Which shore excursion in Punta Arenas?

Cruzer Two

Ron: we took the St. Magdalena Island penguin excursion and it was great! There were an estimated 100,000 Magellanic penguins on the island the day we were there--this was in late December, 2003. It involves taking a bus ONTO a ferry, followed by about an hour ferry ride to the island. We were able to get off the bus enroute and wonder around the ferry. We had about 2 hours on the island, where there is also an operational lighthouse, which is open to the visitors. There is a fenced path leading from the shore to the lighthouse, the fences being a single wire supported by metal stakes on both sides of the path. The wire is high enough to allow the penguins to get to the water and back. I have a few photos of the excursion that I will be glad to email you. My email address is buffnbou at cox dot net. Just say something in the subject line about Cruise Critic and photos.

I know there are several other excursions in Punta Arenas, but we were glad to see the penguins Also, after returning from the Island the guide took us around the main plaza in Punta Arenas and then we had the option of staying longer and returning to the ship on our own or returning to the ship via the tour bus.

We took the ship excursion to see the Penguins and I highly recommend it. It was an unbelievable day and you get very close to hundreds upon hundreds of penguin in a beautiful setting. And, once you arrive you can walk around either in small groups or by yourself so you don't have the type of distractions you sometimes get on organized tours. We have seen penguins in other areas but to us this is a must see.

Keith

Did you take a ship sponsored shore excursion in Punta Arenas? If, yes, which one and would you recommend it to others.

Thanks,

Ron

The penguin excursion to Magdalena Island is clearly the preferred tour in Punta Arenas. However, it closes down mid march and there are still a few ships going. You will be OK if you are in January, February or early March. We were a March 20 departure and it was already closed. We did a different penguin tour which was fine but apparently paled in comparison.

:) :D :) :D

All I can say is we did the Otway Sound and Penguin Reserve and it was wonderful. It is about a 40 mile drive. You start off on a regular road and then go on a dirt road and on your way you see other wild life from the bus such as the South American ostrich. I highly recommend this one.

Keith

Archived