Never again on NCL!

kcbmarek

I always find these threads a little sad. They usually bring out bad board behavior on all sides. Even from the people who think they are being helpful. Take a deep breath and count to 10 before you post and make sure it is really what you want to say.

It does not matter if you are on Amazon, here, or any other site that has reviews, some are going to be negative. For cruise critic to be useful you need negative reviews because somebody somewhere will look at things the same way as the person who started the thread. We all don't need to agree.

I can't tell for sure in this situation but many of the problems people have are with travel agents. The industry is just not what it once was. For myself I see no reason to use them when dealing with NCL and adding another layer. You can get just as good a price and I am willing to deal with a little "on hold" time to call them direct and be in control of my trip. I realize this is not for everyone.

Some things are hide to put a price on but does anyone know if there is cruise line to cruise line price breakdown comparison? I am too addicted to freestyle to change lines but it would be nice when these discussions come up to compare typical cost per person per day per line. The reason I say that is "food" seems to always come up. I don't doubt that there are cruise lines that put more into food than NCL but how does that change the cost. I am not a fine food eater so for some reason I have never had a problem with the food. There can always be a bad night but on a whole I am pretty sure I don't want to spend more for my cruise to change the food. I'm in it for the ports and the ship activities which I love on NCL and I like the price.

I'm open to change and respect peoples opinions I just need a little more to go on than "Never gain on NCL" and some other cruise line is better.

I hope I have followed my own advice at the start of this post and have kept my own tone friendly.

DH, DD and I did this same cruise (on the Star) in June. Loved the wonderful ports, had outstanding excursions and top service almost everywhere on board. Food was consistently good and in a few cases exceptional. We all loved the Wii tournament, but didn't got to Alaska to spend time on board.

Sorry the cruise didn't meet your expectations; hope you have better luck somewhere else.

Link to my review: http://cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=30120

I always find these threads a little sad. They usually bring out bad board behavior on all sides. Even from the people who think they are being helpful. Take a deep breath and count to 10 before you post and make sure it is really what you want to say.
Please point out the bad behavior? I think it's more that some people have a thicker skin and some avoid confrontation of any kind at all costs. My mom won't send food back because she doesn't want to make anyone mad. Bad board behavior is as subjective as food on a cruise. :)

However, the OP quite glaringly titled her post in a very negative way and then encapsulated her entire vacation in one paragraph that was negative. It seems like the thread started out bad and the rest of the members responded with helpful information that maybe the TA made a mistake.

I really can't understand why anyone who dares to say anything negative on the NCL boards is blamed for what was wrong. The other boards aren't anything like this.
Have your read the other boards? ;) I don't exactly know why you think the OP is being blamed for anything. It seems that the members here have taken what the OP said and concluded that it was probably a TA issue. How is anyone blaming the OP for anything? :confused:
This poster did not say they expected something for free,
I believe she did say this.

ATTITUDE...ATTITUDE....ATTITUDE....that's the key to every cruise & everyday life.

And you went to AK ? and not one word about it ?? You could have stayed home and watched TV, why the hell go to one of the top 3 destinations in the cruise world just to watch TV and eat ???

And by the way "nothing is free in America"

CIAO,

I didn't see anywhere in the OP's post that they asked for anything free. They asked where their honeymoon package was. They didn't say whether they paid for one or not. They said NCL accused them of lieing about the honeymoon package in order to get it free.

Bill

It amazes me that NCL loyalists think that NCL could do no wrong. I even understand that while I have a favorite cruiseline, they aren't perfect, and because of that I do not try to imply that it must be the passengers fault as to why they had problems.

To those that talked about TV: Sometimes people may want to relax in their cabin for a few minutes. Princess and Carnival have at least a few stations that are decent. The NCL ships I have been on had three or four episodes of Everbody Loves Raymond which played all week.

To those that said the OP wanted something for free: Please re-read the post. The OP never said they expected something for free. What was typed was that NCL made accusations that they wanted freebies.

To those that said cruiselines do not offer things for free anymore: Incorrect. I went to Alaska on Princess in May. It was my fiance's birthday, and they did give us a cake for free.

