Check your reservations!

As long as everything worked out ok why do people think they should be compensated. Problems with computer happen. Do banks give compensate you for their errors. Do other companies? Why do people think that they should always get something?

I was wondering the same thing. I would be happy just to have the situation resolved, and I hope it is for the OP.

Hearing all these stories, I check our reservations online frequantly. I have also made our final payment, well before close off date, 2-3 months. Our TA always sends me a statment after each payment, showing when it was made and currant balance. This is probably me, but I like to know even 4 months out, our cruise is paid for then sit back and relax. I do hope everything is resolved for you both and you can enjoy your cruise.

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCTOBER 11, 2008

OK, so is it correct that you are supposed to have your final payment made by two months from the sailing date? I'm just trying to figure out how much time I have...and does RCI normally send a reminder to pay before just dropping your reservation?

As long as everything worked out ok why do people think they should be compensated. Problems with computer happen. Do banks give compensate you for their errors. Do other companies? Why do people think that they should always get something?
If my bank takes $1000 from my account, I make sure they put back $1000 PLUS interest. If there are enough mistakes, I change banks.

As for the problem at hand, I assume that the cruise line found someone that would pay more for the cabin. Royal Caribbean's profit could be enhanced even more if the new cruisers book directly and there is no commission for OP's travel agent. It sounds like Royal Caribbean has found another way to make money.

I think that RCI have the capabilities to take the other cabin off of hold and give back to you. When I was dealing with a TA they held a cabin for me, but after talking to RCI decided to book direct with them I told them that I had wanted the cabin that was being held with another TA, initially they said they would have to wait until the TA released it, however in the end they nabbed it back from the TA with it on hold (don't know how, maybe because I could tell them who the TA was that was holding the cabin) good luck hope it works out and that you get your aft cabin back

In 1997 we booked an ocean view cabin on the Sovereign of the Seas...RCI canceled it...computer problem also. My TA called RCI, I called RCI, I was furious...finally they got us an "upgrade". The upgrade happened to be a cabin right in the front of the ship (original was right by the elevator...husband used a walking aide at the time), extremely far from the elevator, right next to the anchor and directly below the Promenade deck which I am sorry to say was used for jogging almost 24/7...It was a horrid cabin and the kickers were that the cabin steward, and rest of the crew never know we existed, never cleaned our room, never made our beds or turned down our beds...we were kept awake most of the night by the joggers, and awakened every morning with this wake up call at 5:45 which we never ordered, the toilets broke down, they lost our luggage and many more happy little surprise extras that I didn't appreciate nor want which I shan't mention...

Bottom line a reduction on our next cruise...

So I hope all works out for you...I feel your pain.

Hi Debie & David, It's L J (Lori) from the Jewel 2005. I hope it all works out for you. So far so good with my TA I'm keeping my fingers crossed. After hearing your story I plan to keep checking......just in case

It's nice to know some of us are still around......and if Jimbo & Donna check back in... Hi to them too.

Actually, yes most companies do compensate for errors, and yes, they should. Why? Because they want repeat customers. If you had poor service somewhere or a problem that wasn't rectified to your personal satisfaction, would you use that company again or go to a competitor? I know if I had an issue that aggrevated me, or made me waste time dealing with something that I should never have had to deal with, I want ackowledgement for it. Otherwise, I will and do take my business elsewhere. Is that kinda sad? Yeah, maybe.

I work in the customer service industry and sometimes it kills me to see the expections of some of my customers, but ultimately I know that if I don't give them what they want, someone else will and negative word of mouth always travels faster then positive.

OK, so is it correct that you are supposed to have your final payment made by two months from the sailing date? I'm just trying to figure out how much time I have...and does RCI normally send a reminder to pay before just dropping your reservation?
From the RCCL website:
Q: When is the final payment for my cruise vacation due?

A: Final payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 60 days prior to the sailing date for 3, 4, or 5-night cruise vacations and 70 days prior to the sailing date for 7-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually receive cruise and air documents no later than 28 days before the start of your cruise.

For all holiday sailings, (Christmas and New Year's), payment is due 90 days prior to sailing.

If you have access to your reservation online, you can click on "make a payment" and scroll down to the bottom of the page and it will give you the final payment date (it will be the first date listed under "Cancel After").

OP - That really sucks! I hope you get your aft cabin back! Please keep us informed.

ETA: gdisney - RCCL will not send you a reminder. (forgot to answer that part of your question :o)

Question, after reading so many reports of people losing their rooms, is there a statistic of which rooms are more likely this will happen to, eg Humb Cabins, Suites, Aft Cabins, vs side cabins. Also if say one person makes monthly payments vs one lump payment toward end of cruise.

