the in cabin service. As I stated in an earlier response I have foundYou mentioned TNT and I do remember that we have had TNT-LA on several cruises. I have never seen Discovery or History channel on any cruise.

Again, JMHO and experience,

Charlie

I don't believe I turned the TV on at all on my honeymoon!;)

I don't believe I turned the TV on at all on my honeymoon!;)

We got married at Ft. Dix, NJ, Oct. 11, 1967, a day before 98Charlie graduated from basic training. Took a two day honeymoon to NYC. Traveled there on an Army bus loaded with soldiers heading out on leave. I was the ony female at our wedding and on the Army bus.

Had about $100 to spend on hotel and food for the weekend. Ate at the Horn and Hardart's (sp), rode the Staten Island Ferry and walked into Macy's for a look, just to say we were there.

Remember each moment like it was yesterday, so since I don't remember any TV shows the screen was obviously black.:D

Dianne

98Charlie's wife for 40 years

I think it's a huge shame that people are giving the OP flack for wanting to watch TV on her honeymoon.

Planning a wedding can be extremely stressful (I can tell you first-hand:rolleyes: ) and maybe the OP just wanted to relax after all the planning. Maybe they didn't want to have port-intensive days every single day of their cruise. That's their choice!

I will say that I have spoken to the OP here at CC before, and she seemed to be a very nice person, and gave me a lot of great tips for my upcoming POH cruise since she was on a past Hawaii NCLA cruise that she enjoyed. She even took the time to email me info.

It's too bad she didn't enjoy NCL this time around, especially for a honeymoon. I believe she really must have been treated badly to post such a negative original response. When I spoke to her, she never came across as one of those crazy, demanding and unreasonable passengers. I wish she would come back to give us more of the story!

I think it's a huge shame that people are giving the OP flack for wanting to watch TV on her honeymoon.

Planning a wedding can be extremely stressful (I can tell you first-hand:rolleyes: ) and maybe the OP just wanted to relax after all the planning. Maybe they didn't want to have port-intensive days every single day of their cruise. That's their choice!

I will say that I have spoken to the OP here at CC before, and she seemed to be a very nice person, and gave me a lot of great tips for my upcoming POH cruise since she was on a past Hawaii NCLA cruise that she enjoyed. She even took the time to email me info.

It's too bad she didn't enjoy NCL this time around, especially for a honeymoon. I believe she really must have been treated badly to post such a negative original response. When I spoke to her, she never came across as one of those crazy, demanding and unreasonable passengers. I wish she would come back to give us more of the story!

No one knows if she was or wasn't treated badly. I might beleive it except she hasn't been back to defend or explain anything, though many have asked her specific questions. What she might have preceived as being treated badly was just some poor reception person asking what she wanted or expected and did she have her coupon on invoice stating she was to get whatever? I don't have a clue and neither do you. As for giving her flack for watching TV on her honeymoon certainly isn't the point: the point is, she decided to let everyone know that NCl has lousy TV. As if this is some reason to judge a cruiseline or ship. If you ask me, that might take the cake for the pickiest thing I have ever heard and I happen to be a travel agent. I hear all kinds of complaints.

BTW, many post negative reviews for legit reasons and non legit. What one sees as a inconvenience others see as a major set back. All of us could examine every or any cruise we have taken. If we want to pick them apart we certainly could and yet most of us love our cruises. We were on an RCI cruise once that left much to be desired.Some things RCI could have done better, some negatives were out of their hands. It didn't result in my bashing the line or not sailing them again.

Nita

We watched TV on our honeymoom and we were in Paris! Sometimesyou need to catch the news to see what's happening in the world. ;)

Planning a wedding can be extremely stressful (I can tell you first-hand:rolleyes: ) and maybe the OP just wanted to relax after all the planning.

I too know first-hand, and know that we plan on taking on of the overnight days to stay on the ship and relax.

As for giving her flack for watching TV on her honeymoon certainly isn't the point: the point is, she decided to let everyone know that NCl has lousy TV. As if this is some reason to judge a cruiseline or ship. If you ask me, that might take the cake for the pickiest thing I have ever heard and I happen to be a travel agent.

The point I think RachieLynn was trying to make was that others shouldn't complain if someone gives their opinion about the TV. Especially when it is implied that others agree the choice is bad. The only difference is that the other posters don't want to pay attn to the TV. That doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't pay attn to the TV.

Your opinion is that TV is no reason for someone to judge a cruiseline/ship. That doesn't mean that others cannot factor the TV into their judgement. She gave her opinion, and others have been giving her flack for 1) watching TV and 2) watching TV on her honeymoon. It was her decision to watch TV, and it was her opinion to complain about it.

I'd also say that complaining about no towel animals is worse than the TV. (not sure if you've heard that one or not).

We have bought Honeymoon/Anniversary packages on a couple of our cruises. They are a good value, but they do need to be ordered and paid for in adavance, although maybe NCL does sometimes offer it as a promo item similar to onboard credits or 1-2 category upgrades. I don't know. My guess would be that the TA intended to order it as a gift.

In either case, you (or the TA) should have received a receipt/confirmation for this package, similar to your shore excursion confirmation. (I've never had it appear as part of my invoice or itinerary.) NCL e-mails or faxes these out immediately after processing your order. If you don't get it when expected, you need to call back and ask about it.

Definitely take a copy of this with you. We've never had a problem with any of the amenities that we have ordered in advance, but we have always had our confirmation available in case there was any question.

I've got to agree with you on that. My DH and I had a small wedding with fewer than 40 people. However, we had it 140 miles from home at a place that is very special to us. Even though it was not a "difficult" wedding, we were so exhausted that night after the dinner and reception that we didn't even...well, you know;)...that night. I can see needing some down time, and there's nothing wrong with TV. Still, I never expect that there will be much variety because the ship and cruise are the focus of the trip and most cruise lines want you out of that cabin or suite and enjoying the ship (while spending money, of course).

beachchick

I have come to resort to a small trick when I have clients celebrating something special and I send them something. My clients get a sealed envelope to open on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise. The envelope contains a card with a few personal words and a copy of the order along with the cruiseline confirmation. There is also a short note explaining what to do if they have not recieved my suprise.

Cruiselines have humans too and due to the high volume of requests well at least one has to be messed up during each cruise. So far however the trick with the envelope has always worked.

Like I posted earlier, but nobody got it. Here's a post from the OP on another board.

We are looking at taking our teenage sons (15 and 13) on Princess to the Mexican Riviera for Thanksgiving. How are the Princess ships for teenagers? Our other consideration was Carnival but I prefer to stay away from there.

It wasn't REALLY a honeymoon.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

Archived