To those that asked about Alaska: The OP made comments about NCL on the NCL board. Usually it is the Alaska boards where you'll find posts about Alaska.

when we approached the guest service staff inquiring why we did not receive the honeymooner benefits our agent assured us we would, we were accuse of lying to get "freebies". That was a bad move and we basically knew that NCL was not the line for us

This is the OP's post, dated May 8, 2007

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=550219

quote=kcbmarek

I have decided that I am going to go with this package for $79.00 from NCL:

Sparkling Wine and strawberries in your stateroom upon embarkation

Canapés delivered to your stateroom one evening

Honeymooners' Champagne and Cake party

Honeymoon photograph

Romantic dinner for two in Bistro with a complimentary bottle of wine

I cannot see spending more then that as we will not use the components of the package. We are so ready to go on the cruise ...

By the way, when is your sailing? We leave Seattle on July 7th-14th.

My question to the OP is did you purchase the $79.00 package?, if so do you have an itemized bill showing the charge, if not, you were demanding a freebie.

We cruised NCL this past Feb and actually cruised on our 39th wedding anniversary. Our TA noted this on our reservation and told us that we would have a coupon in our cabin for a free bottle of wine to use in the dining room. Needless to say there was no coupon, but that certainly didn't turn us off to NCL. We had a wonderful time. We are cruising with them again Feb 2008. Perhaps this is something they used to do. According to these boards, the cost of cruising has stayed pretty stable over the years, but the amenities have gotten less. I think most people would rather pay less for the cost of the cruise and pay for their own extras.
I wonder where you TA got that idea unless she was going to order it. usually if it is noted or someone says something at dinner you will get a cake. that is all that is free.

You have the right attitude, it isn't a really big deal. Of course it would be nice, but as someone said; think of all those who honeymoon long after their wedding, think of the number of anniversaries being celebrated, etc. The ship would keep busy just trying to keep up with all the special requests.

BTW, our granddaughter got married on a Celebrity cruise, there were 20 plus that sailed and they didn't get a thing except for the romance package that was sent to them by her parents.

Nita

It amazes me that NCL loyalists think that NCL could do no wrong. I even understand that while I have a favorite cruiseline, they aren't perfect, and because of that I do not try to imply that it must be the passengers fault as to why they had problems.

To those that talked about TV: Sometimes people may want to relax in their cabin for a few minutes. Princess and Carnival have at least a few stations that are decent. The NCL ships I have been on had three or four episodes of Everbody Loves Raymond which played all week.

To those that said the OP wanted something for free: Please re-read the post. The OP never said they expected something for free. What was typed was that NCL made accusations that they wanted freebies.

To those that said cruiselines do not offer things for free anymore: Incorrect. I went to Alaska on Princess in May. It was my fiance's birthday, and they did give us a cake for free.

To those that asked about Alaska: The OP made comments about NCL on the NCL board. Usually it is the Alaska boards where you'll find posts about Alaska.

Big deal, a cake:::: every line give a cake for someones birthday, yes even NCL. In fact, we don't tell them anymore cause we can't begin to eat it and we end up throwing it out or have our steward do it for us.

Yes, in essence she did say they wanted something for free or thought there was a package, but she hasn't come back on the tell us what she paid for, if she did.

TV: again, what a silly thing to complain about plus NCL does have news everyday. You are right about not much else, nor have I seen much on Carnival's TV. I can't judge Princess as I haven't cruised them.

Sorry, her heading alone was so negative that it was bound to bring out the NCL loyalist. There is a way of stating negative comments without putting everyone on the defensive. Right now I really can't understand why she was so upset other than the ships attitude. If indeed they did treat her the say she said and it wasn't her imagination, then she has a right to be upset.

If her agent told her she would get perks, it is the agents fault. I would understand a little better had she explained why and what she expected plus how it was paid for. If she paid for something and didn't get it, she has a right to a refund. All she has to do is show the receipt and call her CC company.

