Harwich to gatwick transport

I am having trouble getting transport from the port Harwich to Gatwick airport. There are 7 of us.

My first choice would be to look into what the ship offers in transfers. It looks to be a least a two hour trip, which puts a taxi in the stratosphere for cost. A van might work too.... but another option might be a train if you have time.

Here is a site for searching train information / times / costs

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

My first choice would be to look into what the ship offers in transfers. It looks to be a least a two hour trip, which puts a taxi in the stratosphere for cost. A van might work too.... but another option might be a train if you have time.

The train is not a particularly good idea. Coming from Harwich, you will have been on at least a 12 night cruise and have plenty of luggage.

There is no easy way to cross London by train. The Harwich train is excellent to get to Liverpool Street Station in North-East London. The train to Gatwick is from London Victoria (also direct and very good) but is in South-West London. The problem is getting between the two across the city. If you stayed the night in Central London, this option becomes more viable.

The best advice is to check out prices for a private van against the ship's own transport shuttle. If not too much difference in price, go with the ship's shuttle - they will ensure you have the right luggage tags etc. and desembarkation is much smoother.

We used Anthony of http://www.grandchauffeurs.com/contact_us.htm a few years back. He took us from Gatwick to our hotel near the ship terminal and then from the ship to London. My parents liked him so much they hired him for a day trip up to the Wedgewood (I think this was the one???) factory. This was not inexpensive given the exchange rate, but well worth the price.

Marie

I have contacted 2 transportation companies about going from a London Hotel to Gatwick. I am finding it is $215. That sounds soo expensive to us. I know England is said to be overpriced but this is the cost of a low fare airline ticket in the US. Do taxis run much cheaper? We will also be coming into the cruise port at Dover that transport cost is said to be $360! Any suggestions?

I have contacted 2 transportation companies about going from a London Hotel to Gatwick. I am finding it is $215. That sounds soo expensive to us. I know England is said to be overpriced but this is the cost of a low fare airline ticket in the US. Do taxis run much cheaper? We will also be coming into the cruise port at Dover that transport cost is said to be $360! Any suggestions?

Take the train from Gatwick to London Victoria (30 minutes non-stop) then a taxi to your hotel.

I have contacted 2 transportation companies about going from a London Hotel to Gatwick. I am finding it is $215. That sounds soo expensive to us. I know England is said to be overpriced but this is the cost of a low fare airline ticket in the US. Do taxis run much cheaper?
No, a taxi from central London to Gatwick will probably be of the same sort of order. Road transport between central London and Gatwick is horrible. I always advise against it, unless it's unavoidable. As Mines says, get a taxi from your hotel to Victoria station and get the Gatwick Express train from there - a train departs every 15 minutes, taking 30 minutes to get to Gatwick.

BTW, that sort of money would buy you tickets to many European destinations on a full service airline from London!

We will also be coming into the cruise port at Dover that transport cost is said to be $360! Any suggestions?
Are you going to central London from Dover? Then get a taxi from the ship to the railway station (Dover Priory). Then get a direct train from there to either Victoria or Charing Cross, depending on which is more convenient for your hotel. Then get a taxi from the station to your hotel.

Archived