Batteries

RocHed11

Hey all, My new camera looks like it will eat through batteries very quickly. 4 at a time, also. So, I am planning to bring at least 16 AA's on our cruise. Maybe more. Will the TSA overly scrutinize this? OR should I just buy 8 rechargeables sp?

T

Hey all, My new camera looks like it will eat through batteries very quickly. 4 at a time, also. So, I am planning to bring at least 16 AA's on our cruise. Maybe more. Will the TSA overly scrutinize this? OR should I just buy 8 rechargeables sp?

T

I would get the 8 rechargables......and carry 4 AA's for an emergency.

Definitely get the rechargeable ones. Just remember to get a charger that allows you to "condition" the batts through a complete discharge every so often. Buy the newer 2500 and 2700 mAh batts which give you lots of power for plenty of shots from your digital camera. Plus the rechargeables will weigh less than the 16 alkalines, even with a charger.

In addition to at least two sets of batts and a charger that will work on both 110 and 220, get some battery holders for your extra sets. That way, they're in one place and easily transportable. I use a little "code" - when they are lined up the same way, they've been charged. If jumbled in the case, they need charging. Remember to recharge while you are at dinner and/or overnight while sleeping. Nothing worse than forgetting and discovering it shortly before your shorex is ready to depart.

Maha Energy makes some really good batteries, along with great chargers. They sell under the Powerex brand name -- go online and you'll get better prices/service than in retail stores. Here's a review of their latest models.

I travel with all of my electronics/electrics in my carry-on, and on occasion have gotten questions about all the wires. But since I'm there to show what they all do, it's a quick screening on those rare occasions.

You would be fine with TSA with the regular batteries but it is a waste of money. I have been using the same four rechargeable batteries for years now so the payback is very quick. Go to something like Target or Walmart and get the rechargeable bateries with the charger. Very reasonable.

Keith

Archived