Nita

Yes, I am a loyalist.....to my own cruise experience. That's why the next 4 cruises are on 3 different cruise lines. We've had things go wrong on every line that we have used (Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess, RCCL) and never had a crappy cruise. So, with that out of the way:

1. TV - I really have found no difference in the programming on any of the cruise lines. Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, sometimes some retro TV, news from Colorado (which is really neat in January :D )
  2. Did OP ask for something free? Looks like she bought or intended to buy a Romance Package. If the TA said she would be getting some special recognition and it was not forthcoming, her beef is probably with the TA and not the cruise line. If the cruise staff was rude in their handling of the situation, then OP has a valid complaint.
  3. Free stuff from the cruise lines - I really haven't seen any free birthday cakes even in the past 2 years (8 cruises). Most of the lines have a cake for sale now. Maybe we haven't looked hard enough. I'm pretty sure that they charged our tablemates for a birthday cake on the Caribbean Princess (November 2005). The Maitre d' on Carnival Valor did send a bottle of wine to our table the first night of our second cruise with him in 6 months:rolleyes:
  4. Alaska on the Alaska Boards - Your absolutely correct that that is where Alaska discussions should be. OTOH, there are only 2 posts that pose the question of "Did you enjoy Alaska?"
  5. It amazes me that if you challenge a negative post on the NCL and most other boards that there is always someone saying "Loyalist" or "Cheerleader". And, yes, it happens on all of the boards.

The fact is that we will never really know both sides of the story. The OP could be 100% correct. Or not. The true story probably lies somewhere in the middle.

I wish OP good fortune in their future cruises on whatever line they select.

JMHO,

Charlie

We all have different likes and dislikes. This is the OP's opinion. This does not mean do not sail on the Star. Everyone has a right to post their own views. This bad review doesn't make the Star a bad vacation choice. This should not scare off a cruiser from the Star. This is one person of hundreds that sailed that sailing.

It is easy for me to take this with a grain of salt because I have sailed many times, but for a newbie this could be a big question mark whether to sail.

I sailed on RCI on my honeymoon 15 years ago, and I can tell you all we received is a cake to celebrate. I think you should take that up with your TA.

Note that the OP has not posted since the initial post.

except on another subject about food. She blasted NCL up one side and down the other. That was yesterday.

I would bet, somewhere along the line she realized a mistake had been made in regards to the romance package and she isn't about to come back.

Maybe I am wrong. Like Charlie said, if she was treated rudely she has a complaint.

Nita

It is easy for me to take this with a grain of salt because I have sailed many times, but for a newbie this could be a big question mark whether to sail.

This is why rants like the OPs present a big problem here. This is what leads to the threads titled something like: "I've read horrible reviews about [insert name of ship here]. I'm really concerned." And these are from the newbies who bother to ask. One wonders how many read these rants and then just change their vacation plans to go back to DisneyWorld for the umpteenth time.

Wouldn't it be much more helpful to describe whatever issue you perceived with perhaps some discussion as to how to resolve or avoid it on your cruise? Rather than the totally unhelpful "never again" rant? It is a too common occurrence here to find someone who has some perceived problem (e.g., not being seated in a reservations-required restaurant when showing up without a reservation; not getting a package which they may or may not have paid for) who then feels compelled to find fault with everything else about their cruise, and, finally, chooses to come here and get revenge by blasting the cruise line, thereby misleading countless readers and causing many to change future vacation plans needlessly. Really inconsiderate, I'd say.

Frankly, I think it's not only the right but the responsibility of cruise line regulars who know better to point out inaccuracies and exaggerations in order to give a balanced picture to someone coming here looking for information in order to make an informed vacation decision.

Frankly, I think it's not only the right but the responsibility of cruise line regulars who know better to point out inaccuracies and exaggerations in order to give a balanced picture to someone coming here looking for information in order to make an informed vacation decision.

How could someone who was not that person, not on that cruise, and not sharing the same experiences possibly point out anything. How could you possibly know if there are inaccuracies or exaggerations?

What you are requesting is permission to discredit the people that post negative comments.

NCL does provide a free small cake for a birthday, or anything else you tell the waiter or Maitre D about it(they have them at the ready)....its not the best desert.....

Many lines charge for it.

NCL's food in my opinion is as good as most of the other cruise lines....My last trip on the Dawn it was better than my last years cruise on the QM2...(regular dining room to regular dining room)...but remember I NEVER eat in the buffet...ok maybe once in a blue moon...

free cappucinio anyone? in the Dining room of NCL.