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCTOBER 11, 2008

Things have not worked out. The OP does not have her original cabin back. Those JS aft cabins are highly sought after cabins. RCI made a mistake and the only fair thing would be to get it back for her. The cruise line made the mistake here, not the customer. I know that when I book a cruise, I book it far in advance to get the cabins that I want. Would I be mad if the cruise line moved me without my consent? Damn straight I would.

Well said cruisingator! The OP is indeed entitled to compensation. To be put in another JS in exchange for the one that was booked months in advance is not acceptable. What would be the point of booking in advance or doing your homework in selecting the best cabin option. Reasonable compensation would be an upgrade to a full suite.

If you picked out a lot to build on and got a prime lot at early building prices, would you let your house be built on a subpar lot because someone came along and was willing to pay a higher price for your lot?

All this talk about raising h--- and demanding compensation...

And the fact of the matter is that all we have is the travel agent's statement that it is all Royal Caribbean's fault.

Hmmm...

If I missed a payment date and lost a client's preferred stateroom....

In my experience, if a payment is made the booking is NOT cancelled.

And the fact of the matter is that all we have is the travel agent's statement that it is all Royal Caribbean's fault.

Hmmm...

The OP's bank statement should tell where the refund came from, either the TA or Royal Caribbean.

Hmmm...

Did you read this comment from the OP?

Quote:

I have done all of my cruises with this TA and I trust her a lot. THe payment was taken out of my account and then returned several days later.

This was nothing the TA did. It was all RCL, they basically admitted it.

First, I want to thank everyone for the support.

rcicruiser: I am not demanding compensation, I really just want my original Aft JS back - as I had paid for it on time and in full. While it would be nice to get an OBC - I don't expect it.

morecruisesnow: I have a TA who is on the phone with RCI everyday trying to get the cabin back - and I know the payment was taken out of my account because I checked it on line. It was returned to me several days later.

Jimbo and LJR213 - It's so nice to hear from the three of you. We are back on the Jewel next year - maybe we'll run into each other on one of these cruises!

Update: We are now in a mid-ship JS on deck nine. This is the third cabin in the last two days. The good news is that my TA can switch us around until the day before we sail if necessary.

Thanks again,

Debie

Update: We are now in a mid-ship JS on deck nine. This is the third cabin in the last two days. The good news is that my TA can switch us around until the day before we sail if necessary.

Thanks again,

Debie

Hi Debie, how did you now get moved to a mid-ship JS? Is your original Aft JS still on hold? I just don't understand why RCCL doesn't release that hold and give it back to you since they made the mistake in the first place.

The OP's bank statement should tell where the refund came from, either the TA or Royal Caribbean.

Any time I have ever booked any type of travel with a TA, my actual credit card is charged by the supplier, not the TA.

Hi Debie, how did you now get moved to a mid-ship JS? Is your original Aft JS still on hold? I just don't understand why RCCL doesn't release that hold and give it back to you since they made the mistake in the first place.

RCL won't release a hold until the time is up on it without authorization. No one has given that authorization, that's why my TA is working with her RCL rep, not just RCL customer service.

BTW - the refund was from RCI/Carnival on my CC statement.

Debie

Holy Cow! The same thing happened to us. We are sailing in March and my husband looked over our credit card statement and RCCL had refunded us part of our deposit. They kept 2 of our rooms and canceled one room saying not enough deposit. The problem is they deposited $400 to one room and $600 to another and therefore canceled the $400 room stating not enough deposit. They corrected it but I thought it was a fluke now I know I'm not the only one.

Explorer of the Seas

Golden Princess

Century

Monarch of the Seas

AOS

They do in the UK.

Why should they not provide some sort of gift as an apology, $50 OBC, dinner for two in the restaurant. Something to make up for the aggravation, time spent finding out there is a problem and trying to resolve it.

Why do some here feel that "Everything worked out in the end." is acceptable.

Cheers,

Peter

Any time I have ever booked any type of travel with a TA, my actual credit card is charged by the supplier, not the TA.

Not all agencies do that (although we do).

Some agencies don't want to wait for their commission check and they process the charge and submit the money to their cruise line less their commission.

However, RCCL is making a LOT of mistakes lately - we are sailing on them and they made a mistake with my own final payment. We now check every payment we make with them 24 hours after we call them in to make sure they are correct.

I recently had a problem with a cruise I booked. I saw a hump Jr suite was available so I booked it. I am Diamond and when I was transferred to C and A they applied my discount. Another confirmation sheet was faxed to me and low and behold, I lost my Hump and they put me on deck 10, just where i didn't want to be. I immediately called back and fortunately got the hump back, but as a forewarning, anytime you do anything online or by phone with RCI be sure to check that your original cabin is still in place.

Archived