But the way a cruise line or ship handles a complaint is important. I don't actually know what was said or what the poster asked for but clearly who ever handled it, doesn't win a prize for tact or getting a passenger calmed down. Things do go wrong and a PSA should be able to explain it in a way that at least doesn't make the passenger feel like this one did. Sometimes however you can't make a passenger happy and clearly this one wasn't. Such a bad time would leave a bad taste in ones mouth and color the rest of the trip.

How could someone who was not that person, not on that cruise, and not sharing the same experiences possibly point out anything. How could you possibly know if there are inaccuracies or exaggerations?

What you are requesting is permission to discredit the people that post negative comments.

If someone who doesn't have a reservation complains about not being seated in a restaurant that requires reservations, that is something that should be pointed out...don't you think? If someone says the food on NCL is "horrible" or "awful," those of us who have spent dozens of nights on NCL ships and have a very different opinion (see smeyer418's posting above) have every right to point out that our opinions are very different, so that a newbie doesn't draw a conclusion from one disgruntled poster who is obviously ticked off about something and has allowed that to ruin his or her cruise.

And I'm not "requesting permission"--certainly not from you--for anything. I'm telling you how I feel about the responsibility people have to correct misrepresentations and present contrasting opinions. If you feel differently, I really don't care.

If someone who doesn't have a reservation complains about not being seated in a restaurant that requires reservations, that is something that should be pointed out...don't you think? Are you able to comprehend that? Try hard.

And I'm not "requesting permission" for anything. I'm telling you how I feel about the responsibility people have to correct misrepresentations. If you feel differently, I really don't care.

Not only can I comprehend, I can read too! :p Where does it say that they showed up in a specialty restaurant without reservations? You must be responding to the wrong thread...

And I guess that as long as you feel the need to be responsible for defending the reputation of NCL, I'm sure there will be posters that also feel the responsibility to report their experiences and impressions as they have experienced them.

And too bad if the cheerleaders take offense...

I agree with that; however, majority of the cruise loyalists/regulars for a specific line - not just NCL, do not give the balanced picture. They tend to praise their line, and be thankful for those that post a positive review saw past the negative reviews.

When there is a post to a new cruiser, or one that has cruised, just not on a particular line, I typically hear everything thats good about the line. Rarely do I see a regular/loyalist voluntarily mention of a shortcomming one may have (depending on their likes), and how to avoid it. Again, not just on NCL, on any line.

If there are new cruisers that are using these boards for research, etc. Than they would typically read more than just one post, and while there may be negative ones, there are many positive ones that should override the bad. If one have a question, or concern than they should realize that they are more than welcome to post a question that will be answered. If they don't, than that is actually their fault.

I agree with that; however, majority of the cruise loyalists/regulars for a specific line - not just NCL, do not give the balanced picture. They tend to praise their line, and be thankful for those that post a positive review saw past the negative reviews.

I don't think that's necessarily true, hazeleyes. Look at the current thread on Dream, where someone asked for input on the ship. Regulars pointed out the quirky deck layout caused by the stretch, and suggested checking the deck plans to understand how to avoid having a problem. Regulars pointed out the small buffet, and one [me] suggested using the Italian restaurant one deck below for additional seating when the buffet is crowded. I pointed out that the theater is undersized and suggested getting there early for better choice of seats.

My sense is that NCL regulars are very willing to point out inadequacies and then discuss how to avoid or minimize their impact on your cruise. We believe the overall NCL package is a good one, and the right one for us, despite any shortcomings. Frankly, all mass-market cruise lines have shortcomings, and it's up to each of us to take into account the trade-offs and make our decisions based on our personal preferences.

....It's a cruise. Have you EVER heard the words "free" and "cruiseline" in the same sentence??? Their whole daily business is trying to get as much $$$ out of you as they can. You know that going in.

Bad TV channels on a ship??? Are you kidding me? That's your complaint? Why are you watching TV on a cruise, anyway?

....It's a cruise. Have you EVER heard the words "free" and "cruiseline" in the same sentence??? Their whole daily business is trying to get as much $$$ out of you as they can. You know that going in.

Bad TV channels on a ship??? Are you kidding me? That's your complaint? Why are you watching TV on a cruise, anyway?

They were on their honeymoon. I can understand being in the cabin for hours, just don't understand why they wanted to watch TV all the time.

Dianne

Archived